Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) (11711 Views)

Uber Drivers May Go On Strike In Lagos On Monday Over VIO Clampdown / Truck Drivers Protest Against Law Enforcement Agents At The Apapa Port (VIDEO) / UBER/TAXIFY Drivers Embark On A Strike Action Over Reduction In Fares, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by BrandSpurNG: 7:32am On May 09, 2017
Uber drivers in Lagos yesterday took to the street to protest against 40 per cent fare reduction that the taxi service company introduced recently, a burden, which they claim is being passed on to the drivers.

“I spent N50,000 on fuel last week and UBER paid me just N80,000 when I was supposed to get double of that amount,” one of the drivers said.. The protest started with a peaceful walk from the National Stadium in Surulere yesterday morning, down to the company’s office in Lekki. The drivers claimed the firm, which launched its smartphone technology in Lagos as the fourth city in Africa to embrace the innovative scheme in July 2014, was being unfair to the drivers’ welfare.

With placards calling for halt to the current promo, reduction in fee to 10 per cent, proper verification and adequate security measures, one of the drivers, Olugbenga Steaven, said: “Uber doesn’t give drivers any car, it doesn’t buy fuel or maintain any vehicle, yet it takes 25 per cent of the driver’s earning.”

It would be recalled that an UBER driver was allegedly strangled to death in Lagos last month while his Kia Rio salon registration number KTU 594DM was purportedly stolen. Also, at the weekend, policemen foiled an attempt to rob an UBER driver at Oshodi.

Samantha Allenberg, who handles communications for the taxi firm in Africa, said the protest was caused by a lack of communication. “The 50 per cent off marketing promotion was entirely at the cost of UBER. Driver-partners did not have to pay for this promotion. Should any driver-partner have any questions or concerns about this campaign, they are welcome to contact us via our support channels.”

Read more: https://brandspurng.com/uber-drivers-protest-against-40-fare-reduction/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 7:50am On May 09, 2017
But where is Mynd44 sef?

Day don break for Ojota park
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by brunofarad(m): 7:51am On May 09, 2017
Ok
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 7:52am On May 09, 2017
Una still get mouth for naija.

USA has boycotted uber and they are facing a string of lawsuits.

Seems it only in naija that they still function.

8 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Teekrayne(m): 7:52am On May 09, 2017
Mtcheeew....
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Damidave1124(m): 7:53am On May 09, 2017
Uber and their wahala

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by JayceeYT: 7:53am On May 09, 2017
very bad
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 7:53am On May 09, 2017
it's not by force to be Uber driver.

Register with taxi drivers association of Lagos and carry on your taxi business.

I'm shocked to see that some people took Uber as a full time taxi business.

5 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by shollyBi(m): 7:53am On May 09, 2017
The reduction shouldn't be to the detriment of the drivers na, haba. Na wa o. Na drivers go suffer alone
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by sirugos(m): 7:54am On May 09, 2017
Protest everywere in nigeria.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by crackerspub: 7:54am On May 09, 2017
When will Uber start sleeping there IPO

Companies with lots of scandals at the end becomes the most success

Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful "WarrenBuffet"
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by shadowsblu(m): 7:55am On May 09, 2017
SO WHERE IS LALLALLALLATICLASALAA SEF

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by selfemployed(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2017
how safe is uber?
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by jeeqaa7(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2017
go and sleep
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by nifemi25(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2017
Enough of this slavery.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Teewhy2: 7:56am On May 09, 2017
Y
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by autotrader014(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2017
It is well my people.

Mean while we have super clean Lexus GX460 toks. Car is extra clean, just imported into the Country with complete custom duty. This machine is for the big boys. Serious inquiries only.

N16million

Call or whatsapp 09056222781

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by donfemo(m): 7:57am On May 09, 2017
Joavid:
it's not by force to be Uber driver.

Register with taxi drivers association of Lagos and carry on your taxi business.

I'm shocked to see that some people took Uber as a full time taxi business.

They will gladly seek an alternative if you give them one. Uber came with a more organized system and it was working until competitors try pulling them down. Taxi drivers association of Lagos is one with so many uncertainties.

4 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by kings09(m): 7:58am On May 09, 2017
Ok
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by iVentHub(m): 8:00am On May 09, 2017
Power of competition.
This is the kind of surprise every lady wish for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59NI-4ybRs
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 8:00am On May 09, 2017
Comply
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by JefLonDon(m): 8:00am On May 09, 2017
My People Suffer for Lack Of Knowledge

My heart goes to does who actually thought Uber was a real business.

Some used their last funds to purchase expensive cars cuz they heard "Uber Dey Pay"

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Dbeendf(f): 8:00am On May 09, 2017
Saw this in Lekki
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by takenadoh: 8:01am On May 09, 2017
Well maybe they probably don't understand and the driver that said he made 80k a week that's over 30k in just one week, normal civil servants don't get that.
What Uber is saying is that it slahsed it's own 25% to give users the promo, which means more rides more money for drivers

4 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by takenadoh: 8:01am On May 09, 2017
Incase you as a Driver don't like uber use your vehicle for normal "a drop" services and SEe how much u'll make

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by eluquenson(m): 8:03am On May 09, 2017
Uber is full of scandalous activities which led to 7 executives of Uber resigning their positions in the headquarter.

This Uber is not really ready for business in Nigeria, they are simply too afraid of competition.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by cogbuagu: 8:06am On May 09, 2017
Ok
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by geekybabe(f): 8:12am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:
Una still get mouth for naija.

USA has boycotted uber and they are facing a string of lawsuits.

Seems it only in naija that they still function.

The world is not just made up of nigerians. Stop displaying your ignorance. Uber operates in more than 300 cities across the world.

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 8:13am On May 09, 2017
I wonder why someone will waste a new car on a cab business. I hate to see much mileage on a car. You see a 2016 vehicle with 100k mileage all because of Uber. Mtcheeeeew
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by davodyguy: 8:21am On May 09, 2017
BrandSpurNG:
Uber drivers in Lagos yesterday took to the street to protest against 40 per cent fare reduction that the taxi service company introduced recently, a burden, which they claim is being passed on to the drivers.

“I spent N50,000 on fuel last week and UBER paid me just N80,000 when I was supposed to get double of that amount,” one of the drivers said.. The protest started with a peaceful walk from the National Stadium in Surulere yesterday morning, down to the company’s office in Lekki. The drivers claimed the firm, which launched its smartphone technology in Lagos as the fourth city in Africa to embrace the innovative scheme in July 2014, was being unfair to the drivers’ welfare.

If not for greed.

80,000 - 50,000 expenses = N30,000 gross profit.
N30,000 X 4 weeks = N120,000 gross income for a month.

How many graduates earn N70,000 a month?

Pathetic driver complaining

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air. / Chinese Embassy To Open Consular Office In Anambra - Commissioner / DIY Info On Schengen Visa Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.