Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,955 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) (11724 Views)

Uber Drivers May Go On Strike In Lagos On Monday Over VIO Clampdown / Truck Drivers Protest Against Law Enforcement Agents At The Apapa Port (VIDEO) / UBER/TAXIFY Drivers Embark On A Strike Action Over Reduction In Fares, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by drered(m): 8:21am On May 09, 2017
SirJeffry:
I wonder why someone will waste a new car on a cab business. I hate to see much mileage on a car. You see a 2016 vehicle with 100k mileage all because of Uber. Mtcheeeeew

Ahn ahn. Uncle. 100k mileage on a 2016 vehicle. Isn't that exaggerating just 'a little bit'.. Fear God.

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by drered(m): 8:23am On May 09, 2017
takenadoh:
Well maybe they probably don't understand and the driver that said he made 80k a week that's over 30k in just one week, normal civil servants don't get that.
What Uber is saying is that it slahsed it's own 25% to give users the promo, which means more rides more money for drivers
And the uber drivers/partners are saying. Uber didn't make any reduction in their own cut but are making them bear the total cost of the reduction.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 8:25am On May 09, 2017
geekybabe:

The world is not just made up of nigerians. Stop displaying your ignorance. Uber operates in more than 300 cities across the world.

And stop displaying your own ignorance.

Uber has shut operations in every country but Nigeria.

Google is your friend.

Ignoramus.

3 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nihilist: 8:40am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

Google is your friend.

Ignoramus.

Uber that I still used just last week in the UK?

Is this one alright at all?

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Lexusgs430: 8:45am On May 09, 2017
When taxify don dey encroach nko?
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Lexusgs430: 8:46am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

Google is your friend.

Ignoramus.

In every country?

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 8:55am On May 09, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 8:55am On May 09, 2017
Nihilist:

Uber that I still used just last week in the UK?

Is this one alright at all?

Which kain UK.

You dey UK but your IP address is Nigeria.

Keep wishing, you'll get there one day.

4 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by BiggyBamBam: 9:01am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:
Una still get mouth for naija.

USA has boycotted uber and they are facing a string of lawsuits.

Seems it only in naija that they still function.

Could you please STOP the misinformation?
USA did not boycott Uber. They were only banned in 5 Cities (Not even States) in the US.
Don't say what you don't know!
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by bencarson007(m): 9:04am On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

80,000 - 50,000 expenses = N30,000 gross profit.
N30,000 X 4 weeks = N120,000 gross income for a month.

How many graduates earn N70,000 a month?

Pathetic driver complaining
. Please let's be a bit reasonable with the guy... Won't he maintain his vehicle, and feed his family or do some other miscellaneous spendings... I did a hands on approach to cab driving and make net of 10k every day bringing me to 70k per week if I work on sundays also and that's at least 300k in a month... So don't blame the guy... He has the potential to make more if he were working on his own... Bros haba, u dey look the economy so... 120k no go do anything o

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by BiggyBamBam: 9:05am On May 09, 2017
bencarson007:
. Please let's be a bit reasonable with the guy... Won't he maintain his vehicle, and feed his family or do some other miscellaneous spendings... I did a hands on approach to cab driving and make net of 10k every day bringing me to 70k per week if I work on sundays also and that's at least 300k in a month... So don't blame the guy... He has the potential to make more if he were working on his own... Bros haba, u dey look the economy so... 120k no go do anything o

Uber drivers make an average of $45000 a year in the US. Nothing stops the Nigerian drivers from making N4million a year!

Uber also take 25% in the US.

Nigeria drivers should sign up for the INNOSON MOTORS scheme to pay instalment for their cars.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by paddycool(m): 9:06am On May 09, 2017
Uber to me is greedy...in order to compete with other competitors uber has to take alot of things into consideration, these are;
1. Standard.....uber does not accept anyhow car but cars from 2006 upwards while others accept any car. This means to put ur car on uber platform u spend alot of money.
2. Uber service charge/fee is the highest among all other competitors...some even charge as low as 12 to 15% while uber charge 25%
3. Uber vehicle must be sound at all time....full option....while others can do without even AC.
4. Uber has a very high standard and therefore should put alot of things in consideration in fare reduction.
5. Uber reduce base fee from 400 to 200, minute/9 to minute/5, km/90 to km/55 without reducing their service charge at all still 25%

Ii is very sad that anytime things are introduce in Nigeria which work elsewhere with respect n regard to the local economic situations when it comes to Nigeria it is different. I will advice every partner/driver to temporarily withdraw thier cars from the platform untill uber do the needfull......my opinion!

3 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by objobj: 9:06am On May 09, 2017
Joavid:
it's not by force to be Uber driver.

Register with taxi drivers association of Lagos and carry on your taxi business.

I'm shocked to see that some people took Uber as a full time taxi business.

backward guy spotted
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Dandsome: 9:07am On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

Some of these drivers actually remit money to the car owners then they keep the rest as theirs. Some go home with 40k or less monthly

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nihilist: 9:09am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

Which kain UK.

You dey UK but your IP address is Nigeria.

Keep wishing, you'll get there one day.

My friend shut up and admit your folly.

3 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by blank(f): 9:32am On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

Sorry, you didn't include other direct costs like costs of maintenance, lease payments deductions and then payments to the partners (owners). The money is not that much.

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Rainmaker69(m): 9:35am On May 09, 2017
BrandSpurNG:
“I spent N50,000 on fuel last week and UBER paid me just N80,000 when I was supposed to get double of that amount,” one of the drivers said..
50k on fuel? Na inter-state hin dey drive? Many of these drivers are dishonest. Do they protest when fares were increased? Do they protest when they receive bonuses? The best time to protest is before you enter the business. If it doesn't pay you, don't join, or even better, delete the app and buy taxi license from Lagos State.
The company is fighting for its life and the livelihood of its members. Ordinarily, it would help if there was more inclusiveness in the decision-making process, but price penetration is a well-known sales strategy.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by geekybabe(f): 9:43am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

Google is your friend.

Ignoramus.

Lols. Still boils down to your ignorance. Google is not always right. Cos i still used an uber yesterday and i am miles away from nigeria.
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 9:47am On May 09, 2017
RoyalBoutique:
Una still get mouth for naija.

USA has boycotted uber and they are facing a string of lawsuits.

Seems it only in naija that they still function.

You Sabi, I sent this to Nairametrics this morning.

Good compilation so far, just that there is no foreign content and I think it is something I may be able to help with. You may want to talk about Uberng in the next mail. 

Apparently, Uber's challenges is not limited to it's international problems, namely:  Poor Leadership Skills of Kalanick-seen insulting a driver complaining to him about lower prices,
Bad Workplace Culture- Male dominated and  not too respectful of women which resulted in the mass exodus of key executives in Uber in the first quarter and has since promise to revamp it's workplace culture. 
Use of "Greyball" an app allegedly designed to evade law enforcement agents in areas where they are not authorised to work in the USA, a court hearing is on the way and its court action with Google on allegations of theft of intellectual property by a former Google employer working on its autonomous car-Waymo- copying files they now use in Uber's autonomous self-driving cars, OTTO,  NOW:
The problem has found its way into its major  frontier market ‎, particularly, the largest market in Africa-Nigeria. As drivers took to the streets to protests the 40% cut in fares with Uber's commission still standing at 25%, which is not unrelated to the complain made by the Driver Kalanick was seen insulting- after giving him a ride,Go watch on YouTube. 

I wanted to send this to Bloomberg.

Could this be the end of Uber?

Fiyin(Pseudonym).
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 10:05am On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

Are we talking about working under someone that requires no capital.
Look at it this way, you make N120,000 monthly as u stated. But the owner of the vehicle has to pay the driver since most drivers don't own the vehicles.
Let's say N50k is being paid monthly to the driver, then the owner will be left with about N70k.
Hope you ve also considered maintenance. The vehicle usage for uber is different from personal usage that drive to work, park and drive home after work. We are talking about high mileage that will tell on the vehicle.
That vehicle will never be the same after two years.
Remember that when into a business, you ve to grow, tell me how you will grow when you can't make enough profit that will increase your capital base. That means by the next 3 to 5 years you will be struggling to maintain you present vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 10:23am On May 09, 2017
Nihilist:

My friend shut up and admit your folly.

Your IP still Nigerian ip address.

If you like go to Google Images and download pictures, it will not change anything.

Uber has been scrapped worldwide.

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by RoyalBoutique(m): 10:24am On May 09, 2017
geekybabe:

Lols. Still boils down to your ignorance. Google is not always right. Cos i still used an uber yesterday and i am miles away from nigeria.

Miles away from Nigeria ke.

Then why is your IP address showing Nigeria?

Amebo.

2 Likes

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by linearity: 11:49am On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

They also bear insurance cost, maintenance, etc. Plus, this is a business venture, where they bore a lot of risks and should not be compared to a 9-5 job.

I don't know, if you have repaired your car once, one unfortunate car repairs can put you in a hole or out of business for several months.

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by fantastique4: 12:09pm On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

stop talking out of ignorance. Many of these driver do not own a car of their own,hence they often rent a car on aa weekly basis, which is between 40k and 45k. How does he pay 40k car rental out of the 30k left with him? Let alone making his own profit.

1 Like

Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Mythinghot(m): 1:08pm On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

You just reasoned like an overfed child. So what about maintenance, wear and tear, hazards like police and the rest?
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 09, 2017
takenadoh:

What Uber is saying is that it slahsed it's own 25% to give users the promo, which means more rides more money for drivers

Don't say what you don't know
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 09, 2017
davodyguy:
If not for greed.

I'm sure it was before the slash , now he'll be making only 60% of that minus maintenance cost
Re: Uber Drivers Protest Against 40% Fare Reduction (Full details) by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 09, 2017
Rainmaker69:

The best time to protest is before you enter the business.

What are you saying So you enter an agreement with a company that they'll pay you a certain amount for services rendered and let's say after you work for a while they tell you that they have slashed what they'll pay you by 40% for the same service you're rendering and you won't complain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Settled In Abidjan / Should I Relocate To JOS Or OSHOGBO??? / Ethiopian Airlines In Talks To Take Over Arik Air.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.