Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo (1170 Views)

2019: Atiku Abubakar And INTELS By Churchill Okonkwo / Sorry Atiku, You Can’t Buy Integrity What Is Rotten Is Rotten- Churchill Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 09, 2017
IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo

To think that an Independent State of Biafra is in the best interest of Ndigbo in Nigeria is still puzzling to me.
BY CHURCHILL OKONKWO
MAY 09, 2017
In a treacherous Nigerian political terrain, embarking on a journey without a map is akin to a ram going to a head-fight without a skull. Even with a map, you still need to know the contours and other geophysical attributes of your domain in order to navigate the challenges you will encounter in the course of the journey. Ndigbo have a saying that, if a child is not well prepared and mature enough to seek what killed his father, what killed his father may kill him, too.

Some of the consequences of embarking on a journey without a map are that your trails will be lined with thorns rather than roses; your vision will be blurred rather than clear, all of which could make your journey endless. In the case of IPOB, the interesting outcome of attempting to navigate the complex Nigerian political terrain without a map was getting stuck, only to be rescued by your uncles you once characterized as “saboteurs”. The first lesson for IPOB: a newborn child does not throw his father up and a boisterous show does not imply knowledge.

Talking about noise, it is an irony that Nnamdi Kanu, who is meant to be Odimegwu Ojukwu reincarnate, landed in the tummy of FKK, who in an attempt to belittle Ndigbo once claimed to have slept with Ojukwu’s wife. What a journey, what an embarrassment. I hope that by now, my IPOB brothers would have admitted that they were heading in the wrong direction after watching the IPOB leader run into the arms of the Yoruba tribe they characterized as “betrayers”. Second lesson: during a famine, you will be forced to eat what you earlier said you disliked.

So, what should you do when you realize that you are facing the wrong direction in the course of a journey? Keep wallowing in the wilderness? Turnaround? Ask for direction? I guess the Chinese proverb “to know the road ahead, you need to ask those who are coming back”, is a good start. Where will IPOB find those that are coming back? In history books, oral and written.

The Pan-Africanist writer and historian, Prof. John Henrik Clarke, wrote that even though history is not everything, it is a starting point. He referred to history as a clock that people use to tell their political and cultural time of day. This history, he stated, is a compass we should use to find ourselves on the map of human geography.

Using a compass to navigate your way to a destination is not a dumb luck. It is paying attention to a wonderful tool of science. If the brains behind IPOP had paid attention to the history of Biafran Civil War or the history of the last two independent countries in Africa, Eretria, and South Sudan, they would have realized the folly in a headless ram initiating a head-fight. As such, they should have started by drawing a map, even if it is a sketch.

Without a clear map, one will certainly not know where he or she is. To think that an Independent State of Biafra is in the best interest of Ndigbo in Nigeria is still puzzling to me. To imagine that an independent country could be realized by going to an International Court of no consequence even to countries that obey laws was an illusion. It is also laughable and an act of lazy analysis to compare the EU or Scottish referendum to the realization of Biafra. Without any political backing, therefore, it is a big joke to be calling for a referendum on social media.

Here is a fact: no matter how long one travels in the wrong direction, getting to the right destination will remain elusive. The navigation to any destination should truly begin in the hearts of the voyager. This is the most important map of all. Where is the heart of Ndigbo? If we generate a heat map of Ndigbo, what will be the spread of our data matrix on the map of Nigeria?

If those behind this journey without map had measured the footprint of Ndigbo in Nigeria, they would have realized that the fastest way to get to the top of the mountain is to climb down. Because more than 60% of the heat map of the heartbeat of Ndigbo in Nigeria are outside the domain of the enclave of Igbo states, any map of our domain should be boundless.

IPOB should make a heat map of Ndigbo in Nigeria and distribute it to all their followers and sympathizers. The intent is for them to stare at the spatial distribution of the heartbeat of our brothers and sisters anytime they get that strange feeling of destroying the “zoo”. By so doing, they will realize that destruction of the “zoo” is like committing suicide.

The struggle to ensure an equitable Nigeria, essential to the vibrancy of Ndigbo should not be about changing the map of Nigeria. Rather, what is needed is mapping a change of the way we assert ourselves in our domains irrespective of whether it is in Lagos or Kano. My duty is to bring Ndigbo out of this lethargy of always seeing themselves as poor victims that are being trampled by every other tribe in Nigeria. Not everyone is trampling on us. We are champs.

This botched journey should be a lesson that an old woman that provokes a fight but is not pushed to the ground, will provoke again. It is hoped that the voyagers have discovered that Biafra is not and should never be all about them. From here, it is hoped that they will learn to be who they are meant to be in the first place - ordinary mortals with no superior powers. When a black ant bites the buttocks, it learns common sense.

Before IPOB, there was MOSSOB. Like Uwazurike, like Nnamdi Kanu? Time will tell. After this distraction from what the focus of Ndigbo should be in Nigeria, there is currently a pause, a space. In that space lies our freedom to choose how to respond. How should Ndigbo respond? Push for restructuring of Nigeria state? Look inwards and develop the Igbo States? Or Both?

I am happy to hear that Ohaneze will attempt to “convince” Nnamdi Kanu of the need to push for a restructuring of Nigeria rather than acting like a turtle that geared up beside a river that swallowed an elephant as if it will fly over it. To succeed, however, Ohaneze should let the experience from IPOB’s journey without map shape their approach in agitating for restructuring.

As the call for restructuring garner momentum, Ohaneze, just like IPOB, should know that some renegades in the zoo that made the most out of the captivity of Nnamdi Kanu, will be key players. They should know that it will take the cooperation of the dissatisfied ethnic nationalities and different interest groups in Nigeria to make headway with restructuring. As such, Ohaneze should be careful in their actions, not to destroy the bridges that will be crucial in crossing the shark infested rivers of a restructuring. A word is enough for the wise.

In the final analysis, the need to have a map before embarking on any checkered political journey in Nigeria, including restructuring is very crucial. The concept of ebule ji isi eje ogu (A ram goes to fight with its head), without a strategy, even with courage, is outdated and folly.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/05/09/ipob-anatomy-journey-without-map-churchill-okonkwo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by OAUTemitayo: 9:19pm On May 09, 2017
They will soon call the op Afonja

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Xway(m): 9:22pm On May 09, 2017
Churchill okonkwo we have many of ur likes e.g okorocha, joe igbokwe.

Ipob has a clear map and guidelines on how biafran nation shall be govern. I will advise you to go and ask for one and to think of it, this write up is from Nigeria most treacherous and most bias news media.

4 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by MrAlfa: 9:24pm On May 09, 2017
Ewu heat map.We are everywhere, not only in the zoo.

Having our own self rule and determination is not to the detriment of anybody except those that believe they can't survive without us.

5 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by MrAlfa: 9:25pm On May 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
They will soon call the op Afonja

OP is a one naijeria apologist. His real qualification is "a misguided efulefu".

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 09, 2017
MrAlfa:

OP is a one naijeria apologist. His real qualification is "a misguided efulefu".

Na you no want commot for Nigeria o. I dey my Ibadan dey wack Ewedu ati gbegiri for Iwo road, then my eyes caught the akpruka bus offloading ya people from sad beast. Hypocrisy is your bane

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by kingzizzy: 9:45pm On May 09, 2017
Biafra is about self determination. I can understand that not all Igbos will buy the idea of Biafra but this is democracy. What the majority choose is what the minority has to follow. If majority of the Igbo nation are for Biafra, the minority that does not roll with will have to.

I support 100%, now and forever. I think that Igbos are better off out of Nigeria along with minorities who are comfortable with Igbos.

Igbos have lost too much in the name of a redundant colonial term known as "one Nigeria"

They lost millions of souls, lost their sovereignty, the lost control of their resources and they lost control of their politics.

Meanwhile, Nigeria is a complete disaster.

I hope and pray that My fellow Igbos will exit Nigeria and truly begin the important work of nation building in Biafra

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Splendid235: 10:29pm On May 09, 2017
The write up is utter balderdash.Nigeria should stoop and offer us a credible argument why we should drop BIAFRA agitation not to cajole,intimidate or offer untenable alternative of restructuring.dnt tell us who and who are supporting or against the BIAFRA question.the fact remains that the entity called Nigeria is a fraud and a big one for that matter.we are not one and will never be one.i make bold to say that this contraption can never develop if the status quo remains.it is only benefitting a few and the few wants it to remain. even when we were fighting for independence from the evil colonialists,so many people were against it yet we succeeded and so shall this agitation be.one thing is very sure.BIAFRA must come.

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by genearts(m): 10:31pm On May 09, 2017
finally, the sensible ones have started speaking out

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by theDEVILisHERE: 10:43pm On May 09, 2017
U don't need a map if u know ur way
Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by GrandGarcon: 10:55pm On May 09, 2017
genearts:
finally, the sensible ones have started speaking out
please tell me just one thing that is sensible in that long trashy epistle. Just one

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by genearts(m): 11:23pm On May 09, 2017
GrandGarcon:
please tell me just one thing that is sensible in that long trashy epistle. Just one

1. you do not have a realistic road map to achieve bia
2. you are boasting of destroying the zoo when u have no heat map to see how disadvantaged you are if a war breaks
3. that you leader ate in the house of a man that belittled ojukwu by boasting that he slept with his (ojukwu) wife and the number 1 igbo hater in nigeria

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by laudate: 3:09am On May 10, 2017
genearts:
2. you are boasting of destroying the zoo when u have no heat map to see how disadvantaged you are if a war breaks
3. that your leader ate in the house of a man that belittled ojukwu by boasting that he slept with his (ojukwu) wife and the number 1 igbo hater in nigeria

Eeewo!! shocked sad See finishing of the highest order..... chai! shocked

4 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Aufbauh(m): 5:13am On May 10, 2017
What I've learnt from this article is that, IPOB is a headless ram initiating a head-fight'. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by agbangam: 5:53am On May 10, 2017
Make I book space, we go comment later

1 Like

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Ahmadgani(m): 6:07am On May 10, 2017
Lord lugard will forever remain a failure. Nigeria will never be one no matter how hard we try.
Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Nobody: 6:33am On May 10, 2017
I don't think many understand what Mr. Churchill was trying to pass across-every one(pro and anti-Biafra alike) just explained it the way he/she felt or understood it like those six blind men in that story touching the elephant. Reading and comprehension has probably failed us all. From what I read,the author of that piece did not at any point to advocate the total dumping of the whole concept of secession-he merely counseled a re-think and re-strategize approach to the whole thing. That said I must add,I am not Mr. Churchill's mouth-piece. I just feel that the intentions of the article has been misunderstood by all on both side of the divide from the comments that I have read so far here on NL. P.S. Mr. Churchill's name should be Proverb. The man just kept reeling out the addages and proverbs like my grand-father. Whew!

1 Like

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by patrick89(m): 6:50am On May 10, 2017
Honestly you will agree with me that IPOB,Nnamdi Kanu, and Biafra have given so many nonentities Voice and attention, they have gotten what to write about, to be relevant. They seek to be revalidated as a better "igbo man" unlike others, they seek retweets, likes, share and reference, at the end of the day.. They will fizzle out, the message will continue to be germinate and bear fruits. I advice you all to drop it already.
Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by tanteta(m): 6:51am On May 10, 2017
Real food for thought.
Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Ikenna0b: 7:03am On May 10, 2017
I'm getting so bored of the same line by this one Nigerian apologist.

Nnamdi ran to the arms of the Yoruba? How?

Did Nnamdi extend an invitation to yoruba to come to his court date? Did he?
FFK extended an invitation to Nnamdi Kanu to come and eat with him, he obliged like he did for everybody that did so after his released like a true leader does showcasing he holds no grudge nor care one bit about to little miserable hatred the yoruba and othersee like them have for him yet all this loser one Nigerian soloist and unity beggars won't let us hear word. The sad part about is they have yet to realize the more effort they put in trying to castigated Nnamdi, the more supporters he gets and the more people listen to him.
But hey, continue in y'all effort. It's rather "fruitful" right?

While I'm at it, your Niggeria that you all seems to be trying to get ppl to "restructure" is over a 100 years old and despite its years, it is still one of the most underdeveloped nation in the world and by the looks of it, it is not getting better and will never get better. Wonder why you people are more worried about trying to salvage a drowning ship? Rather take the chances of Biafra turning into South Sudan than continue in the obvious misery that is "one Nigeria".

1 Like

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by modath(f): 7:15am On May 10, 2017
genearts:

3. that you leader ate in the house of a man that belittled ojukwu by boasting that he slept with his (ojukwu) wife and the number 1 igbo hater in nigeria

Ouchhhhhhhhhh!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by Nobody: 7:24am On May 10, 2017
IPOB now like ..

1 Like

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by GrandGarcon: 8:01am On May 10, 2017
genearts:

I asked you to point out to me where that useless afonja wanabe made a sense and you are writing an epistle.

1 Like

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by genearts(m): 8:05am On May 10, 2017
GrandGarcon:
I asked you to point out to me where that useless afonja wanabe made a sense and you are writing an epistle.

can't read? comprenhension issues? should i animate it for u? lol

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by GrandGarcon: 8:06am On May 10, 2017
genearts:

can't read? comprenhension issues? should i animate it for u? lol
Na YOU or me wey you dey talk about?
Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by genearts(m): 8:26am On May 10, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Na YOU or me wey you dey talk about?

state your problem lets see how we can help you and stop trying to divert attention

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo by GrandGarcon: 8:34am On May 10, 2017
genearts:

state your problem lets see how we can help you and stop trying to divert attention
WTF? point out at least one good point the afonja wanabe made any good point, that is all I asked you to do.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Report Card to be presented to Nigerians On May 29- Presidency / OSINBAJO: The North And Ungovernable Nigeria Is Back / Albinos Are Not Halfcast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.