Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,297 members, 7,954,182 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:47 PM

Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? (5633 Views)

Anja Ringgren Lovén Marks 4 Years She Rescued Hope, A Child Branded As Witch / My Wife Is Using Excuses To Abandon Me / Need A Healthy Female Ready To Raise A Kid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Blonchilli(m): 9:42am On May 13, 2017
MurderX:

Correct! Nigerians will only see this point after the third world war or 1000yrs later.
Thank God we have another critical thinker in Nigeria cheesy
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by samtol4(m): 12:24pm On May 13, 2017
Majesticniyi:

Challenge what views? The Bible and other religious books are the foundations for most of those books you think should be used to instill discipline in children. I don't waste my time on irrelevant discussions. The Bible you so vehemently oppose has taught me to 'answer not a fool in his foolishness' and a fool according to that book is not an unlearned person but he who says there is no God.
well said
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 13, 2017
I've never read a topic so stupid....
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 13, 2017
MissCuppy:
I've never read a topic so stupid....

How is the topic stupid?
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 13, 2017
@Acidosis, I tried reading your comment but I am having a hard time deciphering the point you are trying to make. Could you lay out your argument more clearly?

Thanks.
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by chika1996: 7:16pm On May 13, 2017
Trudax:

Sometimes I wonder why Nigerians can't debate topics they disagree with without throwing insults. Can't you challenge views you don't agree with in a civilized way?
civilised ko civilised ni,I don't know what you wrote but the heading alone shows u re clueless
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by bebe2(f): 9:45pm On May 13, 2017
Trudax:

Sometimes I wonder why Nigerians can't debate topics they disagree with without throwing insults. Can't you challenge views you don't agree with in a civilized way?

It's lack of intelligence. Simple!
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by DonOms(m): 2:22pm On May 16, 2017
Trudax:
@ Crackhaus, Onegai, megareal, lovelygurl, donoms, joavid, fadamant.

You guys commented well on my other threads. Please I would like you to comment on this one too. The responses I am getting are quite appalling.

Hello Trudax. I am just seeing your mention. First things first, I am a Christian and I practice that way of life as best as I can. But I am also as objective as it gets so I am not in support of those who were quick to sentimentally censure you without engaging in an intelligent discourse with understanding of your viewpoint before making theirs.

Your proposition on the said topic in this discourse roots from a place of intelligence, deep thinking and Individualism but your topic may have been blended with the same common error I observe with issues that have to do with religion, followership and beliefs. You cannot say the Bible as a moral guide to raise a child is harmful and ineffective without first assessing what methodology was adopted in an attempt to create that moral. That's the error.

Most of those who use the Bible as a moral guide to instil the concept of morality in children often misuse the Bible teachings as a means to a moral end without understanding the implication of their process and how it may counteract the intended goal of rigid progressive morality.

The field 'Child Psychology' exists simply because children process very differently from adults. Children are inquisitively daring, stubborn and poor in judgement. And it is partly because of this (and debatably wrong too) that adults use bible teachings, fables and taboos to instil morality in children so as to maintain a balance as best as they can. Of course until the child grows and realises it was either all lies or half-truths and becomes defiant, rebellious and recalcitrant. I think Acidiosis mentioned this in his early argument.

The failure you think the Bible-use for morality in children possesses is not a failure of Christianity or the Bible but the failure of these "religious adults" (or Self-made hypocritical moralists, if I may) who teach half-truths even God did not teach. I don't entirely blame us Adults though, Children are a complex when it comes to teaching them. I only think we should refine our methods.

You were wrong to say the Bible teaches us to do something simply because God instructed it. No, we always have options of good and evil - and their consequences, of which God advises we choose good. This is same about morality that precedes religions or Christianity - We always have a choice and its accompanying consequences.

I agree with you that the concept of hell to instil fear in children is bad. Especially when that Child now learns about grace later in life. He/She may be inclined to doing wrong only to ask for forgiveness without seeing the need to strive for perfection or moral uprightness. Hell should be taught, yes, but not as a means to sell the idea of fear but only of consequence just as Jesus Christ taught.

As for the violence and killings or suggestive anti-moral acts in the Old Testament, I do not see those as moral lessons to be taught to Children and I don't think even the "religious adults" teach them for the reasons of instilling morality. Those are completely different stories that carry different meanings and should not even be in this discourse as regards the scope of your topic.

Having made my point, and in the hope it was well conveyed albeit lengthy, I would summarily disagree that using the Bible as a moral guide to raise a child is harmful and ineffectual but the methods employed by adults in these moral teachings with the Bible cries for a review and change. In my opinion, the tool is fine but the handling and process are faulty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 18, 2017
robotix:

Mr Atheist, I dare you to challenge the muslim and tell that their koran is not good foundation for their kids as a means of instilling moral values and see if you survive 24 hours.

You who is talking fail to realise that everyman has right of choice. Not everything is meant to be opposed because we have choice just as you have a choice to become an atheist that you are (don't deny it)

Learn to respect people's choice as long as life is not lost in the process.
Rubbish argument. So the innocent child with a blank mind, of whom you're taking advantage by assaulting him mentally through indoctrinating your toxic ideas into him doesn't have a CHOICE? Is he your property? A means to an end, and not an end in himself? Doesn't he have the right NOT to be indoctrinated? Doesn't he have the right to be allowed to grow to be exposed to diverse systems of thought so that he can CHOOSE for himself? Why do you consider it your right to choose for him? What kind of "choice" is that?

You Abrahamists are just so appalling and ridiculous in your thinking.

1 Like

Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by robotix: 9:58pm On May 18, 2017
BlazingAyomikun:
Rubbish argument. So the innocent child with a blank mind, of whom you're taking advantage by assaulting him mentally through indoctrinating your toxic ideas into him doesn't have a CHOICE? Is he your property? A means to an end, and not an end in himself? Doesn't he have the right NOT to be indoctrinated? Doesn't he have the right to be allowed to grow to be exposed to diverse systems of thought so that he can CHOOSE for himself? Why do you consider it your right to choose for him? What kind of "choice" is that?

You Abrahamists are just so appalling and ridiculous in your thinking.

Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by aflame100(m): 6:36am On May 19, 2017
Trudax:
I am not questioning the validity of anyone's religious beliefs, I am just examining the act of using the bible as a guide to instill moral values in a child through reading the texts to the child and allowing the child access to it.

I don't think the bible is the best foundation for developing a child's morality. Like I said in my thread title, I think it's dangerously harmful.

Now I am not saying the bible isn't an efficient mechanism to imbue good moral values in a child, I am just saying it's not the best and it's also not the most efficient.

First of all, the bible is very instructive. It dishes out morality on the table of transcendent authority. It tells you that you must do something because god wants you to. This is also what parents tell their kids. They tell them not to steal or lie because god forbids them to lie. I believe it's more effective when a child does something because he understands the reason for doing that thing, than when he does that thing because he's been commanded by an invincible being not to do that thing.

Secondly, I think introducing a child to the notion of hell is terribly bad. This could have devastatingly harmful effects on the mind of the child. Imagine the mental trauma a child could go through when he contemplates the possibility of going to hell for committing even the smallest of crimes.

Thirdly, the bible is replete with stories that purport to espouse moral values, but actually convey the opposite of progressive moral values.
Example is the story of Abraham and Isaac. What moral value does this convey besides the ethics of committing murder? How about the story of Lot's wife? I don't see what else it can teach a child besides imbuing the child with a maddening amount of fear and crippling submission to every ordinance of God, despite what those ordinances are.

Finally, in my opinion exposing children to all the death and killing in the bible, at a young age, can have devastatingly bad effects on their mental and moral growth.
This is trash and a nonsense write up. very meaningless.
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Nobody: 6:34am On May 20, 2017
[quote author=robotix post=56656956][/quote] Idio'ts like you are incapable of improvising a witty response. The bullsh*t you're capable of generating, the sole purpose for your existence, doesn't go beyond this, buffoonish, spineless arthropod.
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Water101(f): 1:48pm On May 20, 2017
End time thread!!!

1 Like

Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Michaelnsd: 3:50pm On May 26, 2017
MurderX:

Correct! Nigerians will only see this point after the third world war or 1000yrs later.
wow... I can't imagine a super power suddenly wages war on Nigeria... Are we going to be able to defends ourselves... We the giant of Africa
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by Michaelnsd: 4:03pm On May 26, 2017
I agree with some of the things you stated above @trudax. But mind you, only a very few ppl would agree with you, religion is very sensitive to we Nigerians even though we are skilled in corruption and don't help one another in times of dire need of the other person, most will ignore and move on both home and abroad, they wont render a helping hands to their brothers or sister if they wont gain this or that in return, that's how majority of us are in a nutshell. Most on this tread will insult you and be lucky if you have 50 ppl agree with you or partially with you out of a population of 170 million ppl.
Re: Is using The Bible As A Moral Guide To Raise A Child Harmful? by robotix: 7:37pm On Jun 04, 2017
BlazingAyomikun:
Idio'ts like you are incapable of improvising a witty response. The bullsh*t you're capable of generating, the sole purpose for your existence, doesn't go beyond this, buffoonish, spineless arthropod.
is that all?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Ways Marriage Negatively Impacts Some Women / . / Ladies, How Do You Handle Sexual Urges While Single?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.