Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,702 members, 7,837,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison (2087 Views)

Woman Jailed In Kirikiri For “opening An Account” (photo) / Rare Photo Of Prisoners Sleeping At Kirikiri Maximum Security Prison / "My Refusal To Have Sex Landed Me In Kirikiri"; Lady Arrested By Police. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by pukena(m): 6:17pm On May 12, 2017
I couldn't sleep well last night; my mind was restless. For the first time I wondered what I was going to say to this perculiar group of people. Even though I was billed to speak on, "How to Become an Entrepreneur", I was more concerned about how to reach out to their spirit man.
Am talking about hardened criminals, murderers, rapist, fraudsters etc all in one place!!

When our car drove up to the prison gate, we were accosted by the well armed guards who told us to disembark from the car and unpack everything we had in the booth. We were later shown to the prison lobby where we were thoroughly searched, our phones were taken from us for safe keeping and our training equipment were properly registered. All the while I was still very uncomfortable and looking around me...I was a bit scared make I talk true.

The the moment arrived. We were ushered into the prison yard. I was amazed to see familiar human activities engaged by the inmates. Some were playing lawn tennis, others were just relaxing under the trees gisting. Some even came and helped us carry our equipment into the hall.
This made me relax a bit. I was expecting to see stone faces and angry people surrounded by armed guards.

But instead, I met a friendly atmosphere. My team and I entered the hall and met some inmates already sitted waiting for us to start. Again I was baffled. I was expecting a rowdy, antagonistic atmosphere. But these ones where ready to lean!

Before long, the entire auditorium was filled with inmates. Young, bright, educated and few middle ages audience. Again this surprised me. The media has always projected our prisons to only have people with diseases and mal-nourished people.

The psychologist opened the floor and had us introduce ourselves one after the other. I was soon introduced as the first speaker of the day.
Since we were already running behind schedule, the generator was yet to be started due to no fuel. We gave them money to go buy fuel. So I was forced to start without my PowerPoint Slide.

That was a blessing in disguise.
I love speaking from the depth of my soul without paper inhibitions or PowerPoint slide. It makes me connect faster with my audience.
I started...stuttered a bit..but son started to flow. Before long, I was floated in my usual self around the entire hall, touching, connecting with the audience. The entire hall was electrified. Even though I was speaking on entrepreneurship, you could sense that God was in there!!
Even when the light finally came on, I didn't see any need to put on the slid show anymore....I simply fell in love with these amazing people. They chanted along with me in unison. They laughed at my jokes and stories.

When my time was up, they didn't want me to stop. But I had to hand over to the next speaker.
After the entire sessions, I mingled with them; found out more about them, answered their questions. They even asked me to come and check out their computer centre so they can apply some of the things I told them about technology.

It was a paradigm shifting experience for me. I saw hope in their eyes. Much more, I appreciated freedom more!

I look forward to being with them next week Friday and for the rest of the remaining 10 weeks the training would run through.
A big thanks to CCHD Nigeria for this amazing platform. This experience has changed my perspective about ministry.

Sometimes, we do "ministry" to people whom we stand a chance to gain from. But this is different! This is a thankless job. Infact this kind of ministry cost us a lot! But this is the Jesus Kind of ministry.

Crime does not pay. Live a responsible life. You don't want to end up there!!

Remain relevant!
Pastor Emmanuel Udeagha is the Lead Pastor of SuccessHouse Christian Centre, Lagos

Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by SuperSuave(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:
APC has paid this op... Nonsense

You get sense at all? did you read the post at all? everything isn't meant to be politicized undecided

Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by SexyNairalander: 6:23pm On May 12, 2017
booked
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by LordIsaac(m): 6:24pm On May 12, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by talk2alabama: 6:24pm On May 12, 2017
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by talk2alabama: 6:29pm On May 12, 2017
SuperSuave:

You get sense at all? did you read the post at all? undecided
grin
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by Kondomatic(m): 6:35pm On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:

Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by talk2alabama: 6:44pm On May 12, 2017
[quote author=Kondomatic post=56461990][/quote]is dat your father??
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by Justuceleague2: 7:00pm On May 12, 2017
All these talkatives making money from talking

Una do well o grin
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by isbish(m): 7:11pm On May 12, 2017
hmm
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by fratermathy(m): 7:14pm On May 12, 2017
Your image of the prison may simply be what you wanted to see or what the warders wanted you to see. Did you go to the cells to see their living conditions? Have you seen the type of food they eat? How do they sleep at night?

There are many unanswered questions from your writeup.

All-in-all, it is good that you are trying to reach out to those behind bars. At least, they'll have hope in the world.

Crime doesn't pay and prisons are not meant to be hotels.
Re: My Experience Inside Kirikiri Maximum Prison by ezugegere(m): 10:37pm On May 12, 2017
I'm surprised they allowed you to take pictures there. The warders don't usually allow people to take pictures.

(1) (Reply)

Lady Allegedly Absconds After Using N5m ‘ajo Money’ For Wedding / Breaking: Police officials Stop And Searches Lady, Empty Her Bags(video) / After Robbing A House, They Gave The Husband Gun To Shoot The Wife; Guess What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.