Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,229 members, 7,829,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Violence Is Two Ways... - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Violence Is Two Ways... (350 Views)

Sexual Violence Is Becoming A Serious Pandemic In Nigeria / Report Domestic And Sexual Violence To Lagos DSVRT / Mercy Makinde: Domestic Violence Victim Shares Her Story & Photos After 10 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Violence Is Two Ways... by oyindare(m): 9:29am On May 13, 2017
There was an evening some years back when I was still in school, my friends and I were taking a stroll. We passed in front of a gate at a time when the owner of the house was about driving out of his house. We took our time to walk majestically showing no signs of hurry and the man was obviously frustrated by three guys walking slowly when he was in an obvious haste. I muttered some words to my friends quietly saying "This man had better not hit us with his car otherwise there would be trouble".

Little did I know he heard my words, he stepped out of his car, and standing before us was a over 7 feet tall man with a huge physique and approached me saying I should repeat what I said earlier. I humbly placed my two palms together and begged for mercy. My friends mocked me that day and said I shouldn't have apologised. If I didnt, maybe I would have had to use several painkillers that night or gone to bed with a swollen eye but pleading for mercy saved me from beating that day especially when I knew I was no match for the huge guy.

Violence can be avoided, either physical or emotional violence. Physical violence is usually the worst of them all and that is the one that generates the loudest media attention. Men are usually the culprits and women the victims. Emotional violence is underreported and does not count especially when it is followed up by physical violence. Excuses are usually given for women who engage in emotional violence saying it is their nature to insult, or they are women or it is normal.

There Is nothing normal for Any form of violence. If you make excuses for emotional or verbal violence, you should be ready to make same for physical violence. Any human that cannot control his/her tongue has no moral obligation to ask his/her partner to control his/her hands. I realize that some forms of physical violence are not triggered by verbal insults or emotional violence. And that is why in all entirety physical violence in all forms has to be condemned.

The call for domestic violence has taken center stage in the past few days. And as usual so many people have played victims especially women. I will NEVER in any way support a man hitting a woman infact I always advise them to walk away and stay away till the anger is off. Sleep out, keep malice if you cannot control your anger BUT never raise your hands. However, we must start to preach against both physical and verbal/emotional violence.

There are many ways you can respond to insults. That said we must honestly realize that tolerance levels are different. Do not instigate violence if you are not ready to bear the consequences. There is freedom of speech however one must use that freedom wisely.

Morale of the epistle: Violence is two ways and can be prevented. Wisdom is profitable.

Re: Violence Is Two Ways... by Bondesniger(m): 9:38am On May 13, 2017
i agree

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sister Duped Of N25,000 And Phone By Brother Who Claims To Cure Marine Spirit / Never pay to get a Job / #westandwithmanchester

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.