Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (70100 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:00am On May 26, 2017
RedboneSmith:

From CMS's 1913 dictionary....
good job bros at least the source u quoted is not from a millineum blog site called db chambers.
please the word oyinbo can we get that too from the dictionary in order to put an end to this debate thanks
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:03am On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

That settles it then, at least for now. I expected the speakers of the language themselves to pull out this evidence because you don't take people's word at face value, especially in the field of research.

Igbo and Yoruba are similar in many ways. The phenomenon of adding 'o' to a verb to form a noun is present in Igbo language also. Many examples to give, dee (write) and odee (writer), gbu (kill) and Ogbu (killer), Chu (pursue) and Ochu ('pursuer', commonly given to a guy who goes after girls) etc. 'O' is also applied to verbs to obtain nouns in cases of non-human references, such as Odidi (patience, also called Ndidi) and 'die' (bear), Omume (behavior/event/occurrence) vs mee (do, behave, act), Ogwugwu (finish - noun) and 'gwu' (finish - verb), Odide (writing/ the act of writing) vs 'dee' (write), Olili (eating) vs 'lie' (eat) etc. Coincidentally, 'bee' means cut in Igbo and Obee in Igbo would literally mean 'a cutter'. The more we compare both languages the more we see more similarities between both.
can we see the precolonial Igbo dictionary that includes oga and oyinbo as words thanks

I want detailed sources just like the other guy uses three different sources to buttress his point
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 9:07am On May 26, 2017
What Igbos use is oyibo, not oyinbo

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:10am On May 26, 2017
Probz:
What Igbos use is oyibo, not oyinbo
whether oyibo or bekee,
can see Igbo precolonial dictionary that includes it as a words
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 9:20am On May 26, 2017
OkoNDOoBo:
good job bros at least the source u quoted is not from a millineum blog site called db chambers.
please the word oyinbo can we get that too from the dictionary in order to put an end to this debate thanks

Oyibo (Oibo) is in all three dictionaries that I posted the links to.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:25am On May 26, 2017
RedboneSmith:

OK thanks bro I appreciate.

I think the debates of this thread have been settled .
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:32am On May 26, 2017
RedboneSmith:

bro please can u pls post the screen shots of the word oyibo/oibo I tried but I didn't get it
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 9:40am On May 26, 2017
OkoNDOoBo:
bro please can u pls post the screen shots of the word oyibo/oibo I tried but I didn't get it

If it's for big francis' benefit, you probably shouldn't bother. Once he finds an opinion he likes he sticks to it no matter what.

Did you notice in his reply to my explanation of 'oga' he says "I guess that settles it for now."

'For now'? He's not yet convinced. He'll just let the matter slide for now, then come back tomorrow and continue arguing.

Just leave him alone.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 11:44am On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

That settles it then, at least for now. I expected the speakers of the language themselves to pull out this evidence because you don't take people's word at face value, especially in the field of research.

Igbo and Yoruba are similar in many ways. The phenomenon of adding 'o' to a verb to form a noun is present in Igbo language also. Many examples to give, dee (write) and odee (writer), gbu (kill) and Ogbu (killer), Chu (pursue) and Ochu ('pursuer', commonly given to a guy who goes after girls) etc. 'O' is also applied to verbs to obtain nouns in cases of non-human references, such as Odidi (patience, also called Ndidi) and 'die' (bear), Omume (behavior/event/occurrence) vs mee (do, behave, act), Ogwugwu (finish - noun) and 'gwu' (finish - verb), Odide (writing/ the act of writing) vs 'dee' (write), Olili (eating) vs 'lie' (eat) etc. Coincidentally, 'bee' means cut in Igbo and Obee in Igbo would literally mean 'a cutter'. The more we compare both languages the more we see more similarities between both.

You are too big to learn sir, and your agreement above shows that if you can humble yourself and enable peer review of your language with Yoruba as a balance, it will expose you to wonderous findings in your own language.

But unfortunately, your persona is a stumbling block. Your need to feed your ego is unequalled, you can only learn from prints and not from your peers, but you want everyone to learn (agree) from you. You belittle your talent.

Yoruba as a language is in a class of its own. It reveals underlying secrets to whoever is patient to learn. Its foolhardy for a stranger to the language to insist that his position about its diction binds. What an insult!

Study your language for understanding, because nobody must come close to you in your 'immaculate igbo world', but learn not to teach us our language, its our heritage and a good one worth talking about and preserving.

Being free from bigotry will bring out the best in you, but trying to feed the bigot will make the worst of your talent as a fine researcher or whatever your office may be. You can keep fuelling the embers of persecution though.

Your cultural reality thrives on victor/victim psychology and it appears in all things. It is 'the igbo consciousness' and its always unhealthy when it interferes in everything you people do in relationship with others.
Thanks so very much @ redbonesmith.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by lx3as(m): 2:37pm On May 26, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Is the 1850s precolonial enough?

1. Vocabulary of Yoruba by Crowther. 1852: https://archive.org/details/vocabularyofyoru00crow

2. Grammar and Dictionary of Yoruba by TJ Bowen. 1858: https://archive.org/details/grammardictionar00bowerich

3. And just as a bonus this one from the early next century, The Dictionary of the Yoruba Language by the CMS. 1913 : https://archive.org./stream/DictionaryOfTheYorubaLanguage/A_Dictionary_of_the_Yoruba_Language_djvu.tx

All three dictionaries contain the word 'oga' (which means a master, a distinguished person, one who is exalted, etc); and they all also contain the verb-root 'ga' (which means high, to exalt, etc) from which the word 'oga' is formed. One familiar with Yoruba (and even other West African languages for that matter) will be familiar with the tendency for nouns to be formed from certain verb-roots, usually by adding 'o', or sometimes another vowel in front of the verb-root. Thus 'oku' (corpse) is formed from the verb-root 'ku' ( die), and 'obe' (knife) is from the verb-root 'be' (cut). 'Oga' in the same fashion is quite simply from the verb-root 'ga', and is an authentic pre-Colonial, pre-English Yoruba word.

I have discovered that one is wasting his time with that guy; he sees everything from tribal angle and supremacy. He never gave chance to sound understanding and judgment.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 7:30pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

What is this detailed fact? Is this your detailed fact published academic evidence? The last time I checked none of your cohorts was able to provide concrete evidence other than personal nuances.
You are really a stubborn and dogmatic being. It is a good trait if indeed, it is based constructively on Views that's in your favour. However, you can't win this juxtapose on this particular word “oga" because truly, it has existed in Yoruba land for centuries without contact with Europeans. What if it was the other way round? Did you forget, that Yoruba had been well organised before the contact with Europeans? Didn't you read clapperton account when he came in contact with Oyo Empire around 1822 or thereabout? He was led to Katunga from the Part of Bight of Bini to come to Oyo ILE. He spent about seven weeks (7 Weeks) before he left to get imprisoned in the North where he died. To be honest with you, there are words of Europeans that are synonyms with Yoruba's. I will mention only one. Take for instance, Île (French word) meaning Island. The word Île in Yoruba is Land. Are you inferring, Yoruba borrowed it from France? Oga, don't necessarily have to come from English word “organiser"because even the British marvelled at Yoruba's knowledge of Almighty God and Yoruba's Terracotta and sculpture works in Art. How do you now think, we borrowed such word when in fact, development of language is attainable when tradition is held in high esteem. Oga, Òga, O ga, ga etc has existed for ages within Yoruba world. It is better you accept and leave with it or you keep chasing after shadow.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:59pm On May 26, 2017
OkoNDOoBo:
can we see the precolonial Igbo dictionary that includes oga and oyinbo as words thanks

I want detailed sources just like the other guy uses three different sources to buttress his point

There may be no full Igbo dictionary written pre-1900 because not much attention was given to it as far as studying it and compiling a full dictionary in the language around that time, however what we do have available are quotes or academic mentions of 'oyibo' in the Igbo-speaking area that date to as early the 1700s. Now, the Edoid peoples are wedged between Yoruba land on the west and Igbo land on the east and the possibility of a direct transfer between both major groups is slim. Olaudah born circa 1745 mentioned 'oyibo' in his book and his interpretation of the word, 'red men from a distance...' is clearly indicative of the meaning of that word. Whether he referred to light-skinned africans or europeans the usage of the word indicates that it was clearly in reference to 'red skin', the adjective 'red' being an old-time way of describing 'light-skin', such as we see its usage in the bible, Cain was born and he came out 'red' all over, or 'red' ibo as in 'light-skinned' Ibo etc.

As for oga, I never said it was an Igbo word. My stand all along was that it was of possible English origin and all I did was ask for evidence of Yoruba origin and made providing that evidence easy by asking for its mention in a pre-colonial dictionary.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 8:00pm On May 26, 2017
Olu317:
You are really a stubborn and dogmatic being. It is a good trait if indeed, it is based constructively on Views that's in your favour. However, you can't win this juxtapose on this particular word “oga" because truly, it has existed in Yoruba land for centuries without contact with Europeans. What if it was the other way round? Did you forget, that Yoruba had been well organised before the contact with Europeans? Didn't you read clapperton account when he came in contact with Oyo Empire around 1822 or thereabout? He was led to Katunga from the Part of Bight of Bini to come to Oyo ILE. He spent about seven weeks (7 Weeks) before he left to get imprisoned in the North where he died. To be honest with you, there are words of Europeans that are synonyms with Yoruba's. I will mention only one. Take for instance, Île (French word) meaning Island. The word Île in Yoruba is Land. Are you inferring, Yoruba borrowed it from France? Oga, don't necessarily have to come from English word “organiser"because even the British marvelled at Yoruba's knowledge of Almighty God and Yoruba's Terracotta and sculpture works in Art. How do you now think, we borrowed such word when in fact, development of language is attainable when tradition is held in high esteem. Oga, Òga, O ga, ga etc has existed for ages within Yoruba world. It is better you accept and leave with it or you keep chasing after shadow.

You are too thick-headed anyway to reason properly. So just keep quiet.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 8:09pm On May 26, 2017
lx3as:

I have discovered that one is wasting his time with that guy; he sees everything from tribal angle and supremacy. He never gave chance to sound understanding and judgment.

@Bold...supremacy in which of my posts in this thread? Did I claim Igbos were supreme in any of my posts on here? Have I claimed anything here without academic proof or evidence? Of course I did give chance for understanding by asking for published proof which a non-speaker had to provide. Nearly 50 years after the civil war yet Nigerians have not gotten over this idea of an Igbo supremacy. It is almost as if it is a taboo for Igbos to take pride in their achievement because it will be seen as 'supremacy' tendencies or 'beating chest' while other tribes can do so all day and year round and it is not 'supremacist' tendencies. In the same vein, Igbos cannot highlight cultural imprints or evidence beyond Igbo land without being called 'land grabbers' yet other tribes can do the same. Oh well, I guess it is similar to the case white people. White people nowadays can no longer publicly take pride in their achievements without being seen as supremacist yet they did contribute a lot to the world, both positively and negatively. There is black pride parade, women pride parade, lgbt pride, latino pride but the thought or idea of a white pride would spell racism. I guess that's just how it is.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 8:16pm On May 26, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You are too big to learn sir, and your agreement above shows that if you can humble yourself and enable peer review of your language with Yoruba as a balance, it will expose you to wonderous findings in your own language.

But unfortunately, your persona is a stumbling block. Your need to feed your ego is unequalled, you can only learn from prints and not from your peers, but you want everyone to learn (agree) from you. You belittle your talent.

Yoruba as a language is in a class of its own. It reveals underlying secrets to whoever is patient to learn. Its foolhardy for a stranger to the language to insist that his position about its diction binds. What an insult!

Study your language for understanding, because nobody must come close to you in your 'immaculate igbo world', but learn not to teach us our language, its our heritage and a good one worth talking about and preserving.

Being free from bigotry will bring out the best in you, but trying to feed the bigot will make the worst of your talent as a fine researcher or whatever your office may be. You can keep fuelling the embers of persecution though.

Your cultural reality thrives on victor/victim psychology and it appears in all things. It is 'the igbo consciousness' and its always unhealthy when it interferes in everything you people do in relationship with others.
Thanks so very much @ redbonesmith.

More than half of what you have written up here apply to you in all respects. Honestly, you should really stand and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. You are not as saintly as you portray yourself to be. Call me whatever, honestly those things don't mean anything to me. I consider myself a die-hard lover of anything Igbo, just as you do the same for your land of birth, and that is just me.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 8:24pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You are too thick-headed anyway to reason properly. So just keep quiet.
You See, you have just lost it again. How can you specifically use the word “keep quiet? " ILE IS ILE— France's Island and Yoruba's land. Did Yoruba borrow it? For the first time, I can see, you have lost your cool because it is glaring. I don't want to take you up on this because my people have done justice to the defense of the word. Well, I can't keep quiet because this is a faceless forum. Enjoy the bitter truth . No hard feeling.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 8:29pm On May 26, 2017
Olu317:
You See, you have just lost it again. How can you specifically use the word “keep quiet? " ILE IS ILE— France's Island and Yoruba's land. Did Yoruba borrow it? For the first time, I can see, you have lost your cool because it is glaring. I don't want to take you up on this because my people have done justice to the defense of the word. Well, I can't keep quiet because this is a faceless forum. Enjoy the bitter truth . No hard feeling.

I can go on and list many words that are similar between different languages and I am very aware of that but that's not the point here because I never said all similar words have to come from the other language. I even cleared someone else that used the example of 'mi' in French/Yoruba that no linguist would obviously claim one language is the original owner. It was simply the origin of oga that was the bone of contention. That's why I said, you are thick-headed to reason properly, using omambala's words to describe you.

Lose my cool? Lolll. I never do. I don't have to put up smileys everywhere to show I am laughing because I really was laughing when I typed out that my response to you. grin

Peace out.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 8:57pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I can go on and list many words that are similar between different languages and I am very aware of that but that's not the point here because I never said all similar words have to come from the other language. I even cleared someone else that used the example of 'mi' in French/Yoruba that no linguist would obviously claim one language is the original owner. It was simply the origin of oga that was the bone of contention. That's why I said, you are thick-headed to reason properly, using omambala's words to describe you.

Lose my cool? Lolll. I never do. I don't have to put up smileys everywhere to show I am laughing because I really was laughing when I typed out that my response to you. grin

Peace out.
The word “thick headed " is inconsequential to me because I always relay the point . Do you know how many words you have claimed to have been originate from the Ibo land? I am sure you must have lost count yourself. In reference, to the reason I drew out that word which you claimed, isn't the bone of contention. So true, but it can said that ,attention was drawn to it to expose your flaws. It is as simple as ABC. I hope one day, you won't claim Yoruba borrow Eji+(MA) from Ibos and turned it Eji+(RÉ). Considering, the fact that history had shown that Yoruba had more twins that Ibos. Let me posit here that you need to go do DNA test to affirm if you are connected to Yoruba because of die hard interest in the history. Blood is thicker than water. Who knows ,you might be one of us.

Smiling
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 9:07pm On May 26, 2017
Olu317:
The word “thick headed " is inconsequential to me because I always relay the point . Do you know how many words you have claimed to have been originate from the Ibo land? I am sure you must have lost count yourself. In reference, to the reason I drew out that word which you claimed, isn't the bone of contention. So true, but it can said that ,attention was drawn to it to expose your flaws. It is as simple as ABC. I hope one day, you won't claim Yoruba borrow Eji+(MA) from Ibos and turned it Eji+(RÉ). Considering, the fact that history had shown that Yoruba had more twins that Ibos. Let me posit here that you need to go do DNA test to affirm if you are connected to Yoruba because of die hard interest in the history. Blood is thicker than water. Who knows ,you might be one of us.

Smiling

Always relay your point? grin Maybe once in blue moon. Thick-headed is the right word for you. Signed and sealed in stamp.

Oh there he goes again. Please list out those words I've claimed as Igbo. Una, dey, tey and so on and I'll provide you evidence for those.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OkoNDOoBo: 9:38pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

There may be no full Igbo dictionary written pre-1900 because not much attention was given to it as far as studying it and compiling a full dictionary in the language around that time, however what we do have available are quotes or academic mentions of 'oyibo' in the Igbo-speaking area that date to as early the 1700s. Now, the Edoid peoples are wedged between Yoruba land on the west and Igbo land on the east and the possibility of a direct transfer between both major groups is slim. Olaudah born circa 1745 mentioned 'oyibo' in his book and his interpretation of the word, 'red men from a distance...' is clearly indicative of the meaning of that word. Whether he referred to light-skinned africans or europeans the usage of the word indicates that it was clearly in reference to 'red skin', the adjective 'red' being an old-time way of describing 'light-skin', such as we see its usage in the bible, Cain was born and he came out 'red' all over, or 'red' ibo as in 'light-skinned' Ibo etc.

As for oga, I never said it was an Igbo word. My stand all along was that it was of possible English origin and all I did was ask for evidence of Yoruba origin and made providing that evidence easy by asking for its mention in a pre-colonial dictionary.

sorry save me these long epistles, a well detailed facts will do justice to the topic of this thread, obviously you don't have any factual evidences to back it up that the word oyibo is coined from Igbo language .
don't bore me with long narratives when three different sources of precolonial Igbo dictionaries can save us the stress like redbonesmith did
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 10:40pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Always relay your point? grin Maybe once in blue moon. Thick-headed is the right word for you. Signed and sealed in stamp.

Oh there he goes again. Please list out those words I've claimed as Igbo. Una, dey, tey and so on and I'll provide you evidence for those.
And what is the right word for someone who is fond of inferring Ibo and Yoruba connection without any proof? I am waiting for your prince from ILE IFE that left. You are a degraded clown with verifiable certificate. How on earth do Come up with your pseudo coinage? I must give to you, if it has to do with conjuring damning opinion. List three words from one European country that has same spellings and meaning with Yoruba,because you suddenly jumped into conclusion of being able to list words and similarities with different countries. Did anyone refer to any other country except Yoruba ethnicity in Nigeria? Who is the real thick headed in reality if not you? Show me where I delve into Ibos history, even if I have knowledge of it. But, at every point in time,you behave like the one who knows more than the people from Yoruba ethnicity. I mock you seriously because ,I expect you to do more research on your tribe's history and how you Ibos became landlord locked, despite your pyramid era and access to Bight of Biafra. You are full of erroneous opinion.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 10:58pm On May 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

More than half of what you have written up here apply to you in all respects. Honestly, you should really stand and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. You are not as saintly as you portray yourself to be. Call me whatever, honestly those things don't mean anything to me. I consider myself a die-hard lover of anything Igbo, just as you do the same for your land of birth, and that is just me.

Through The Looking Glass

By Lewis Carroll (1832–98),

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

I agree with you and definitely appreciate your scholarship, but it becomes something else if we can't goad ourselves by ourselves. No one can do what you're doing for the igbo race and that's good. Where our character differs is that for the igbo race, you don't care whose ox is gored.

But you need to know that as a schjolar, its your duty to protect the truth first, then the race you represent and then your ethnicity, if its issue is part of the bone of contention. I have no problem wherever oyinbo/oyibo comes from, really, but trying to fleece Yoruba word in favour of europe is bad.

I just want to say make you dey take am easy o, ah. Oversabi naim dey spoil good yarn, at all at all naim bad. This life na jeje.

Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 10:58pm On May 26, 2017
Olu317:
And what is the right word for someone who is fond of inferring Ibo and Yoruba connection without any proof? I am waiting for your prince from ILE IFE that left. You are a degraded clown with verifiable certificate. How on earth do Come up with your pseudo coinage? I must give to you, if it has to do with conjuring damning opinion. List three words from one European country that has same spellings and meaning with Yoruba,because you suddenly jumped into conclusion of being able to list words and similarities with different countries. Did anyone refer to any other country except Yoruba ethnicity in Nigeria? Who is the real thick headed in reality if not you? Show me where I delve into Ibos history, even if I have knowledge of it. But, at every point in time,you behave like the one who knows more than the people from Yoruba ethnicity. I mock you seriously because ,I expect you to do more research on your tribe's history and how you Ibos became landlord locked, despite your pyramid era and access to Bight of Biafra. You are full of erroneous opinion.

List of Jamaican Patois words of African origin

Igbo language
akara
from àkàrà, type of food, also from Ewe and Yoruba[22]
attoo
from átú, "chewing stick"[23]
big-eye
via Gullah "big eye" from Igbo "anya ukwu", "greedy"[24][25][26]
breechee
from mbùríchì, an Nri-Igbo nobleman[27]
door-mouth
claque from ọ́nụ́ ụ́zọ̀ (mouth + door), 'doorway'[28]
chink, chinch
from chị́nchị̀, 'bedbug'[29]
country ibo
from Ị̀gbò, Pluchea odorata or Ptisana purpurascens[30]
de, deh
from dị, [with adverbial] "is" (to be)[31][32]
hard-head
from ísí íké, (head + hard, strength), 'obstinate[33]
himba
from mba, "yam root", a type of yam, Rajania cordata[34][35]
obeah
from ọbiạ, "doctoring", "mysticism"[36]
okra
from ọkwurụ, a vegetable[6][37]
poto-poto
from "opoto-opoto", mkpọtọ-mkpọtọ, "mud", "muddy", also from Akan[6]
red Ibo, Eboe
from Ị̀gbò, a person with a light skin colour or a mulatto of mixed parentage[38]
se
from sị, "quote follows", also from Akan se and English say[17]
soso
from sọsọ "only"[6][39]
unu
from únù, "you (plural)"[40]

Nigeria: African Words in the American English Gullah Dialect (II)
By Farooq Kperogi
Last week, I highlighted many African-derived words in the Gullah dialect that Dr. Lorenzo Turner identified in his book. Several of my Nigerian readers were intrigued by the retention of Fulfulde numerals (from one to 19) in Gullah, which Turner recorded near the town of Darien, in the state of Georgia, in the 1930s.

Another surprise for me is the Gullah people's retention of some uniquely African exclamatory expressions. For instance, Turner recorded the interjectory expression "kai!" among the Gullah. Like in many West African, particularly Nigerian, languages, "kai!"is used in Gullah to express great surprise. The exclamation "bismilai!" to express shock or great surprise also survives in Gullah-at least up to the time Turner observed and recorded the language in Georgia and South Carolina. It was most certainly bequeathed to them by their Senegambian Muslim ancestors. As any Muslim knows, Bismillah is the first phrase of the Qur'an, which means "in the name of Allah." But it's also often used as an exclamatory expression.

Contemporary (northern) Nigerian Muslims tend to prefer "A'uzubillahi!" which is the shortened form a'uzubillah min ash shaitanrajim (I seek protection from Allah against Satan), often said before bismillah. Or they may say "subhallah!" (Glory be to Allah).

It is also worth noting that the ubiquitous "una" (plural form of you) in African-inflected English pidgins and creoles is also present in Gullah. It is derived from the Igbo "unu," which is also the plural form of "you" in the language, the singular being "ya" or "gi." While "una"is the preferred form of the pronoun in Gullah, other variants exist, such as"huna,"wuna," and"unu" (preserved from the original form in Igbo). In Gullah, "mi nauna" means "me and you," where "na" means "and," as it does in Igbo.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201602291848.html

How the “Red Igbos” Came to JamaicaPosted by Guest Author on October 19, 2015 How the “Red Igbos” Came to Jamaica2016-10-17T07:08:58+00:00 under News/Sports

(Happy National Heroes’ Day)

Originating primarily from the Bight of Biafra in West Africa, Igbo people were taken in relatively high numbers to Jamaica as slaves, arriving after 1750. Besides Virginia, Jamaica was the second most common disembarkation point for slave ships arriving from Biafra.

They were spread on plantations around Montego Bay and Savanna-la-Mar. Igbo slaves resorted to resistance rather than revolt. Many of them committed suicide because they believed after death, they would return to their homeland.

Igbo slaves were also distinguished physically by their “yellow” skin tones. Today, in Jamaica, “red eboe” is used to describe people with light skin tones and African features. Igbo women were paired with Coromantee (Akan) men to subdue the men because of the belief that the women were bound to their first-born sons’ birthplace.

Jonkonnu, a parade held in Jamaica, is attributed to the Njoku Ji “yam-spirit cult”, Okonko and Ekpe of the Igbo. The Igbo also influenced language with actions such as “sucking-teeth” coming from the Igbo “ima osu” and “cutting-eye” from Igbo “iro anya”.

Words were added to Jamaican Patois when slaves were restricted from speaking their own languages. These Igbo words still exist in Jamaican vernacular, including words such as “unu” meaning “you (plural)”,”di” to be (in state of)”, which became “dey”.
http://jablogz.com/2015/10/how-the-red-igbos-came-to-jamaica/

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30028425?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 6:44am On May 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

List of Jamaican Patois words of African origin

Igbo language
akara
from àkàrà, type of food, also from Ewe and Yoruba[22]
attoo
from átú, "chewing stick"[23]
big-eye
via Gullah "big eye" from Igbo "anya ukwu", "greedy"[24][25][26]
breechee
from mbùríchì, an Nri-Igbo nobleman[27]
door-mouth
claque from ọ́nụ́ ụ́zọ̀ (mouth + door), 'doorway'[28]
chink, chinch
from chị́nchị̀, 'bedbug'[29]
country ibo
from Ị̀gbò, Pluchea odorata or Ptisana purpurascens[30]
de, deh
from dị, [with adverbial] "is" (to be)[31][32]
hard-head
from ísí íké, (head + hard, strength), 'obstinate[33]
himba
from mba, "yam root", a type of yam, Rajania cordata[34][35]
obeah
from ọbiạ, "doctoring", "mysticism"[36]
okra
from ọkwurụ, a vegetable[6][37]
poto-poto
from "opoto-opoto", mkpọtọ-mkpọtọ, "mud", "muddy", also from Akan[6]
red Ibo, Eboe
from Ị̀gbò, a person with a light skin colour or a mulatto of mixed parentage[38]
se
from sị, "quote follows", also from Akan se and English say[17]
soso
from sọsọ "only"[6][39]
unu
from únù, "you (plural)"[40]

http://allafrica.com/stories/201602291848.html

http://jablogz.com/2015/10/how-the-red-igbos-came-to-jamaica/

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30028425?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Again ,you have derailed bro. Mention words of Europeans origin that are closely related in letters and having the same or close meaning to Yoruba's . I insist on this, because of your “ sumptuous knowledge on Yoruba history ". And don't try so much bring forth words found among descendants of African slaves. There is no certainty, the words used by the slaves came from one source. So, do just to it and show your scholarly attribute. I am waiting to read precisely for EUROPEAN words that are similar in letters and close in meaning like what you saw on my previous post.

Piece of advice; don't delve into what you have little or no deep knowledge on.
You are the type of people that belongs to the category that Yoruba always use an adage as thus; Eni ti O fé mo osho ju Iya Osho lo.

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 6:06pm On May 28, 2017
Olu317:
Again ,you have derailed bro. Mention words of Europeans origin that are closely related in letters and having the same or close meaning to Yoruba's . I insist on this, because of your “ sumptuous knowledge on Yoruba history ". And don't try so much bring forth words found among descendants of African slaves. There is no certainty, the words used by the slaves came from one source. So, do just to it and show your scholarly attribute. I am waiting to read precisely for EUROPEAN words that are similar in letters and close in meaning like what you saw on my previous post.

Piece of advice; don't delve into what you have little or no deep knowledge on.
You are the type of people that belongs to the category that Yoruba always use an adage as thus; Eni ti O fé mo osho ju Iya Osho lo.

Lewis Carroll (1832–98) Through the looking glass.

QUOTATION:

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 6:20pm On May 28, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Lewis Carroll (1832–98) Through the looking glass.

QUOTATION:

Of course, you are correct. Words can be coined to elucidate one's view which can invariably become an acceptable norm in the society. Professor Wole Soyinka did that and it didn't begun with him because Yoruba ethnicity has become a case study for me in totality. Yoruba language used one word to make reference to different things through the developing period of the language. The method used were basically through accents; acute and circumflex which are more prevalent in our language. Take for instance; oko(which literally mean one) ,oko(hoe),oko(to identify a particular form transportation) Oko (farm), Oko (husband) . Ogbo(ripe),Ogbo(unripe),Ogbo(aged),Ogbo (wash hardly with palm), Ogbo(in a brawl of cloth being held tightly especially by a lady or woman),Ogbo (dog's bark). There are more and more. This is the reason I really like to inform those revisionists about the uniqueness of Yoruba language.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 7:38pm On May 28, 2017
Olu317:
Of course, you are correct. Words can be coined to elucidate one's view which can invariably become an acceptable norm in the society. Professor Wole Soyinka did that and it didn't begun with him because Yoruba ethnicity has become a case study for me in totality. Yoruba language used one word to make reference to different things through the developing period of the language. The method used were basically through accents; acute and circumflex which are more prevalent in our language. Take for instance; oko(which literally mean one) ,oko(hoe),oko(to identify a particular form transportation) Oko (farm), Oko (husband) . Ogbo(ripe),Ogbo(unripe),Ogbo(aged),Ogbo (wash hardly with palm), Ogbo(in a brawl of cloth being held tightly especially by a lady or woman),Ogbo (dog's bark). There are more and more. This is the reason I really like to inform those revisionists about the uniqueness of Yoruba language.

Hmm you didn't get the drift,

You are tussling with an 'humpty dumpty'.

Someone who chooses meaning for words.

happy weekend good sire.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 10:28pm On May 28, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Hmm you didn't get the drift,

You are tussling with an 'humpty dumpty'.

Someone who chooses meaning for words.

happy weekend good sire.
Oh yes! My mistake . I didn't digest the riddle at first but understood the ideal coinage of the “humpty dumpty" story. Quite interesting.

Have a great time out there bro.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 8:10am On May 29, 2017
Olu317:
Oh yes! My mistake . I didn't digest the riddle at first but understood the ideal coinage of the “humpty dumpty" story. Quite interesting.

Have a great time out there bro.

I read your posts on the 'Lagos at 50 gala night' thread.

You sound quite different and with deep wit.

You are more of a politician than an historian, methinks.

God bless your week.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 8:37am On May 29, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I read your posts on the 'Lagos at 50 gala night' thread.

You sound quite different and with deep wit.

You are more of a politician than an historian, methinks.

God bless your week.
Really? I seemingly think I am opposite of it but a believer in YORUBA nation. Although I know I am a metaphorical personified being. I am many things entangled in ONE.

Just like this saying; All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances[...]
— William Shakespeare

My dear brother, “ Yoruba History" as part of my life, is the making of almighty (Eleda) God. It is a task I must complete because of Yoruba True identity. It is just a divine instruction bestowed upon my footpath.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 9:05am On May 29, 2017
Olu317:
Really? I seemingly think I am opposite of it but a believer in YORUBA nation. Although I know I am a metaphorical personified being. I am many things entangled in ONE.

Just like this saying; All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances[...]
— William Shakespeare

My dear brother, “ Yoruba History" as part of my life, is the making of almighty (Eleda) God. It is a task I must complete because of Yoruba True identity. It is just a divine instruction bestowed upon my footpath.

Awesome.

I used to think I'm the only dreamer on this board.

Look son, another Joseph.

cheesy
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 11:58am On May 29, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Awesome.

I used to think I'm the only dreamer on this board.

Look son, another Joseph.

cheesy
Well, another Joseph? Of course not because he dreamt about his own personal lordship over the house of Israel. I am here to perfect the unknown to the Yorubas identity. The Western World's churches know this as well as their historians. They just kept mute about the Yorubas history because of the specks in our eyes. The Bronze heads in the London museum speaks a lot about Yoruba identity. A reawakening is my own course . Hopefully, the desire of the people can be granted by God. Until a man know his place on the planet earth, he is bounded under the spell of the earth's mystery. It is only the deep that understands the intricacies of the deep. And a deep drawn to be behold become a revelation. Then, a revelation manifest into reality (force by which it comes into existence).

Aspirations are unquenchable once there is a will on the part of the challenged.

Achievable is a desire borne of Eledumare.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.