Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. (9753 Views)

Religious Miracle, Where Is Your Efficacy When It Is Most Needed? Corona Virus / How Umriel Humiliated Esias(isaiah) In A Religious Debate / "Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse?"- Christian Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 7:55pm On May 14, 2017
Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective.

Every "Death" that I'm going to refer to in this thread was confirmed by medical/paramedical personnel, with cardiac monitors attached.

So, last week, a colleague posted a story of a surgery where in the course of the surgery, the person being operated on started deteriorating. As cardiopulmonary arrest was staring them in the face, CardioPulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) was started. During the course of the CPR, the person's heart and breathing stopped (died) evidenced by a flat line on the Heart/EKG monitor. Patient died (clinical death) on that table for all intents and purposes.
But, CPR was continued as it wore on, it was looking more and more likely that it was going to be in futility, when one of the Anesthesiologists in the room started praying, as he was praying, CPR was still ongoing, when the heart monitor suddenly started beeping. Heart beat and spontaneous breathing came back and the surgery was completed.
This colleague declared that episode a miracle, because of the prayer, but was it really a miracle?

Unfortunately, this colleague isn't conversant with the medical entity of Return of Spontaneous Circulation (ROSC) and Lazarus Syndrome.
What it means is that it has appeared in Medical literature about 40 times where the heart of a patient stopped (died) and it auto restarted again, with the longest episode taking up to a day.
But what all these cases have in common is that CPR was performed extensively on these people when after adjudged to be futile, was stopped and patients regained spontaneous CardioPulmonary function later.
Of course the role of prayer or any religious ritual at that wasn't brought in as a factor.

Of course, resuscitation is only performed on cases where it is plausible that the heart would restart. Cases where the patient died after being decapitated, disemboweled, dismembered or suffered severe trauma (being sawn completely into 2) rarely require resuscitation because the outcome is obvious, and I'm yet to see any religious person attempt to raise this particular group from the dead because they know that it's a lost cause.

So, our religious sphere is littered with stories of people raising people from the dead, now there are 2 plausible explanations.
1) The person in question didn't really die. The relatives just raised a false alarm. Because, there was no medical personnel around to actually confirm and certify the person dead.
I've witnessed cases where patient relatives raise alarm that a person is dead, but after examination, it is determined that the patient is unconscious albeit with poor vital signs.

2) The patient actually died, but after resuscitation attempts the person had ROSC/Lazarus Syndrome i.e. came back to life.

I'm yet to see any medical personnel resuscitate a patient who died from being decapitated, disemboweled, dismembered or suffered severe trauma (being sawn completely into 2).
If you have seen your Pastors/Imam/Prophet/Priest/Babalawo bring such people back to life, please let us know in the comments.

Intelligent debate and contributions also welcomed.
Source for further reading. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20228683
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121643/
http://emj.bmj.com/content/18/1/74.full
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037907380200107X
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300957298001191
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

5 Likes

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by lordbish(m): 7:59pm On May 14, 2017
Nice article
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:06pm On May 14, 2017
This man,

You continue to fall my hand.
Can u please explain the pathophysiological mechanism of your so called "Lazarus syndrome"

You are now practicing wikipedia medicine ba?
Confusing Lay folks.

Mscheww undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:12pm On May 14, 2017
felixomor:
This man,

You continue to fall my hand.
Can u please explain the pathophysiological mechanism of your so called "Lazarus syndrome"

You are now practicing wikipedia medicine ba?
Confusing Lay folks.

Mscheww undecided
Lazarus Syndrome is an accepted diagnosis classified in International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) edition 9 and 10.
Now that I've cleared your doubts, address the OP.

1 Like

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:23pm On May 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Lazarus Syndrome is an accepted diagnosis classified in International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) edition 9 and 10.

Please discuss the pathophysiology.....
I dey wait.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 11:32pm On May 14, 2017
Fuel don finish
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by hopefulLandlord: 11:41pm On May 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

lol, you get time to dey pursue rabbits around the place released by deluded people
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 12:08am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Oga sir,
Please i just revised my ICD 10,
I cant find your "accepted diagnosis" of Lazarus Syndrome.
Please can you show me?
If u dont mind. Please!

hopefulLandlord:

lol, you get time to dey pursue rabbits around the place released by deluded people

Hehehe, I can even see HopefulLandlord rejoicing over your statement..... grin
LMAO (Let me not laugh too much yet undecided. )

Please CatfishBilly show me in ICD
And also please explain the pathophysiology of Lazarus Syndrome,
I am waiting to be educated.
On a serious note
cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by hopefulLandlord: 12:10am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Oga sir, Please i just revised my ICD 10, I cant find your "accepted diagnosis" of Lazarus Syndrome. Please can you show me? If u dont mind.

Hehehe, I can even see HopefulLandlord rejoicing over your statement..... grin LMAO (Let me not laugh too much yet undecided. )
Please CatfishBilly show me in ICD And also please explain the pathophysiology of Lazarus Syndrome, I am waiting to be educated. On a serious note cheesy
Hahahahahahahahaha
Rejoice okay cheesy
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by Nobody: 5:45am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly

we also have the spiritual perspective
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 6:47am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Please discuss the pathophysiology.....
I dey wait.
The pathophysiology is poorly understood.
Same with a host of medical problems, including nodding disease and the likes.
And your point is?
Please don't drop a god of the gaps argument or any other iteration of it.
(Since it's poorly understood therefore it's god)

1 Like

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 7:19am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

The pathophysiology is poorly understood.
Same with a host of medical problems, including nodding disease and the likes.
And your point is?
Please don't drop a god of the gaps argument or any other iteration of it.
(Since it's poorly understood therefore it's god)

Ah Good "Poorly Understood"
Yet you are using it to try to debunk something. Typical
At least Thank God u even admitted its poorly understood
On a normal day, u will have started gymnastics

Secondly, Please where in your ICD 10 is "Lazarus Syndrome"?
I can't seem to find it

I am waiting to hear please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 7:27am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Ah Good "Poorly Understood"
Yet you are using it to try to debunk something. Typical
At least Thank God u even admitted its poorly understood
On a normal day, u will have started gymnastics

Secondly, Please where in your ICD 10 is "Lazarus Syndrome"?
I can't seem to find it

I am waiting to hear please.
I just want your opinion, does the fact that it is poorly understood make it any less of a medical issue and more of a spiritual one? Answer this and maybe I'll consider your other question.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 7:30am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

I just want your opinion, does the fact that it is poorly understood make it any less of a medical issue and more of a spiritual one? Answer this and maybe I'll consider your other question.

Bro, there is nothing that pertains to human body that is not a "medical issue"
Do u know anything that is?

Even when doctors can't find any cause of something, they always have a name for it.

Now please tell me where in ICD 10 is your "Lazarus Syndrome"?
I am still waiting undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 7:42am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Bro, there is nothing that pertains to human body that is not a "medical issue"
Do u know anything that is?

Even when doctors can't find any cause of something, they always have a name for it.

Now please tell me where in ICD 10 is your "Lazarus Syndrome"?
I am still waiting undecided
It is classified under IX, I99, in some revisions, its classified under triple x.
Now visit BMJ, PubMed, NEJM, RMJ for further reads because this your position is ill informed or just come out and say it's spiritual. Are you scared?
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 7:47am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

It is classified under IX, I99, in some revisions, its classified under Bleep.
Now visit BMJ, PubMed, NEJM, RMJ for further reads.
Its like I am about to Call out Somebody !!!
hehehehehe, Its like somebody has told a LIE

LMAO grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 7:58am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Its like I am about to Call out Somebody !!!
hehehehehe, Its like somebody has told a LIE

LMAO grin
Of course it is grin grin grin
I'm sure you've never heard of the journals I listed.
Next person.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:01am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Of course it is grin grin grin
Next person.

So you told a lie that Lazarus syndrome is in ICD just to promote your agenda? Chai

And hopefulLandlord being a layman was even following u to rejoice......

Well, its a typical day at the box office
Atheists hijacking science to promote atheism.

Sad undecided
I need to open a thread on this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:09am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

So you told a lie that Lazarus syndrome is in ICD just to promote your agenda? Chai

And hopefulLandlord being a layman was even following u to rejoice......

Well, its a typical day at the box office
Atheists hijacking science to promote atheism.

Sad undecided
I need to open a thread on this.
Oga, you still haven't dropped evidence of the lie.
You asked for Icd 10, I went further and dropped New England Journal of Medicine, British Medical Journal, Royal Medical Journal and PubMed. You still haven't dropped this your lying evidence.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:09am On May 15, 2017
onyenze123:
CatfishBilly

we also have the spiritual perspective
Oga, I respectfully disagree. There is no spiritual angle.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:12am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Oga, you still haven't dropped evidence of the lie.
You asked for Icd 10, I went further and dropped New England Journal of Medicine, British Medical Journal, Royal Medical Journal and PubMed. You still haven't dropped this your lying evidence.

Wait o
These things u just listed
Are they ICD 10 & 9? That u claimed?

Wait, o
Please am i talking to a doctor? lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:13am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Wait o
These things u just listed
Are they ICD 10 & 9? That u claimed?

Wait, o
Please am i talking to a doctor? lipsrsealed
Oga, evidence of the lie naa. You talk too much.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:17am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Oga, evidence of the lie naa. You talk too much.

Guy, stop this silly behavior
I have a the pdf of the most recent ICD here
There is nothing like "Lazarus syndrome"
Its on Google
Here is a link
http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/ICD10Volume2_en_2010.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiDyoW1rfHTAhXCbBoKHXkOCk4QFggtMAE&usg=AFQjCNFV_goNOWkNtO23OOx-XpKbtPKSbg

I warned u but u wont listen
Your Lie has finally caught up with u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:19am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

Guy, stop this silly behavior
I have a the pdf of the most recent ICD here
There is nothing like "Lazarus syndrome"
Its on Google
Here is a link
http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/ICD10Volume2_en_2010.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiDyoW1rfHTAhXCbBoKHXkOCk4QFggtMAE&usg=AFQjCNFV_goNOWkNtO23OOx-XpKbtPKSbg

I warned u but u wont listen
Your Lie has finally caught up with u.
Your mates have moved on to 2016 version you're still stuck in 2010? Smh.
Hint. It's on WHO website
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:21am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Your mated have moved on to 2016 version you're still stuck in 2010? Smh.

LMAO grin
Please show some shame.
If you want to defend a lie, try not to mix it with ignorance.
Please, i beg u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:36am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

LMAO grin
Please show some shame.
If you want to defend a lie, try not to mix it with ignorance.
Please, i beg u
It's obvious you're grasping at straws here.
Here is the link for Icd 10 2016 edition. http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2016/en
Here are other articles on the phenomenon
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20228683
If you you don't know, ask questions.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:46am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

It's obvious you're grasping at straws here.
Here is the link for Icd 10 2016 edition. http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2016/en
Here are other articles on the phenomenon
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20228683
If you you don't know, ask questions.

I can see u want to continue the gymnastics grin
U clearly dont know why i said u r ignorant
U thought doing a red herring of "2016 icd" will save u ba?
Even your link does not have "Lazarus syndrome"
Its a double cop out.

YOU LIED cheesy

KingEbukasblog please come and see.
Atheists telling lies with science to promote atheism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:51am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

I can see u want to continue the gymnastics grin
U clearly dont know why i said u r ignorant
U thought doing a red herring of "2016 icd" will save u ba?
Even your link does not have "Lazarus syndrome"
Its a double cop out.

YOU LIED cheesy
It is a place holder for all the unknown/poorly known and undescribable cardiovascular pathology, as you can see, that heading is empty. Didn't they teach you guys how to read and understand​ ICD10 in school? Didn't you take a course in epidemiology and biostatistics?
Like I said, if you don't know, ask questions.
Next person.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 8:55am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

It is a place holder for all the unknown/poorly known and undescribable cardiovascular pathology, as you can see, that heading is empty. Didn't they teach you guys how to read and understand​ ICD10 in school? Didn't you take a course in epidemiology and biostatistics?
Like I said, if you don't know, ask questions.
Next person.

You Lied Bro
Its not in ICD grin

This one is Black and White

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 8:58am On May 15, 2017
felixomor:

You Lied Bro
Its not in ICD grin

This one is Black and White
It's now obvious that you don't have a clue about how classifications in ICD10 work. It's not my job to educate you. Go back to school and go and learn it. I'll suggest a master's degree in Public Health or epidemiology.
Arguing with someone that's ignorant on the topic, so damn frustrating.
Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by felixomor: 9:00am On May 15, 2017
CatfishBilly:

It's now obvious that you don't have a clue about how classifications in ICD10 work. It's not my job to educate you. Go back to school and go and learn it. I'll suggest a master's degree in Public Health or epidemiology.
Arguing with someone that's ignorant on the topic, so damn frustrating.

Keep quiet.
Make shame catch u

ICD 9 and 10 my foot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. by CatfishBilly: 9:03am On May 15, 2017
Any other contributions? Joagbaje, DoctorAlien, Zionmade, Bennyann

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? / Secret Exposed! Why Do Christ Embassy Pastors Perm Their Hair,like Pastor Chris! / Life Is Very Hard Without God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.