Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,590 members, 7,770,550 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:34 AM

Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate (5541 Views)

I Am Frustrated And Need Help / Help! I’m Frustrated And Want To Relocate / Jobless First Class Graduate Gets Instant Employment After PREMIUM TIMES Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Chibueze90: 2:11pm On May 16, 2017
I graduated from a federal university in the east with FIRST CLASS HONORS from Metallurgical and materials engineering 2013/2014 session... during my service year, I did some professional trainings in HSE 123, fire safety, project management, Risk assessment and Prince 2.
After my service year in 2015 up till now I have been hustling and submitted thousands of CV to companies, university. by no good result Cox of I am not connected.. my family hopes depends on me, can't even feed myself... pls my fellow nairalanders, help me out Cox I am on the verge of loosing hope nw and I don't know what my next of action will be.....

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 16, 2017
Its a pity, i truly know how you feel. Believe me its depressing but don't loose hope and never throw in the towel. Our Parents see us as escape routes from poverty. Although it worked during and some years after Colonization but right now the multinationals have left Nigeria and worse of all, we are in a recession. But nevertheless, be strong. I know you are depressed but i congratulate you for coming out to speak. Most people will sit and think of suicide which is never the best option.

My Advise is that you get yourself acquainted with skills and start up something.

15 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:
I graduated from a federal university in the east with FIRST CLASS HONORS from Metallurgical and materials engineering 2013/2014 session... during my service year, I did some professional trainings in HSE 123, fire safety, project management, Risk assessment and Prince 2.
After my service year in 2015 up till now I have been hustling and submitted thousands of CV to companies, university. by no good result Cox of I am not connected.. my family hopes depends on me, can't even feed myself... pls my fellow nairalanders, help me out Cox I am on the verge of loosing hope nw and I don't know what my next of action will be.....
apply for schorlarship or apply as a skilled worker to Canada. May God help ur hustle, i know its hard, but God will see u through

12 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Standardcosting(m): 2:17pm On May 16, 2017
Many of us here, graduated with a first class. Its nothing special anymore. I wish you the best in your hustle. If u aren't above 26 you can wait. In a couple of months many banks would be recruiting.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by FA13(m): 3:46pm On May 16, 2017
I was in the same shoes as you are now for some time.

Small companies will not employ you because they think they cannot pay you, big companies employees will prefer to put their relations there.

It gets worse when you are more than 26 and some will advice you to go for your masters which you might not have the means to process.

However, with all these challenges, there are still jobs. May be you have restricted yourself to applying to companies with 'big names', try and expand your horizon.

Furthermore, always tailor your CV to the job you are applying for (you don't need to pay anyone for this o) and just keep sending the CV to any opening where you can perform not where you like. You will be surprised when the offer will come.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 16, 2017
JustCalMeDBoss:

When you were burning midnight candle, you did not think of an alternative. Omo coming from an Igbo boy, u are just dull. U beta go and bring back ur industrious skills, or some say serve God wella. Try a couple of deliverance sessions. As for u loosing ur mind we have all been der. U will get over it. Or will not care anymore. Which ever comes first.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5324275_judgeurselfwedaugetsense_jpeg570f04741796764e2bee0f0c25b1837c

Op send me your CV through pm let me start working my wonders on it. If you don't start getting bombarded with invites within one month , call me a Baskat! angry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 16, 2017
ehie:
apply for schorlarship or apply as a skilled worker to Canada. May God help ur hustle, i know its hard, but God will see u through

how do you apply as a skilled worker in Canada because I have tried and fell in the hands of scammers....do you have any leggit means
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Chidizman(m): 4:45pm On May 16, 2017
Some peeps will troop in now to start advising him on the need to start up a business or learn a skill as if you will give him money for that!

12 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 16, 2017
Randy91:

how do you apply as a skilled worker in Canada because I have tried and fell in the hands of scammers....do you have any leggit means
i dont know u could try their website.the canadian embassy website,find the genuine one
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by davide470(m): 5:32pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90,

Have you tried applying for scholarships (fully funded ones)

3 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by jay055: 5:46pm On May 16, 2017
If you have a laptop available I'll advise you to go into programming. I'm an Engineer also and the jobs available without connections are relatively low. With proper hardwork and guidance you'll get a beginners job in web-dev between 3-6 months. freecodecamp.com and codeacademy.com are excellent resources for learning. You did really well with your academics, don't let anyone tell you otherwise (in a sane country you'll be smiling to the bank).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by sloo1: 5:53pm On May 16, 2017
I studied the same course, probably in the same uni. However, I didnt finish with first class but, by the grace of God, I have a good Job. I will advice u to do any of the following:

1. Give attention to ur CV and continue applying to just any Job (my first job was sales, then first bank, then pipline company with my HSE, then my present Job)

2. update yourself. As a metallurgist, you may consider certifications on welding inspection, plant inspection, NDT etc. They are more relevant to your field and can help you get Job even outside the country.

3. Apply for scholarships. You have first class, that is an advantage. There are alot of scholarships for you e.g newzealand scholarship, commonwealth, ptdf, bilateral etc.

4. Apply for international Job. Check Newzealand immigration website.

5. visit some organizations that are related to your field and tell them that you will like to work for them. It worked for me once.

6. God answers prayer. pray with faith.

7. Dont Give up.

I wish you the best

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by UnimkeAk(m): 6:10pm On May 16, 2017
ehie:
Skilled worker , d guy doest have a job.
Daah..
All i can say is keep looking
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Olabestonic001(m): 6:26pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:

I am pained your situations and I want to offer some advice to help you:

(1) Advice 1; Knock-off the mentality that says your family depends on you! You ain't GOD and you should not be given that enviable pressure. They'll survive if you're no longer there; so, see yourself as a plus to them rather than their all-in-all. This will help me to connect to the second advice.

(2) Drop your expectations! Nigeria graduates (especially engineering ones) have low stock in market. So, start with a low paid job if the opportunity comes calling. Don't expect to be paid 100k+ (you could be fortunate to earn way highere though, but how many companies can pay that?).

(3) Re-do your résumé. Your résumé is the first thing to announce you to any prospective employer. Spend your time on your objectives too and search online for cute entry-level résumé. Also, learn to write fine cover letters. A lot is expected of you as a First Class graduate. Let's say that's the sweet burden of being too good *winks*

(4) Deepen and broaden your search! Apart from jobs on adverts, search for companies that you're interested in. Write to them and expect nothing much from them. But, one day, one of them will need your service.

(5) If you're advanced in age, stop including it in your résumé. As much as possible, if you're more than 27 yrs, omit that for your résumé. Rather, make your First Class grade catchy and your projects and experiences pronounced. Also, if possible remove your state of origin and such stuffs from your résumé.

(6) Develop a positive attitude to life! I know you're frustrated but you need to outgrow it. Also, don't have an 'hustling' mindset or attitude; your result says otherwise. You should be fighting for more than survival, you should be posing as an influencer. A man with a survival instinct is easily spotted and he is not too good for corporate set up. This is because he can 'do anything to 'hammer''. I tell you, if any recruiter perceived you as such, they'll hardly trust to work with you. Rather, pose as an influencer. One that can help solve their organization problems and you'll always stand a better chance.

(7) Pray like you never made a First Class. In life, one needs prayer always! Most especially in third world countries where merit is not as important as favor. You need to be closer to GOD and commune with him daily. This will involve living a pure life. I tell you, there are negative spiritual forces in this world. I speak out of experience. If any one tells you otherwise, he or she is living in delusion. Note that living a prayerful life transcends just a one off getting a job; people lose their living daily due to the volatility of this country. So, get closer to GOD. Know HIM personally and you'll always come out tops in life.

It is well with you bro. I feel you pains; I can relate with it.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by BiafraBushBoy(m): 6:39pm On May 16, 2017
ehie:

Does he have a skill to apply for??

When you tell them to learn skills, it will be like you are bugging them much!!
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by BiafraBushBoy(m): 6:41pm On May 16, 2017
Chidizman:
Some peeps will troop in now to start advising him on the need to start up a business or learn a skill as if you will give him money for that!

The money he paid his university, what has he benefitted from it??

Ask yourself!!

Keep living in denial... till your eyes go clear...

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by DarkHenrie(m): 6:41pm On May 16, 2017
The guy is unemployed. How does someone with no job experience apply for skilled worker to Canada? Is that possible?
ehie:
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by DonCortino: 6:54pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:

What is cox? angry

On a serious note, try teaching, teachers are always needed in school. For a 1st class engr. grad u must be good in d sciences (hot cake for schools) or u can start home tutoring or if u have any skill develop it. You don't know d connection u might make while doing any of these that will land you that dream job.

Best of luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by divinelove(m): 7:35pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:

Go and acquire some relevant skills n go into entrepreneurship like farming or start small by teaching, go to construction sites for day jobs infact learn to hustle for money d job market is saturated already.

If all u do is submit applications then u r wasting ur time.

Bottomline submit applications but hustle for money via other ways while u wait

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Gerrard59(m): 7:45pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:

I was worse than you (mentally) until I discovered jraushub.

Visit jraushub. You need a mental revival.

A faster method. Develop a research plan and apply for the MEXT scholarship by the Japanese Government and leave the country.

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by MicroBox: 8:19pm On May 16, 2017
Some Engineering courses do not worth opting for in Nigeria.. Mechanical, Metallurgical, Production, Material Engineering and lot more engineering disciplines. Nigeria is not ripe enough to spend all your years studying them.
We have no industries to accommodate us (Engineers). In Nigeria no difference between a graduate engineer and a technician.
Billions will be hidden in a building without using them to establish what will benefit many. Obajana steel rolling mill in kogi is the best place for Metallurgical Engineers but yet the working capacity is nothing to write home anout.
I laugh and look at people who are always quick to condemn Buhari lead government. Corruption has done great damage to Nigeria.
To hell with politics.....
Until the youth know right from left then there will be a new dawn in Nigeria Economy. We need to come together to reshape and redefine our future.
Many are suffering and many are also dying due to corrupt office holders.
Nigeria youths need a big voice. UNTIL THEN..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Jolonjolo: 8:29pm On May 16, 2017
All your struggles will soon come to an end. Keep on trying and man up.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Kentnickole(m): 8:48pm On May 16, 2017
Chibueze90:

I taught your school will retain you? Keep applying dont give up.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by mmababy101(f): 9:08pm On May 16, 2017
Hello Op, Is it Unizik u grad from? Cos they dont retain first class graduates.(what a shame) I'm in same boat with u, still hustling to get a job. May God help us.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 16, 2017
Search online for scholarship programmes for advanced course tries from Scandinavian or Benelux countries.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by kaycexx(m): 9:29pm On May 16, 2017
keep your advice na money we need serious

buy laptop... God will bless your 10 fingers.

Don't venture into scamming.

Just do anything you can with your fingers and laptop stay awake all night.

That small boy they call segun_wire is now the bread winner of his family because he said mo fe mo chache.
You that want to do the chache, you can even be the bakery of your family.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by obamartins(m): 9:29pm On May 16, 2017
Don't be deceived, Canadian Federal Skilled workers program is not cheap, let me give u a little insight about some of the expenses:
1. IELTS - N6800
2. Wes Certificate evaluation (ECA) - $233.91 CAD which comes to about $185 USD per certificate.
3. To post your transcript to Wes via DHL to either their US or Canada office, you will pay ur school that money along side transcript fee
4. You will pay $500 CAD if your application is accepted.
5. You will need nothing less than $11,000 CAD dollars in your account plus other assets.
If them finally approve your application, you will buy ticket plus other small small spending. Besides, it's called a skilled workers program, hence they expected that you have worked for nothing less than 2years in your field. Guy, if u no get sponsor, don't try FSWP. No be beans, else u go just waste the little way u get, naa for people way get money, this is not to discourage u, this is the truth.

Randy91:

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by DAramis: 9:37pm On May 16, 2017
Bro,

I think you should relocate to Lagos to broaden your view of getting job(if you have someone to stay with over there).

Thou I graduated with good results and currently unemployed, but I really feel your pain as a first class knowing fully well what it takes to achieve that feat.

Does your name start with S and ends in LEY?

Does the school acronym ends in AU?... (I have this feeling that I know who you are)

In summary, location matters especially if you are still in the east(like.. .) , you definitely need to relocate to Lagos.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by GeoOla25(m): 9:41pm On May 16, 2017
apply for a job at Schlumberger website, the h don't joke with first class.

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by DAramis: 9:43pm On May 16, 2017
If you are who I really thought you are, then it is really shocking and painful that the school and your DEPARTMENT ended up denying you your WORTHY entitlement going by the fact of all that you put into achieving this dream of yours.
Re: Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 16, 2017
Wow, things have really gone downhill. When I was in the university, First Class Graduates were like celebrities. It was a rare achievement. Like a once-in-a-lifetime feat. They're so hard to come by that any achiever is given automatic employment by the university.

I don't know sha but these days it's almost like a very cheap thing to get, that i being to wonder if its the same first-class i knew about in my time.

The day I heard First-Class graduates are also unemployed in the labour market, I gave up trying and started my own small business grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Firstbank Technology Academy Aptitude Test Shortlist / Want To Setup A Supermarket With Barcode Scanning System? (oyo, Ogun, And Lagos) / Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.