Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,244 members, 7,846,146 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Still On The Wedding Party - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Still On The Wedding Party (26954 Views)

"The Wedding Party" Loses N200Million To Piracy / Man Says Northerners Were Excluded From The Wedding Party Movie, Nigerians React / My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Laveda(f): 1:17pm On May 17, 2017
I read everything, and I must commend the writer.

Its quite an interesting movie.. And I can't wait for the part two, i hope it doesn't turn out to be a big flop?

Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Lyoncrescent: 1:18pm On May 17, 2017
I think the wedding party 2 is being driven by greed. The wedding party 1 was a good movie and humorous thanks to sola sobowales role and ofcourse the yinka aiyefele music part. However, if i have to list the top 50 best nollywood movies of all time, wedding party wouldnt even come close. Its a good movie laced with humour and a breath of fresh air. Thats all there is to it.

Meanwhile, i often pity the mediocrity of nollywood. Our movies lack global themes. I remember the first time i watched 3 idiots, the indian movie i was blown away. Ive watched so many chinese movies and a lot of Nigerians watch Zee world and Telemundo . The million dollar question is why are indians in indians not blown away by our own movies ? Why are our movies not having global apeal to citizens of other countries while their own appeals to us and other gloabl countries. Nollywood hasnt arrived yet and as far as i know, we have to continue to manage with local champion content like okafors law and wedding party.

5 Likes

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by kayjee101: 1:21pm On May 17, 2017
aynurni220:
Nice write up
Nice write up like say u read am...weldonsah, kipitup
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by otswag(m): 1:22pm On May 17, 2017
Bravo. I saw this movie three days ago and was amazingly impressed. It erased my prejudice against nigerian movies and Is currently my best nollywood movie ever. Everything was just top notch.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by rman: 1:22pm On May 17, 2017
nairamaverick:
I've seen this movie, it's good but it's overhyped.

That makes two of us.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Dindondin(m): 1:24pm On May 17, 2017
This should v come in February.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Obiomon: 1:27pm On May 17, 2017
grin don't worry the part 2 will be directed by me
Loisemm:

I didn't read it o. grin
Stopped after the first 3 lines. What's their problem sef cheesy
Let them not spoil that nice movie o with a bad part 2.

1 Like

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 17, 2017
Awesome/entertaining blockbuster anyday!..i CANNOT be tired of seeing it!
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by thesishelp: 1:31pm On May 17, 2017
folakemigeh:
I think i will watch this movie once again

My best part in the movie was when Alibaba and Sola sobowale( The Brides's yoruba parents) came in with Alibaba singing Ayefele's "Eyin temi ba wo ni o" grin

u see rmd step for d ending ....I swear that film na top notch

1 Like

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by caprini1: 1:31pm On May 17, 2017
Pavore9:
They are really marketing this movie wella!
It is really a very nice , Nigerian movie,full of scenes that will make you laugh hard.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by pinkyruledworld(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2017
adaptation of American movie JUMPING THE BROOM
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by dingbang(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2017
Can you believe that up till now I haven't seen the movie.... sad
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by caprini1: 1:33pm On May 17, 2017
otswag:
Bravo. I saw this movie three days ago and was amazingly impressed. It erased my prejudice against nigerian movies and Is currently my best nollywood movie ever. Everything was just top notch.
Banky w.. really surprised me.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by thesishelp: 1:35pm On May 17, 2017
Afam4eva:
I saw a review somewhere on the wedding party but i couldn't copy it. It narrows my exact thoughts about the movie. I have never seen a more over-hyped movie in my life until wedding party was released. I don't know if i'm the only one seeing double.
yes u are d only one seeing double.... have never seen a more interesting movie from nollywood
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Destined2win: 1:35pm On May 17, 2017
Afam4eva:
I saw a review somewhere on the wedding party but i couldn't copy it. It narrows my exact thoughts about the movie. I have never seen a more over-hyped movie in my life until wedding party was released. I don't know if i'm the only one seeing double.
After seeing that movie twice, in the cinema when it came out, due to the hype I had to watch it again on the net tof check if Iwas missing sth. Then I concluded that hype really sells. Just that cash wasn't spared in its production.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Pavore9: 1:35pm On May 17, 2017
caprini1:
It is really a very nice , Nigerian movie,full of scenes that will make you laugh hard.

Have it on my phone! cheesy
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by caprini1: 1:36pm On May 17, 2017
otswag:
Truly Nigerian movies have improved,try n see Phone swap too,its quite nice.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by caprini1: 1:39pm On May 17, 2017
Pavore9:

Have it on my phone! cheesy
Remember when Ali baba was begging the cake people that it's bank network that caused the delay in their payment? i couldn't stop laughing
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by caprini1: 1:40pm On May 17, 2017
dingbang:
Can you believe that up till now I haven't seen the movie.... sad
You need to see it,real life Nigerian family wedding comedy.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Afam4eva(m): 1:41pm On May 17, 2017
thesishelp:

yes u are d only one seeing double.... have never seen a more interesting movie from nollywood
It means you're handicapped as far as watching Nigerian movies go.

Atleast i'm not seeing double..

Destined2win:
After seeing that movie twice, in the cinema when it came out, due to the hype I had to watch it again on the net tof check if Iwas missing sth. Then I concluded that hype really sells. Just that cash wasn't spared in its production.

4 Likes

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by remedick: 1:42pm On May 17, 2017
brunofarad:
I think Banky's engagement has been able to popularize this video.

it was planned to usher part 2 and don't be surprise, money changed hands to make that happened since some friends already knew that they were dating.

1 Like

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by SAtoSaiBABA: 1:49pm On May 17, 2017
Afam4eva:

It can only be interesting to those with an IQ of 70.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by laudate: 1:50pm On May 17, 2017
Lyoncrescent:
I think the wedding party 2 is being driven by greed. The wedding party 1 was a good movie and humorous thanks to sola sobowales role and ofcourse the yinka aiyefele music part. However, if i have to list the top 50 best nollywood movies of all time, wedding party wouldnt even come close. Its a good movie laced with humour and a breath of fresh air. Thats all there is to it.

Meanwhile, i often pity the mediocrity of nollywood. Our movies lack global themes. I remember the first time i watched 3 idiots, the indian movie i was blown away. Ive watched so many chinese movies and a lot of Nigerians watch Zee world and Telemundo . The million dollar question is why are indians in indians not blown away by our own movies ? Why are our movies not having global apeal to citizens of other countries while their own appeals to us and other gloabl countries. Nollywood hasnt arrived yet and as far as i know, we have to continue to manage with local champion content like okafors law and wedding party.

First, you would need to define what you mean by a 'global theme,' if you want people to understand where you are coming from. sad There are universal themes like love, grief, betrayal, greed, death, retribution, loss, revenge, trust etc., which run through a lot of films, that have gained worldwide acclaim. Are you saying these are absent in our local movies?

How many Indian films have a global theme? How many Chinese and Korean films have a global theme? Each of them still has some kind of local content or theme peculiar to their environment, that makes it different. It is not a minus, but a plus. There is beauty in diversity. We can't all be clones. I have watched a lot of foreign films, and I still see traces of their local themes and indigenous strains running through their plots. These are things that give such films their own peculiar appeal and flavour. undecided

My only grouse with the Wedding Party was that it ran for such a short period on the big screen, at the local cinemas. At Filmhouse iMAX Cinema in Lekki for example, the movie was shown for less than 4 months despite how successful it was. It also ran for short periods at other cinema halls, before the producers released it on DVD. Why the hurry? In other countries, such films will run on the big screen for at least two years! So why was the screening at the cinema halls cut short? shocked Viewers who go to the cinema to watch films do so, because they want to experience the whole ambiance of the entire hall along with other viewers, while watching the movie. The jokes, laughter, interaction, theatrics, sound etc., go a long way in making it a truly enjoyable experience. Cutting short the movie shows on the big screen, was a disservice to a lot of people. sad

1 Like

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by mpowa(m): 1:52pm On May 17, 2017
Lyoncrescent:

The movie was very good and I would rate it very high. It's not just the story, but the Characters - everybody fits their roles, then the Production is topnotch, I rarely see a nollywood movie with such quality production, it's mostly our music videos that have that. Then talking about global themes, I would say charity begins at home, before you can go global, your people must be in love with your production. I rarely watch nollywood, but I do watch Kunle Afolayan's films and 'the wedding party'. Before Nigerian music began to gain African audience then global audience, Nigerians loved it first, they started playing 50% Nigerian, 50% American music at parties and at homes, now it's almost 100%.indians love their own movies. We already have the uniqueness of the African/Nigerian story which the world would like to see, what's left is quality of acts and productions, so they should just keep up the quality and move away from and 'seven films in a week' films.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Still On The Wedding Party by laudate: 1:57pm On May 17, 2017
mpowa:
The movie was very good and I would rate it very high. It's not just the story, but the Characters - everybody fits their roles, then the Production is topnotch, I rarely see a nollywood movie with such quality production, it's mostly our music videos that have that. Then talking about global themes, I would say charity begins at home, before you can go global, your people must be in love with your production. I rarely watch nollywood, but I do watch Kunle Afolayan's films and 'the wedding party'. Before Nigerian music began to gain African audience then global audience, Nigerians loved it first, they started playing 50% Nigerian, 50% American music at parties and at homes, now it's almost 100%.indians love their own movies. We already have the uniqueness of the African/Nigerian story which the world would like to see, what's left is quality of acts and productions, so they should just keep up the quality and move away from and 'seven films in a week' films.

Very well said!! cool I agree with most of your points. I do believe, that we still need to improve the technical quality of our movies & films. We need to master the techniques of lighting, better camera angles, editing & sound. Our dialogue can also be structured to become more profound. Once we can master all these areas, and combine them with our unique story telling abilities, who knows? Our movies would surely have global appeal.... cheesy
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by sunnywinter(f): 1:58pm On May 17, 2017
folakemigeh:
I think i will watch this movie once again

My best part in the movie was when Alibaba and Sola sobowale( The Brides's yoruba parents) came in with Alibaba singing Ayefele's "Eyin temi ba wo ni o" grin
Everyone's favorite part! grin
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Sike(m): 2:03pm On May 17, 2017
Aburi001:
Only 'the Wedding Party' fans will understand the message on the picture below grin
lol.
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by Lyoncrescent: 2:06pm On May 17, 2017
laudate:

First, you would need to define what you mean by a 'global theme,' if you want people to understand where you are coming from. sad There are universal themes like love, grief, betrayal, greed, death, retribution, loss, revenge, trust etc., which run through a lot of films, that have gained worldwide acclaim.

How many Indian films have a global theme? How many Chinese and Korean films have a global theme? Each of them still has some kind of local content peculiar to their environment, that makes it different. It is not a minus, but a plus. There is beauty in diversity. We can't all be clones. I have watched a lot of foreign films, and I still see traces of their local themes and indigenous strains running through their plots. These are things that give such films their own peculiar appeal and flavour. undecided

My only grouse with the Wedding Party was that it ran for such a short period on the big screen, at the local cinemas. At Filmhouse iMAX Cinema in Lekki for example, the movie was shown for less than 4 months despite how successful it was. It also ran for short periods at other cinema halls, before the producers released it on DVD. Why the hurry? In other countries, such films will run on the big screen for at least two years! So why was the screening at the cinema halls cut short? shocked Viewers who go to the cinema to watch films do so, because they want to experience the whole ambiance of the entire hall along with other viewers, while watching the movie. The jokes, laughter, interaction, theatrics, sound etc., go a long way in making it a truly enjoyable experience. Cutting short the movie shows on the big screen, was a disservice to a lot of people. sad

Global theme may not be the right choice of words. More like Global Acceptance. For example take 3 idiots ,Kuch Kuch Hota hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham

3 Idiots released 2009 had the biggest first week total in US with around $3 million over its first four days

Kuch Kuch Hota hai released 1998 became the first film to cross $5 million mark outside India(money made outside india), and became the highest grosser ever that time

Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham was released in 2001 around 125 prints in the overseas markets, grossing a total of $8.9 million at the end of its theatrical run.[3][59] It performed very well in the United Kingdom, with a gross of $689,000 in its opening weekend. It thus debuted at the third position at the British box-office.[60] The total earnings of the film reached over $3.2 million in the UK.[59] The film also had the biggest opening ever for a Bollywood film in North America, with a gross of $1.1 million in 73 screens

My point is that Nigeria lacks the capacity for a movie to make more than 2 million dollars. If you remove lagos, im sure wedding party wont make more than 100 million naira compared to the over 400 million naira. How many of the 774 Local Governments in Nigeria even have cinemas and even if the had, how many would be feasible ?Even the cinema in calabar is struggling. in the prescence of this, releasing movies internationally to international audiecnes is the way to go. Funny enough , the Nigerian population in the UK may have flooded cinemas to eatch wedding party however we also need white british,americans,chinese,koreans,south americans to watch our movies and be blown away like i was blown away when i watched 3 idiots.

I once again agree with the wrong choice of words for Global themes but rather suggest we make quality movies that will have global acceptance unless of course we want to argue every white person is racist and will never what Nigerian movies which is not true
Re: Still On The Wedding Party by auxanosolar(f): 2:10pm On May 17, 2017
nairamaverick:
I've seen this movie, it's good but it's overhyped.
thank u jare.... I think say Na only me notice..... it was over overhyped

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Linda Ikeji With Cast Of Dark October At The Movie’s Premiere / BBNaija: Khafi To Gedoni "I Was Celibate For 8 Years After I Became Christian" / Hilda Dokubo Spotted On Set With Eucharia Anunobi & Funke Akindele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.