Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Story Time: Pursuit Of Passion, Act1 Scene 2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story Time: Pursuit Of Passion, Act1 Scene 2 (440 Views)

Dwelling Place Of Passion / Victims Of Passion / Pursuit Of Passion, Act1 Scene 2 Continuation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Story Time: Pursuit Of Passion, Act1 Scene 2 by Spylim(m): 5:59pm On May 17, 2017
ACT1 SCENE11

(The door of the main entrance opens slowly and Amaka comes out of the main house, staring at the scotching sun and also stretching her body
showing she has just woken from her sleep. She sees Okonkwo, her husband sitting alone and walks to him. A pack of logs is at a corner very close to her husband. She brought down one of the logs, rolls it and positons it very close to her husband.)

Amaka: (Fails to notice her husband ’5 mood) ‘ Hope l'can sit beside you now. (She stares at her husband on standing)

Okonkwo: (He looks at Amaka) Is the log complaining?(He replies strangely)

Amaka: (Surprised) Is the log complaining? (She repeats, wondering) My husband, how could you reply me in that manner.

Okonkwo: Why wouldn't I reply you in that manner? A woman who asks a stupid question or suggests a stupid ideal shall be paid back in the same way.

(Amaka sits beside her husband still wondering why her husband has to reply her in such a very harsh Manner. Silence takes over for some minutes before Amaka opens up a discussion.)

Amaka: We're getting closer to the festive period. The town will soon be over -popu|ated with people from far and wide who will be coming to rejoice with us.

Okonkwo: (Suddenly turns his face to his wife)
Festive period. Is it festive period you're talking about?

Amaka: (Disturbed) I'm just saying we're getting nearer to it.

Okonkwo: (Claps) Woman, festive period is for those who can and who have gathered the wood to celebrate with and not for people like us. Where's your sense, woman? Is festive period more important to you than

having children who can make you a real woman? What exactly is making you joyous when you failed in your responsibility as a woman? Aren't you a black wo .......

Amaka: (interrupts in tears) Enough, Okonkwo. But why? Why do you always like pouring stones into my pot of happiness? The more I try to forget my path of Sorrow, the more you thread on it to remind me. Can't ljust have a day of happiness in your domain? I know there was no time that I told you I wasn't ready to be conceived. So, tell me how our childlessness has to be my fault? Why must I be treated unjustly? (She continues weeping)

Okonkwo: (Shaking his head) lt'sa witch that behaves the way you're behaving. What did I say to you to warrant your deep sorrow?

Amaka: (Snaps) What have you not said to me? You’ve said it all. I'm an African woman and I know when you pinch me with my inability. Is it my inability or our inability? Am i to be blamed for the fault we’re both guilty of? (She wipes off her tears) It's our inability and due to this, should we not be party to the forth-coming festival? Would that bring us a child? Haven't we been to different native doctors both in and outside this town? They told ,us we're going to have a child. A man of little faith. Can I impregnate myself? Okay, I'm all ready to conceive for you. It‘s left for you to perform like a man. (she stands from herseat)

Okonkwo: (Getting annoyed) Haven't I performed my duties as a man to you? Am I not trying? Or do you think I'm a machine that knows no rest?

Amaka: (Trying to embarrass Okonkwo) Your trying is not enough. If you want a child then you must work harder.

Okonkwo: (Surprised) My trying is not enough? I must work harder, fine. Woman i am nota horse. lam a human being, okay.

Amaka: (Affirmatively) Your effort is not enough. You only count years that we've married forgotten that a lazy man cannot count children. (she steps backward)

Okonkwo: (In anger) A lazy man cannot count children? Tell me then what a lazy man should count?

Amaka: (Standing) A lazy man cannot count children and that is all I know.

Okonkwo: So, who is a lazy man? You or me? i need to know the body of whom laziness is hiding.

Amaka: (Steppin’g a little backward) It's you. it's you Okonkwo who has failed to.....

(Okonkwo suddenly pounces on Amaka like a lion. Amaka quickly shouts for help. It takes few minutes before Ozondo, who is an old man continue Reading at http://www.naijahips.com/2017/05/story-time-pursuit-of-passion-act1.html?m=1

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

BLEZZZED SHORT STORIES COLLECTIONS / SAM AT 18: 5 Minutes By Adura Gbemi / In The Boxing Ring Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.