Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,884 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues (1630 Views)

Christianity In Nigeria: Irrelevance Looms / Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity In Jos And It's Causing Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by akintom(m): 6:49pm On May 18, 2017
Dramatic Fall of Christianity in UK Continues: 26 Christians Abandon Faith for Every One New Convert

By STOYAN ZAIMOV

May 15, 2017 | 7:40 AM

A new study has found that the United Kingdom's nonreligious population is now bigger than its combined Christian one, with 26 believers abandoning the faith for every atheist or agnostic who decides to become a Christian.

The Benedict XVI Center for Religion and Society, launched by St. Mary's University in Twickenham, released its May study based on data from the latest British Social Attitudes survey and European Social Survey, with key findings revealing the nation's growing secularization.

The researchers noted that 24.3 million people, or 48.6 percent of the British adult population, identified as "nones" in 2015 and they are predominantly young, white and male.

The nones were found to have different faith backgrounds — 38 percent of people who now say they have no religion were brought up as nones, while 25 percent were brought up as Anglicans, 25 percent as Other Christians, and 11 percent as Catholics, before leaving the faith.

"For every one person brought up with No religion who has become a Christian, twenty-six people brought up as Christians now identify as Nones," the study noted as a key trend.

"It is no secret that a large proportion of the British population consider themselves to have no religion," wrote Stephen Bullivant, professor of Theology and the Sociology of Religion and director of the Benedict XVI Centre for Religion and Society at St. Mary's University.

"This has been a consistent finding of polls, social surveys, and censuses over the past several decades. In fact, the rise of the nonreligious is arguably the story of British religious history over the past half-century."

Christians, including Anglicans, Roman Catholics, and members of other denominations, made up 43 percent of the population in 2015, down from 67 percent in 1983.

Inner London was found to have by far the fewest nones in Britain, with only 31 percent of people identifying as such. However, this was largely due to the rising migrant populations and growing non-Christian communities. As much as 28 percent of people in inner London said they follow a non-Christian religion, which was higher than any individual Christian grouping.

As a whole, the non-Christian religious population more than quadrupled since its 2 percent share in 1983, rising to 8.4 percent in 2015. The study found that Muslims have been the main source of growth, growing from 0.6 percent to 3.9 percent in the same time period, though Hindus now also make up 2 percent of the population.

Other reports, including one from international think tank the Gatestone Institute released in April, also noted that while Christianity continues to decline in Britain, both the Islam and the none communities continue to rise.

"British multiculturalists are feeding Islamic fundamentalism. Above all, Londonistan, with its new 423 mosques, is built on the sad ruins of English Christianity," the think tank said then .

It pointed out that since 2001, 500 churches in London of all denominations have been turned into private homes, while the number of Muslims has grown by almost a million.

Gatestone also warned that as many as 100 Islamic sharia courts are now operating in London, despite their rejection of human rights and the values of freedom and equality of English Common Law.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/dramatic-fall-of-christianity-in-uk-continues-26-christians-abandon-faith-for-every-one-new-convert-183598/

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by whitebeard(m): 6:57pm On May 18, 2017
cheesy end time stuff
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by CyrusTheGreat: 7:00pm On May 18, 2017
Lmao this isn't news, this is common knowledge.

It's because the UK has a lot of people who have common sense now, and aren't insular god-fearers like the average Naijan.

Same goes for most of Western Europe where Christianity was once law.

Hopefully this happens in Naija one day. Woop! grin

Map of Europe by % of people who are religious. Notice the steady decline in the West. grin

2 Likes

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by hopefulLandlord: 7:00pm On May 18, 2017
it'll soon apply to Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by CyrusTheGreat: 7:08pm On May 18, 2017
akintom:

Other reports, including one from international think tank the Gatestone Institute released in April, also noted that while Christianity continues to decline in Britain, both the Islam and the none communities continue to rise.

"British multiculturalists are feeding Islamic fundamentalism. Above all, Londonistan, with its new 423 mosques, is built on the sad ruins of English Christianity," the think tank said then .

It pointed out that since 2001, 500 churches in London of all denominations have been turned into private homes, while the number of Muslims has grown by almost a million.

LMAO WHAT IS THIS STUPID PROPAGANDIST BULLSHIT. "Londonistan"? HAHAHAHA. The Gatestone Institute is a pathetic fearmongering neo-nazi rag. I'm surprised how close some religious Nigerians will place themselves to white supremacist nazis who see them as lesser beings for the sole purpose of being anti-secular or anti-islam. It's quite pathetic actually.

I do think Shariah courts should be banned but "British Multiculturalism" is not what's feeding it. If anything, it's Islam and it's imposition of Shariah that's anti-multicultural.

"Don't stop worshiping Christianity 'cause 'den da muslims are gonna take over!" - garbage-brain.
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by bravesoul247(m): 7:16pm On May 18, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:
Lmao this isn't news, this is common knowledge.

It's because the UK has a lot of people who have common sense now, and aren't insular god-fearers like the average Naijan.

Same goes for most of Western Europe where Christianity was once law.

Hopefully this happens in Naija one day. Woop! grin

Map of Europe by % of people who are religious. Notice the steady decline in the West. grin
Sometimes I wonder the kind mind una atheist de get, I swear. As in you sleep and wake up without fear that God might just allow the devil take your life. I no wish to get this kind mind even if I be sinner. God have mercy.
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:22pm On May 18, 2017
Sorry to burst the atheist bubble, but Christianity isn't on the decline, it is simply undergoing a demographic shift

Even in the West, in places like the United States, it is reported that more people identify as Christians now than ever before. They just choose not to align themselves with any of the mainstream Christian denominations (i.e. Catholics, Baptists, Methodists,
Episcopalian etc)
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by youngG10(m): 7:30pm On May 18, 2017
In the next half century or so, Christianity’s long reign as the world’s largest religion may come to an end, according to a just-released report that builds on Pew Research Center’s original population growth projections for religious groups . Indeed, Muslims will grow more than twice as fast as the overall world population between 2015 and 2060 and, in the second half of this century, will likely surpass Christians as the world’s largest religious group.
While the world’s population is projected to grow 32% in the coming decades, the number of Muslims is expected to increase by 70% – from 1.8 billion in 2015 to nearly 3 billion in 2060. In 2015, Muslims made up 24.1% of the global population. Forty-five years later, they are expected to make up more than three-in-ten of the world’s people (31.1%).
The main reasons for Islam’s growth ultimately involve simple demographics. To begin with, Muslims have more children than members of the seven other major religious groups analyzed in the study. Muslim women have an average of 2.9 children, significantly above the next-highest group (Christians at 2.6) and the average of all non-Muslims (2.2). In all major regions where there is a sizable Muslim population, Muslim fertility exceeds non-Muslim fertility.
The growth of the Muslim population also is helped by the fact that Muslims have the youngest median age (24 in 2015) of all major religious groups, more than seven years younger than the median age of non-Muslims (32).

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by hopefulLandlord: 7:31pm On May 18, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

according to headlines, Messi has signed for Chelsea in 2012, Ronaldo has gone back to Man U in 2013, Bale has transferred to Man U in 2015, Real Madrid have signed Hazard, Mbappe is now a Madrid player
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:35pm On May 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

according to headlines, Messi has signed for Chelsea in 2012, Ronaldo has gone back to Man U in 2013, Bale has transferred to Man U in 2015, Real Madrid have signed Hazard, Mbappe is now a Madrid player

The headline is from the Washington Post which is traditionally a left-leaning, liberal media outfit. I don't see why they, of all people, would make up such a story.
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by hopefulLandlord: 7:36pm On May 18, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

The headline is from the Washington Post which is traditionally a left-leaning, liberal media outfit. I don't see why they, of all people, would make up such a story.

you're "logicalmind" so you should know that headlines don't confirm anything, we need the link to the article, that's my point bro
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:44pm On May 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you're "logicalmind" so you should know that headlines don't confirm anything, we need the link to the article, that's my point bro

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/05/20/think-christianity-is-dying-no-christianity-is-shifting-dramatically/?utm_term=.bb2197c94bc9
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 8:53pm On May 18, 2017
TheLogicalMind:
Sorry to burst the atheist bubble, but Christianity isn't on the decline, it is simply undergoing a demographic shift

Even in the West, in places like the United States, it is reported that more people identify as Christians now than ever before. They just choose not to align themselves with any of the mainstream Christian denominations (i.e. Catholics, Baptists, Methodists,
Episcopalian etc)

Stop the denial. Christianity is on the decline.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by CyrusTheGreat: 9:22pm On May 18, 2017
bravesoul247:

Sometimes I wonder the kind mind una atheist de get, I swear. As in you sleep and wake up without fear that God might just allow the devil take your life. I no wish to get this kind mind even if I be sinner. God have mercy.

They don't wake up with fear because they know god doesn't exist. And if a god did exist, like the muslim or christian god (they don't), why would they bow to him? Through the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Quran, the abrahamic god has shown themselves time and time again to be conceited, jealous, greedy, malicious, violent, genocidal and crude. Who would want to bow their head to a supposed creator like that? Apparently over 3 billion people sad .

I'm starting to realise that a lot of people - like you - can't criticise your religion because it is so entrenched in your mind that every thought is made with the assumptions tailored to your specific religion. You frame atheists as waking up not having "fear that god might allow the devil to take your life", but that actually says a lot about the way YOU think. A predisposed, irrational fear of a creator that has no factual evidence of existence and a LOT of circumstantial evidence for non-existence, that was instilled in you by an extremely religious culture. It shows a lack of understanding about the fundamentals of nature and science and how the world works, and a paranoia of divine mythology.

Most of Western Europe is highly educated and highly multicultural. Being multicultural opens the blinds on other peoples' eyes on things like religion, because it is exposure to just how fabricated the concept of deities and religious orderings can really be.

Time for Christians and Muslims to wake up.

[img]https://pics.me.me/christians-dont-believe-in-3699-gods-atheists-dont-believe-in-8966091.png[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by TheLogicalMind(m): 10:41pm On May 18, 2017
Born2Freak:

This isn't a question of denial or acceptance. It is purely a question of whether your claims are borne out by evidence and sadly for you, they aren't. That makes YOU, to be the person in denial, not me grin
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Krystalzkris(f): 3:42am On May 19, 2017
I didn't bother to read this long epistle.. All I know is that it is true.. . In my class alone, many guys totally worship me because I'm that which they are scared of being.. The only thing keeping many Christians is the fear of hell.. In my department, most of them are agnostic without even knowing it.. . We'd get over religion with time.. Many of the ones who dared to talk with me have quit church, some are still lying to themselves because of fear.. "hmm Kris, I cannot be an atheist oo. I know the Bible is Kinda weird but abeg, I can't " and I keep wondering when I asked them to become atheists..

Christianity is on its stationery phase. For those who understand microbial growth...
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 6:46am On May 19, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

This isn't a question of denial or acceptance. It is purely a question of whether your claims are borne out by evidence and sadly for you, they aren't. That makes YOU, to be the person in denial, not me grin

T
The church going rate in the UK has been dropping constantly over decades.

More and more Americans are now unbelievers.

Be there deceiving yourself

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by akintom(m): 8:00am On May 19, 2017
Cc: Seun
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by LiberaDeus: 8:09am On May 19, 2017
bravesoul247:

if you could think well, you would consider the fact that atheists have existed for aeons and nothing happen to them that doesnt happen to christians or other religious people.

I havent said a prayer in 7 years and am still standing and i get all the journey mercies and so called protection you lot think you have specially

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by ilynem(m): 8:13am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

And this makes you happy, why?
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 8:15am On May 19, 2017
ilynem:

And this makes you happy, why?

Because I am not a delusional person who expects a dead jewish zombie to give me salvation

2 Likes

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by ilynem(m): 8:18am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

Because I am not a delusional person who expects a dead jewish zombie to give me salvation
So what's your problem with other delusional people? Why does it annoy you that people have chosen to remain delusional?
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 8:20am On May 19, 2017
ilynem:

So what's your problem with other delusional people? Why does it annoy you that people have chosen to remain delusional?

Like a zombie infestation, the zombies will still kill you even if you are immune to the zombie virus.

I'm immune to the delusion but it doesn't mean that the delusional people will not harm me with discrimination

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by ilynem(m): 8:49am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

Like a zombie infestation, the zombies will still kill you even if you are immune to the zombie virus.

I'm immune to the delusion but it doesn't mean that the delusional people will not harm me with discrimination
So are you saying Christianity is harmful to you?
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 9:10am On May 19, 2017
ilynem:

So are you saying Christianity is harmful to you?

To every black man wink

1 Like

Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by ilynem(m): 9:18am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

To every black man wink
Please educate me. How if I may ask? And note I am asking "how is Christianity harmful to a black man". Emphasis on the word Christianity.
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Nobody: 9:22am On May 19, 2017
Krystalzkris:
I didn't bother to read this long epistle.. All I know is that it is true.. . In my class alone, many guys totally worship me because I'm that which they are scared of being.. The only thing keeping many Christians is the fear of hell.. In my department, most of them are agnostic without even knowing it.. . We'd get over religion with time.. Many of the ones who dared to talk with me have quit church, some are still lying to themselves because of fear.. "hmm Kris, I cannot be an atheist oo. I know the Bible is Kinda weird but abeg, I can't " and I keep wondering when I asked them to become atheists..

Christianity is on its stationery phase. For those who understand microbial growth...

In my class alone, many guys totally worship me because I'm that which they are scared of being...

Hail Krystalzkris, full of beauty, thy lord is with thee... grin
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Nobody: 9:25am On May 19, 2017
Born2Freak:

Is like you want to burn in hell fire for all eternity?

grin grin grin
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Nobody: 9:36am On May 19, 2017
The truth is when you are in a system/society that works, you discover most of the prayers Christians say over here are results of failed leadership.

Does an average UK citizen pray for God's healing? No, they have a first class health care sector. So who needs miracles from GOs?

Christianity needs serious reforms withstand with is currently going on.
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Krystalzkris(f): 1:44pm On May 19, 2017
onyenze123:

Hail Krystalzkris, full of beauty, thy lord is with thee... grin
blessed am I amongst men and blessed are the words that cometh forth from my mouth.. .
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by GoodMuyis(m): 3:11pm On May 19, 2017
If the research report is true, that happen as a result of bullshiting propaganda of The Grand Lodge of England. Those who claimed to be irreligious, where actually member of Freemasons.

Joining Freemasons in UK is just like joining a ruling political party in Nigeria, for what?

Political favour, Job security, etc.

Even here on Nairaland, some of those who claimed to be atheist belong to a fraternity, but using atheism as a cover. If am lying, Soyinka is a case study.

Which one do you belong?
Re: Dramatic Fall Of Christianity In Uk Continues by Born2Freak(f): 3:14pm On May 19, 2017
GoodMuyis:
If the research report is true, that happen as a result of bullshiting propaganda of The Grand Lodge of England. Those who claimed to be irreligious, where actually member of Freemasons.

Joining Freemasons in UK is just like joining a ruling political party in Nigeria, for what?

Political favour, Job security, etc.

Even here on Nairaland, some of those who claimed to be atheist belong to a fraternity, but using atheism as a cover. If am lying, Soyinka is a case study.

Please, kind sir, can I sample the resin you've been smoking?

I only ask because that is some crackpot conspiracy you got there!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Doesn't Bb Naija Hold Religious Programs For The Housemates / Are Yahweh, Allah, Atum, Moloch, Olorun And Other Gods Created By The Same GOD? / “If Sango was that powerful,why didn’t he supply electricity to our cities,”-PSA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.