Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

"Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi (3271 Views)

Igbo Leaders & Hamza Almustapha Meet Prof Ango Abdullahi (Photos) / Ango Abdullahi Backs Quit Notice To Igbos Issued By Northern Youths / Ango Abdullahi Replies Emir Sanusi Over His Comments About The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by ahmedkoded95(m): 8:42am On May 20, 2017
Prof Ango Abdullahi -spokesperson of the Northern Elders Forum, a think-tank for the 19 Northern states, has said that the north is ready if Nigeria decides to break up.

In an interview with Sunday Sun, Ango, a politician, professor of Agronomy, one-time Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University who attended four constitutional conferences in Nigeria threw a challenge to those who think that the North is afraid of Nigeria’s disintegration into more basic constituents.

He said the North was ever ready for the dissolution and that the way to go about it was through the calling of a formal meeting with complete powers to terminate the legal relationships between the constituent parts in Nigeria.

According to him, If we agree that we should live together as a people and as a country, so be it, but if the general consensus is that Nigerians want to go their separate ways either on the basis of ethnicity, culture, history or religion, why not; why not, adding, “if anybody tells you that the large informed opinion in the North is against the dissolution of Nigeria, he is telling you lies.”

Reacting to a question on the readiness of the North for a dissolution, the agronomist, replied: "Absolutely, absolutely, we are. It all depends on the selfish way people want to negotiate.

I am 78 now and I also went to the only university in the country at the time in Ibadan. Nobody can tell me about the history of this country.

I know a lot about it because I was very much awake and a grown up person to know what happened.

"The people who argued for the creation of states in 1966/67 are the same people today who are asking for the restructuring of Nigeria with particular preference for regional arrangements.

The South-west wants preferably a region, a region that was at one time under the leadership of Chief Awolowo, unless, of course, you are trying to ignore all the writings, all the things that had been written, particularly in their declaration called DAWN, Development Agenda for Western Nigeria, then you can ignore this."

He further noted that "Biafrans who are saying the same thing. Chief Ekwueme is my respected leader.

"He was in the 1995/96 conference. In fact, he led the Igbo socio-cultural group to the conference and their proposal in that conference was for Nigeria to become a confederate unit. And of course, at that time, perhaps, there was still the feeling that some hopes still remain that Nigeria should paddle along and perhaps they will overcome some of these differences.

His proposal for confederate arrangement was defeated in the conference. I was there. But when he got the opportunity to review the report of the conference, a committee was set up to look at the report of the conference.

He was the one who really worked for these so-called geo-political areas that is totally unconstitutional.

They are not part of our constitution and this is one of the mistakes that the country is going through. Geo-political zones are not units in our constitutional arrangements.

They are selfish conveniences of people who are perhaps clamouring for political positions, elective or otherwise, that are operating today to the detriment of good governance in this country."

Prof Ango Abdullahi further reacted to why the North is ready for dissolution, speaking on the indices, he said: "The biggest indices other Nigerians do not want Nigeria; so I don’t see why the North should insist on having Nigeria. That is the biggest index I have. And this is on the basis of the recent statements.

The Nigerian elite are the ones undermining the existence of the country and as long as they remain in the fore-front as elite and politicians, so long as we are going to have problems, so long will Nigeria not have the rapid development that we had hoped to when we got independence in 1960."

He noted that there are statements hinting strongly at the dissolution. He said: "The Nwabuezes of this world. We sat with him a number of times, we argued, he is vehemently anti-North, anti-Hausa/Fulani. I spoke to him and he cannot deny this."

Speaking on restructuring, he said: "Which restructuring? What restructuring do you want? Initially, there was a bloc country broken into regions.

The regions were broken into states and today, there are 774 local governments, mainly in pursuance of so-called grassroots participation in government. What else is there?

The only thing that we have not had…we had constitutional conferences so many of them. We had all these creation of states, which we were not able to do as civilians and we only waited for the military to come and do them and still people are saying tha coolt they are not satisfied with the structure as it is in Nigeria."

Cc lalasticlala

https://politics.naij.co[right][/right]m/1086517-northern-nigeria-ready-breakup-prof-ango-abdullahi.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by rose54321: 8:44am On May 20, 2017
Abegi, northerners aren't ready for any breakup now until oil exploration is at exploration/ production level.

Fortunately or unfortunately Nigeria as a country has long been carved by our colonizers and there's really nothing we can do about it.
Maybe in decades to come, the south can break away, but I don't foresee that anytime soon.

What we would advocate​ for rather is reviewing the requirement to win the presidential election, it only favours the North. Either another state is given to the south east, or we return back to zonal regional structures, the latter seems more feasible.

It's unfair for a single zone to have a larger say simply because of their population.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by divinehand2003(m): 8:57am On May 20, 2017
That is a positive step in the right direction. A very big welcome development. I pray the rest of the north agree with his opinions.
It's high we practiced true federalism by following the recommendations of the national conference held over 2 years ago. That is the only way we can have peace, make reasonable progress and experience genuine growth and development.
The present national system was meant to fail even before it started.

3 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by LordAdam16: 8:59am On May 20, 2017
Oya, Buhari do the needful...

No long story.

-Lord

6 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by GreatEngineer(m): 9:00am On May 20, 2017
Then what are we waiting for?

8 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by TheFreeOne: 9:08am On May 20, 2017
I have never seen where a parasite willingly to let go of its host unless it's forcefully removed.

Anyway another option is if the host is dying / dead then it'll reluctantly let go.

Prof Ango should tell us another story.

7 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by magmack: 9:16am On May 20, 2017
This is a way forward, even though the north is never sincerely ready for any break up. But I think Nigeria has failed its purpose if 57 years down d line we now fall in rank with countries like Djibouti, Chad, Niger, in terms of minimum wage and some economic indices. The Nigerian governments over the years have never impacted on the masses. Everyone should just separate based on ethnic and cultural background. Let us handle our problems according to our God given boundaries and cultures. It happened in India ( bangladesh, Pakistan, and India), same in Malaysia (Malaysia and Singapore). It is Neva too late for Nigeria to disintegrate and that is the only option left for the common man to be invigorated. UNITY IS NEVER BY FORCE!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by JideAmuGiaka: 9:18am On May 20, 2017
rose54321:
Abegi, northerners aren't ready for any breakup now until oil exploration is at exploration/ production level.

Fortunately or unfortunately Nigeria as a country has long been carved by our colonizers and there's really nothing we can do about it.
Maybe in decades to come, the south can break away, but I don't foresee that anytime soon.

What we would advocate​ for rather is reviewing the requirement to win the presidential election, it only favours the North. Either another state is given to the south east, or we return back to zonal regional structures, the latter seems more feasible.

It's unfair for a single zone to have a larger say simply because of their population.

Look at the constitution, no Christian or Christianity is mentioned there but Islam, look at how they splits their region just to have more allocations and representatives in lower and upper Chambers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by sanandreas(m): 9:19am On May 20, 2017
The last thing on their mind. How would Jigawa, Yobe, Bornu, Kebbi, Niger, Benue, and a host of other parasites survive? The next big thing to consume the North will be the Almajiri's. 25 million Almajiri's roaming the streets of North. A northerner will never have meaningful investment in the South. They are either mashai, onion seller, carrot seller or scrap collectors. I wonder if it is thesame religion they practice with Saudi Arabia or Turkey

5 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 9:24am On May 20, 2017
sanandreas:
The last thing on their mind. How would Jigawa, Yobe, Bornu, Kebbi, Niger, Benue, and a host of other parasites survive?

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by odogwubiafra: 9:45am On May 20, 2017
If they dare it, in just one year, they are gone.
In a dry land.
No brains.
No educational facilities.
No urge for personal development.

Their leaders and elites;
Very selfish, cunny and wicked.
They Lack conceptual, interpersonal and technical skills.

7 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by TheFreeOne: 10:13am On May 20, 2017
odogwubiafra:
If they dare it, in just one year, they are gone.
In a dry land.
No brains.
No educational facilities.
No urge for personal development.

Their leaders and elites;
Very selfish, cunny and wicked.
They Lack conceptual, interpersonal and technical skills.

Within 5-10 years ISIL and other terrorists organizations will have a strong foothold within the region to give them a fool blown real sharia laws courtesy of house of saud wahhabism.

4 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by juman(m): 10:18am On May 20, 2017
Ango Abdullahi is a noise maker.

Who is begging north not to break away.

Its easiest for the north to break away than other regions.

If they want to break they should break now now nah.

One nigeria succkks.

North led this destroyed country so much but they could not achieve anything tangible.

5 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by ZombieTAMER: 10:23am On May 20, 2017
Let the break aways begin

Nigeria is a geographical expression and not a country.....

We don't want Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Mune: 10:23am On May 20, 2017
As a northerner, breaking up the country will not change anything for me. Most people who even want the one Nigeria are our politician who mostly benefit from the arrangement.

If Nigeria were to break, the southerners will suffer it the most. The economy and everything is in the hand of the Southerners, and that will elude you.

2 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 10:36am On May 20, 2017
Mune:
As a northerner, breaking up the country will not change anything for me. Most people who even want the one Nigeria are our politician who mostly benefit from the arrangement.

If Nigeria were to break, the southerners will suffer it the most. The economy and everything is in the hand of the Southerners, and that will elude you.
okay so someone from katsina or nassarawa would be better of than someone from lagos or anambra without oil right?anyway forget it, nigeria isnt going to divide anytime soon

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by bennyann: 10:37am On May 20, 2017
Are you sure? You're ready for break up or you're hungry for power and dominion? undecided

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by IJOBA2: 10:43am On May 20, 2017
LET ME CATEGORICALLY STATE HERE THAT AFONJA MUSLIMS WILL NOT LIKE THIS NEWS. NOW LALASTICLALA FEED THE AFONJA MUSLIMS AND WATCH EM SING ONE NIGERIA FOR USgrin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Cooly100: 10:57am On May 20, 2017
IJOBA2:
LET ME CATEGORICALLY STATE HERE THAT AFONJA MUSLIMS WILL NOT LIKE THIS NEWS. NOW LALASTICLALA FEED THE AFONJA MUSLIMS AND WATCH EM SING ONE NIGERIA FOR USgrin

He will not, instead, watch this post get thrown out...but the post of FFK's "bitter truth about the Igbos" will be left...How much tribalism do you want to see, even in social media!!

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Mune: 11:35am On May 20, 2017
ztapi:

okay so someone from katsina or nassarawa would be better of than someone from lagos or anambra without oil right?anyway forget it, nigeria isnt going to divide anytime soon

That's not what am trying to say Mr!

A person from the north can survive without your oil as he has not been benefiting from the oil as you people seem to portray.

All the companies in Nigeria are dominated by southern ceo. In any scenario, if Nigeria is to break, that has to change for our good. The competition in your land for the scarce resource will be your greatest undoing.

For us, life will go on and we will finally wake up from our slumber; something providing you people with the ammunitions to attack us.

2 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 11:55am On May 20, 2017
Mune:

That's not what am trying to say Mr!

A person from the north can survive without your oil as he has not been benefiting from the oil as you people seem to portray.

All the companies in Nigeria are dominated by southern ceo. In any scenario, if Nigeria is to break, that has to change for our good. The competition in your land for the scarce resource will be your greatest undoing.

For us, life will go on and we will finally wake up from our slumber; something providing you people with the ammunitions to attack us.
offcourse i know what you mean but its only based on very wrong assumptions, the IGR of states is a rough reflection of how independent they can be without input from the centre and on that basis i dont think most northern states can do as well as their southern counterparts when it comes to standard of living

4 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 20, 2017
To roll this man for gutter dey hungry me wallahi me nene iskanchi wanan

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Mune: 12:09pm On May 20, 2017
ztapi:

offcourse i know what you mean but its only based on very wrong assumptions, the IGR of states is a rough reflection of how independent they can be without input from the centre and on that basis i dont think most northern states can do as well as their southern counterparts when it comes to standard of living

That's not my assumption.

Imagine you having no father and mother after they've pampering you for years. Moreover, they left you no inheritance. In that circumstances, you have to search and look inwards to find your potential which you may not even know about.

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Oracle16(m): 12:21pm On May 20, 2017
Is he sure?

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by orisa37: 12:25pm On May 20, 2017
ahmedkoded95:
Prof Ango Abdullahi -spokesperson of the Northern Elders Forum, a think-tank for the 19 Northern states, has said that the north is ready if Nigeria decides to break up.

In an interview with Sunday Sun, Ango, a politician, professor of Agronomy, one-time Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University who attended four constitutional conferences in Nigeria threw a challenge to those who think that the North is afraid of Nigeria’s disintegration into more basic constituents.

He said the North was ever ready for the dissolution and that the way to go about it was through the calling of a formal meeting with complete powers to terminate the legal relationships between the constituent parts in Nigeria.

According to him, If we agree that we should live together as a people and as a country, so be it, but if the general consensus is that Nigerians want to go their separate ways either on the basis of ethnicity, culture, history or religion, why not; why not, adding, “if anybody tells you that the large informed opinion in the North is against the dissolution of Nigeria, he is telling you lies.”

Reacting to a question on the readiness of the North for a dissolution, the agronomist, replied: "Absolutely, absolutely, we are. It all depends on the selfish way people want to negotiate.

I am 78 now and I also went to the only university in the country at the time in Ibadan. Nobody can tell me about the history of this country.

I know a lot about it because I was very much awake and a grown up person to know what happened.

"The people who argued for the creation of states in 1966/67 are the same people today who are asking for the restructuring of Nigeria with particular preference for regional arrangements.

The South-west wants preferably a region, a region that was at one time under the leadership of Chief Awolowo, unless, of course, you are trying to ignore all the writings, all the things that had been written, particularly in their declaration called DAWN, Development Agenda for Western Nigeria, then you can ignore this."

He further noted that "Biafrans who are saying the same thing. Chief Ekwueme is my respected leader.

"He was in the 1995/96 conference. In fact, he led the Igbo socio-cultural group to the conference and their proposal in that conference was for Nigeria to become a confederate unit. And of course, at that time, perhaps, there was still the feeling that some hopes still remain that Nigeria should paddle along and perhaps they will overcome some of these differences.

His proposal for confederate arrangement was defeated in the conference. I was there. But when he got the opportunity to review the report of the conference, a committee was set up to look at the report of the conference.

He was the one who really worked for these so-called geo-political areas that is totally unconstitutional.

They are not part of our constitution and this is one of the mistakes that the country is going through. Geo-political zones are not units in our constitutional arrangements.

They are selfish conveniences of people who are perhaps clamouring for political positions, elective or otherwise, that are operating today to the detriment of good governance in this country."

Prof Ango Abdullahi further reacted to why the North is ready for dissolution, speaking on the indices, he said: "The biggest indices other Nigerians do not want Nigeria; so I don’t see why the North should insist on having Nigeria. That is the biggest index I have. And this is on the basis of the recent statements.

The Nigerian elite are the ones undermining the existence of the country and as long as they remain in the fore-front as elite and politicians, so long as we are going to have problems, so long will Nigeria not have the rapid development that we had hoped to when we got independence in 1960."

He noted that there are statements hinting strongly at the dissolution. He said: "The Nwabuezes of this world. We sat with him a number of times, we argued, he is vehemently anti-North, anti-Hausa/Fulani. I spoke to him and he cannot deny this."

Speaking on restructuring, he said: "Which restructuring? What restructuring do you want? Initially, there was a bloc country broken into regions.

The regions were broken into states and today, there are 774 local governments, mainly in pursuance of so-called grassroots participation in government. What else is there?

The only thing that we have not had…we had constitutional conferences so many of them. We had all these creation of states, which we were not able to do as civilians and we only waited for the military to come and do them and still people are saying tha coolt they are not satisfied with the structure as it is in Nigeria."

Cc lalasticlala

https://politics.naij.co[right][/right]m/1086517-northern-nigeria-ready-breakup-prof-ango-abdullahi.html

Is that why the North is recklessly squandering Nigerian hard earned resources on Bokoharam, Chiboks Girls, Building Roads and Schools inNiger Republic and establishing Army Base in Daura when we all know that 3/4 of Daura Emirate lives in Niger Republic?
No so fast Prof., all National Assets and Liabilities will be shared equitably when the time comes;

2 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by DrGoodman: 12:39pm On May 20, 2017
GreatEngineer:
Then what are we waiting for?

We are waiting for the Afonjas to make up their minds also, but with the way their heads is buried deep inside Fulani abenn.a, I doubt if they will have the guts. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by malton: 12:46pm On May 20, 2017
Laugh wan kill me!

grin

Though I have seen a similar news before and kind of think this is old.

This old man's knack for heating up the polity is second to none.

All these useless old men stirring trouble on a daily basis do so because they have nothing to lose.

The right word is, they'll cope just fine, surviving instead of living.

Truth is, the North won't be able to carry itself today, nor in 50 years' time.

Them never ready!

2 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by KevinDein: 12:53pm On May 20, 2017
sanandreas:
The last thing on their mind. How would Jigawa, Yobe, Bornu, Kebbi, Niger, Benue, and a host of other parasites survive?
Lol, do not worry your head about that, Mr. All those states will do just fine, at least not any worse than the current situation they find themselves in.
The average man in these state hasn't really benefitted much from the so-called oil from the South. Breaking up means forcing the leaders of those states to look inward.
Benue, for instance, with its huge land mass probably has the most fertile land in the country.

Y'all shouldn't worry. Breaking up will be in the best interests of everyone; the average northerner on the streets; and southerners. Except of course the elites of both regions. grin

4 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 20, 2017
Clueless fulani man ranting all d time.Desert threatening milk and honey.
U got nothing to offer,when u haven't ,u produced almajiri factories

1 Like

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by I888(m): 1:17pm On May 20, 2017
rose54321:

he said they are ready for either restructuring or regionalism.
Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by Eziokwuegbuozoo: 1:23pm On May 20, 2017
Trash! Op mind yourselfO, you went and Dug up old news which they have come out to deny, they're currently confused, they don't know where to run to grin but this time around, if they still have some cow brain remaining in them, they should better start planning on how to survive the wretchedness and famines that's about to enthrone them grin which is what they're trying to avoid by trying to resist the break up, because the break up is inevitable.

4 Likes

Re: "Northern Nigeria Is Ready For Breakup" - Prof Ango Abdullahi by gberra: 1:37pm On May 20, 2017
If the North should seceed, what becomes of the fate of we the Igbo Muslims. How shall we be able to fund the Imo state central mosque?

May Allah keep one Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra: This Is My Place In Onitsha,anambra State No Movement (pic) / Reactions As Tinubu's Wife Calls "Lagos Youths Lazy Only Come To Beg For Money" / 2023: Northern Power Brokers Reportedly Abandon Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.