Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,353 members, 7,812,004 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? (5705 Views)

Poll: Do They?

Yes: 80% (36 votes)
No: 20% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / Top Five Hit Songs Not Written By Artistes Who Sang Them / Which Nigerian Artists Will One Day Bring Grammy Award To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by hauler: 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2010
The same can be said about the music scene in the USA, all the so called artists with good lyrical content never get good sales/recognition. Instead you have artists like lil wayne and soulja boy making all the dough. So stop knocking the naija artists. As long as these guys arent out there robbing people or on the 'net pulling 419 schemes they are all right with me. They do a very good job making use of the little technology they can afford.
When was the last time beyonce said something that made sense in a song? But artists like India Arie remain in the shadows.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by sunbarthe: 9:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
They try marketing the ''rough work'' on a trial and error basis and they surprisingly make sales. Tho excellent finishing sales greatly,they dont wana giv it a second thot
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by mamagee3(f): 9:39pm On Jan 15, 2010
Cause Nigerian musicians are always trying to be like American musicians
instead of being themselves
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by tayoast(m): 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
the music industry is booming & they want 2 part of it, thus the blah blah lyrics.

Hardly will u find them not screaming d name of d beat makers & their record labels.

those wu know their stuff dont do that. Asa, Tuface, Darey (& sm others) r the few with d lyrics
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by tnk24: 12:44am On Jan 16, 2010
The standard of music in any given society is a refletion of that society. Majority of Nigerian artistes are not versed and knowledgable enough about the rudiments of music. Like some rightly mentioned, good musics with good lyrics are not appreciated in Nigeria and therefore are less popular and less commercially viable when compared to the "ghetto kind" of music we see/hear on air on daily basis. Not withstanding this fact, I belief Nigerian music has come a long way to be widely regarded as the best in Africa, therefore the artistes should be appreciated and encouraged.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 16, 2010
When they are being real I think they say things that make sense. (Tu face---For instance). Many 9ja tracks are extremely sub par lyrically and what annoys the most is they still attribute talent to themselves with wak lyrics. Not just Nigerians, Many of the songs out today are seriosuly crap. I can't even turn on the radio for 5 minutes without going errrrrrrrrrrrrrr while grabbing the steering tight!!!! you know that errrr Dexter does when his sister pisses him off.

Off topic

I'm stalking someone that has posted here. wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by olawahle: 11:37am On Jan 16, 2010
im one of upcoming artistes in 9ija. and i think i can reat view thing about this,were sing but you people eye the music and dance. some of nigeria peoples dem dont eye what musician are try to said but dem used to dance to the music bet only but why
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Hardballer(m): 11:55am On Jan 16, 2010
cant tell over all tht auto tune
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 16, 2010
Yes, most Nigerian artistes aren't really good song writers, I think the industry is more about entertainment and money makiing than the quality of your material. Which is why most of the hottest artistes now will fade away in a couple of years because their music has no deep meaning. But artistes like Dare, Tuface, Sasha, Pype, Asa and a few others will be respected, not just because they're are top selling, but because the quality of their music is very good.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by ucnduka(f): 2:20pm On Jan 16, 2010
I think this poor lyrics thing is a worldwide phenomenon and I believe it's because a lot of young folks who patronise these artistes do not have the ears and patience to listen to good lyrics instead they prefer songs they can dance 'alanta' to. As long as the beat is good people will buy the cd even if all the artiste is saying is dem mama, kolomental, swagga and other nonsense. Bottomline, we enjoy mediocrity.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by gbigbega: 3:27pm On Jan 16, 2010
The lack of creativity in the industry is alarming.

The singers are singing nonsensical word all the time. The producers are using the same type of 'dance-all' beat ( i am sincerely tired of hearing that dance-all beat every musician is using nowadays).

We need people who are creative & inspiring. Music that makes you want to try something new yourself.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by baybbootz(f): 3:39pm On Jan 16, 2010
^^
lyk cobhams n don jazzy ryt?
smiley
they r bombs n r gudddddddddd
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by 4peace(m): 3:44pm On Jan 16, 2010
uc nduka:

I think this poor lyrics thing is a worldwide phenomenon and I believe it's because a lot of young folks who patronise these artistes do not have the ears and patience to listen to good lyrics instead they prefer songs they can dance 'alanta' to. As long as the beat is good people will buy the cd even if all the artiste is saying is dem mama, kolomental, swagga and other nonsense. Bottomline, we enjoy mediocrity.

thank you
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by okeey(m): 5:55pm On Jan 16, 2010
bless u brother
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by parislomo(f): 6:58pm On Jan 16, 2010
I'm not all that into music, but ME thinks, BANKY W too is one of the few that takes time to make sense. Seen 2 of his videos that were also a notch different. Yeah, my baby JEREMIAH GYANG too. . . Hmmm. . .
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by muelzik(m): 8:47pm On Jan 16, 2010
I'm an upcoming artist. So glad you brought this issue up again. Hot tears strolls down my face each time I feel my next written lyrics won't do fine. It takes me time, serious times, to agree that i've written well enough. It kills my emotion whenever I discover one might not make it without some slant, composed, stolen or borrowed. So I give up. I give up just writting just like others. I do study online on how to write a better song, and at such, I feel it is wise to meet the opinions of people. I believe in good music, and want to belong to the few class of good lyricists and song writters. I need a manager, or a director who can make my best quite know and also promote himself/herself through me. Music Listeners' opinions are really welcomed. My contact address is muelzik@gmail.com. Any relevant advice and support would do. Mind you, i'm not after money yet.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by tbaba83(m): 9:37pm On Jan 16, 2010
not so big on naija muzik bt m.i lyrical content made meaning while being catchy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by An0nimus: 10:10pm On Jan 16, 2010
Sumone's song-->'i don tire to make sense,infact i wan yan nonsense'
u go blame them?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 16, 2010
almost al naija songs r empty dey cant even mit up wit d int'l songs.4 example wot d f**k is efrebor,efrebor u go wound o,or oko asewo,tongolo,ja tongolo.most of dem r mere sounds in d ears of other people outside naija dat hear it.dey sound more like noise or people screamin meaninlessly dan a song especially dat ridiculous song dey call lorile.however 2 out of 10 are makin improvement.but d naija music industry really nids urgent attention,both d lyrics n d words r base lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Princek12(m): 3:18am On Jan 17, 2010
you guys apparently don't know more about the music industry to come to such conclusion. An artist's primary goal is to make a hit record. That way the artist can please his superiors and execs in the record label. The American hip hop industry, just like the Nigerian hip hop industry, has witnessed the emergence of main stream artists like Gucci Mane, Soulja Boi, among others. In both industries, many mainstream artists are high school dropouts and don't generally write quality music. As a result of consumer taste, artists who painstakingly write good music have now been relegated to minority status.

With the global recession and increased environmental stress, the average music listener wants a song with a catchy beat and chorus while not particularly concerned with how good the song is written. In short, artists make songs in response to consumer demands; that is to say, many consumers do not particularly care about good written songs.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Freiburger(m): 11:49am On Jan 17, 2010
Cos most of these Guys got low IQs.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by mikeon11(m): 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2010
pop does not have to make sense anyway, it is about noise making. however, that does not mean one cannot improve in noise making. look guys, hiphop is all about hip and hop, it is about all the nasty clips and girls and sex and guys and money. that is what teenage music is all about.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Tobs70: 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2010
Most of the Nigerian songs lack good english, 1st to speak of. Then we all buy them thinking its the 'in thing', SAD
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Racheald1: 8:28pm On Jan 19, 2010
Abeg, song na song. As long as I fit dance to am. Go America go see the stupid lyrics wey all those stars dey write wey una all dey dance to. Naija still better jare
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by maxikid(m): 3:16pm On Jan 20, 2010
music music music,Naija got talents,but this days the dude with good lyrics and good beatz find it difficult to hit limelight,most times after these artiste realease their first hit ,all they cld do is do rubbish ,for sure no lyrics is new that doesnt mean they cant re-arrange the lyrics to create possitive impact.every body's saying same thing "swagger this swagger dat"money this money dat" abeg jare while the upcoming keep coming the starz keep storming, crazy music nfor crazy people , kool music for kool music , lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Uchelite(m): 12:01am On Feb 21, 2010
I thank d almighty God 4 people like Excetera, Tuface, Asa, African China, Prince Wadada,  Psquare and some few others i didnt mention.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Ignatio(m): 3:10am On Feb 25, 2010
They simply lack intelligence. Unfortunatly they are d ones with mo cash thus they they frequent studios n get steady plays.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 3:20am On Feb 25, 2010
because their audience keeps being satisfied with whatever they churn out.

No serious critiques.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by mamagee3(f): 3:21am On Feb 25, 2010
Cause they try to imitate the foreign musicians and go away from the God-given talent
given to them by God.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by tpiah: 4:46pm On Mar 01, 2010
laziness and a bigoted sense of importance which, once again, is a result of a fan base which doesnt know the difference between quantity and quality.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Fred87(m): 6:10pm On Mar 01, 2010
They now call themselves commercial artist.God will deliva our airwaves.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Prodigalangel(m): 5:13pm On Mar 16, 2010
Wat pains me da most, is dat da good ones aint even recognised, da literate consumers disappoints me alot cos they tend 2 be da ones enjoyin da songs da most, da mentality of common consumers contributes to emcees makin meaninless records/ if dey dont buy those garbage called songs. The musician will go back to da drawing board. Big ups 2 DARE, ASA,MODENINE, BANKY W. & everybody dat likes good music.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eedris Abdulkareem, A Super Lyricist And Rap Vet / Video: Skales & Sarz - My OGA At The TOP [freestyle] [download] / Twerking In Hijab - Muslim Girl Causes Outrage Online (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.