Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated (25686 Views)

..... Volvo xc90 the most Underrated SUV ever..... / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars.... / Most Underrated Car Brands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by tripoli007(m): 8:59am On May 24, 2017
Mazda koo malgma nii .. Anything that will make me decamp from Toyota Na Mercedes Benz straight .. I go drive car way be say ,u go climb 7 mountain and 7seas before u see the parts .. Toyota and Mercedes Benz rule the game
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by puffpuff: 9:00am On May 24, 2017
AutoElectNG:
1. Mazda is a smaller car company compared to Toyota and Honda. This means that Mazda does not have the deep pockets that Toyota and Honda have.

2. This led to a long-term collaboration between Mazda and Ford so that Mazda could leverage on the research and development financial and technical resources of Ford.

3. Ford forced Mazda to use certain engines and certain transmissions. This included the poorly designed and ill-fated CD4E transmission that come with the Mazda 626 automatic and the MX-6.

4. Around the late 1990s and the early 2000, this ill-fated transmission caused so many failures of Mazda 626 automatics and Mazda MX-6s that Mazda's image was terribly dented.

5. Affected vehicles included Mazda 626, Mazda Tribute and Mazda MX-6.

6. Other issues included transmission abuse by users who tried to exploit the zoom zoom that Mazda promised to the fullest.

7. Inadequate and ineffective cooling secondary cooling for a transmission with inadequate cooling ducts in the very first place. A race car has beefed up cooling and brakes amongst others, racing the Mazda to achieve the zoom zoom without beefing it up was a recipe for its failure in several instances, but the brand was blamed and not the users who erred.

8. Mazda focuses on cars built for performance/enthusiasts, Toyota focuses on budget and value (every Tom, Dick and Harry).

9. Market perception that Toyota's are more reliable and durable while Mazda's are more fun to drive, think of it as the poor man's performance brand, but Nigerians prefer reliable over and above fun to drive.

10. However, Mazda since 2013 is no longer the product of a collaboration between Mazda and Ford, but Mazda all alone, so Mazda can decide in its best interests and not because of the financial, legal and technical considerations due to its tie to Ford. Therefore a distinction needs to be made when judging Mazda between Mazda's pre-Ford, Mazda's with Ford and Mazda's post-Ford when analyzing the brand.

11. The disproportionate influence of so-called trusted mechanics on vehicle choice who may be more biased and less-educated than the general public who depend on them actually realize .

If you want specifics, I can back up all the above points.

What category is Mazda Protege( auto transmissio) falls? Pre ford ? ford ? or post ford? Do you have specific of the car? I'm on d verge of buying one. I got no knowledge of it beside d design
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by VivaDeAngelo(m): 9:01am On May 24, 2017
Alitair:
grin

My brother go to port harcourt especially rumuola and its environs, you would have no second thoughts about getting a mazda except you want to start transport business.

90% of the cars in Port Harcourt are Mazda. Especially the Taxis. Those Yoruba taxi boys love Mazda die.
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:11am On May 24, 2017
noeloge82:

I don't think he bought a good product
Mazda products a very good and d parts are very cheap compared to toyota and d likes

I have a Mazda 626 for 10yrs now I can tell u that the car is very economical maintainance wise and even fuel wise when compare to my Toyota corolla which is just 3yrs now
Mazda parts are not cheap. Don't spread rumours. Ordinary ckp sensor 10k on pre millennium Mazda. Joor be careful....
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:13am On May 24, 2017
tripoli007:
Mazda koo malgma nii .. Anything that will make me decamp from Toyota Na Mercedes Benz straight .. I go drive car way be say ,u go climb 7 mountain and 7seas before u see the parts .. Toyota and Mercedes Benz rule the game
Come Honda the power of dreams
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:14am On May 24, 2017
mrsirdam:
I currently drive a Mazda 6 Touring (2006) and i have had to replace the entire engine once (even though I've had it for less than 3 months because the pistons blew out on me on the highway. I've had 4 Toyotas (Cotollas and Camry) prior to this Mazda and none of them ever failed me (well except the Camry '07) which also had it's piston rings wearing out thereby burning oil but it never crashed unlike Mazda. Im defo going back to Toyotas after this one
Hondas have perfect engines
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Wamiwa: 9:14am On May 24, 2017
LastProphet:
mazda has the same issue as nissan, they make very good looking cars but the high end ones are not durable at all. if u want to enjoy mazda dont buy anything with auto transmission, V6, etc, buy the simple ones like 323 and you are fine. If u buy any high end mazda u will change the gear box more times than u ever think possible

Bros Nissan is still better, been using one Nissan primera since 2012 - date its still serving me. no major work done on it apart from changing tyres, shaft and absorbers, infact with the way I travel, I service the car twice a year every 6 months grin if I want to change brand now its either I maintain Nissan or Toyota.
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:15am On May 24, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

We are talking of modern day cars, not monuments grin

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by AutoElectNG: 9:19am On May 24, 2017
puffpuff:

What category is Mazda Protege( auto transmissio) falls? Pre ford ? ford ? or post ford? Do you have specific of the car? I'm on d verge of buying one. I got no knowledge of it beside d design

Which model year are you looking at?

By the way, from the Forth Generation to the Eighth generation, Ford had input in the Protege and make look a like models.

If you can narrow down the year, I can provide specific guidelines/advise.
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:19am On May 24, 2017
Olushauneddy:
In dis part of d world I live, 90% of d cars with pulled tyres - broken suspension on d roads are HONDA.
Bro buy original Honda Parts....stop patronising substandard parts.... Because Honda doesn't forgive patch patch works

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by segemafia(m): 9:20am On May 24, 2017
Nice analysis...This is how educated people should relay their points i.e backing it up with facts and points that can be verified and not just talk for talking sake which is the regular way most Semi literates do.

There is no way anyone can give a perfect review on a product if they never owned or used one,its really myopic for any so called engineer or mechanic to give funny reviews based on some vehicles brought to their workshops that could have been messed up by the poor maintenance habits of the owner or what have you.

In summary there are lots of good cars out there,but the only problem are the bad owners and incompetent Mechanics that lack the technical know how to handle them and they just simply tag the vehicles ' Problematic '...Mazda,Mitsubishi,Volvos,Volkswagen etc. are majorly the brands that falls within this category,these are very great cars that are durable,reliable and hardly get stolen,their parts are also readily available everywhere either the OEMs or the other lesser qualities depending on your pocket.

Buying a car is a serious decision therefore,people should endeavor to do their personal research or even conduct surveys before making a final purchasing decision rather than relying singularly on opinions of their Mechanics that are mostly flawed and driven by their personal gains at the end of the day.

AutoElectNG:
1. Mazda is a smaller car company compared to Toyota and Honda. This means that Mazda does not have the deep pockets that Toyota and Honda have.

2. This led to a long-term collaboration between Mazda and Ford so that Mazda could leverage on the research and development financial and technical resources of Ford.

3. Ford forced Mazda to use certain engines and certain transmissions. This included the poorly designed and ill-fated CD4E transmission that come with the Mazda 626 automatic and the MX-6.

4. Around the late 1990s and the early 2000, this ill-fated transmission caused so many failures of Mazda 626 automatics and Mazda MX-6s that Mazda's image was terribly dented.

5. Affected vehicles included Mazda 626, Mazda Tribute and Mazda MX-6.

6. Other issues included transmission abuse by users who tried to exploit the zoom zoom that Mazda promised to the fullest.

7. Inadequate and ineffective cooling secondary cooling for a transmission with inadequate cooling ducts in the very first place. A race car has beefed up cooling and brakes amongst others, racing the Mazda to achieve the zoom zoom without beefing it up was a recipe for its failure in several instances, but the brand was blamed and not the users who erred.

8. Mazda focuses on cars built for performance/enthusiasts, Toyota focuses on budget and value (every Tom, Dick and Harry).

9. Market perception that Toyota's are more reliable and durable while Mazda's are more fun to drive, think of it as the poor man's performance brand, but Nigerians prefer reliable over and above fun to drive.

10. However, Mazda since 2013 is no longer the product of a collaboration between Mazda and Ford, but Mazda all alone, so Mazda can decide in its best interests and not because of the financial, legal and technical considerations due to its tie to Ford. Therefore a distinction needs to be made when judging Mazda between Mazda's pre-Ford, Mazda's with Ford and Mazda's post-Ford when analyzing the brand.

11. The disproportionate influence of so-called trusted mechanics on vehicle choice who may be more biased and less-educated than the general public who depend on them actually realize .

If you want specifics, I can back up all the above points.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Shadeolad(f): 9:21am On May 24, 2017
Kobicove:
Generally speaking Nigerians don't like one-in-town cars whose spare parts are difficult to source except if they have a lot of money to 'burn' grin

My Mazda MPV is bae. 4years and still going strong

1 Like

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by HAH: 9:23am On May 24, 2017
My wife owns a a Mazda 5 family car for the past almost 4 years, the only thing she does is normal servicing regularly. In fact due to how she used it she is now thinking of upgrading to Mazda CX7

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:23am On May 24, 2017
Mazda the best......

1 Like

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Nobody: 9:25am On May 24, 2017
Shadeolad:

My Mazda MPV is bae. 4years and still going strong
Just the name alone is making my heart skip beats.... God forbid bad thing.
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by agarawu23(m): 9:31am On May 24, 2017
Pavore9:
My father had one, way back in the 80's......Mazda 323. That vehicle was low maintenance.
I own a Mazda 323 hashback and I ain't regretting using it.

The car strong die for Jacky work grin
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by agarawu23(m): 9:35am On May 24, 2017
maxiuc:
Mazda is inferior

All this their new model are nothing but plastic

So inferior

My neighbor bought a clean Mazda under 1yr come nd see the car even though he doesn't drive it regular

Their inferiority complex in this modern days Mazda
he bought a scrap...... Or he isn't maintaining it well.
Go and ask all these smugllers in ceme and idiroko Axis why they prefer Mazda and vento (volks) to transport goods from Benin republic.

Nigerians don't like to try new thing, they prefer to follow *trend*

#teamMazda grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by agarawu23(m): 9:38am On May 24, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Fragile engine. Scarce suspension parts.

you lie sir.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by AutoElectNG: 9:38am On May 24, 2017
Tinyemeka:

Thanks for the analysis.

What's your opinion on the reliability of '05 Mazda MPV compared to Toyota Highlander '03 model please?

I will be back with and informed analysis... might take some time.

But I like to do a thorough job of providing professional advice.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by slodot2000: 9:45am On May 24, 2017
This is complete mercedes design. Why mazda?
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Originalsly: 9:48am On May 24, 2017
hayjayman:
Mazda for life anywhere I dey...Toyota and Honda are over hyped in this part of the world....you will get to some more developed countries, and you will ask yourself if toyota and Honda ever existed at all.only in africa.....my Mazda 626 has never left me stranded on rhe Road where I see bonnets of Honda and Toyota almost in every traffic of lagos...
Toyota has been the #1 seller worldwide for years... why? In which country Mazda is anywhere close to being as popular as Toyota? Mazda has been trying quite a few years ago to make a comeback..... maybe making better cars than Honda in particular which has been losing its reputation especially due to failing transmission. But in these times it has to compete even with Hyundai which is already making a name for itself. If Mazda has made their spare parts now widely and easily available as Toyota I have no idea... but that can affect sales.
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by freddymanny49: 9:50am On May 24, 2017
ntyce:
Isn't Mazda a Japanese product?
Its a Russian product.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Acidosis(m): 10:01am On May 24, 2017
Reference:

Not offering anything but sir you don't own one, accuse Nigerians of being 'highly judgemental, relying on public opinion', then read what you wrote after that..... my oh my. How did you arrive 'when you DON'T OWN ONE..... the same public opinion. C'mon man.

I don't need to own one to know. My dad has used 3 different models of Mazda. The second has long been abandoned without any fault after 7 years of regularly use. The car simply refuse to stop working. He has only one mechanic in town, and the only thing he does is timely servicing and other related minor tasks.

A lot of people have been misled by Mechanics. Someone said 90% of cars in P/H are Mazda products. As of the period my dad got his first Mazda car, over 85% of cars in Ilorin were Mazda products.

Time has changed and everyone is after the big names, popularity contests, etc., plus car dealers are mainly interested in what people wants. Mechanics, like other business men, are interested in business, anything that will make you repair your car regularly.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by fxdee(m): 10:11am On May 24, 2017
hayjayman:
Mazda for life anywhere I dey...Toyota and Honda are over hyped in this part of the world....you will get to some more developed countries, and you will ask yourself if toyota and Honda ever existed at all.only in africa.....my Mazda 626 has never left me stranded on rhe Road where I see bonnets of Honda and Toyota almost in every traffic of lagos...
My mazda 626 i bought 10 yrs ago never disappoint me especially for long distance travelling compare to my other cars. What i know about the car is it doesnt make u look big but its performance is good,low cost of maintenance,fuel consuption,almost every mechanics can work on it,parts are very cheap .infact i find it very difficult to sell the car after i sold about 5 cars i bought after it...Nigerians like something that will make them fill big maybe that s the reason for toyota and honda even they are very good brand too but the price different is unnecessary too high which will make me to go for Mazda.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by hayjayman(m): 10:22am On May 24, 2017
fxdee:
My mazda 626 i bought 10 yrs ago never disappoint me especially for long distance travelling compare to my other cars. What i know about the car is it doesnt make u look big but its performance is good,low cost of maintenance,fuel consuption,almost every mechanics can work on it,parts are very cheap .infact i find it very difficult to sell the car after i sold about 5 cars i bought after it...Nigerians like something that will make them fill big maybe that s the reason for toyota and honda even they are very good brand too but the price different is unnecessary too high which will make me to go for Mazda.
PERFECT!!!!!! wink wink
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by hayjayman(m): 10:28am On May 24, 2017
agarawu23:
you lie sir.

Seconded

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by tendercruise1: 10:30am On May 24, 2017
I am using my Mazda 626 for 10yrs now I have just make order for cx9 have you found out why Mazda makes engine for Kai they are the best I was contemplating selling my Mazda 626 and someone still wanna buy at 350k after 10 years of use Mazda better pass joor
Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by AutoJoshNG: 10:31am On May 24, 2017
Mazda was one hell of an amazing brand. I remember setting my top speed record in a 1991 Mazda 626 on Third Mainland Bridge. Our Toyota Camrys could not live up to the performance and reliability of the 626.

I guess Ford happened to Mazda. Ford invested in Mazda in the 70s and they took control of the company in 1996... because Mazda did not have the financial strength for research and development as well as production of some parts that were needed in limited quantity.

Mazda brands became more problematic and probably too techy for our auto technicians at the time.. Most of the people that bought one against my advise, got their fingers burnt. A former colleague had to sell her Mazda tribute 3 months after buying it. My neighbour didn't use their Mazda MPV for more than 6 months before it became grounded. Several 626 and Millenias as well. Most of the Mazda 323 taxis in Port Harcourt are mostly built by Mazda and Ford even pitched some of their parts for their Ford Focus and other brands.

Finally, Mazda is back to wow us once again. They took back control of their company is 2015, hence, we expect them to regain their lost glory. They have also partnered with Toyota in order to build more reliable car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Mazda Cars Underrated by Noble11(m): 10:35am On May 24, 2017
Nigerians buy cars with people's opinion and recommendations..
My first car was Mazda 626 lift back,that was in 2005,I gave it out to one yoruba man which happens to be the father of my mechanic,that car never gave me problem till date that man is still using it for taxi in ajao estate.
My second car was BMW m3 series sport . I was told not to buy that car,that it's very expensive to maintain and it consumes fuel.But when I was moving back from lagos to onitsha I filled my tank(55lits) which took me to asaba before refilling my tank.The spare parts are available in ngbuka obosi very cheap..
My next car whenever I come back to Nigeria will be either BMW or Mercedes-Benz..I only gave that car out coz I don't like front wheel drive..
Love a car buy the car..don't buy coz some says it last longer.. It's all about maintenance

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Survived An Accident Today (pics) / Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? / 11 Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know About Car's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.