Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,347 members, 7,826,363 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism (4083 Views)

EXTREMISM: Christian Couple Killed For 'desecrating Koran' In pakistan / Things Muslim Communities Can Do To Curb Extremism / 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Aishabee(f): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2010
Masjids must be vigilant about extremist rhetoric and behavior this year and be at the forefront of stopping them.

We are living in a very difficult time for Muslims in America. Saving our lives and the lives of our neighbors is a sacred duty. We are proud of the parents of the Virginia five, the Minneapolis eight and the Nigerian father who reported their sons’ descent into extremism to authorities in 2008 and 2009.

If a person spouting extremist ideas in your Masjid is not dangerous, you need to immediately counsel him for moderation. But please adopt a zero tolerance policy for any type of extremism in your Islamic center or organization.

Almost all Muslims are concerned about wars and would like to see peace, but no one should allow his or her anger to take the law into their own hands. So listening well within our communities is crucial for all Imams and Muslim leaders.

Ask your board to adopt a formal zero tolerance policy towards extremist talk in the Masjid.

In addition, encourage your mosque’s Imam to give Khutbas to encourage the civic participation of our community members. We can oppose wars by joining peace and justice groups that focus on changing the policies of our nation. This encouragement can channel legitimate anger at injustice into positive action, instead of frustrated community members lashing out in extremism and violence.

Extract from Sound Vision

7 Likes

Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 15, 2010
Timely advice
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by RickTurnip: 12:58pm On Feb 07, 2013
Steps on the road. Many Muslims imagine themselves to be Mohammad conquering Arabia at the head of an Army, but this was a very small part of his struggle. Ten years of his time as a Prophet was spent being ridiculed in Mecca. Most Muslims do not like to imagine themselves as that Mohammad. Muslims want to be the violent, powerful, vengeful Mohammad but they don't want to work towards it and they don't want to imagine that Mohammad was ever tolerant.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 4:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rick Turnip: Steps on the road. Many Muslims imagine themselves to be Mohammad conquering Arabia at the head of an Army, but this was a very small part of his struggle. Ten years of his time as a Prophet was spent being ridiculed in Mecca. Most Muslims do not like to imagine themselves as that Mohammad. Muslims want to be the violent, powerful, vengeful Mohammad but they don't want to work towards it and they don't want to imagine that Mohammad was ever tolerant.

You seem to know the minds of Muslims
How many of them do you really know very well? 200, 1000?
What is the geographical distribution of the muslims you know? Nigerians, Ghanians, Americans?

I am sure that your sample size is very very small
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 4:50pm On Feb 07, 2013
@OP

Excellent advice
The failure of the senseless, but unfortunately costly and deadly, campaigns of BH, Ansar Dine, OBL should be pointers to the fact that
Islam is practised by knowledge, not emotion
I am tired of people who are even more violent than the average muslim accusing us of wishing to massacre people
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by olawalebabs(m): 10:03am On Feb 15, 2013
I hope those that needs it get to read this and make use of it. Good one, OP
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
WORDS ON THE MARBLE

Rick Turnip: Steps on the road. Many Muslims imagine themselves to be Mohammad conquering Arabia at the head of an Army, but this was a very small part of his struggle. Ten years of his time as a Prophet was spent being ridiculed in Mecca. Most Muslims do not like to imagine themselves as that Mohammad. Muslims want to be the violent, powerful, vengeful Mohammad but they don't want to work towards it and they don't want to imagine that Mohammad was ever tolerant.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Ganys: 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
Jazakumullahu Khairan cool cool cool
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BlueMurder(m): 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
Extremism is unislamic. If you kill a certain Mr. A because Mr. B killed Mr. C, how are going to defend that action before Allah on the Day of Reckoning?
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by playahP(m): 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
These moderators self... Tufiakwa!!
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Slickest(m): 2:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
I hope those that sees extremism as a way of pleasin Allah(SWT)have a change of thought.tanx op 4 diz 1.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by dederocs(m): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
timely advice,it is commendable of you to tow this line,i hope you do your part in your mosque and community to spread these words of the need for peace.for the sake of peace for all.no man has the monopoly of violence-it is imperative we respect people's right to live and never ever terminate any human life on the basis of your religion.your religion is yours,killing another man is evil,and killers should be killed.if we choose to sow evil and spread terror,then we are opening our families and communities for terror and deaths.silence must not be mistaken for cowardice,all Muslims must tow this steps of good reason and talk to the illiterate ones who are easily carried away or manipulated by sinister persons in religious clothings and attire.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by sweetgala(m): 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2013
This sacred message needs to be preached to all men and women of all religions creeds race and social status. As a poster put it " if you kill Mr B to avenge the murder of Mr C how do you make account of that before your maker on the day of reckoning" .
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by vanstanzy(m): 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam. "I hear u!"

Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by DANILSA(m): 2:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
This is were the issue of moderate Islamist and extremist comes to play. Also is the issue of 21 century Islamist And 8century muslims. Hope hausa muslims will read ur post and learn from yorubas.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BlueMurder(m): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
DANILSA: This is were the issue of moderate Islamist and extremist comes to play. Also is the issue of 21 century Islamist And 8century muslims. Hope hausa muslims will read ur post and learn from yorubas.

Your stereotyping is very insensitive and irritating!
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by vanstanzy(m): 2:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
DANILSA: This is were the issue of moderate Islamist and extremist comes to play. Also is the issue of 21 century Islamist And 8century muslims. Hope hausa muslims will read ur post and learn from yorubas.

GBAM!!!
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by Anvaller: 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
Aishabee: Masjids must be vigilant about extremist rhetoric and behavior this year and be at the forefront of stopping them.

We are living in a very difficult time for Muslims in America. Saving our lives and the lives of our neighbors is a sacred duty. We are proud of the parents of the Virginia five, the Minneapolis eight and the Nigerian father who reported their sons’ descent into extremism to authorities in 2008 and 2009.

If a person spouting extremist ideas in your Masjid is not dangerous, you need to immediately counsel him for moderation. But please adopt a zero tolerance policy for any type of extremism in your Islamic center or organization.

Almost all Muslims are concerned about wars and would like to see peace, but no one should allow his or her anger to take the law into their own hands. So listening well within our communities is crucial for all Imams and Muslim leaders.

Ask your board to adopt a formal zero tolerance policy towards extremist talk in the Masjid.

In addition, encourage your mosque’s Imam to give Khutbas to encourage the civic participation of our community members. We can oppose wars by joining peace and justice groups that focus on changing the policies of our nation. This encouragement can channel legitimate anger at injustice into positive action, instead of frustrated community members lashing out in extremism and violence.

Extract from Sound Vision

Thanks for posting, I hope ppl will listen and we should start asking ourselves, "Am I an extremist muslim or just a true peaceful muslim" Lets unite against extremism.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by MadCow1: 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2013
Quietly Observing thread......... angry
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by creativemusic: 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by wazobiaforu(m): 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
Throughout history, people have perpetrated extreme violent acts in the name of religion – whether it be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism or another faith. A complex series of psychological, political, historical and theological factors combine to trigger such behaviour. 

There is no how someone can be extremist in anything in life that will not critically affect people arround, most expecially religion extremist

I SAY NO TO ALL RELIGION EXTREMIST
NIGERIA SAY NO TO RELIGION EXTREMIST

Do your religion peaceful and allow others to do their own

Quran:109
I worship not that which you worship -
Nor will you worship that which I worship-And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping.-Nor will you worship that which I worship - To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islamic Monotheism).

Too much of everything (extremist) is bad

1 Like

Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2013

Hausas don't need to learn from Yorubas
And Yorubas don't need to learn from Hausas
Both need to learn about proper Islamic principles. That is the solution
Nobody can just declare armed jihad in Nigeria of today. The conditions for that are not present.
And for those who want Islamic state (in an environment where it is not feasible (eg secular society), like a scholar said, establish first the Islamic state in your own mind
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by deols(f): 5:42pm On Feb 21, 2013

there is nothing like hausa or yoruba muslim. Muslims are one
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by kadree(m): 6:05pm On Feb 21, 2013
When u ask dos pple who prefers killing and bombimg spree of how much of alms av dey given to d poor?their look reminds u of a clear defination of slowpoke.
May Allah protect us from extremist as dey are no respecter of religion or tribe.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by kadree(m): 6:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
When u ask dos pple who prefers killing and bombimg spree of how much of alms av dey given to d poor?their look reminds u of a clear defination of a slowpoke.
May Allah protect us from extremist as dey are no respecter of religion or tribe.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by IleIfe2(m): 6:14pm On Feb 21, 2013
You are finally awake, you've been sleeping for a very long, it's already 2013. you can spread the message to the brothers in Birmingham, they need it. tongue tongue
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 1:01am On Feb 22, 2013
Ile-Ife:
You are finally awake, you've been sleeping for a very long, it's already 2013. you can spread the message to the brothers in Birmingham, they need it. tongue tongue

2 years ago actually a similar first call was made. It was a lengthy post. Let me extract from it

https://www.nairaland.com/576809/nigerian-muslims-lets-wake-up
auwal87:
It is with dismay how this so called "Boko Haram" sects are playing in this country, their ideology is totally UN-ISLAMIC, I have listened to at least 5 Boko Haram members (or those with the same ideology) but argued that it isn't an excuse to fight Jihad in a place where your freedom is not violated (at least of free speech, movement, business, and religion) no where in Nigeria you will not practice any religion, whatever religion you are you can practice. Women can cover their whole body without any question? Men can marry up to 4 wives without any question.

Islam is a religion of peace in the fullest sense of the word.

PEACE TO YOU ALL!!!
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by TCD: 2:17am On Feb 22, 2013
Started three years ago and Even while on the FP this thread is dead like a ghost.

Where are the Nairaland muslims to come and denounce terrorism and murder in the name of Allah? Innocent women and children are dying daily and it doesn't bother them. Is islam not a religion of peace anymore?

You will not see Maclatunji , vedaxcool and co on this type of threads. But let one Sam Okitikupa realease a crappy movie on how mohammed wiped his face with weed Then they all will suddenly appear speaking plenty useless grammar.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 2:25am On Feb 22, 2013
TCD: Started three years ago and Even while on the FP this thread is dead like a ghost.

Where are the Nairaland muslims to come and denounce terrorism and murder in the name of Allah? Innocent women and children are dying daily and it doesn't bother them. Is islam not a religion of peace anymore?

You will not see Maclatunji , vedaxcool and co on this type of threads. But let one Sam Okitikupa realease a crappy movie on how ......Then they all will suddenly appear speaking plenty useless grammar.

Read this. That was 2 years ago

And BTW do you know what time it is in Nigeria?
we did not see you there incidentally
The other post you commented on was made so active mostly by non-muslims who are also doing their bit here

And you don't have to be abusive to make your point
We don't abuse your pastors

Incidentally your CAN that has always indirectly spoken about freedom of speech recently said (and rightly so BTW) that they would not allow Jesus (AS)to be abused
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by TCD: 7:47am On Feb 22, 2013
BetaThings:

Read this. That was 2 years ago

And BTW do you know what time it is in Nigeria?
we did not see you there incidentally
The other post you commented on was made so active mostly by non-muslims who are also doing their bit here

And you don't have to be abusive to make your point
We don't abuse your pastors

Incidentally your CAN that has always indirectly spoken about freedom of speech recently said (and rightly so BTW) that they would not allow Jesus (AS)to be abused
How typical. What makes you think I'm Christian? If I tell you I'm muslim what would be your excuse?

Hope the abuse comment wasn't directed at me. Coz I fail to see where I abused anyone, not my style.

How grande, two years ago? Why don't you dig up another from 220 years ago. Wow, because terrorism in the name of Islam ended two years ago. So why bother.

As at last night, islamic terrorists are still wreaking havoc allover the world. One would expect cries against extremism each time such incidents occurred the same way our resident Nairaland Muslim cry babies wail without fail each time a cartoon or wacky movie is made about Mohammed. They never fail to come and give us the same old "condemnations".

But boko haram, Al quaeda and the likes are murdering thousands in the name of Allah daily. They only send one muslim to preach about it Once every two years.

All well and good If killing innocent people really "UN-islamic" why aren't you people shouting it at the top of your voices against those who are tarnishing the name of islam?

When you guys are serious about ending terrorism please let us know. Not this charade being put up. We are tired of being blown up in the name of Allah and muslims keeping silent about it. Islam is fast constituiting itself as a nuisance to mankind, you guys better sit up else one day, one day, Monkey go go market, and e no go return.
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by BetaThings: 1:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
TCD:
How typical. What makes you think I'm Christian? If I tell you I'm muslim what would be your excuse?

I will not believe you. If I believed you I would suggest that you moderate your tone.

TCD:
Hope the abuse comment wasn't directed at me. Coz I fail to see where I abused anyone, not my style.
It was. Read what you wrote.

TCD:
How grande, two years ago? Why don't you dig up another from 220 years ago. Wow, because terrorism in the name of Islam ended two years ago. So why bother.

As at last night, islamic terrorists are still wreaking havoc allover the world. One would expect cries against extremism each time such incidents occurred the same way our resident Nairaland Muslim cry babies wail without fail each time a cartoon or wacky movie is made about Mohammed. They never fail to come and give us the same old "condemnations".

But boko haram, Al quaeda and the likes are murdering thousands in the name of Allah daily. They only send one muslim to preach about it Once every two years.

All well and good If killing innocent people really "UN-islamic" why aren't you people shouting it at the top of your voices against those who are tarnishing the name of islam?

When you guys are serious about ending terrorism please let us know. Not this charade being put up. We are tired of being blown up in the name of Allah and muslims keeping silent about it. Islam is fast constituiting itself as a nuisance to mankind, you guys better sit up else one day, one day, Monkey go go market, and e no go return.

It is clear that Nothing we do or say will satisfy you. Your warning is noted but it is very far off.
Have a pleasant day!
Re: Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism by TCD: 7:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
BetaThings:

I will not believe you. If I believed you I would suggest that you moderate your tone.

It was. Read what you wrote.

It is clear that Nothing we do or say will satisfy you. Your warning is noted but it is very far off.
Have a pleasant day!

Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. Islam isn't your fathers property no offense. I have a right even as a muslim to voice out against anything I perceive as wrong.

Remind me again, what's your excuse? Is it still 2am in Nigeria? Maybe all muslims are in a coma. How many days on the front page plus 3 years and this thread is yet to cross first page.

Oh yea, Muslims are really bothered about extremism. Next please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa / Y Do Wahhabi Muslims View Shia Muslims And Other Muslims As Being False / Happy New Year 1430

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.