Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,823 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:15 AM

GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard (2056 Views)

Throwback: Gambari Asks Buhari To Implement 2014 National Conference Report / N500b COVID-19 Fund: Senate Bars Journalists From Nat. Assembly(Photos) / How To Calculate Your New Salary After The Implementation of New minimum wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by ourema(f): 10:12am On May 25, 2017
PORT HAR-COURT— FORMER President Goodluck Jonathan has urged the Federal Government to implement the recommendations of his national conference conducted in 2014, stressing that it has the capacity to resolve several issues at the root of the problem plaguing the country.
Jonathan spoke, yesterday, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, at the Golden Jubilee lecture to mark the 50th anniversary of the state, saying that the recommendations of the conference emanated from consensus by the various nationalities that participated.
The former president, who got an ovation when he arrived the Obi Wali venue of the lecture, expressed confidence in fiscal federalism as an enduring solution to some key challenges facing the country, adding that it would provide opportunity for all sections of the country to develop where they have comparative advantages.
His words: “One of the reasons I insisted on the National Conference, the guest lecturer (Prof Godini Darah), made reference to was the interest of Nigerians. Yes, in many areas as a nation, we are doing well. But, there are still other areas that agitate the minds of our people and as a government, you need to address them.
“I remember in August 2013, Professor Ben Nwabueze led the patriots and met me, and one of the issues they raised was the National Conference. Others schemed for other conferences, but I insisted on the National Conference that would look at these gray areas that affect our people, those areas that retard our development and fine tune it for the good of our children and grandchildren.
“I always believe that when you are in government, when you are making laws, or coming up with policies, don’t consider your position because that your position is very temporal.
“I was quite pleased with the outcome of the conference. There was nothing like voting. Every decision was by consensus. And I believe sincerely, that if government is able to implement most of those recommendations, some of the things that agitate our minds today, some of the social issues we have, including insecurity and otherwise, would be addressed.”
Jonathan also said that the interventionists agencies had not made much impact in the region in the same way direct payment of 13 percent allocation to oil states had done because of what he called the problem of tenureship which he said had become political.
According to him, the tenureship of these boards in many cases were not protected, so when members assumed office instead of completing existing ongoing projects, they focused on awarding fresh ones, a situation he said accounted for several abandoned projects in the region.
“If we look at Federal Government supporting oil-producing areas, if you really sit down and calculate, a lot of funds have actually come into the Niger Delta area. But, we don’t see corresponding infrastructural development.
“And when you compare the 13 percent derivation that just started in 1999 or 2000, that the National Assembly now approved, you see that the development that can be in Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Delta and other states, is not compared to when it was issue of intervention agencies that were to manage funds.
“The key thing is that intervention agencies are too political; the tenures of appointees are not protected. Every new government including mine, would set up a different team. When it comes, instead of completing existing projects, they award new projects.”
At the end, you see many uncompleted projects littered in Niger Delta and you cannot quantify the money.
“But, the 13 percent come directly to the states, being managed by the governor elected by the people with the approval of the state House of Assembly to have oversight functions. I have seen greater utilization of that money than the intervention agency.”
While hailing Governor Nyesom Wike for his success so far, the former President said every part of the country had something to offer to the growth of the nation, stressing that with fiscal federalism, they would all be encouraged to give their quota.
“That is one of the reasons I think that fiscal federalism if properly done in a nation like Nigeria, will encourage every part of this country to generate income. I believe every part of Nigeria is viable. The only thing is that, in Nigeria, the local government chairman sits in the office, waits for allocation, distributes and goes asleep and waits for the next month.”
Also national Caretaker Committee Chairman, of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Senator Ahmed Makarfi in his remark said only the party could lead Nigeria out of her many problems.
He said: “In PDP, we believe that our federation needs to be fixed . We will ensure reforms in a manner that every federating unit will know that they will not be abandoned.”
Meanwhile, Ggovernor Wike has reaffirmed his loyalty to the Senator Markafi led faction of the party, noting that only the party had the solution to the nation’s problems.
Wike spoke on Tuesday night in Port Harcourt during the presentation of an anniversary play, the ‘Concubine.”
He said, “The PDP is the only political party that can bring Nigeria out of its quagmire. Nobody can intimidate us. No amount of machine guns can change us. When we take a position, we stand by it?
“I am supporting Makarfi led PDP National Caretaker Committee totally because they mean well for the party,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/jonathan-urges-implementation-natl-confab-recommendations/

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:13am On May 25, 2017
Useless Man, why didn't you implement it?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Mophasa(m): 10:14am On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
Useless Man, why didn't he implement it?

Stfu, the northerners were sternly against the confab recommendations and even up till now they are still kicking against restructuring, and since GEJ was seeking for reelection then, he had to suspend it till after the elections, it was part of his second term projects

Unfortunately your dullard vegetable rigged him out

I wonder why only illiterates and dull brains work in the bmc sad

Just yesterday, a senior staff of bmc said creation of email address is now an achievement by a federal government..wtf cry

By the way where is Buhari

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by ourema(f): 10:19am On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
If he had implemented it you would not still like him more. So what is the difference?
Already the north had rejected it earlier along with APC then.
Restructuring is the way to go in Nigeria or something else

10 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by realborn(m): 10:26am On May 25, 2017
I was quite disappointed at GEJ for not making any efforts prior to his exit, to implement the recommendations of the 2014 National Conference.

That is presently belated.

Government is a continuum, there is absolutely no reason why Buhari's administration should not revisit the recommendations.

The scorecard is still very low for Buhari's administration with all the prevailing economic metrics.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by seunmsg(m): 10:32am On May 25, 2017
ourema:

[s]If he had implemented it you would not still like him more. So what is the difference?
Restructuring is the way to go in Nigeria or something else[/s]

Jonathan should shut up and stop talking nonsense. If he lacks the political will to implement the report of a conference he constituted, then he should spare us the insult of calling on others to do what he cannot do. The confab report was submitted to him in mid 2014 but and he did nothing with it. Instead of implementing it, he used it to campaign in the south west in 2015. In addition to being an ineffectual buffoon, he is also a very shameless political rogue.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:49am On May 25, 2017
[s]
Mophasa:

Stfu, the northerners were sternly against and since he was seeking for reelection he had to suspend it till after the elections, it was part of his second term project.

Unfortunately your dullard vegetable rigged him out

I wonder why only illiterates and dull brains work in the bmc sad

Just yesterday, a senior staff of bmc said creation of email address is now an achievement by a federal government..wtf cry

By the way where is Buhari
[/s]

Ipob yoot's incoherent rants bore me!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Mophasa(m): 10:49am On May 25, 2017
seunmsg:

Jonathan should shut up and stop talking nonsense. If he lacks the political will to implement the report of a conference he constituted, then he should spare us the insult of calling on others to do what he cannot do. The confab report was submitted to him in mid 2014 but and he did nothing with it. Instead of implementing it, he used it to campaign in the south west in 2015. In addition to being an ineffectual buffoon, he is also a very shameless political rogue.

And where is the ineffectual vegetable?

At least we can still hear from GEj, while the vegetable has not only been missing but also incommunicado sad

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Mophasa(m): 10:56am On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Anyone trying to cure you of your gross and monumental ignorance is now an ipob

Continue been a zombie cuz your case has gone beyond redemption cry

7 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by GrandGarcon: 11:41am On May 25, 2017
Now you will understand why APC people are very S.TUPID! TGE QUESTION IS, IS IT THE PRESIDENT OR THE NASS THAT WILL IMPLEMENT THE CONFAB? The CONFAB is called 2014 CONFAB, and there was 2015 election which he was rigged out, so how do these M.orons expect GEJ to implement the CONFAB? Everything was planned to kick off earnestly in 2015 or early 2016 but it did not happen because of Buhari, I am not a GEJ fan, I am only interested in the well being of me and my people and any where that wellbeing will come from is not a problem to me. I can remember on this site back in 2014 when I thought Afonjas have accepted reach change that was beneficial for all us, I even canvassed that we Igbos should join forces with them to effect the change by standing against the northern hegemony, some Igbos warned me never to repeat such a thing, that Afonjas cannot be btrusted, but I ignored them, it was after the elections I realised they were right afterall, these people ALWAYS speak from both sides of their mouths.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by GrandGarcon: 11:42am On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

This wisdom of God is foolishness to mortal men.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 11:58am On May 25, 2017
Oga GEJ,dont take us for fools.
U used our national funds to organise dat conference n a final document was submitted to u in 2014.
You did absolutely nothing to implement even one item in the final draft.
Now u want somebody to do what u were spineless to do.
Take time.
I NO WAN VEX!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 12:02pm On May 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Now you will understand why APC people are very S.TUPID! TGE QUESTION IS, IS IT THE PRESIDENT OR THE NASS THAT WILL IMPLEMENT THE CONFAB? The CONFAB is called 2014 CONFAB, and there was 2015 election which he was rigged out, so how do these M.orons expect GEJ to implement the CONFAB? Everything was planned to kick off earnestly in 2015 or early 2016 but it did not happen because of Buhari, I am not a GEJ fan, I am only interested in the well being of me and my people and any where that wellbeing will come from is not a problem to me. I can remember on this site back in 2014 when I thought Afonjas have accepted reach change that was beneficial for all us, I even canvassed that we Igbos should join forces with them to effect the change by standing against the northern hegemony, some Igbos warned me never to repeat such a thing, that Afonjas cannot be btrusted, but I ignored them, it was after the elections I realised they were right afterall, these people ALWAYS speak from both sides of their mouths.
GEJ was rigged out? a sitting president?
what planet ve u been living in?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by GrandGarcon: 12:03pm On May 25, 2017
Okoroawusa:
GEJ was rigged out? a sitting president? what planet ve u been living in?
I have bee living on planet EARTH.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by koropotopoto: 12:06pm On May 25, 2017
[s]
NgeneUkwenu:
[/s]
Buhari is a terrorist vagabond
oops an old vegetable rotten incompetent hag

kiss the truth

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 12:06pm On May 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
I have bee living on planet EARTH.
just read dat thing u wrote.does it make sense?
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by GrandGarcon: 12:16pm On May 25, 2017
Okoroawusa:

Go and buy the book Mastering English and read, also, don't forget to ask your English teachers for a refund.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by PatriotTemidayo: 12:22pm On May 25, 2017
They keep dodging the bullet but when the centre soul no longer hold, nobody would preach to them to implement it.

Every region must develop at its own pace and willingness.

How can I be backward just because someone from the northern corner of Nigerian refuse to move forward.

The rest of the country have showed strong willingness to develop but those who would rather manufacturer children and throw them out on the street to beg and cause riots would not let them?

E don do.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by mars123(m): 12:24pm On May 25, 2017
If GEJ was serious then about the national conference, he would have been able to implement parts of it by Dec 2015 but F9 is F9, no silver lining a failed subject.

One advice i have for our semi-literate president Buhari too is that bigotry, nepotism, incompetence and unqualified appointments should have no place in the development of 21st century Nigeria. 2019 is too far.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by leofab(f): 1:36pm On May 25, 2017
When an intelligent talks

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Babacele: 2:12pm On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
e tire me o. The buffoon never cease to amuse all reasonable persons with his mumuness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Babacele: 2:43pm On May 25, 2017
ourema:

If he had implemented it you would not still like him more. So what is the difference?
Restructuring is the way to go in Nigeria or something else
so why didnt he restructure the country when he was the president ? why didn't he implement his own confab recommendations if he so much believe in them? truth is the heat of the anticorruption war, as our stolen money is being recovered from the elite ,is hot on Gej -the spokesman of corrupt Nigerian elite. He is not qualified to give this advice at all .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 2:53pm On May 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Go and buy the book Mastering English and read, also, don't forget to ask your English teachers for a refund.
just be glad for the anonymous nature of nairaland.
if not...
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by GrandGarcon: 3:26pm On May 25, 2017
Okoroawusa:
just be glad for the anonymous nature of nairaland. if not...
mkpi
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by tuniski: 4:30pm On May 25, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
He is no more the president. Let the current levers of power implement it. A conference done in 2014 couldn't have been implemented before 2015. It doesn't work that way. However he has done the conference and governance is continuum.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by tuniski: 4:32pm On May 25, 2017
Babacele:
so why didnt he restructure the country when he was the president ? why didn't he implement his own confab recommendations if he so much believe in them? truth is the heat of the anticorruption as our stolen money is being recovered from the elite is hot on Gej -the spokesman of corrupt Nigerian elite. He is not qualified to give this advice at all .
He couldn't have implemented it btw 2014 and election time 2015.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by vedaxcool(m): 5:36pm On May 25, 2017
Who listens to a god father of corruption

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by mikeycharles(m): 5:53pm On May 25, 2017
Erm Goodluck, what I know is everybody should contribute his own quota to nation building and insha Allah Nigeria go better.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by ourema(f): 8:21pm On May 25, 2017
Okoroawusa:
He didn't read it. Please forgive him
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 10:36pm On May 25, 2017
ourema:
He didn't read it. Please forgive him
no wonder.
Re: GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard by Babacele: 11:49pm On May 25, 2017
tuniski:
He couldn't have implemented it btw 2014 and election time 2015.
why?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Of The Legacy Projects Of Gov. Seriake Dickson / Ekiti Prefer The Kpomo Gov. To The Phd Holder Who Has Nothing To Offer / Tinubu On Hearing Of Saraki's Supreme Court Vitory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.