Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,995 members, 7,828,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners (29688 Views)

Power Companies To Offer Free Electricity To Nigerians For Months / List Of Oil Wells And Their Owners Seized By President Buhari / Why Nnpc Must Be Privatized. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by SalamRushdie: 10:14am On May 31, 2017
I only noticed how Tinubu name was cleverly removed from EKO and Ikeja discos

3 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by iluvdonjazzy: 10:16am On May 31, 2017
no wonder we have a problem with light, they are all politifians
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 10:17am On May 31, 2017
SalamRushdie:
I only noticed how Tinubu name was cleverly removed from EKO and Ikeja discos
noticed it too, how every one else was named but Lagos was owned convienently by a consortium

3 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by TonySpike: 10:19am On May 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Power is one issue that restructuring or true federalisim won't solve.

The issue with Power is funding...which is difficult because

1.People and government institutions owe bills. And some people refuse to pay bills....putting the burden more on those who do pay.

2.Failure of DISCOS torealise the power of giving everyone a meter....if they did that,they would earn far more than what they can concieve.

Sort out the funding issue...and we would have cash for transmission systems and generation.

Things which can be sorted out sans restructuring.

I strongly disagree with the bolded, Federalism/Regionalism will resolve power problems. I am 100% sure of that. Regionalism will accelerate the concept of what I call Power Islands, that is, the rapid development of the so-called microgrids and macrogrids in the long run. This will result into autonomous electric power blocs within Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by wacoj(m): 10:21am On May 31, 2017
The only reason we have so much problems with the power sector is because DANGOTE is not involved.
He is a problem solver. You see this IKEJA DISCO or whatever they call it, they are so unserious.

They won't give me light, I spend 20% of my monthly income on petrol yet they bring bill regularly.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by deolu2000(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2017
How come that the Gencos in the south, west and east were sold far above the price for the ones in the north? My other observation is that, where did the likes of abdulsalam, yahale mahmud,etc to mention but a few of the politicians on that list get the fund for such takeover? Is their somethg like ownership integrity/worthy test in Nigeria like it is in UK before anybody buys a public asset?

2 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Emassive(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2017
Politicians everywhere
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Alexander001(m): 10:27am On May 31, 2017
xdos:
Good info.
The guys who acquired the DISCOs have no plan in place to improve power distribution. They only acquired it cos' they saw it as massive money making venture. The govt needs to seat on these guys and ensure they meter their customers 100%.
They are still the ones running the govt. so, there is nothing the govt can do about it.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by bakynes(m): 10:34am On May 31, 2017
ehie:

Trailer crush you and your family there, with that ur dirty mouth u use to call GEJ, Obasanjo started the privatiization of NEPA, is it GEJ is calm you take him for a fool, may every evil befall u and ur lineage for calling GEJ, failure like u
You are a stupid lady, what did he say that is wrong, is it not GEJ that sold the PHCN asset to all these people?Obasanjo only renamed NEPA to PHCN,he did not Privatize it, GEJ sold all the PHCN asset to all these politicians.

In 2013, when they said they wanted to privatize power,I thought they were inviting international Electricity companies like EDF Suez, Gazprom,General Electric etc to build their own facilities so there could be competition, which will inturn bring about 24 hrs supply, just like it was done in the Telecoms sector which we are all enjoying now, not knowing GEJ was selling all the Assets to politicians and Cronies, who neither have the expertise nor funding to run these assets.

2 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by serikigoro: 10:39am On May 31, 2017
When Obasanjo did the telecoms mobile licence they went shopping for the best, eventually Econet, a company with track record in telecoms busness in Botswana, MTN a teleco gaint in South Africa, plus NITEL got the initial licences, within months they rolled out. There's no doubt that the process was a success, except for the wholly Nigerian owned NITEL that never took off . The others were a success story.

When it was time for Jonathan to privatize the power sector he simple sold to friends and cronies. THe battle between his friends and cronies was so intense, that Barth Nnaji then power minister got into a tough battle with the then VP Sambo on one of the GEncos. What ordinarily would have been a turning point for Jonathan he squandered it. Even the transmission contract that was given to Manitoba a well established Canadian power company was almost withdrawn from them to give to the "boys". Simply put Jonathan was a complete disaster!!!!! Had he sold the power companies to reputable companies with track record of capacity and credibility to source finance for investment , we would not be where we are now, rather he sold to friends and cronies who had/have no clue nor funds to inject into the business. There is no way power will improve in Nigeria with this set of GENCOs and DISCOs. It is totally impossible. SHIKENA!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Guyman02: 10:47am On May 31, 2017
xdos:
Good info.
The guys who acquired the DISCOs have no plan in place to improve power distribution. They only acquired it cos' they saw it as massive money making venture. The govt needs to seat on these guys and ensure they meter their customers 100%.

Must you quote the whole article just to make a two line comment
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by MONITZ: 10:53am On May 31, 2017
vedaxcool:
One of the many problem bequeathed to Us by Port Harcourt Degree (Ph.D) holder Jonathan.

I hope and pray that hatred,bias don't kill u someday, two years after and u still singing the same jagged tune, is the 'IB' still on seat ?What happened to the purveyors of change and y is government a continuum?

The citizens felt the need to change the government then and they did, only for them to realize albeit late that they were shortchanged by the present government. If every government were to continue blaming previous governments instead of getting down to the business of why it was voted ,then we will definitely not get anywhere because it would mean we re only moving in circles..
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Great6Pack(m): 10:54am On May 31, 2017
Raddie:
Now there's a name to one of our electrical problems.

Is ikeja disco/ ibadan disco in charge of lagos outskirts - alakuko/sango/ijoko/ota/ifo? I'd like to know so i'll direct my curse appropriately.

Ikeja is in charge of Alakuko while Ibadan is in charge of the rest
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by chibjohn(m): 10:57am On May 31, 2017
You are not informed. Most of those assets were sold by obasanjo. Obasanjo sold 51% stake in Egbin power plant before leaving office. GEJ only increased the stake to 70% during the 2013 privatization. You need to stop reading online forums and go for true documents. Nobody else could have bought those companies apart from these people that did because of our economic condition. Foreign investors don't just throw in money into a country, they do due diligence study to know the risks involved in doing business in a country so as to ascertain if they will get back their investments. The risks involved in buying those companies then were so much that its only indigenous firms that were ready to take such risks. Those risks are what's manifesting today in form of regulatory issues, liquidity issues and finance issues.
bakynes:

You are a stupid lady, what did he say that is wrong, is it not GEJ that sold the PHCN asset to all these people?Obasanjo only renamed NEPA to PHCN,he did not Privatize it, GEJ sold all the PHCN asset to all these politicians.

In 2013, when they said they wanted to privatize power,I thought they were inviting international Electricity companies like EDF Suez, Gazprom,General Electric etc to build their own facilities so there could be competition, which will inturn bring about 24 hrs supply, just like it was done in the Telecoms sector which we are all enjoying now, not knowing GEJ was selling all the Assets to politicians and Cronies, who neither have the expertise nor funding to run these assets.

3 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 11:00am On May 31, 2017
They are flaring gases, yet are complaining of lack of gas supply to generate electricity. Is that not lack of experience in doing electricity supplying business

If senates were there for the interest of Nigerians there would have been ministry of Gas such as ministry of petroleum and others.

Can a minister of power build up his balls to sanction these companies (GENcos and DIScos) owners their lazies colleagues(politicians) for reducing his reputation as minister of power?

1 Like

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by bakynes(m): 11:04am On May 31, 2017
chibjohn:
You are not informed. Most of those assets were sold by obasanjo. Obasanjo sold 51% stake in Egbin power plant before leaving office. GEJ only increased the stake to 70% during the 2013 privatization. You need to stop reading online forums and go for true documents. Nobody else could have bought those companies apart from these people that did because of our economic condition. Foreign investors don't just throw in money into a country, they do due diligence study to know the risks involved in doing business in a country so as to ascertain if they will get back their investments. The risks involved in buying those companies then were so much that its only indigenous firms that were ready to take such risks. Those risks are what's manifesting today in form of regulatory issues, liquidity issues and finance issues.
Don't quote me with your stupid ideas if you don't have meaningful ideas to pass.

I am not saying they should buy those assets, they should be invited to build their own facilities not buy the old moribond facilities.

It worked in the case of Telecoms so it will work in the case of Power, if they know no investor will come and invest in the sector then they should have kept running the assets themselves instead of selling them to people that will only make matters worse.

The politicians that bought these power facilities, have not built a single facility still operating with the old NEPA/PHCN facilities expecting the govt to still give them intervention funds from time to time. Is that what you call Privatization?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Moreoffaith(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2017
ejibaba:
They thought power is like communication so they rushed and bought what they can't maintain or even have capacity to manage. I doubt they have even finished paying.

Power in wrong hands...We need revolution

Bro are you aware federal govt still own 40% share ...

so this people still work hand in hand to scam us.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 11:07am On May 31, 2017
olujastro:
A lot of ignorant and mostly empty-headed people don't understand power is now a private business excluding transmission. That's why they rush to shout "Minister of Darkness".
Lalasticlala you need to educate some ignoramus on this forum.

Well...part of the problem is that Govt has run things for so long that when this parastatal gets privatized...people take a long time to get used to the idea. (I still use the term NEPA up till today...despite the fact that it has ceased to exist ages ago).

Another thing is that people expect govt to come in and cut prices of everyhting. I recall when the GSM first came out and they were charging exorbitant prices. Many people were calling on the Communications ministry to reduce prices (In other words...govt should essentially nationalise MTN and co.) Thankfully, the govt did not go that far....and prices did come down.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Moreoffaith(m): 11:10am On May 31, 2017
okol3825:
boost your account and see details and testify

WITH ALL THIS MONEY WEY YOU DEY WIN EVERYDAY E NEVER REACH MAKE YOU FINISH YOUR HOUSE FOR BANANA ISLAND?

THIEF OLE CARRY AM GO

SHOW US BET9JA WINNING SLIP FOR 7 DAYS IN A ROW ABEG

WITHE BET9JA TICKET WE FIT CONFIRM YOUR AUTHENTICITY.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 11:11am On May 31, 2017
bakynes:

Don't quote me with your stupid ideas if you don't have meaningful ideas to pass.

I am not saying they should buy those assets, they should be invited to build their own facilities not buy the old moribond facilities.

It worked in the case of Telecoms so it will work in the case of Power, if they know no investor will come and invest in the sector then they should have kept running the assets themselves instead of selling them to people that will only make matters worse.

Sorry...my eye caught your post....and you raise interesting points.

Re...DISCOSand GENCOS building new facilities. Hopefully that is in the plan (I know Abuja DISCO wants to build a new power plant sometime in the future near Abaji). However.....the issue is capital. Banks are not lending money to the power sector with the same ease they did for GSM.

Also...remember that the reason why GSM companies were able to build new facilties whas charging very high in the begining. Remember the days when a 'package' from Veego (now Airtel) could set you back N25000 naira.? Nowadays...you just pay N500, or less...and your sim is activated. Once they had earned enough money to build all their facilites,and make a profit...prices naturally went down....though it took 4 years!

1 Like

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by abumeinben(m): 11:12am On May 31, 2017
Raddie:
Now there's a name to one of our electrical problems.

Is ikeja disco/ ibadan disco in charge of lagos outskirts - alakuko/sango/ijoko/ota/ifo? I'd like to know so i'll direct my curse appropriately.

Those are Ogun state. Ogun is under IBEDC

1 Like

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by serikigoro: 11:13am On May 31, 2017
I would have prefered to call you something better but i cant find any . YOU ARE A LIAR!!! PERIOD!!! Here the link on details on how egbin was gifted out! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egbin_Thermal_Power_Station.

Since when did Nigerian politicians start investing in toxic assets or any investment at all. They only invest when it is a bazaar or abroad. You claim foreign investors were not interested yet local politicians were jostling for it as if their lives depended on it. Again Jonathan was nothing but a disaster that has already happened. He sold what could have birthed the industrial revolution to incompetent cronies who like him had no clue, as completely clueless. That is why 4 years after common meter to measure consumption they cannot provide , even when you pay for the meter it takes several months to arrive. Jonathan, I repeat is a disaster that has happened already.

chibjohn:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 11:15am On May 31, 2017
serikigoro:
When Obasanjo did the telecoms mobile licence they went shopping for the best, eventually Econet, a company with track record in telecoms busness in Botswana, MTN a teleco gaint in South Africa, plus NITEL got the initial licences, within months they rolled out. There's no doubt that the process was a success, except for the wholly Nigerian owned NITEL that never took off . The others were a success story.

When it was time for Jonathan to privatize the power sector he simple sold to friends and cronies. THe battle between his friends and cronies was so intense, that Barth Nnaji then power minister got into a tough battle with the then VP Sambo on one of the GEncos. What ordinarily would have been a turning point for Jonathan he squandered it. Even the transmission contract that was given to Manitoba a well established Canadian power company was almost withdrawn from them to give to the "boys". Simply put Jonathan was a complete disaster!!!!! Had he sold the power companies to reputable companies with track record of capacity and credibility to source finance for investment , we would not be where we are now, rather he sold to friends and cronies who had/have no clue nor funds to inject into the business. There is no way power will improve in Nigeria with this set of GENCOs and DISCOs. It is totally impossible. SHIKENA!!!

Yes...they did sell to very good companies re telco.

But remember...a lot of the money that the telcos like MTN and Econet (now Airtel)...and later Globacom,and Etisalat spent on new power equipemnt came from

1.High charges....a sim card used to cost N5000 and above.

2.Financing from banks.

The Discos and Gencos do not have that luxury.....especially in the area of financing from lenders.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 11:16am On May 31, 2017
deolu2000:
How come that the Gencos in the south, west and east were sold far above the price for the ones in the north? My other observation is that, where did the likes of abdulsalam, yahale mahmud,etc to mention but a few of the politicians on that list get the fund for such takeover? Is their somethg like ownership integrity/worthy test in Nigeria like it is in UK before anybody buys a public asset?

I don't know...but I daresay most of the facilities in the SOuth are gas-powered...hence the higher prices.The Northern generaiton facilities are mainly hydro-powered.

Of course...this is a wild guess.

2 Likes

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by abumeinben(m): 11:20am On May 31, 2017
9jakohai:

5.One other thing....the fact that DISCOS are restricted to specific regions...and not allowed to operate outside their regions. If I live in say...Lagos and find that Kaduna DISCO bills are lower...I could sign up with KADUNA disco...pay their bills on my meter.....which would in turn force Ikeja DISCO to lower prices....under an idea lsituation.

This is only possible on a smart grid, smart meters. Meters that have wireless or wired communication capabilities with grids. This would involve new deployment, another round of a 100year deployment plan of our underperforming DISCOs.

All in all, a lawyer cannot head the most rugged sector - the power sector.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by bakynes(m): 11:21am On May 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Sorry...my eye caught your post....and you raise interesting points.

Re...DISCOSand GENCOS building new facilities. Hopefully that is in the plan (I know Abuja DISCO wants to build a new power plant sometime in the future near Abaji). However.....the issue is capital. Banks are not lending money to the power sector with the same ease they did for GSM.

Also...remember that the reason why GSM companies were able to build new facilties whas charging very high in the begining. Remember the days when a 'package' from Veego (now Airtel) could set you back N25000 naira.? Nowadays...you just pay N500, or less...and your sim is activated. Once they had earned enough money to build all their facilites,and make a profit...prices naturally went down....though it took 4 years!
Bank needs to see their seriousness first of all before they can lend them money. That's why I would have preferred international electricity companies who have the financial muscle to handle the sector.

People won't mind paying the cost so far they can get 24 hours electricity. The poor will make do with the amount they are able to afford, with time when they make their investments, it will get cheaper.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by deolu2000(m): 11:25am On May 31, 2017
9jakohai:

I don't know...but I daresay most of the facilities in the SOuth are gas-powered...hence the higher prices.The Northern generaiton facilities are mainly hydro-powered.

Of course...this is a wild guess.
Well, we can only keep guessing, but i know the gas n hydro is only involve in the difference means to drive the turbines, that said i won't doubt this hausas favouring themselves in the sale of national assets.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Access To Twitter Denied From Nigeria Cyberspace - BBC Reports / INEC Directs Sokoto REC, Dr Nura Ali, To Stay Away From Office / Obiano's Wife Gives Bungalow Houses To Widows In Anambra - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.