Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,196 members, 7,829,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners (29698 Views)

Power Companies To Offer Free Electricity To Nigerians For Months / List Of Oil Wells And Their Owners Seized By President Buhari / Why Nnpc Must Be Privatized. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by chibjohn(m): 2:23pm On May 31, 2017
Now I know you are the pathological liar. Your mention that you work in Egbin has exposed you. It made me to run a background check on you to ascertain your claim since the Egbin employees I know won't be spewing all these trash that you are saying. If you had known me in real life you wouldn't have said that. I understand some people hide under different usernames to claim who they are not but if you have to lie do it sensibly.

Your name is Ab****m E**h. Yes during your NAPTIN rotation you were posted to Egbin to spend around 3 months for your field posting around 2014. That was the only period you were in Egbin. And I know how NAPTIN trainees are treated there. You dont do any major work. You cannot work fully in operations. They just rotate you through the maintenance depts and you spend some days in operations. You never did run shift so I don't know when you spent the night generating the power you claim you did. Right now you are no where near Egbin. Spending 3 months in Egbin or 1 year in NAPTIN wouldn't open your eyes to the real issues of the sector till you get involved with the real players.

Before you ask who is this person that has opened my nyash like this. I have a strong business connection with Egbin and I know almost all the employees. Even if I don't know you facially I can verify whether you are one within seconds.

I have passed through some NAPTIN trainings too so I understand that you may be talking from the few things some biased instructors taught you during your program if you actually completed it.

NAPTIN is a noble body but you are not a good ambassador of it at all. If you had taken your training seriously, you will have been better informed than you are now.

So please stop claiming to work in Egbin because you don't. Learn to get your facts right and study about how business are run.

realpoacher:

My friend shut da Bleep up! You are a bigger goat than the person you are defending. You think that I am a novice in the power sector?... Or you think that because I am not yet throwing statistics and industrial registers into this discuss means that I am a "jew"?.. FYI, that same few hours of power you see in your house is what I work my ass of(most times overnight) with other engineers to generate from Egbin here so show some respect.

The problem with people like you or other players in the power industry is too much complaints, beaurecracy, and bottlenecks when what you should concern yourself with is how to look beyond these problems and provide Nigeria with constant light all problems notwithstanding. I mean look at all what you have been saying since, you have been telling us 101 reasons why the power sector can't work making it an impossible venture. I bet, given your kind of person, you would have given us a thousand and one reason why the telecom industry wouldn't have worked too when Obasanjo wanted to ditch Nitel for MTN and Co. I am a realist but also an optimist. I look beyond problems and seek solutions.

Nigeria power problems will be solved with 100% metering and full privatization devoid of Government interference or unjust regulations. Quote me anywhere!! Allow the existing companies to remain but bring in the world big players to build, generate and distribute from scratch till finish. Let them bill us 30k, 50k per month on a pay-as-you-go meters. Those who can afford it will buy their cards while those who can't should remain with NEPA.... Power will be everywhere.

And as for Security and government agencies not paying their bills. It's a small issue, atleast I am very sure that every force man recharges his phone himself. 100% privatization will settle that.

It's only a foolish and a stupid man who keeps doing the same everytime and expects different results. We can't keep giving these companies credits to put into existing facilities, they are old and moribund

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by anyaekekehinde(m): 2:27pm On May 31, 2017
chibjohn:
First let's be civil and respect each other with in our words. I am an authority in this as I work in one of these companies and have attended many seminars and read many books written by professionals on that aspect. Having cleared you on that let me educate you.

In making business investment decisions, risks on return on investment is the major consideration. No business man invests money where he is not sure of getting it back. The way our power industry is structured, no sane business man will just throw in money into it. Do you know that the Gencos gets paid a paltry 20-25% value of the power they generate monthly? How will such a business man borrow money and put into a business that isn't doing well? If you are a business man will you do so? The DISCOS don't get paid by the customers for the power they consume and hence they don't remit the true amount of their power allocation to the market operator which spirals back to the gencos not getting paid. This illiquidity is the bane of the power sector. If we have to grow the sector, the govt have to make sure that it is solved.
So on your talk on inviting new investors to come and build power plants, they were actually invited and they didn't see it to be viable. I know of a lot of licenses that have been granted to foreign companies to build power plants in Nigeria but they are hesitant to do so due to the aforementioned issues. Can you venture into a business when you are seeing that the others in that line of business are not doing well?

I have read due diligence reports of prospective investors in the power industry and the recurring issue is always the liquidity issue.

Yes the investors have not build new plants but I am very sure and have being part of one of them that is in serious negotiations with world bank for financing to do so but world bank is hesitant due to the liquidity issue. They don't want govt intervention funds, they just want to make money like business people.

So how can we fix it?
First we have to fix a growth stimulating tariff for the power industry. That was the only thing that made the telecom industry to grow. You know how much a sim card was sold then compared to now. The current tariff charged coupled with the inefficiencies can never stimulate growth in the sector. The companies need to make gains and produce profitable year end financial statements that financial institutions will see and would not hesitate to lend them money for investment and expansion.
Also the citizen will have to be patriotic enough to pay for such exorbitant prices that will have to be charged with the hope that it will stimulate growth in the sector. Energy theft will have to be collectively frowned at by all and sundry.
The govt on their part will put all regulatory framework that will ensure reasonable return on investment and be ready to always provide letters of credit or guarantees required for investment financing in the sector.

PLEASE NOTE: You are only short changing yourself when you tag another persons idea to be stupid just because it doesn't align with the way you think. The best you can do is to ask for clarifications and evaluate it with yours so that you can stand with the best.

Please don't fail to let me know if you need further education!!

Please Who is this...
You are damm so informed, have me met before?.
Anyway, I will like to network with you.
I tell people, until you work in the power sector you can't understand the real challenges ( which you have just succinctly stated here -illiquidity) confronting the power sector.
Maybe we can discuss offline, the interesting argument you just raised about "value or price " which was what stimulated the growth of telecoms sector at the nascent stage is something that one of my lecturers has always hammered on, but I have always not favour transfer of similar high pricing model to power sector, maybe because of the social face it has.
Sent you a pm
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 31, 2017
Moreoffaith:

Bro are you aware federal govt still own 40% share ...

so this people still work hand in hand to scam us.

i know oooo...dt was i felt bad when fashola agreed for tarrif increased when knows we ain't getting value for what we were already paying
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 31, 2017
ruffhandu:
interesting. The people who actually had the technical expertise, like the former minister of power, were edged out.
I'll be alive to see Nigeria turn around for good, only I don't know when this will happen. Will I be up to 70 - 80 then? Only God knows. It's obvious I may not be part of Nigeria then, but I really would love to see how things pan out in the country. For now, the country is a shameless joke.

Things happen and people just swallow it and suffer. Reminds when someone told me passing WAEC is luck. This makes such youth to concentrate on cheating to pass, instead of studying.

When you nudge someone to lodge an official complain about an injustice, they tell you they don't have anyone to fight their cause. Don't you know that when many voices say the same thing, it gathers power. Did you see the statement Biafrans made yesterday? Nobody needs to be told what they are saying.

Bros. you are asking qwesions every bloodie should be asking. Politcians carry we money but we nepa we come later dey pay them bread so that them and their children's children go rule over us for ever. Noting dey equal like glo, zain and mtn , wen dey fight themselves for customers like jealous brothers. E hard to comprehend oooooo. But wetin dey fear me say these things dey happen no body dey yarn and those of us wen see aluta things wen suppose yarn come dey act like deaf and dumb . Another slavery republic by the microscopic few of the majority. We youth Bleep up big time, come join them dey talk those kind yeye talk unto some few crumbs wen dem fit gather. Hunger na bad matter I understand but that one nor mean say make person take I dey hungry chop witch.
Na we get we country na we be d driver and e nor get how motor go full reach make e nor contain driver. But today naija get as e be cos we don allow driver become agbero wen dey load motor and agbero driver.So driver nor come get sir again cos of yeye matter.
For this we country, na e everything dey loss. Ship loss, budget loss , and now we president don loss.Cos this one wen e pass backyard run so and them day na yondon e go and we neva see better picture not even for dem all crazie day, na e bi say antelope don carry gun begin pursue Hunter.
Any way na anything we dey take from this government. Them jazz brie get part two , cos we don mumu finish and we mumu never see cure.
Well , incase them ask, yarn them say I follow wish Mr.buhari safe recovri assuming e dey take holy water, we for use am pray for am and cute am fast.
Any which way, I don kawa like Kawasaki.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Kingspin(m): 8:00pm On May 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Power is one issue that restructuring or true federalisim won't solve.

The issue with Power is funding...which is difficult because

1.People and government institutions owe bills. And some people refuse to pay bills....putting the burden more on those who do pay.

2.Failure of DISCOS torealise the power of giving everyone a meter....if they did that,they would earn far more than what they can concieve.

Sort out the funding issue...and we would have cash for transmission systems and generation.

Things which can be sorted out sans restructuring.
All these issues you mentioned are among what restructuring should automatically address. The word ' restructure' is not an ideal rather a form of discussion and agreement of how best to solve a complex challenge in Nigeria context it must contain equal opportunity and rights for every citizens irrespective of his tribe and religion. This things can be done is just for people to recognise the benefit other countries have outcome their and move on. While Nigeria is lacking behind. We need hope in this country and Nigerians must agree first to discuss.
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by Atsinafepeter: 8:26pm On May 31, 2017
I have come to discover that the problem of Nigeria is not money but man power, they have the money to buy all this plant but could not maintain or improve on them, We have a long way to go more emphasis should be laid on educational sector and not politics "God bless Nigeria".
Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by serikigoro: 11:17am On Jun 01, 2017
You are a big LIAR I insist. here is the link again "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egbin_Thermal_Power_Station" plus a simple google of "who bought Egbin power plant?" will come up with the answers . Crooked Jonathan sold it all and sold them to his hopeless cronies at the expense of ordinary Nigerians who now bear the brunt of his foolish decision. I can bet you are typing this BS with a generator now, defending a man who has nearly ruined your future.

chibjohn:
You are truly funny. Let me not go down to your level to insult you like you did to me. You posted a fake link without any content in wikipedia at your pathetic attempt to contribute to a matter you know nothing about. Please post a better link because I truly want to read that article that talks about how Egbin was gifted out. who is a liar between the two of us is evident since your article is without content.

The problem I see in you is that your hatred for Jonathan is beclouding your reasoning from knowing the truth. I am not here to support nor criticise any govt past or present.

The question is: was privatization the best thing to do? My answer is yes if done well.
But was it done well? Not really, it could have been done better.

The mistakes have been made, we only have to talk about how to remedy them.

I agree with you the those assets could have worth more than they were sold but considering the present issues on return on investment, those selling price are not that bad.

You need to read more. Have you read the power sector reform act 2005? Was Jonathan in power then? You need to go to NERCs website and download all the MYTO and read. You also need to read Power purchase agreements between these Gencos and NBET. Also read the gas supply agreement (GSA) and gas transportation service agreement (GTSA) between the Gencos and the gas companies. After you must have read all these, then you can quote me so that we can discuss. Stop arguing blindly.

You also need to read books on how business decisions are taken. The truth is that Obasanjo started the privatisation process, Yaradua halted it and Jonathan completed it.
51% stake in Egbin was paid for during obasanjo's regime. So Egbin was sold then what was remaining was handing over modalities. Jonathan came in and raised the stake to 70% and completed the process.
Yes there are issues at the discos that needs to be sorted out.

So please read!!! before coming into a public forum like this and show your ignorance thereby deceiving others.

Re: Privatized Power Companies In Nigeria And Their Owners by AZeD1(m): 11:47am On Jun 01, 2017
serikigoro:

You are a big LIAR I insist. here is the link again "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egbin_Thermal_Power_Station" plus a simple google of "who bought Egbin power plant?" will come up with the answers . Crooked Jonathan sold it all and sold them to his hopeless cronies at the expense of ordinary Nigerians who now bear the brunt of his foolish decision. I can bet you are typing this BS with a generator now, defending a man who has nearly ruined your future.

Dude
ObJ sold Egbin to Sahara long before GEJ came into power.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram's Video On Abduction Of Policewomen Released By Its Leader / Why I Refused To Remove Emefiele - President Buhari / Buhari Wasn’t Aware Of Onnoghen’s Trial Until Saturday, Says Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.