Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos (3286 Views)

How Igbos Developed Lagos / Lets Put An End To This Argument Finally - Igbo Developed Lagos / "Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by solreb: 5:39pm On May 25, 2017
LAGOS MY STATE
WHO OWNS LAGOS? HISTORY 101:POINT OF INFORMATION

"By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people.Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil Th.e black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European
origin.

In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and
commerce,infrastructural development and cosmopolitanism." -EXTRACTED

With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos.

Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Oshogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu. Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before your daddies, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos?

By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and In 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before of the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos came from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914.

I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions.

The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from?

The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and develop Lagos. Your forebears came to Yoruba-land like every other settlers and we appreciate their contributions but the stupid claim that Igbo built and develop Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before your forebears came here from their villages and towns.

The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith.

The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land?

While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 6:24pm On May 25, 2017
A thread dead on arrival,....

Until places like Ibadan , Abeokuta, Oshogbo, akure and ado ekiti have nice houses like Lagos just like the east,.that is when I will believe that yoruba contributed to the development of Lagos....

If Yoruba's develop Lagos, Lagos would have been filled with brown roof just like Ibadan...

Lagos has the same replica of SE houses ....that should simply tell you that the east contributed highly to Lagos development....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 6:27pm On May 25, 2017
1&2.....SE
3&4.....SW
who do you think develop lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 6:30pm On May 25, 2017
1&2.....SE
3&4.....SW
Base on the pattern of building, who do you think develop Lagos

1 Like

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Jabioro: 6:31pm On May 25, 2017
They won't read it but they are ready to cut off your neck for not concur with their common stamp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by EmeeNaka: 6:38pm On May 25, 2017
This claims/ thread has been here since 2013. OP, you seem to derive joy in nonsense. BTW, does your claim negate the statement by Igbo people of Lagos being a no-mans Land which they help developed?

1 Like

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Oxtonguy: 6:39pm On May 25, 2017
tongue
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Oxtonguy: 6:40pm On May 25, 2017
What's wrong with uglyafonja better go and check ur mental status

5 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by lilytender: 6:44pm On May 25, 2017
It is no doubt in the mind of fools that the Biafrans developed Lagos, the same way they are currently developing Malaysia, China, Singapore and other countries prisons through their drug trafficking. I only wonder why they cannot develop their Biafra land. Well, maybe the erosion savged Biafra land is cursed.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 6:55pm On May 25, 2017
Oxtonguy:
What's wrong with uglyafonja better go and check ur mental status

You this Ibadan boy......I comment my reserve but I sight you
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Guestlander: 6:57pm On May 25, 2017
uglyafonja:
A thread dead on arrival,....

Until places like Ibadan , Abeokuta, Oshogbo, akure and ado ekiti have nice houses like Lagos just like the east,.that is when I will believe that yoruba contributed to the development of Lagos....

If Yoruba's develop Lagos, Lagos would have been filled with brown roof just like Ibadan...

Lagos has the same replica of SE houses ....that should simply tell you that the east contributed highly to Lagos development....

Oyo state: 28,454 square km

All five Igbo states: 40,000 square km

Your comparison is fraudulent.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 6:57pm On May 25, 2017
lilytender:
It is no doubt in the mind of fools that the Biafrans developed Lagos, the same way they are currently developing Malaysia, China, Singapore and other countries prisons through their drug trafficking. I only wonder why they cannot develop their Biafra land. Well, maybe the erosion savged Biafra land is cursed.

Go through the pics above and tell us how Afonja developed Lagos with their brown roof....

To cut the story short.....What are the contributions of the Afonjas to Lagos development?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Oxtonguy: 7:00pm On May 25, 2017
uglyafonja:

You this Ibadan boy......I comment my reserve but I sight you
Hmmmn, na wa oo, English is dead grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 7:00pm On May 25, 2017
Guestlander:

Oyo state: 28,454 square km

All five Igbo states: 40,000 square km

Your comparison is fraudulent.

It is not by size....show us what you got....after all Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria...

Tell us how Afonjas developed Lagos...

Atleast Igbo's are traders and artisans....what are average Afonja man work in Lagos....

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 7:03pm On May 25, 2017
Oxtonguy:

I don't know what to tell you....but for the meantime, take am

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Guestlander: 7:03pm On May 25, 2017
uglyafonja:

It is not by size....show us what you got....after all Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria...

Tell us how Afonjas developed Lagos...

Atleast Igbo's are traders and artisans....what are average Afonja man work in Lagos....

It is definitely by size, igboland is tiny just like Lagos, despite that, there are still a whole lot of derelict buildings in Igboland despite your misrepresentation.
If all Yorubas are developing only 40,000 square km, I can only wonder what it would look like.

1 Like

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 7:03pm On May 25, 2017
Oxtonguy:

I don't know what to tell you....but for the meantime, take am.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by uglyafonja: 7:05pm On May 25, 2017
Guestlander:

It is definitely by size, igboland is tiny just like Lagos, despite that there are still a whole lot of derelict buildings in Igboland despite your misrepresentation.

I am just wasting my data replying you.....
Answer my question.....or you get off my mention

What do afonjas contributes to Lagos
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Oxtonguy: 7:08pm On May 25, 2017
uglyafonja:

I don't know what to tell you....but for the meantime, take am.....
But I have something to tell u, work on ur english, cross 9ja bridge to c things in the west, learn factual things about our Lagos, and stop deceiving urself grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by paramakina202: 7:13pm On May 25, 2017
Quote-The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, [b]Dr. Akannu Ibiam, [/b]graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some rooster and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.
All those names are not native Yorubas but freed slaves while Mbanefo and Dr. Akanu Ibiam are native Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by laudate: 7:15pm On May 25, 2017
paramakina202:
Quote-The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, [/b]graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some rooster and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.
All those names are not native Yorubas but freed slaves while Mbanefo and Dr. Akanu Ibiam are native Igbos.

[b] Sapara
is a Yoruba name. Check am well, o! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by paramakina202: 7:26pm On May 25, 2017
laudate:

Sapara is a Yoruba name. Check am well, o! cheesy

But he is freed slave abi.
Give us Yoruba born and bred pioneers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Guestlander: 7:34pm On May 25, 2017
uglyafonja:

I am just wasting my data replying you.....
Answer my question.....or you get off my mention

What do afonjas contributes to Lagos

Like a cornered squirrel trying to scurry away. I would rather not chat with you anyway, so you have nothing to worry about.
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by ariesbull: 7:37pm On May 25, 2017
paramakina202:
Quote-The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, [b]Dr. Akannu Ibiam, [/b]graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some rooster and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions.

You are mixing Creole returnees with Yoruba names.

Sapara
Williams
Savages
Santos
Wellington
Crowther

Etc

These are not Yoruba ...They're Creole names
We know Yoruba names sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by paramakina202: 7:45pm On May 25, 2017
ariesbull:

Sapara
Williams
Savages
Santos
Wellington
Crowther

Etc

We know Yoruba names sir

You quote the wrong person,the same was what i highlighted in that quote.
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by ariesbull: 7:46pm On May 25, 2017
paramakina202:

You quote the wrong person,the same was what i highlighted in that quote.

I know ....I just wanted to put in proper perspective for them
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Chiaka(f): 7:47pm On May 25, 2017
Oil Money from the Niger of course you forget Lagos was former capital and most of its infrastructures was built with Niger Delta Oil Money grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by amiibaby(f): 7:53pm On May 25, 2017
lilytender:
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 25, 2017
paramakina202:

That does not make them less Yoruba!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by paramakina202: 8:07pm On May 25, 2017
ariesbull:

I know ....I just wanted to put in proper perspective for them

Okay!
Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 25, 2017
paramakina202:

That does not make them less Yoruba! Same should apply for Louis Mbanefo, he is also not a native Ibo. Can you imagine there is now native Yoruba and those that are not native. This one weak me.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos 101 - Who Truly Developed Lagos by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 25, 2017
ariesbull:

Sapara
Williams
Savages
Santos
Wellington
Crowther

Etc

We know Yoruba names sir

For real! So it is no longer one's father nativity that determines ones nativity, it is where one has travelled to and returned from. Double hail for your logic.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau / List Of Kwara Pdp Bigwigs That Decamped To Apc / Massive IPOB Protest In Brazil In Support Of MNK & Oduduwa Republic- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.