Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:08 AM

Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? (1276 Views)

Democracy NOT Kelptocracy / Tinubu: "Election Postponement Is Democracy At Gunpoint" / Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by deluxecad(m): 6:51pm On Jan 15, 2010
I would say it is expensive due to the time(Nigeria as a typology) and money it costs. Going by the lies, anarchy, shortchanging and all the impropriety going on in Nigeria where an unfit leader wouldn't relinquish power to the fit, I think an alternative would have been better. How can we be paying all the parliamentarians all that amount they made us to understand they receive as stipends and allowances while they do practically nothing besides power tussle? Can't there be a system less sluggish and cheaper?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by ElRazur: 6:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
I heard Sharia, Dictatorship et al are all cheaper. Perhaps you will like us to embrace that? grin
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Kobojunkie: 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2010
deluxecad:

I would say it is expensive due to the time(Nigeria as a typology) and money it costs. Going by the lies, anarchy, shortchanging and all the impropriety going on in Nigeria where an unfit leader wouldn't relinquish power to the fit, I think an alternative would have been better. How can we be paying all the parliamentarians all that amount they made us to understand they receive as stipends and allowances while they do practically nothing besides power tussle? Can't there be a system less sluggish and cheaper?

Where did you get this?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Tsiya(m): 7:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
ElRazur:

I heard[b] Sharia[/b], Dictatorship et al are all cheaper. Perhaps you will like us to embrace that? grin

Sharia is a legal system not a political system

Democray is not expensive unless you want to make the principal actors rich. In the case of Nigeria, the fastest root to become rich is kidnapping, then followed by holding a political position. And if it is Nigeria, whatever the political system we have, we aint gonna see much of the money.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Beaf: 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2010
It is cheapest to split the country.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by ElRazur: 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2010
Tsiya:

Sharia is a legal system not a political system

Democray is not expensive unless you want to make the principal actors rich. In the case of Nigeria, the fastest root to become rich is kidnapping, then followed by holding a political position. And if it is Nigeria, whatever the political system we have, we aint gonna see much of the money.

You missed the joke. Having said that, tell it to nation who have it adopted and incorporated into their system of government. grin
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Remii(m): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
Cost is not the problem, the annoying thing about Nigeria's case is that people get soo much pay doing nothing. Some do not even know why and and what do deliver to the people.

Every good thing comes with a cost, that is the same all over the world.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Kobojunkie: 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
Remii:

Cost is not the problem, the annoying thing about Nigeria's case is that people get soo much pay doing nothing. Some do not even know why and and what do deliver to the people.

Every good thing comes with a cost, that is the same all over the world.

But have we really recorded a cost for democracy? Or are we adding unrelated costs to this?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by oderemo(m): 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
go and read the uwais report and you will find your ans. full stop.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by deluxecad(m): 7:28pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Kobojunkie: I've been so traumatized by all I've seen, read and heard, that's why I wrote. That's where I got it. What has democracy not cost us in just the few years we've run it?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by deluxecad(m): 7:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
To me democracy is just another scam, maybe in Nigeria.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
deluxecad:

To me democracy is just another scam, maybe in Nigeria.
How can a system that allows the people the right to choose be a scam? Have we even TRIED It for you to declare it a scam? Does what we have right now remotely resemble the definition of democracy you know?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Knight1(m): 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
Democracy on its own is not really expensive, it's Nigeria's democracy that's expensive. I heard we pay Govt officials the highest in the world, dunno how true it is but you can figure,
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Remii(m): 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2010
Knight1:

Democracy on its own is not really expensive, it's Nigeria's democracy that's expensive. I heard we pay Govt officials the highest in the world, dunno how true it is but you can figure,

Infact almost 40% of national yearly expenditure goes to political office holders in Naija from FG, 36 SGs to 774 LGAs, yet they are not accountable to the people.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2010
People just seems to start a thread for the fun of starting a thread
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Remii(m): 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
^^^^^That is the beauty of NL freedom. Just like Awolowo once said, "you may not have your way but should have your say", lol.
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
Knight1:

What Nigeria has is NOT DEMOCRACY. What we have is an INHUMANE TWIST on it that favours godfathers, millitants, thieves and corrupt individuals. I mean would the likes of IBB have a say in a true democracy? He would be in jail by now. Would someone like Yar adua had made it near the gates of ASO rock? He would have been in and out of courts for his 8 years in Katsina. Would someone like Obj walk free among us? He would be in hidding, hoping he is never caught. So How can anyone claim what we have in Nigeria is democracy? Are the people even willing to step up to the plate? We are still satisfied with cowering in the corner when called to act, and cooking up ginomous excuses for why we are not to be held responsible for the state of affairs. It is unbelievable!!
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by mamagee3(f): 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
What's so difficult for a govt to stand for the people and by the people? undecided
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2010
mama-gee:

What's so difficult for a govt to stand for the people and by the people? undecided

Well, for one, are the people themselves standing for the people and by the people? The first thing you are taught in school of democracy is that it is only as strong as the people make it, right?
Re: Is Democracy Not Too Expensive? by deluxecad(m): 9:00am On Jan 16, 2010
I think democracy in Nigeria is more of make-believe than what the authors intended it to be. By the people? How? What do the house of reps members do with their constituency allocations? It's a scam anyhow u see it.

(1) (Reply)

Micheal Andoanka (former Agf) Now Minister For Special Duties / Turai Mellows, Yar’adua Ponders Resignation / Ogwu Becomes Board Member Of Un Training, Research Institute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.