Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,771 members, 7,831,478 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Meet Quiet UNIZIK Student Who Won N1m Oratory Prize - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Quiet UNIZIK Student Who Won N1m Oratory Prize (356 Views)

Francis Mmadubuobi, Unizik Student Slumps, Dies While Playing Basketball / Decomposing Body Of A Female Unizik Student Found In Her Room, 4 Days After She / Friends Mourn Female UNIZIK Student Who Died In A Security Guard's Room. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Quiet UNIZIK Student Who Won N1m Oratory Prize by AnthonyDgreat: 8:00am On May 27, 2017
Ugo Ijeoma Ndianiefo is one of the over 1,000 Nigerian youths drawn from 20 tertiary institutions across the country that registered for the 2017 National Youth Oratory Contest, a competition fast becoming one of Nigeria’s biggest platform for youth interaction and constructive argument.

The event held in Awka, Anambra State, was a brainchild of VIP-Hub Media anchors-Ekene, Chiagozie and Elochukwu Ezeumeanya, who developed the idea to become the darling of students.

The VIP-Hub reality television show, according to Ekene, one of the organizers, was established in 2011 as Literary Insight Network (LIN). It was a university-based club that frequently organized book and poetry reading sessions and reviews for members.

The quest by the organisers for a sponsor caught the attention of the head, Department of Philosophy at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Rev. Father Prof. Bonachristus Uchenna Umeogu, who donated N1m and a trip to South Africa.

When Ndianiefo, an indigene of Otolo Nnewi in Nnewi Local Government Area of Anambra State was registering for the competition, little did he believe that he would emerge winner of the N1m prize and one week leadership training in South Africa.

The topic of the competition was: “Nigeria as entrepreneurial hub of Africa” which the orators argued for and against.

Proponents of the verbal battle argued that Nigeria had groomed and nurtured young entrepreneurs and had advanced the economy of Africa through its rich culture, business ideas and orientation as well as its population.

But the visibly angry opponents wondered why Nigeria should be regarded as the entrepreneurial hub of Africa while only a few individuals in the country are entrepreneurs in a country characterized by lack of power supply and multiple taxation among others.

At the end of the competition, Ugo Ijeoma Ndianiefo emerged first with 83.3 points, followed by Nwenyi Ogechi, Placid Martins, Eze nwakuba and Anidebe Collins.

In his remarks, Mr. Ekene Ezeumeanya advised Nigerian youths to insist on hard work, resilience and integrity to always guide their conduct.

He regretted that Nigerian governments and individuals have not created a conducive environment for youth entrepreneurship to thrive, even as he described such as no barrier to anyone who wants to succeed and survive.

The sponsor of the programme, Rev Fr. Bonachristus Umeogu, said he desired to see youths with constructive thinking who can take their destinies in their hands.

“We are seriously looking forward to seeing the future belonging to the youth, we also need youths with constructive thinking.

Some people, especially the youth, move with crowd and hence, lose their vision, identity and point of view in life. We are seriously looking for a civilized future.

If one is a leader and doesn’t care about the person he is leading, it is doom and that is why we must all strive to build a civilized society,” he said.

Prof Okunna frowned at the slow pace of development in Nigeria but expressed optimism that the future would be better for Nigerian youths.

Speaking on Nigeria as the entrepreneurial hub of Africa, Prof. Okunna expressed concern with the present economy, but added: “I am optimistic that there is hope for Nigeria. Nigeria has great potentials but we are not utilizing it, we need SMEs to grow but my worry is that the SMEs may not thrive unless the power sector improves.”

She admitted that Nigerian governments technically failed, and called on the present government to declare a state of emergency on the power sector, even as she emphasized that the country promotes wrong values.

A close look at Ndianiefo

Ugo Ijeoma Ndianiefo was born on April 11, 1994 in Libreville, Gabon. A native of Otolo-Nnewi, in Nnewi-North in Anambra State, he was brought back home three years after.

At Nnewi, he was enrolled in Dubem Primary School, Nnewi, where he attended his nursery and primary 1-4 classes, but sequel to his family’s relocation to Onitsha, he attended primary 5 and 6 at King’s Foundation Primary School, Fegge, Onitsha.

His got post-primary education at St. Patrick’s College, Asaba, where he later became the senior prefect, led many competitions in debate and discovered he had flair for public speaking.

“I used to be very fragile, until one day, my headmaster said, you need to be strong. That really motivated me, and from that day I began to discover the many things I could do; my confidence increased by the day”, he recalled.

To prove his strength, Ugo ventured into sports, from goalkeeping to becoming one of the best basketball players of the school which he represented at the 2006 Milo Basketball Competition in Lagos.

“Lack of support from my parents to pursue basketball as a career shifted my interest to high jump and with the experience I had as a basketball player, I blended as a high jump athlete”, he said.

As a high jump athlete, Ugo represented his school at the National School Sports in 2008 where he set a record of 1.92 meters, a feat that earned him a spot to represent Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games in India that year.

In 2009, he represented the country at the African Youth Championship in Mauritius. His performance in sports earned him two international scholarships which his parents declined.

He enrolled for a Diploma in Law programme at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka in 2009 and in 2011, got an admission to study Law at the same university where he proved to be a public speaker by becoming the winner of the Unizik Brain FASUI (2014) and Unizik Orator (2015).

He also became the first student coordinator, Unizik Debating Team in 2015, and from 2016 till date, is the coordinator of Global Awareness Society International (GASAI).

Inspiration

“My principle in life is ‘Nobody owes you anything’, and my money principle is, ‘Find what you love doing, and find someone to pay you for doing it’.”

According to him, these two statements have guided his every step.

“When I remember that no one owes me anything, I work harder and never have cause to depend on anybody. Finding what you love doing and getting someone to pay you for doing it has always worked for me. Passion drives wealth,” he added.

He however noted that there are people whose lives had inspired him, especially his mother, Mrs. Ijeoma Ndianefo and Lolo Elizabeth Ezenna.

The win

Everyone assumes that winning the oratory competition should be a period of celebration and relaxation for Ugo, but he has perceived this differently. He believes that to whom much is given, much is expected.

“I am happy and at the same time perplexed because I understand that every accomplishment comes with a bigger responsibility. I am sure everyone wants to know what the money will be used for. The simple answer is that I will give it back to the society in multiple ways, especially in training public speakers,” he said.

He disclosed that he has plans to start an initiative which would deliver good a oratory platform for Nigerian youths.

Future plan

Ugo is confident that in the next five years, he would be a key player in Nigeria’s youth politics, public speaking, public oration and public service.

SOURCE: http://www.dailyschoolgist.com.ng/2017/05/meet-quiet-unizik-student-who-won-n1m-oratory-prize/

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want To Study Abroad Or Online Free Of Charge? / Hahaha See How NYSC Corps Member Recited States And Capitals / CAN Writes A Petition To Federal Govt To Take Over LAUTECH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.