Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK (828 Views)

Everybody Suffers As Nigeria Heads To Poll - Daily Mail UK / Pictures Of Foreign Journalists Observing The Biafra@50 Sit At Home Order. / Osinbajo, Obasanjo At Biafra 50 Years After Event In Abuja (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by bukifemi1: 3:55pm On May 28, 2017
A study this month by London-based SBM Intelligence suggested there was "rising support for a Biafra" in Nigeria's southeast and south.

" Believe that both regions should make up a future Biafran state,"

The current main pro-independence groups want a referendum on self-determination

The arrest and incarceration towards the end of 2015 of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu on treason charges has been seen as a turning point

Nigeria on Tuesday marks 50 years since the declaration of an independent Republic of Biafra plunged the country into a civil war, amid renewed tensions and fresh calls for a separate state.

The main pro-independence groups -- the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) -- have called for a day of reflection.

People in the southeast have been urged to stay at home to commemorate the secession, which happened on May 30, 1967.

But many fear an eruption of violence and Nigeria's security forces have said they are on red alert in hotspots in the former republic, such as Aba and Onitsha, where protests last year turned bloody.

In 1970, after nearly three years of fighting, Biafran soldiers who were outnumbered 10 to one by federal troops and under-equipped, laid down their arms.

The conflict caused an estimated million deaths, many of them caused by starvation after the secessionist region was blockaded.

With surrender went their dreams of a separate state for the Igbo people, who are the majority in the southeast.

Half a century later, Biafra remains an extremely sensitive subject in Nigeria.

"Nigeria did nothing for us since the end of the war. We have no roads, no infrastructures, no jobs. It's time to achieve what our fathers started," John Ahaneku, 48, told AFP.

- Turning point -

Igbo frustrations have grown over the decades.

During the long years of military government after the end of the war, they felt excluded from economic and political power.

Both have been dominated by the two other main ethnic groups in the country, the northern Hausa-Fulani and the Yoruba from the southwest.

But it was only after the return to democracy in 1999 that secessionist aspirations began to slowly resurface.

The current main pro-independence groups want a referendum on self-determination.

They accuse the former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari -- a northern Muslim who was elected civilian president in 2015 -- of violently repressing their freedom of expression.

The arrest and incarceration towards the end of 2015 of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu on treason charges has been seen as a turning point.

Amnesty International has accused the Nigerian security forces of killing at least 150 IPOB supporters in 2016, a claim Abuja flatly denies.

At least 60 were killed during commemorations for the civil war on May 30 last year, the human rights group alleged.

- Separatist solidarity -

On Thursday, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo -- standing in for the absent Buhari, who is on indefinite medical leave -- warned against the eruption of violence.

Nigeria is made up of some 250 ethnic groups and broadly divided between a largely Muslim north and mainly Christian south.

The 50th anniversary of Biafra was "an opportunity for individual and collective introspection", Osinbajo told a conference on the civil war in Abuja.

"Today some are suggesting that we must go back to the ethnic nationalities from which Nigeria was formed.

"Clearly our strength is in our diversity, that we are greater together than apart."

Abuja currently faces a number of sometimes violent separatist claims that threaten the country's unity, not least Boko Haram's insurgency to create a hardline Islamic state in the northeast.

In the oil-producing Niger delta, some of which was part of independent Biafra at the start of the war, sabotage by armed rebel groups in 2016 led to a slump in production, hitting Nigeria's economy.

Despite their diverging interests, pro-Biafra groups and Niger Delta rebels have publicly expressed mutual solidarity.

- Wrong approach -

On Friday, the federal police denounced "planned protests and order of market closures" on May 30 and said it was "deeply concerned with the security implications".

Police "will not hesitate to deal decisively with any group(s) and their sponsors that attempt to cause disturbance of the peace or carry out any unlawful demonstration", spokesman Jimoh O. Moshood warned.

According to analysts, the suppression of pro-Biafra protests is the wrong response and has only hardened more young people's attitudes in favour of independence.

A study this month by London-based SBM Intelligence suggested there was "rising support for a Biafra" in Nigeria's southeast and south.

"A total of 42.5 percent of all respondents believe that both regions should make up a future Biafran state
," it said.

"However, just under half, 49.3 percent, of the total respondents still believe that the way forward for the Nigerian state is as one country, but with 'true federalism' being practised."

"You can't kill an ideology with a gun."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4549160/Frustration-hope-Biafra-50-years-on.html

4 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by engrsyer(m): 4:00pm On May 28, 2017
Brb let me go to the toilet.
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by DocHMD: 4:05pm On May 28, 2017
Yesterday it was VOA news, today it is dailymail.

World media writing about IPOB everyday while the ewedu nylon-shiit flingers look dazed in oshogbo. grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by DocHMD: 4:07pm On May 28, 2017
Abeg let's pray lalasticlala doesn't see this thread. grin
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by prince9851(m): 4:43pm On May 28, 2017
I think its the foreign journalist who visited KANU that are now reporting this news...nice one

7 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by etebefia: 4:54pm On May 28, 2017
FP
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by SuperS1Panther: 5:00pm On May 28, 2017
I gave up on the useless write up when i saw the name of the writer. Hi name says it all about the write up -- Okereke--- most likely another iPod Osu Wailer Propagandist parading himself as journalist.

Please where is the wanna-be propagandist referring to as ''South''?

Ojukwu ran away as a cowardly sissy that he was after leading 3million gullible Osus to the Gas Chamber.

Nnamid Kanu, the Lord of Kuje prison stylishly negotiated his release while others are still in Prison. He is busy eating Akpu in his house while over 1,000 are lying in graves.

Bunch of jokers and clowns.

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by IJOBA2: 5:21pm On May 28, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
I gave up on the useless write up when i saw the name of the writer. Hi name says it all about the write up -- Okereke--- most likely another iPod Osu Wailer Propagandist parading himself as journalist.

Ojukwu ran away as a cowardly sissy that he was after leading 3million gullible Osus to the Gas Chamber.

Nnamid Kanu, the Lord of Kuje prison stylishly negotiated his release while others are still in Prison. He is busy eating Akpu in his house while over 1,000 are lying in graves.

YOU SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF OSUN WHERE CHRISTIANS HAVE NO SAY angry . ODENI AREGBERASCAL GOT AL- QURAN AS THE BEST PERFORMING ISLAMIC JIHADIST IN NIGERIA grin

8 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by prince9851(m): 5:24pm On May 28, 2017
[s]
SuperS1Panther:

[/s]cry me an ocean grin

7 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by SuperS1Panther: 5:25pm On May 28, 2017
IJOBA2:
YOU SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF OSUN WHERE CHRISTIANS HAVE NO SAY angry . ODENI AREGBERASCAL GOT AL- QURAN AS THE BEST PERFORMING ISLAMIC JIHADIST IN NIGERIA grin

YOU SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT JEWISH BIAFRAU.D WHERE CHRISTIANS HAVE NO SAY.

WELCOME TO THE JUDAIC REPUBLIC OF BIAFRAU.D

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by SuperS1Panther: 5:26pm On May 28, 2017
prince9851:
[i][/i]cry me an ocean grin

.... and please take a dive into the deepest part of the lagoon --- ''for a swimming lesson''. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by Ganiyat72(f): 5:27pm On May 28, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

My yoruba muslim bro how far?

4 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by conductor111: 5:29pm On May 28, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

How does this nonsense you wrote make sense to you?

Anyway, no one expects someone who drinks green hydraulic awudu soup to have sense. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by SuperS1Panther: 5:30pm On May 28, 2017
Ganiyat72:
My yoruba muslim bro how far?

My Igbo lost Jew how market?
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by luvinhubby(m): 5:30pm On May 28, 2017
Buhari is a muntula, turned a faceless nobody into a global hero.

Nice one sha.
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by SuperS1Panther: 5:35pm On May 28, 2017
conductor111:

No one expects someone who drinks green hydraulic awudu soup to have sense. cheesy

Whoeve eats this bolus of Akpu can never thinhk straight because his brain would have fermented.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by amuwo1980: 5:46pm On May 28, 2017
COME DO THIS PPL REALLY EAT THAT GREEN SLIMY ALGAE LIKE STUFF EWUDU ? HOW CAN U ON EARTH TRUST SUCH A FELLOW?
Re: Frustration And Hope: Biafra 50 Years On. Daily Mail UK by conductor111: 5:56pm On May 28, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Whoeve eats this bolus of Akpu can never thinhk straight because his brain would have fermented.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Stop quoting me, I wasn't the one who flogged odiduwa out of the sky.

(1) (Reply)

I Inherited Witchcraft From Suswam - Benue Gov, Ortom / Osibanjo Is A Mere Constitutional Stooge Abokis Are Incharge / IPOB members Vs Nigerian Police see clash PICS VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.