Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill (26554 Views)

Femi Odekunle: Malami's Power Block Doesn't Support Buhari Anti-Corruption Fight / Ministerial List: A Mockery of Buhari's Anti-Corruption war - Yakassai / Senate Finally Passes Buhari’s Anti-corruption Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 4:14pm On May 30, 2017
The Nigerian Senate has passed an executive bill proposed to enlist international assistance in the country’s efforts to tackle criminal matters, including money laundering, asset acquisition from proceeds of corruption and other forms of illicit financial flows.

The proposed law, Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Between Nigeria and Other Foreign Countries, SB 224, 2017, was read for the third time and subsequently passed by the Senate on Tuesday.

The passage followed the presentation of the joint report on the bill by the Senate committees on foreign affairs, chaired by Monsurat Sunmonu (APC-Oyo); judiciary, human rights and legal matters, chaired by David Umaru (APC-Niger) and anti-corruption, chaired by Chukwuma Utazi, PDP-Enugu.

The bill – and another one on Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition – was sent to the Senate by President Muhammadu Buhari on January 27, 2016, before it was finally passed by the lawmakers on Tuesday.

The bill seeks to get relevant international assistance in cases of money laundering and provide framework for “other countries to assist in provision of and obtaining of evidence, making of arrangements for persons to give evidence”.

“The bill also hopes to elicit international assistance in criminal investigations, recovery, forfeiture or confiscation of property in respect of offences.

“The restraining of dealings in property or the freezing of asset that may be recovered, forfeited or confiscated in respect of offences.

“The execution of request for search and seizure, the location and identification of witnesses and suspects,” Mr. Buhari wrote to the Senate in January 2016.

There is no report yet on the second one, Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition Bill, sent same day as the one on mutual legal assistance.

With the approval of the bill by the Senate, a similar approval by the House of Representatives isrequired before a joint approval by the National Assembly following which the bill will be sent to the president for assent.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/232544-senate-finally-passes-buharis-anti-corruption-bill.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by madridguy(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2017
ok
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 4:22pm On May 30, 2017
This bill sounds bare bones to what Buhari had in mind. Oh well still pretty good though. Maybe we'll get word on the Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition this week.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by OVI75(m): 4:24pm On May 30, 2017
Is Buhari still d President ?

19 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 4:25pm On May 30, 2017
OVI75:

Why are you fond of asking redundant questions. Read before speaking it will help you sound more intelligent. All this to chase likes and shares.

The bill – and another one on Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition – was sent to the Senate by President Muhammadu Buhari on January 27, 2016, before it was finally passed by the lawmakers on Tuesday.

63 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by jay2pee(m): 4:36pm On May 30, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 30, 2017
Ok..

"There is no report yet on the second one, Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition Bill, sent same day as the one on mutual legal assistance."

The second bill died the same day Gowon declared "no victor, no vanquished" shocked shocked shocked

5 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by chinoxstock: 4:41pm On May 30, 2017
Blue3k:

Why are you found of asking redundant questions. Read before speaking it will help you sound more intelligent. All this to chase likes and shares.

Is Buhari still the president? Is that not a harmless/innocent question? Who wired you zombies ? Who?

24 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 4:45pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

Is Buhari still the president? Is that not a harm/innocent question? Who wired you zombies ? Who?

Who wasted money sending you kids to school. You guys can't understand a basic word like Acting. A simple google search could answer an easy question like this. It makes me wonder how educated some of you guys really are.

Let me assist you since you can't find answer on your own. The first guy wanted likes. You just cant comprehend English.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by IhatesIGBOS: 4:52pm On May 30, 2017
OVI75:
Go nd ask yur family

48 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by chinoxstock: 4:53pm On May 30, 2017
Blue3k:

Who wasted money sending you kids to school. You guys can't understand a basic word like Acting. A simple google search could answer an easy question like this. IT makes me wonder how educated some of you guys really are.

Let me assist you since you can't find answer on your own.

So Buhari hands over power to osinbajo, Osibanjo becomes president and Buhari still retains his position? Even after handover?
Pseudointellect!

You think you know....but in reality you are as dumb as fùck.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 4:58pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

So Buhari hands over power to osinbajo, Osibanjo becomes president and Buhari still retains his position? Even after handover?
Pseudointellect!

You think you know....but in reality you are as dumb as fùck.

Digging the hole deeper for yourself congrats son. You don't know difference between acting and formal. Lol all that money wasted on your education. Retake your jamb boy. Osinbajo won't be president unless Buhari dies or steps down. Hence the title acting president.

The point of power transfer is do we dont have power vacuum yes he's still president. Please stay quiet for your own good. You've embarrassed yourself enough.

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by chinoxstock: 5:14pm On May 30, 2017
Blue3k:

Digging the hole deeper for yourself congrats son. You don't know difference between acting and formal. Lol all that money wasted on your education. Retake your jamb boy. Osinbajo won't be president unless Buhari dies or steps down. Hence the title acting president.

The point of power transfer is do we dont hsve power vacuum yes he's still president. Please stay quiet for your own good. You've embarrassed yourself enough.

Only God knows why you enjoy fooling yourself and displaying your stupidity.

As it stands now, Buhari is not the President, Osibanjo is. We cannot have 2Presidents. Even my 2 year old cousin can understand this (why is it hard for you to understand?)
And until Buhari writes to NASS, Buhari is not the President. Osibanjo is...

15 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 5:22pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

Only God knows why you enjoy fooling yourself and displaying your stupidity.

As it stands now, Buhari is not the President, Osibanjo is. We cannot have 2Presidents. Even my 2 year old cousin can understand this (why is it hard for you to understand?)
And until Buhari writes to NASS, Buhari is not the President. Osibanjo is...

Lol your tears amuse me son. Nobody said there are two presidents. There's the acting president and there's the president. He's acting because president is out. Simple question what is Buhari's title if he's not the President?

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by chinoxstock: 5:27pm On May 30, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol your tears amuse me son. Nobody said there are two presidents. The the acting president and theirs the president. He's acting because president is out. Simple question what is his title if he's not the President.

Haha..this one you are stammering to defend a vegetable so....Month don end o. Hope you don get alert...

Buhari is not the President of Nigeria...Osibanjo is..

14 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by austinvsb1(m): 6:06pm On May 30, 2017
3 hearings and Over one year later! You wann know nigeria's number one problem? Look no further than this set of legistative crooks and shameless thieves! A bill that would help in fighting corruption that definitely should have recieved immediate support & attention from sane minds was introduced in feb. 2016 and took more than a year and 3 hearings to pass.

Absolutely pathetic that the likes of Dino, Saraki et al are the ones elected to represent nigerians.

14 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Blue3k(m): 6:09pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

Haha..this one you are stammering to defend a vegetable so....Month don end o. Hope you don get alert...

Lol hope this hits front page. You're proof of the education system in Nigeria needs better funding. I'll ask again what is Buhari's title if he's not the President? Second what does Acting President Osinbajo call Buhari? I'll give u a clue it's not King, Master or God.

Dear Nigerians, I bring you good wishes from President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, who as we all know is away from the country on medical vacation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/full-text-of-ag-president-yemi-osinbajo-democracy-day-speech/

^^^ Yesterdays Democracy Day speach. Please explain how the acting president is wrong aswell.

Oildichotomy apologize to who ever wasted their hard earned money funding your education along with your brothers in thread.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by austinvsb1(m): 6:13pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

Completely ignoring the topic and pivoting to an absolute foolishness of a discourse! Dumb kids everywhere! I really hope you are not one of those clamouring for secession because any country that minds like yours help form is on high speed to DOOM. Complete irreparable DOOM

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Caustics: 7:02pm On May 30, 2017
angry
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Chiefly(m): 7:03pm On May 30, 2017
Leggy wink
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by profosenogoboy: 7:03pm On May 30, 2017
Just passing
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by tuoyoojo(m): 7:03pm On May 30, 2017
I would this would finally lead to "real" conviction and not just media trials
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by NwaAmaikpe: 7:03pm On May 30, 2017
Who is Buhari?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Oildichotomy(m): 7:04pm On May 30, 2017
I have issues with the proliferation of laws. Does that mean the thousands of Laws we have in Nigeria cannot stem corruption in its entirety already.

This duplication of laws gives lawyers the opportunity to look for precedent loopholes that they can exploit to win or delay cases.

I know these gra-gra by the Senate is to win the gullible to their side by appealing to their emotions telling them at least they did their jobs. We know how all these things go in Nigeria.

Not impressed maybe until they pass a law that proposes Capital punishment. All these ones na wash.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by PStacks(m): 7:04pm On May 30, 2017
Right step in the right direction..

even in sickness, the man is working..

Baba Buhari you are too much.

#SaiBaba

4 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by ephi321(f): 7:05pm On May 30, 2017
And that is how this thread will be derailed....rather than focusing on the details of this Bill.

One thing that is unclear is why is a Bill required to get international assistance with money laundering cases? Do the existing laws not imply this already? How about bodies like Interpol, where do they fall in all this? Blue3k, any idea?

What practical difference will this Bill make to existing and future cases?

The bill seeks to get relevant international assistance in cases of money laundering and provide framework for “other countries to assist in provision of and obtaining of evidence, making of arrangements for persons to give evidence”.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by badbreathcure101: 7:07pm On May 30, 2017
Tt
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Oildichotomy(m): 7:07pm On May 30, 2017
Blue3k:

Who wasted money sending you kids to school. You guys can't understand a basic word like Acting. A simple google search could answer an easy question like this. It makes me wonder how educated some of you guys really are.

Let me assist you since you can't find answer on your own. Th e first guy wanted likes. You just comprehend English.
You are actually fuming with the wrong comprehension. That question is as innocent as they come.

Pasting acting President definition confirms you did not get the President question asked

Blue3k - EDU 101
Before you tout education which I seriously doubt you had anyways. Somebody asked an apparent mischievous question instead of you to answer smartly and move along with your life. You went wackointellectually bonkers because it threatened your gullible political leanings, and fetish for Nairaland likes.

I can see your pay-per-post work have carefully eroded your common sense . Not that you had one.

Who am I kidding sef? Lemme come and be going

5 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 30, 2017
Sai baba!

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by Abudu2000(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2017
Tt
Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by hkidola00(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2017
our elders says WHEN THE HUNTERS LEARNS HOW TO SHOOT WITHOUT MISSING TARGET, THE BIRD MUST LEARN TO FLY INTELLIGENTLY

Re: Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill by miketayo(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2017
chinoxstock:

Kids!!
U better stop embarrassing urself on nairaland and face ur book

17 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Takes Selfie With Her Fans / Ogoniland Declares Independence!!! / APC Removes Okorocha As Imo Campaign Coordinator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.