Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,364 members, 7,954,477 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:59 PM

Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes (8823 Views)

Kano's 10 Megawatts Independent Project Is At 90% Completion Stage (Pictures) / 3,050 Megawatts Mambilla Power Project In Taraba (Pictured) / Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Segadem(m): 10:16am On Jun 01, 2017
grin
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by stevebond007(m): 10:16am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
Very ambitious but they should look at the feasibility. To generate 25MW of electricity from waste; you will need 400,000 tonnes of waste an hour to be fed into the system and This is using fluidized bed technology. Other technologies are less efficient and you get less energy. So imagine the amount of waste needed to generate 1000 MW. There is also competition for the suitable waste( waste with high calorific content) that the system needs. Plastics already being collected by pickers and used tyres. All they have left is organic waste and household waste which i doubt would be enough. Anyway lets watch and see

It would be more than enough
With the amount of waste ...
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by centmichael101(m): 10:17am On Jun 01, 2017
THANKING GOD for this GOODNEWS

1 Like

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Agumbankembu: 10:18am On Jun 01, 2017
Codyt:
Oh lord!!!!! Finally grin

Was beginning to think about when Nigeria would adopt this technique of generating electricity!

Nigeria would be great again wink wink

Gowon started this saying since 1970s and till today we his life remain one bar, we are still saying be same thing.

Meanwhile Kenya is doing wonderful things, we are only making Nigeria great by words of mouth

5 Likes

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Josmila(m): 10:18am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
Very ambitious but they should look at the feasibility. To generate 25MW of electricity from waste; you will need 400,000 tonnes of waste an hour to be fed into the system and This is using fluidized bed technology. Other technologies are less efficient and you get less energy. So imagine the amount of waste needed to generate 1000 MW. There is also competition for the suitable waste( waste with high calorific content) that the system needs. Plastics already being collected by pickers and used tyres. All they have left is organic waste and household waste which i doubt would be enough. Anyway lets watch and see

You sound like an expert in the field. So like you said, let's watch and see grin
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by greatermax77(m): 10:20am On Jun 01, 2017
Story for the gods
Its not the first time Nig governors signed one useless MOU on white elephate projects that will never see the light of day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Codyt(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2017
Agumbankembu:

Gowon started this saying since 1970s and till today we his life remain one bar, we are still saying be same thing.

Meanwhile Kenya is doing wonderful things, we are only making Nigeria great by words of mouth
Lol, the least I can say on the thread.....
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by natznext(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2017
ODVanguard:

I want to think that the experts involved in the project have done the requisite feasibility studies before arriving at the stated capacity. Also, bear in mind that in the last released report by an international organization, Waste Atlas (
http://www.atlas.d-waste.com/Documents/Waste-Atlas-report-2014-webEdition.pdf ), Ibadan alone was found to have two out of the largest waste dump sites in Nigeria (top 5), and also featured amongst the top 50 largest in the world -- for sometime now the city has produced increasing numbers of millionaires from amongst individuals operating within the waste management space. So it may indeed be feasible to generate that much energy from all that waste.

You need to see the waste dump site at Bodija isopako.. huge would be an understatement
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by onatisi(m): 10:26am On Jun 01, 2017
VoltageDivida:
We hope this project doesn't happen only on paper.
you already know the answer and the outcome of all this.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by erico2k2(m): 10:27am On Jun 01, 2017
Lubish . Instead of utilizing our already free Gas
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by natznext(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2017
Agumbankembu:

What we need to be is 'better than what we were yesterday' not better than Kenya..

Do you know about the Lagos railway project and the Oshodi Ultramodern transport interchange
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by natznext(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2017
Agumbankembu:

What we need to be is 'better than what we were yesterday' not better than Kenya..

Do you know about the Lagos railway project and the Oshodi Ultramodern transport interchange?
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Segadem(m): 10:29am On Jun 01, 2017
ODVanguard:

Perhaps that could be their business model. After all, you don't need to produce crude oil to own a viable refinery -- crude can always be imported to feed the facility.
hmmm, it may even get to a time that they will need to pay for a waste grin

1 Like

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Agumbankembu: 10:32am On Jun 01, 2017
natznext:

Do you know about the Lagos railway project and the Oshodi Ultramodern transport interchange

The Lagos railway they have used as an avenue for siphoning funds for straight 5 years.

You Lagosians claim over "woke" but can't ask what they used all the funds from over taxation to do.

By the way, Kenya's rail way line is from one end of the country to another, not a metropolitan rail line.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by lakes99: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2017
This "TO" headlines dey always weak me.
When are we going to start seeing "HAS" on headlines

grin grin grin grin
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Redman36(m): 10:34am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
we can always use d senators.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by LilSmith55(m): 10:40am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
If You Have Been To Oyo State Before, U Go Knw Say Oyo Even Fit Generate 10kMw... That Place Is Full Of Waste
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by natznext(m): 10:55am On Jun 01, 2017
Agumbankembu:

The Lagos railway they have used as an avenue for siphoning funds for straight 5 years.

You Lagosians claim over "woke" but can't ask what they used all the funds from over taxation to do.

By the way, Kenya's rail way line is from one end of the country to another, not a metropolitan rail line.

How many questions have you asked the leaders of where you're from?
How many times have you gotten answers?
How many cutting edge projects have been actualized?

Please don't bother answering these questions so you won't have to quote me again, I don't engage in region/tribe comparison
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by juman(m): 11:05am On Jun 01, 2017
Lies.

APC are liars.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by stankezzy: 11:06am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
as an engineer when I hear of such a thing especially by foreign companies to Africa I get angry , somebody ask that they must have done feasibility study , yes but because they think that we don't know any thing, they don't make use of it. this is just like an American firm that came to lagos 2 years ago saying that they will extract hydrogen and oxygen from air , combining it to form water , my people river niger and river benue plus smaller streams and water bodies we don drink am finish?
waste to energy is all about producing methane gas which is refined and used to fire gas turbines.
Brasil have the biggest waste to energy company , the pit is up to 2 football field and more than 100 meters depth , so u can imagine the waste that will be used to fill it.
In nigeria we have one of the biggest gas deposit that is free , we no fit use am, na to produce gas before use we go fit, rubbish
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Adesiji77: 11:09am On Jun 01, 2017
hatbricker:
The problem with this country, we are always about to, about to....

cheesy grin

Hilarious but sad and true at the same time...

1 Like

Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by dreamwords: 11:10am On Jun 01, 2017
Their brown roof alone from dilapidated structure can generate 1billion mw
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by nnaemmy(m): 11:10am On Jun 01, 2017
lol, coming from the one and only *CONSTITUTED AUTHORITY* a.k.a Gov Ajimobi

gringringringringringrin
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by rofanx13: 11:14am On Jun 01, 2017
this is a step in d right direction. but i stil doubt if a feasibility study was carried before signing d MOU. oyo state does nt have d capacity to generate waste that could generate such amount of energy. except they will import to supplement theirs. other states should emulate d governor's gesture to make our environment clean. d benefits are too many to mention. Rwanda is adjudged d cleanest country in africa because of their environmental policies, legislations and technology for transformation of waste. Nigeria remains one of d countries where "unwanted and discarded" are stil attached to d definition of waste.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by ArchiPelago1: 11:55am On Jun 01, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:

Even organic waste wont be enough because some of us are already turning it to Biogas
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by damosade(m): 11:55am On Jun 01, 2017
Yinmu, is it not my state? Come back after 5 years. Still the same MOU.. I swear. Is it not the same state that abandoned hydro turbine that could generate over 1000 MW at ikere Goge dam via ISEYIN since 1985.. Till today the turbine is there rotten away.. I cry for my country Nigeria.
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by okoliexpress: 12:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
Benekruku:
Ekiti state can generate more than that if the waste coming out of Fayose's mouth can be judiciously utilised!
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Enyimbamercedes: 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
Redman36:
we can always use d senators.

True talk...they are full of poo. Very high calorific content
Re: Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes by Enyimbamercedes: 1:18pm On Jun 01, 2017
stankezzy:
as an engineer when I hear of such a thing especially by foreign companies to Africa I get angry , somebody ask that they must have done feasibility study , yes but because they think that we don't know any thing, they don't make use of it. this is just like an American firm that came to lagos 2 years ago saying that they will extract hydrogen and oxygen from air , combining it to form water , my people river niger and river benue plus smaller streams and water bodies we don drink am finish?
waste to energy is all about producing methane gas which is refined and used to fire gas turbines.
Brasil have the biggest waste to energy company , the pit is up to 2 football field and more than 100 meters depth , so u can imagine the waste that will be used to fill it.
In nigeria we have one of the biggest gas deposit that is free , we no fit use am, na to produce gas before use we go fit, rubbish

Not necessarily methane gas. It's actually boilers! The waste is incinerated to generate heat which in turn boils water to generate steam which then drives turbines to generate electricity. You see why the calorific content is essential. You can have a lot of waste but if it's just construction waste or e-waste or paper waste then you don't get an efficient system. The technology is key! Fluidised bed will be the ideal technology as this even handles liquid sludge from sewage and you know the South West will have a lot of this from lots of amala tongue...just kidding...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N4.8trn Bad Debt: Senate To Allow AMCON Publish Debtors’ List / When Ogundipe Was Meant To Be President, Only Ojukwu Supported Him / 2023 Presidency: Stop Using Biafra Agitation Against Igbo — Ohanaeze Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.