Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,544 members, 7,837,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) (34477 Views)

Okorocha: I Don't Know If Rainfall In Imo Is Acidic, It Has Destroyed All Roads / Senator Akpabio Chooses Broom Over Umbrella During Rainfall In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by realestniggah: 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2017
and some people will still come here to praise ibori and say he is the best thing that ever happen to them.

these are things he should have done under his adminstration..rather he embezzled the state fund and went to jail..but came back to receive an heroic welcome
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by frankyvalll(m): 2:51pm On Jun 01, 2017
hmm, this has been the situation for some years now. even many houses were flooded with rain water yesterday. asaba has water storage not drainage because it does not flow
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
Waoh. A city under water. An oil producing state with 13% derivation. Where is the money.
This is human disaster
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Abeyjide: 3:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
our governor is working
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Toay(m): 3:07pm On Jun 01, 2017
That's serious
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by soliddust2020: 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2017
preshdawesome:
I was one of those affected by d rain yesterday
It was not funny oo undecided

Me too. yesterday was not funny at all, one of the worst days living in Asaba. state govt will spend the next two weeks bring out sand from the so called failed drainage system. No end in sight for this problem. Okowa no go see this one na to they commission hotels upandan e know.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by MobilityMFR(m): 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
What is wrong with having a working drainage system? It's a shame on the Government of Delta State! If that is Asaba (supposedly a planned city), then what is expected in the rural areas where people build indiscriminately? lipsrsealed
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by soliddust2020: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2017
slurryeye2:
Seriously, what has Okowa done as governor of delta state?

so much. He commissioned the a quest fm a private radio station, mega filling station, copperfield hotel, Leisure park hotels. Okowa is seriously working and busy commissioning projects. I will invite okowa to commission akara joint near my house. Okowa the best thing to happen to delta state since the invention of bread and butter.

Okowa till 2023
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by buchilino(m): 3:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
oviejnr:
Delta state in general lacks drainage pattern grin

Do not quote me, I repeat do not quote me!

IF DATS UR PICTURE, UR NOT BAD LOOKING.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Austinio: 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2017
okpanam road from inter bue junction
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by enomakos(m): 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2017
this country sucks
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Iamwrath: 3:31pm On Jun 01, 2017
LalaLushness:

So sad sad

nallmej:
Mhmmm.. D rain these days

Evablizin:
God this is very unhealthy and disastrous,what is the governor doing is he planning to buy canoe for them or building a better drainage?

djaybaba:
so sad.

So you won't blame Buhari for this as well ?

that's funny considering ...
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by joenor(m): 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2017
The rain sha, nor be beans ooo, the one at refinery road for warri, na deadlyn
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by tutudesz: 3:47pm On Jun 01, 2017
jieta:
one day we will take the bold step just like how Edo people chase PDP out of Edo state.
It about time we vote PDP out,because their is not to show for the 18 years of PDP rule in Delta. Imagine how many billions have been spent on asaba alone and the end result is this.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
ivolt:

Fixed

I anticipated people like you will misunderstand me. Zealots. River Niger surrounds Asaba and it is close by. This is one of the states that receive large chunks in federal allocation. There should be no excuse.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Joshrob(m): 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2017
Most road in delta state don't have drainage system..sometimes when I see that constructing a road without making any drainage system,I wander the kind of engineer that handle such contracts..
I wander if they are not seeing the way they construct roads in Lagos state?..they first dig good drainage system that can carry enough water when it's rain..even if there's flood within 30mins the rain stop,every where is normal again..
Sometimes i regret coming from that state,what all the money in that state nothing to be proud of..nothing is working..smh
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by blacknp(m): 3:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
ifex370:
16 years of bad leadership is the worst curse...

I pray for okowa.. It won't be easy for him.. lipsrsealed
But isn't okowa part of the criminal legacy?
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by MASTERMIND04(m): 4:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
finnestdope:
issokay...

but wait oh, its looks like a swimming pool grin grin cheesy
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Harmvirus(f): 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
The problem with Asaba is poor drainage system. Especially that DLA road. My NYSC days there was hell. Whenever the cloud changes, we pray it doesn't rain because of the disaster it would cause.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by trumpclinton247: 4:53pm On Jun 01, 2017
jieta:
one day we will take the bold step just like how Edo people chase PDP out of Edo state.
........rigging election by Apc is not chasing out....people consent and right was snatched from them by those they sent to represent them...i pity this country....Oshomole trying to impress his master from North....likewise Okorocha in imo state....we know and wont forget ....peoples willing taken away from them and we still call it democracy
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by mockingdove: 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
U cant c dis in uyo
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by nextstep(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2017
I've tried to understand this issue in Asaba and I think there are several problems, and not all of it is government's fault:

1. The primary issue is that Asaba is down hill, relative to everywhere else in the region. All of the rain - from Ogwashi, Igbusa, Isele-Azagba, Okpanam - eventually runs down towards the Niger River and goes through Asaba on its way, overwhelming any drainage designed to handle only that city's rainfall.

2. There is a lot of uncovered, unprotected land in and around Asaba. A lot of the roads are also unpaved, or heavily damaged, which exposes the soil to runoff. This means a lot of erosion from uphill ends up clogging Asaba drains. We need to pave more, plant grass and build retaining walls that prevent all that sand from flowing down. Even on the Asaba-Benin-Lagos expressway, you'll see lots of clay soil coming down into the highway in several places.

3. Residents think it's a good idea to throw their garbage into the flowing water which further clogs up the drainage

4. Since the Niger river rises significantly during the rainy season, the water table rises with it, slowing or even preventing drainage down hill.

5. As we learned in primary school, clay is almost impervious to water, which means unlike many places, the water doesn't drain into the ground as quickly; couple this with the already full water-table, and you have standing water for days.

These are all surmountable - and not unique to Asaba - but I just wanted to provide a little more insight that goes beyond abusing government. In my opinion government needs to understand the unique conditions of rain/water table/soil type in Delta, and hire bright people who can solve it.

2 Likes

Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by 7ran53nd: 5:21pm On Jun 01, 2017
it will only get worse because people are building everyday and the new commercial areas being developed (Okpanam) is sitting on a basin. You'll be amazed when you find out where all that water comes from. The earlier the govt tackles this issue, the better. Waiting for later will only make things worse. Runoff has overwhelmed the drainage system already. What Okpanam road needs is a massive underground system that will be channeled through Marble Hills and the road opposite School of Midwifery to a canal across the express all the way to the Niger on Ibusa side or a very ambitious channel running under the road to discharge into the Niger behind FMC. Such projects are better done when a place is still developing not after people have planted approved structures everywhere and you can no longer pay compensation anymore because it is too much.

1 Like

Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
How I wish they could have governor in this state. Like Benue, like Delta state... Governor's seat is vacant
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by 7ran53nd: 5:36pm On Jun 01, 2017
nextstep:
I've tried to understand this issue in Asaba and I think there are several problems, and not all of it is government's fault:

1. The primary issue is that Asaba is down hill, relative to everywhere else in the region. All of the rain - from Ogwashi, Igbusa, Isele-Azagba, Okpanam - eventually runs down towards the Niger River and goes through Asaba on its way, overwhelming any drainage designed to handle only that city's rainfall.

2. There is a lot of uncovered, unprotected land in and around Asaba. A lot of the roads are also unpaved, or heavily damaged, which exposes the soil to runoff. This means a lot of erosion from uphill ends up clogging Asaba drains. We need to pave more, plant grass and build retaining walls that prevent all that sand from flowing down. Even on the Asaba-Benin-Lagos expressway, you'll see lots of clay soil coming down into the highway in several places.

3. Residents think it's a good idea to throw their garbage into the flowing water which further clogs up the drainage

4. Since the Niger river rises significantly during the rainy season, the water table rises with it, slowing or even preventing drainage down hill.

5. As we learned in primary school, clay is almost impervious to water, which means unlike many places, the water doesn't drain into the ground as quickly; couple this with the already full water-table, and you have standing water for days.

These are all surmountable - and not unique to Asaba - but I just wanted to provide a little more insight that goes beyond abusing government. In my opinion government needs to understand the unique conditions of rain/water table/soil type in Delta, and hire bright people who can solve it.

Good points there bro! The second point highlights a problem that will render every work downhill (Okpanam road) useless. Silt. If the adjoining roads and streets to Okpanam road are not paved, nothing will work on that road because silt will eventually block the drains. You can hide from that.
Then the issue of garbage dumping.. ah that one.. SMH, I see that often especially around Midwifery market. I saw one aboki orange seller one evening dumping his orange skins into the drain and mehn, the sight was annoying, same with those market women. This time of corn is the WORST.
Rising level of the Niger won't be much of an issue if you're planning a drain system as even the 2012 floods didn't affect the town itself. Just those very low areas along the rivers edge.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by ifex370(m): 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2017
blacknp:
But isn't okowa part of the criminal legacy?

He looks like he's part but bear in mind that he was supposed to rule before uduaghan.. He was the presumptuous king in the North.. Deltan

Ibori lobbied for his cousin rather..

Its not about them being together.. Its about what he wants for the state..

The last 2 governors had no interest whatsoever for deltans.. At least okowa looks to be trying
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by charlsecy(m): 6:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
This is not about government or leadership issues; it is about what seems to be a bad pattern of Asaba people not constructing a drainage system after building houses. Most South-South zones seem to have a bad culture of not building drainage systems. You cannot blame the government for that.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by dumie(f): 6:35pm On Jun 01, 2017
realestniggah:
and some people will still come here to praise ibori and say he is the best thing that ever happen to them.

these are things he should have done under his adminstration..rather he embezzled the state fund and went to jail..but came back to receive an heroic welcome
His successor's (Udughan and Okowa) what have they done for Deltan state? I guess they are just there for decoration
Meanwhile ibori received an heroic welcome becos all infrastructure in the state till date are those built by him

3 Likes

Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
So heavy rain and flood is now Okowa's fault.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by reiddecuti: 6:55pm On Jun 01, 2017
Black man and underdevelopment be like 5 & 6.
Re: Aftermath Of Heavy Rainfall In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) by solpat(m): 8:56pm On Jun 01, 2017
Asaba don cast this rainy season

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

David Mark Makes U-turn, Joins Presidential Race / Akeredolu & Oshiomhole Receive Buhari In Ondo On His Way To Ekiti Apc Rally(pics / Goodluck Jonathan Arrives Seoul, South Korea, Warmly Received By Nigerian Embass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.