Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) (30921 Views)

Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji, Bishop Of Ahiara Mbaise Imo Resumes Duty / Peter Okpaleke Resigns As Bishop Of Ahiara Diocese, Mbaise In Imo / Ahiara Diocese Crisis; Pope Francis' Representative Arrives Nigeria. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by PrettyCrystal: 8:30am On Jun 09, 2017
Pope Francis has intervened in an ethnic crisis involving the Nigerian town of , Imo state , whose bishop, Peter Ebere Okpaleke, appointed by Benedict XVI in 2012, is unwanted by lay people and priests of the diocese. Though Okpaleke is an Igbo from Anambra State, the Catholic leaders in Ahiara rejected him because he is not an Igbo man from Mbaise.

The Vatican Insider said the pope received on Wednesday a delegation from the Diocese of Ahiara, accompanied by Archbishop of Abuja and apostolic administrator of Ahiara, Cardinal John O. Onaiyekan.

Others at the meeting were Metropolitan Archbishop of Owerri, Monsignor Anthony Obinna, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, Monsignor Ignatius Kaigama, and the Bishop of Ahiara, Bishop Okpaleke.

Priests Clement O. Ebii, Jude N. Uwalaka, Uhuegbu Innocent Olekamma, Sister Bernadette O. Ezeyi and Stanley Pius Iwu, chief of the staff were also part of the delegation.

After a pilgrimage to the tombs of the Apostles Peter and Paul and a visit to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, the Nigerian delegation attended the Pope’s private Mass celebration.

The delegation had previously met with Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Fernando Filoni, and the superiors of the same dicastery, with whom the Church’s situation in Ahiara was widely examined.

Pope Francis spoke of the inadmissibility of the situation in Ahiara and reserved to take the appropriate measures.

He said he was entrusting the Diocese of Ahiara to the motherly care of Mary.”

It was Benedict XVI who appointed Monsignor Okpaleke in 2012, only to meet a storm of opposition by the leaders and congregation. He was not even allowed to hold mass in the church.

His predecessor, late Victor Adibe Chikwe, came from Mbaise and was accepted by the worshippers, because he was son of the soil.

Pope Francis appointed John O. Onaiyekan apostolic administrator since July 2013. But the crisis has lingered.

Since Okpaleke’s appointment in 2012, the priests and Catholic faithful from Mbaise had insisted they wanted a Bishop of Mbaise extraction.

Nonetheless, Okpaleke was ordained a Bishop on May 21, 2013 in Owerri, the mother Diocese to Ahiara Diocese.

NAN

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/06/ahiara-church-crisis-pope-francis-meets-nigerian-archbishops.html

2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by PrettyCrystal: 8:31am On Jun 09, 2017
cc; lalasticlala
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by madridguy(m): 8:32am On Jun 09, 2017
undecided
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by ojun50(m): 8:34am On Jun 09, 2017
r
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by rejosom(m): 8:34am On Jun 09, 2017
chai see f.up

I book space finish I no come know when we reach front page.

Anyways I was born and raised a Catholic in this Ahiara diocese but this division in the church we were thought is one..... Ainoonoo.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Evablizin(f): 8:40am On Jun 09, 2017
Anti-biafrans una food don ready make i cocoma park well

17 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by LifeofClinton(m): 9:01am On Jun 09, 2017
Igboa always have internal fights among themselves ..seriously I wonder how Biafra is going to work...when a man from imo does not like a man from anambra

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by IHEJIRIKAisBOKO: 10:54am On Jun 09, 2017
When it comes to religious tolerance give it to the Yoruba's. It is only in Yorubaland that you will find a Church, a Mosque, and a Shrine in the same street. I stand to be corrected, but you cannot find such anywhere else in Nigeria. It is only in a Yoruba family that you will find memebers of different faith living peacefully together. Others should emulate the Yoruba's in the area of respect and peaceful coexistence

A friend of mine who served in Anambra State, Aguata Local Goverment presicely, told me about the sharp divison and hatred that exist between the igbo churches in igboland.

Anglican igbos versus Catholic igbos
Methodist igbos versus Baptist igbos
Lutheran igbos versus Presbyterian igbos
Reformation igbos versus Protestant igbos
Orthodox igbos versus pentecostal igbos

144 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 09, 2017
Wonderful...!

The Pope Must Hear This!
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by chynie: 10:54am On Jun 09, 2017
mbaise people, fear them o
Naw they want to dedicate who will be bishop in their diocese

anyway there is an adage that says
''if u see snake and an mbaise man,kill the mbaise man first before the snake''

no be me talk am o

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by hezy4real01(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Small time they will say they want to own their own Republic abi..... Thank you Pope

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
good one
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by PenisCaP: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Nice one from pope.

LifeofClinton:
Igboa always have internal fights among themselves ..seriously I wonder how Biafra is going to work...when a man from imo does not like a man from anambra

U are always talkin balderdash..
As if yorubas are at peace.. the last i check.
Ur oba Lilwayne and oone of ife ar fighting.

And ijebu man seeing himself as the REAL yoruba man while ekiti man is an inferior yoruba. undecided
Dnt be a hypocrite bro.

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by ObaKlaz: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Yawns... *walks outta thread*

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by PearlStreet(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Anambra against Enugu, Imo against Abia, All of them against Ebonyi. Within Abia, you have Ngwa against Abriba. In Imo, Owerri against Mbaise.
You can't live in peace with others and you're up in arms against your own brothers.

That is exactly why the Hausas have given the igbos quit notice to go back to the SE and learn home training.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by jaytime(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Hmmm even among them oooo
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
Evablizin:
Anti-biafrans una food don ready make i cocoma park well

Wetin carry Biafra matter for church matter?

You this tribal e-warrior...abeg go and take your boyfriend or is it girlfriend out for Guinness and roasted suya tonight...I think you need it well well.

On a more serious note....tribalism is a serious issue in the Nigerian Church and not just the Catholic Church. And not only that...serious infighting amongst followers of Cleric A vs Cleric B. We are witnesses to the infighting in Assemblies of God church in Nigeria..to give an example .....and how it almost rent that church/denomination apart.

The Church of God must face the sin of tribalism today. Kudos to Pope Francis for beginning to sort out the issue in the Nigerian Catholic Church. Other churches/denominations should follow suit.

Because in Chirst...there is no Greek, Jew, slave, etc...but Christ is in all (Colossians 3 VS 11)

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by TINALETC3(f): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
undecided
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by dolphinife: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2017
So ethnic colouration has been brought into priest selection and posting in Catholic Churches too??

For the fact that he's an Igbo man, his fellow Igbo men and women still rejected him on the bases that he's not frm their town....

What would Jesus do if he were to be alive

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by maynation(f): 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Igbos at war with themselves, na like this una one get Biafra?

6 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by NameCheckers: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Daddy yo kiss
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by etinanguy(m): 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Boi Boi 4 life.

8 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Wordsmith01: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Gaudium cum pace
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by kygo(m): 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
They hate themselves that much and complain of marginalisation outside. . .go put youq homes in order first

7 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by NameCheckers: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
maynation:
Igbos at war with themselves, na like this unable one get Biafra?
Skull miners will soon mine ur brain

7 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by NwaAmaikpe: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
sad
Pope should just respect himself.

Ahiara Catholics no get joy
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Partnerbiz3: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Church and politics 5 and 7.

See below for data shaa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christians And Muslims Celebrate Christmas Together In Kaduna (Photo) / Naira Appreciation: Apostle Johnson Suleman Blasts Nigerians That Are Unhappy / Daddy Freeze Replies Nairalander Who Said Jesus Christ Approved Tithing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.