Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) (30939 Views)

Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji, Bishop Of Ahiara Mbaise Imo Resumes Duty / Peter Okpaleke Resigns As Bishop Of Ahiara Diocese, Mbaise In Imo / Ahiara Diocese Crisis; Pope Francis' Representative Arrives Nigeria. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by DEBJOCH1(m): 2:00pm On Jun 09, 2017
BroZuma:
Wonderful...!

The Pope Must Hear This!

You Just wrote this trash through your annus, still fresh in our mind is the incident which occurred in Ekiti state where some Egugu worshipers attacked some innocents Muslims right inside Thor Miques
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
IGBOS and HATRED undecided

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 09, 2017
DEBJOCH1:

You Just wrote this trash through your annus, still fresh in our mind is the incident which occurred in Ekiti state where some Egugu worshipers attacked some innocents Muslims right inside Thor Miques

Are you intellectually​ challenged?
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by ipobbigot7: 2:12pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
When it comes to religious tolerance give it to the Yoruba's. It is only in Yorubaland that you will find a Church, a Mosque, and a Shrine in the same street. I stand to be corrected, but you cannot find such anywhere else in Nigeria. It is only in a Yoruba family that you will find memebers of differet faith, living peacefully together. Others should emulate the Yoruba's in the area of respect and peaceful coexistence

A friend of mine who served in Anambra State, Aguta Local Goverment presicely, told me about the sharp divison and hatred that exist between the igbo churches in igboland.

Anglican igbos versus Catholic igbos
Methodist igbos versus Baptist igbos
Lutheran igbos versus Presbyterian igbos
Reformation igbos versus Protestant igbos
Orthodox igbos versus pentecostal igbos

The peaceful co-existence in Yoruba land transcend the religion, Yoruba land and the Yorubas are the most accommodating of all tribes, i equally stand to be corrected. The advance civilization of the Yorubas can easily be traced to be responsible for this.

The sharp division and the hatred among the Igbos is also beyond the issues among the churches. Even among the very same family, in politics, business and mention it. Hates runs in their veins.

Guys this your moniker is suspicious.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by cruzyteejay(m): 2:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
NLPsychologist:

I suppose you are referring to this ideology...of only wanting someone from there to head the church...

I believe that's the height of tribalism and sectarianism. Under the climes of politics (which you are rendering from) that is actually the norm. This is CHURCH for petes sake! The priest is not reading an Mbaise Bible, singing Mbaise hymns and preaching Mbaise christianity.

Actually this should 'clear your eyes' as to the level of the penetration of discord amongst your people and Nigerians generally. Also, that you brought the instance of family members being the ones to chose their leader( when it's Church we're talking about) further points how you have digressed from the original norm of Christianity.
Good one,let me state this categorically,gone are the days when the head of the church is divinely appointed...its m ore of a political scene nowadays,hence the disagreements.....and u have to know that politics is also involved in the church,it all depends on ur definition of politics......who the people decide is the one that will rule them,and thats just about the best solution to all........and the fact that some other people accepted theirs doesn't mean that its the norm,the said person may have been with them and they liked him......don't be surprised that they may allow someone from another place to oversee them,it all depends on their choice
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by fippycbk(m): 2:35pm On Jun 09, 2017
nkemdi89:

Talk true say una family no get one father?
Madam you just make assumptions. We have no Catholic in my kindred we are all Anglicans. Talk another thing.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by JayB11(m): 2:52pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
When it comes to religious tolerance give it to the Yoruba's. It is only in Yorubaland that you will find a Church, a Mosque, and a Shrine in the same street. I stand to be corrected, but you cannot find such anywhere else in Nigeria. It is only in a Yoruba family that you will find memebers of different faith living peacefully together. Others should emulate the Yoruba's in the area of respect and peaceful coexistence

A friend of mine who served in Anambra State, Aguata Local Goverment presicely, told me about the sharp divison and hatred that exist between the igbo churches in igboland.

LOL.... Abeg come Adamawa State, apart from d Fulani people n its dialects, we have d non fulani which are referred to as Kabila. Kabila are the majority in the state, dominating all LGAs. In a Kabila family, u can find 1st born to be a Xtain, 2nd to be a Muslim, grand parents both Muslims bt parents are Christians. Adamawa is unlike Yobe, Borno, Gombe n others wia an attempt to defect will cause ur life.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 09, 2017
cruzyteejay:
Good one,let me state this categorically,gone are the days when the head of the church is divinely appointed...its m ore of a political scene nowadays,hence the disagreements.....and u have to know that politics is also involved in the church,it all depends on ur definition of politics......who the people decide is the one that will rule them,and that's just about the best solution to all........and the fact that some other people accepted theirs doesn't mean that its the norm,the said person may have been with them and they liked him......don't be surprised that they may allow someone from another place to oversee them,it all depends on their choice

Its Ok. But are we going to improve on ourselves or ride along with the tide of corruption and degeneration of values?
Know that if continues its going to bear more ugly children...and these children when they start rearing their faces around the communities,
l hope the blame will not fall on the zoo.

This is why people shouldn't be quick in assuming all who criticize Igbos hate them. When it is time for Yorubas or Hausas or Yahoo-yahoo people to be on the spotlight of criticism, they will all face their respective times on the spotlight. This is important so everyone will not depart from sanity. Condemn whoever deserves it! But be wise as a serpent, and harmless as a dove.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Shaev7(m): 3:17pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
When it comes to religious tolerance give it to the Yoruba's. It is only in Yorubaland that you will find a Church, a Mosque, and a Shrine in the same street. I stand to be corrected, but you cannot find such anywhere else in Nigeria. It is only in a Yoruba family that you will find memebers of different faith living peacefully together. Others should emulate the Yoruba's in the area of respect and peaceful coexistence

A friend of mine who served in Anambra State, Aguata Local Goverment presicely, told me about the sharp divison and hatred that exist between the igbo churches in igboland.

I stand with you! You are 99.9999999% right.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:

You're not far from the truth. Infact that's it
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2017
Biggest tribal bigots; thats why north no want them again.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2017
Andrewkinggg:

Sigh sad
It will be my pleasure to remind you that few weeks back in ekiti state some traditionalist went into a mosque to beat muslims out of their mosque.. Where's the religious tolerant there??
What he's saying is that it's religious intolerance is rampant in the east than in the west. It doesn't mean there are no divisions but it's not as rampant as the south east
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by cruzyteejay(m): 3:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
NLPsychologist:

Its Ok. But are we going to improve on ourselves or ride along with the tide of corruption and degeneration of values?
Know that if continues its going to bear more ugly children...and these children when they start rearing their faces around the communities,
l hope the blame will not fall on the zoo.

This is why people shouldn't be quick in assuming all who criticize Igbos hate them. When it is time for Yorubas or Hausas or Yahoo-yahoo people to be on the spotlight of criticism, they will all face their respective times on the spotlight. This is important so everyone will not depart from sanity. Condemn whoever deserves it! But be wise as a serpent, and harmless as a dove.
i get your point bro,just that i hate the way nairalanders do go about such things,tribalising and ethnicising almost everything....treated this issue like its an igbo thing,meanwhile in reality its everywhere,just that some do keep theirs from outsiders,and thats what the igbos lack.........we can only try to make things better.....#ONE_LOVE

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by cruzyteejay(m): 3:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
asuustrike2009:

What he's saying is that it's religious intolerance is rampant in the east than in the west. It doesn't mean there are no divisions but it's not as rampant as the south east
must you defend everything?.........have you ever heard that muslims clashed with christians or christians clashing with pagans in the whole of south east?.....stop trading sentiments just to score cheap points,see every case as it is because sentiments only destroy the individual that trails its part...shalom
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
cruzyteejay:
must you defend everything?.........have you ever heard that muslims clashed with christians or christians clashing with pagans in the whole of south east?.....stop trading sentiments just to score cheap points,see every case as it is because sentiments only destroy the individual that trails its part...shalom
The truth is bitter to swallow. It doesn't change the fact that there is disagreement among the Christian folk over there. As a matter of fact nollywood produced a movie of that nature called Christian marriage. YouTube will assist you on that.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by gabrielokeke555(m): 4:30pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:

what do you understand by the word Protestants??.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by franugo(m): 4:53pm On Jun 09, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:

I'm currently serving in anambra, aguata LGA, oraeri town to be precise n I can tell you dt I have not noticed any form of "sharp division or hatred" between churches here...I never notice any discomfort between churches n mosques self not to talk of between churches
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Nickymezor(f): 5:10pm On Jun 09, 2017
Gosh, more reasons to hate those Mba5 people... Hmmm I'm highly disappointed dat priests wld stoop so low to discriminate too undecided
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by AuroraB(f): 5:28pm On Jun 09, 2017
Aaaaaaaaah shocked
This is a rude shock angry
Why is this happening
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Butterworth: 5:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
LifeofClinton:
Igboa always have internal fights among themselves ..seriously I wonder how Biafra is going to work...when a man from imo does not like a man from anambra

Check out this war between Yoruba brothers

https://www.nairaland.com/864525/yoruba-kiriji-wars-1877-1893

http://ioaliu..co.za/2014/10/history-of-yoruba-civil-wars-1877-1893_2.html?m=1

Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 5:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
It's pure madness on the part of those misleading the youths. I have so many Mbaise friends that care less about whether their Bishop is from Mars or Jupiter but some clannish politicians are the ones fuelling the madness. This further alienates them from their neighbours and other Igbos.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Syncan(m): 5:53pm On Jun 09, 2017
"Therefore, I ask that every priest or ecclesiastic incardinated in the Diocese of Ahiara, whether he resides there or works elsewhere, even abroad, write a letter addressed to me in which he asks for forgiveness; all must write individually and personally. We all must share this common sorrow. In the letter
1.one must clearly manifest total obedience to the Pope, and
2.whoever writes must be willing to accept the Bishop whom the Pope sends and has appointed.
3.The letter must be sent within 30 days, from today to July 9th, 2017. Whoever does not do this will be ipso facto suspended a divinis and will lose his current office.
This seems very hard, but why must the Pope do this? Because the people of God are scandalized. Jesus reminds us that whoever causes scandal must suffer the consequences. Maybe someone has been manipulated without having full awareness of the wound inflicted upon the ecclesial communion.
To you brothers and sisters, I would like to express my sincere thanks for your presence; and also to Cardinal Onaiyekan for his patience and to Bishop Okpaleke, whose patience and humility I admire. Thank you all". (Agenzia Fides, 09/06/2017)" ....Pope Francis.

http://www.fides.org/en/news/62436
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Chinagurum1995(m): 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2017
OK at Least we need Faith for our Roman Catholic Church in our Home state Imo State and all over in Nigeria. O Our Lady Queen of Nigeria pray for our Nation Africa, Nigeria, and Biafra for peace. cheesy
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Arnoldo(m): 7:59pm On Jun 09, 2017
chynie:
mbaise people, fear them o
Naw they want to dedicate who will be bishop in their diocese

anyway there is an adage that says
''if u see snake and an mbaise man,kill the mbaise man first before the snake''

no be me talk am o
Mbaise produced the highest number of priests in west africa but when it comes to ordaining the bishops it is politicised thats why they dissagreed. there are very old priests from the town due to be ordained bishop but no! cardinal arinze will nominate someone from his town.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by chynie: 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2017
Arnoldo:
Mbaise produced the highest number of priests in west africa but when it comes to ordaining the bishops it is politicised thats why they dissagreed. there are very old priests from the town due to be ordained bishop but no! cardinal arinze will nominate someone from his town.
U seeeeeeee mbaise
U ppl cunny die cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by MrGerald(m): 8:06pm On Jun 09, 2017
hezy4real01:
Small time they will say they want to own their own Republic abi..... Thank you Pope
And so, what about that?
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Arnoldo(m): 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
chynie:

U seeeeeeee mbaise
U ppl cunny die cheesy cheesy cheesy
lols.. we dont just fold our hands and get cheated
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by chynie: 8:18pm On Jun 09, 2017
Arnoldo:
lols.. we dont just fold our hands and get cheated
Una bad gan
But don't take politics into church
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by Allstrasse: 8:54pm On Jun 09, 2017
Ichietome:

Am an igbo but I must say I so much love your writeup. We igbo are too sentimental. Imagine rejecting a bishop appointed by the Supreme pontiff just because he has 's not from your home town. What makes it more sickening is the involvement of the clergy, can you imagine that!? What happened to the vow of perpetual poverty and complete obedience to the church. In fact bro, am speechless.
This is disgusting. It is really disgusting.

Your postulation is rather misleading.

In societies such as the "universal" catholic church and indeed other large sects and human communities and groupings the head of the organisation does not appoint the Bishop or other leaders by divine guidance as are wont to believe but rather through recommendations that may or not be wholesome. These appointments are usually a direct reflection of serious manipulationsand scheming which may come in the form of lobbying, politiking, bribery and even blackmail.

The Ahiara episcopal debacle has haunted the catholic church for not a few years now. Bishop Okpaleke was foisted on the people of Ahiara by His eminence, Arinze who is a first class prince of the church and whose prodigies/prebends have benefitted from his share of the universal largesse as distributed by the oapacy to its faithful through its hierachy.

It was an unfair and very disparaging eventuality.

Mbaise is one of the most populous catholic domains in Nigeria. They deserve to have their own Bishop especially considering the their contribution to the church and its evolution. With over 600 priests, surely there has to be one qualified or favored for that position.

This grandstanding by Arinze and his cohorts is to the detriment of the church in Ahiara. Howrver the church in its characteristic "wisdom" will adopt a no victor no vanquished approach. Comoromises will be reached and the matter will die with no loss of face to Ahiara or Okpaleke or his mentor Arinze.
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by LifeofClinton(m): 12:22am On Jun 10, 2017
PenisCaP:
Nice one from pope.

U are always talkin balderdash..
As if yorubas are at peace.. the last i check.
Ur oba Lilwayne and oone of ife ar fighting.

And ijebu man seeing himself as the REAL yoruba man while ekiti man is an inferior yoruba. undecided
Dnt be a hypocrite bro.
dude I'm from Delta ..ain't being an hypocrite. .just saying what I know ..No tribe is perfect
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by LifeofClinton(m): 12:25am On Jun 10, 2017
freshinko:
Shut up!! Have you settled the one in your family? ODE!!
shut up punk ..I ain't gat time for lunatics like you ..so buzz of
Re: Pope Francis Intervenes In Ahiara Imo Church Ethnic Crisis (Photos) by LifeofClinton(m): 12:26am On Jun 10, 2017
SirMazi:

Tell me more about Ile ife and modakeke,always spewing rubbish
nobody's perfect man...but if the igbos wanna achieve Biafra they should be more United than other ethnic groups

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Lesego Daniels Gives Flowers To Members To Eat. Photos / Sexual Temptations And The Movie Industry / Ebube Muonso’s 10,000 Capacity Church Dedicated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.