Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,691 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) (49871 Views)

Top 10 Most Iconic University Senate Buildings In Africa (photos) / 7 Universities That Offer Criminology In Nigeria And Everything You Need To Know / Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ThisTrend(f): 5:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
Not even one Nigerian university made the list of the top 7 universities in Africa and while this will not come as a surprise to many people, it is quite sad.

This new listing released by way of QS has little or no surprises with the University of Cape town, at the pinnacle and at rank 191 in the world ranking of universities.

Stellenbosch University is the second best university in Africa and ranks at number 361 in the world, while the American University in Cairo is at number 4 in Africa.

The ranking by QS is based on factors such as academic reputation, citations per faculty, employer reputation and other factors. Below is the list of the 7 top universities in Africa:

1. University of Cape Town
The University of Cape Town is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa.

2. Stellenbosch University
Stellenbosch University is a public research university situated in Stellenbosch, a town in South Africa.

Stellenbosch is jointly the oldest university in South Africa and the oldest extant university in Sub-Saharan Africa alongside the University of Cape Town which received full university status on the same day in 1918.

3. University of the Witwatersrand
The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, is a multi-campus SouthAfrican public research university situated in the northern areas of central Johannesburg. It is more commonly known as Wits University.

4. The American University in Cairo
The American University in Cairo is an independent, English language, research university located in Cairo, Egypt.

5. Cairo University
Cairo University is Egypt's premier public university. Its main campus is in Giza, immediately across the Nile from Cairo.

6. University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria is a multi-campus public research university in Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa.

7. University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg, known colloquially as UJ is a public university located in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The University of Johannesburg came into existence on 1 January 2005 as the result of a merger between the Rand Afrikaans University (RAU), the Technikon Witwatersrand (TWR) and the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University.

The University of Chicago improved to the ninth position while Princeton University did not make the new top 10 list.

Source: http://www.thistrend.com.ng/2017/06/list-of-top-7-universities-in-africa.html?m=1

3 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ThisTrend(f): 5:23pm On Jun 09, 2017

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Benitogucci(m): 5:31pm On Jun 09, 2017
Where's U.I?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Thermodynamics(m): 9:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?

Nor be only UI.
who dash monkey banana.
Top universities like this can only exist in serious countries, not in a Joke like Nigeria.

228 Likes 13 Shares

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by oldfoolnigger(m): 10:52pm On Jun 09, 2017
Before nko?
na top twenty u go fe see naija unis(just one uni sha)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by yarimo(m): 12:42am On Jun 10, 2017
Na lie what of federal university of science and technology SAMBISA FOREST ? undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by EniHolar(f): 3:00am On Jun 10, 2017
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?

It's in Ibadan. grin

Even if they rig the rating, UI won't be there.

123 Likes 4 Shares

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by blaquebelle: 3:10am On Jun 10, 2017
I'm not surprised undecided
Government chopping all d funds, plus masses wei suppose do their part in whatever way they can develop the country spend all day engaging in tribal wars on social media tongue

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 4:40am On Jun 10, 2017
Covenant university may breakthrough if they continue.

You see? Blacks, we are blacks; nothing more. Apartheid is paying off afterall

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by hernandson(m): 4:56am On Jun 10, 2017
south Africa making almost all the list entirely

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 5:59am On Jun 10, 2017
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?
you joke too much.... grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ubongokon(m): 8:47am On Jun 10, 2017
u mean niaja no follow ?

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by gudvibz(f): 8:53am On Jun 10, 2017
ubongokon:
u mean niaja no follow ?

I wonder oh

2 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by emmasege: 9:05am On Jun 10, 2017
I'm not being pessimistic, but truth be told that the current rating of Nigerian universities can only get worse. Not until we stop playing politics with everything in Nigeria will we be able to parade world class universities.

In South Africa for instance, there are flagship universities (e.g. Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Pretoria ) which the nation parades when it comes to global ratings. However, not all their universities are better than our best universities. How many of us know that while the UK is a hotspot for university education and the nation parades many world class universities, there are still some universities over there which by global rating are lower than our first generation universities? What stops Nigeria from picking the five first generation universities for instance as our flagship and massively fund them so that our nation can also be an hotspot for university education in Africa? But if that would ever happen, it would be politicized with geo-political zoning by the 'owners of Nigeria' since the very best universities in Nigeria are all in the south save the Ahmadu Bello University.

Like someone opined above, i can only hope that Covenant University keeps up their current standard and pace so that one Nigerian university makes one of the best three in a distant future.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by chiefolododo(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2017
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by AdeizaPaul: 9:05am On Jun 10, 2017
top 20 nko?
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by flyca: 9:06am On Jun 10, 2017
Nigeria is the giant of Africa cheesy

3 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by samtee37(m): 9:06am On Jun 10, 2017
So, no university made the list from the so called giant of Africa..... Issokay

29 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by sotall(m): 9:06am On Jun 10, 2017
ok
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by flyca: 9:06am On Jun 10, 2017
AdeizaPaul:
top 20 nko?
Top 50 sef, e no go still dey

4 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by NLProblemChild(m): 9:06am On Jun 10, 2017
K
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ephi321(f): 9:07am On Jun 10, 2017
No Nigerian university?

Big shame on this country. Meanwhile, we are the most populous in the continent. Nigerians (both politicians and regular citizens) will rather school abroad than develop their own unis.

6 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Pavore9: 9:07am On Jun 10, 2017
And we are supposedly​ the Giant of Africa!
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by rozayx5(m): 9:07am On Jun 10, 2017
cheesy cheesy

when my friend from witswatersrand visited a university here, he thought it was a farm

South Africa is the real developed african country, Naija na just noise

No standard Town, no Standard University, Everything just mediocre

even the so called VGC is a swamp
grin grin

Naija sha, i don tire

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Kizmilz(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Where is Benue State Uni? tongue
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by doublewisdom: 9:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Abraka no join?

2 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ashawopikin(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2017
U
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?
U.I ko I.U ni

5 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by aminu790(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Fake stuff
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by jieta: 9:09am On Jun 10, 2017
even our Almighty covenant university is not there.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by ednut1(m): 9:09am On Jun 10, 2017
Yet some pple would engage in public private uni beef. When both are crap anyways

8 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Jaqenhghar: 9:10am On Jun 10, 2017
The South Africans y'all spend time insulting are the ones topping the charts
hehehe

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation / Muslim Questions In A Christian Religious Exam In Akwa Ibom Junior WAEC / You Are Intelligent If You Have One Of This Manifestations Of Intellect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.