Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? (10957 Views)

What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? / The Lord's Chosen Storm Gambia, Many Muslims Converted (Photos) / What Does It Mean To Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Jun 09, 2017
What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? Does taking the Lord's name in vain mean more than just using it as a cuss word?
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Daviddson(m): 6:09pm On Jun 09, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? Does taking the Lord's name in vain mean more than just using it as a cuss word?
There are many ways people use the name of The Lord in vain, even committed Christians, without knowing. Some of the most common nowadays are: 'there's God o', 'God's watching you o' (jocularly), 'blood of God' etc. Haba...
For common sense sake, try replacing your father's name in the stead of God and see how disrespectful you'll feel towards your father. But, here we are talking about God! Unfortunately, many Christians are ignorant of the grievous sins they're committing when they do this.

41 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by sonofthunder: 6:31am On Jun 10, 2017
Cc: Scholar8200
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Scholar8200(m): 8:15am On Jun 10, 2017
sonofthunder:
Cc: Scholar8200
Thanks for the mention bro.

Op, this is the meaning:

At the time this command came, there was not much of the revelation of the Names of God and/or the Holy Things like we have them today. However,like the first answer rightly said, this is the amplified version of that command:

You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
Exodus 20:7

However, it also means we should not act in ANY way that will make others blaspheme God's Name:

lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord?
or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
Proverbs 30:9

Just like David was judged because as a result of his immorality and murder, he gave ,"... great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme" (2 samuel 12:14)

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by sonofthunder: 9:38am On Jun 10, 2017
Scholar8200:
Thanks for the mention bro.

Op, this is the meaning:

At the time this command came, there was not much of the revelation of the Names of God and/or the Holy Things like we have them today. However,like the first answer rightly said, this is the amplified version of that command:

You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
Exodus 20:7

However, it also means we should not act in ANY way that will make others blaspheme God's Name:

lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord?
or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
Proverbs 30:9

Just like David was judged because as a result of his immorality and murder, he gave ,"... great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme" (2 samuel 12:14)
God bless sir?
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Scholar8200(m): 10:46am On Jun 10, 2017
sonofthunder:

God bless sir?
Amen, thanks a lot
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:26am On Jun 18, 2017
Daviddson:

there are many ways people use the name of The Lord in vain, even committed Christians, without knowing. Some of the most common nowadays are: 'there's God o', 'God's watching you' (jocularly), 'blood of God' etc. Haba...
For common sense sake, try replacing your farhers name in the stead of God and see how disrespectful you'll feel (towards your father).But, here we are talking about God! Unfortunately, many Christians are ignorant of the grievous sins they're committing when they say this.

You are right. Even the use of the name "Jesus" as an expression of disgust could also pass off as using the name of the Lord in vain. No one will use the names of their mothers when expressing disgust.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by seunny4lif(m): 9:32am On Jun 18, 2017
As Nigeria politicians angry angry angry
Not sure
Ask Nigeria pastors

Cos the last time I checked, they all called the name whenever they wan to milk the masses and nothing happen to them

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by SexyNairalander: 9:33am On Jun 18, 2017
booked

with the little I know:

when you use his name to swear in a crime you know you committed(almost everyone did this as a kid)

or our false pastors using his name to dupe members

our heartless politicians involving God in their deceit and political brouhaha etc

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Built2last: 9:34am On Jun 18, 2017
Comedians using God's name to crack jokes.

God's name is so sacred in Judaism that a Jew will kot call Yahweh without a serious reason.

This generation trivialises and abuse grace

16 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by LifestyleTonite: 9:34am On Jun 18, 2017
booked
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by curvilicious: 9:35am On Jun 18, 2017
This makes it very obvious the majority of chistains are using the name of the Lord in vain
May God help us all
Father, have mercy on me

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Zico5(m): 9:36am On Jun 18, 2017
Ok
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by sukkot: 9:38am On Jun 18, 2017
means stop pretending to be holy and pious when we all know yo ass is a snake

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Omotayor123(f): 9:39am On Jun 18, 2017
You call the name of the Lord in vain, when you're obviously lying and still telling people God is ur witness.

Or when you mention God's name during hypocrisy matter.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Jamiubond009(m): 9:40am On Jun 18, 2017
The idea that the truth of God or our existence can be bound in any human system by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination.God is not a Christian, a Hindu or a Muslim. All these are human systems which human beings have created to try to help us walk in the mystery of our existence.
Religion has always been in the control business and that's something people don't really understand.It is in the guilt producing,control business.If you have heaven as a place where you're rewarded for your goodness and hell as a place you're punished for your evil, then you sort of have control over the population. They create this fiery place that quite literally, has scared the hell out of a lot of people.It's all part of the control tactic and an invention of the church. The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because it can't control grown ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're born again, you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up and accept responsibilities for themselves and the world. This stuff about obeying some commandments handed out by God to Moses on a mountain when no-one was around is just a tactic by the church to get people to straighten out, to get them all in line because they were basically stupid and lacked the intelligence to question anything . why ten commandments? Why not eleven or twelve or even nine? The reason is ten sounds official and sounds believable too . it's a psychologically satisfying number and people back then were too dumb to think for themselves.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by free2ryhme: 9:41am On Jun 18, 2017
To use God's name to justify or legitimate an action that is not justified or legitimated by God. For an example making war on another country and claiming it is "God's will". Claiming God said something that he didn't. Using God to place a curse. Using God's name to elevate your own position. These are examples of blasphemy.

Saying words such as "Oh my God" is an exclamation not a blasphemy.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Amberon11: 9:41am On Jun 18, 2017
It means to call the name of God purposelessly. Just like most people use "Jesus" as an exclamation.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by ekensi01: 9:41am On Jun 18, 2017
It's simply calling his name without good reason. Maybe for fun or to make it sound naughty or funny.

The one way the pain me na girls for BF way the talk 'oh my god, holy shit, my god etc'.

if you don't repent enh, devil go teach you lesson.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Dottore: 9:42am On Jun 18, 2017
ok
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by ikorodureporta: 9:42am On Jun 18, 2017
Does God really care about that?? Like say God dey care about thoz calling him in vain, na like mouth, throat & tongue cancer him for dey use warn dem......esp our false pastors

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by chessguru(m): 9:42am On Jun 18, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You are right. Even the use of the name "Jesus" as an expression of disgust could also pass off as using the name of the Lord in vain. No one will use the names of their mothers when expressing disgust.
Iye me
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by llprincztonp(m): 9:44am On Jun 18, 2017
it is a big sin to call the name in vain. A the mention of the name, faith have to be applied for its effectiveness. it is a reverend name that is above all other names. Glory be to Jesus for been lord over all flesh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by harsysky(m): 9:47am On Jun 18, 2017
Calling Jesus during sex......
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by davien(m): 9:48am On Jun 18, 2017
Apart from the general belief of invoking gods "powerful nature wastefully", nothing.

It upsets believers more than the god from my experience.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Noblesoul123: 9:49am On Jun 18, 2017
The worst and most commonly used this days is : O My God or OMG

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Kylekent59: 9:50am On Jun 18, 2017
When u both are fornicating and keeps saying oh my God. Or when you use God name to lie or insulting his mighty name

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by sundilazo(m): 9:50am On Jun 18, 2017
it means when u call d name when u're not ready to make use of it

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by VIPERVENOM(m): 9:50am On Jun 18, 2017
Calling the Lord's name in vain is wen u see rat and u shout JESUS CHRIST
Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by engineerboat(m): 9:54am On Jun 18, 2017
By naming Himself, God not only discloses who He is, but He does so in such a way that we might know Him personally.

To live by the terms of the third commandment is to recognize and confess that God deserves the highest honor; that He has singled us out by putting His name on us;

That we would be entirely lost were it not that for the sake of His name He keeps and protects us;

and that He calls us to live after the example of Jesus, glorifying God on earth.

We are the bearers of the name of God;

may all our conduct show it.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jun 18, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

When typically nigerians go God this God that God that and that ...

Why not say my heavenly father or the Lord ?

You don't go around calling your earthly father yinka, or Uche or Adamu...

You say sir so talkless of your creator , the eternal Lord , the I am that IAM , the omipotent omnipresent and everlasting Lord

Think

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Archbishop Ede: I Did Not Announce Lift On Ban Of Religious Activities In Enugu / Limb Regrowing Miracle By Naijadeyhia / Who Is Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.