Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits (4225 Views)

Ekiti Lawmakers 'offered' $1m To Remove Fayose / Despite Cash Crunch, Nigeria Donates Vehicles To Benin Republic / DSS Withdraws Case Against Radio Biafra Boss Nnamdi Kanu As Fresh Facts Emerge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 21, 2010
SENATE President, David Mark, announced yesterday that Nigeria had donated $1million to the people and government of Haiti to ameliorate the pains of the massive earthquake that ravaged the country. But even as humanity rallies round its own, telluric forces, seem unplacated still as a fresh quake measuring 6.1 on the Richter Scale again slammed the already prostrate country.

However, there were no reports of any casualties.

Mark's announcement was sequel to a motion sponsored by Senator Bassey Ewa Henshaw (Cross River State) and was accorded serious attention on the floor of the Senate.

Mark told senators that Nigeria did not do much publicity about the donation like other countries were doing.

The motion had asked for such donations but Mark quickly informed his colleagues that it was now belated because he had been informed by Vice President Goodluck Jonathan that the sum of $1million had been donated by Nigeria.

Senators also agreed that each of them would voluntarily contribute money to be sent to Haiti for further assistance.

Also through a motion moved by John Halims Agoda representing Ethiope federal constituency in Delta State to the effect that the House of Representatives should assist the people of Haiti affected by a recent earthquake, the chamber resolved that each of the 360 members should contribute N20, 000 each amounting to about N7.2 million.

A powerful aftershock struck Haiti yesterday, shaking buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets. It was only eight days after the country's capital was devastated by a major quake.

The magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest aftershock yet to the apocalyptic January 12 quake that shattered Haiti's capital. It was not immediately clear if it caused additional damage or injuries.

The new quake hit at 6:03 a.m. (1103 GMT) about 56 kilometres Northwest of the capital of Port-au-Prince and 22 kilometres below the surface.

Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. The U.S. Geologic Survey said the quake was centred about 56 kilometres Northwest of Port-au-Prince and was 22 kilometres below the surface.

Last week's magnitude-7 quake killed an estimated 200,000 people in Haiti, left 250,000 injured and made 1.5 million homeless, according to the European Union Commission. A massive international aid effort has been launched, but is struggling with overwhelming logistical problems.

Still, search-and-rescue teams have emerged from the ruins with some improbable success stories - including the rescue of 69 year-old ardent Roman Catholic who said she prayed constantly during her week under the rubble.

Ena Zizi had been at a church meeting at the residence of Haiti's Roman Catholic archbishop when the quake struck, trapping her in debris. On Tuesday, she was rescued by a Mexican disaster team that was created in the wake of Mexico City's 1985 earthquake.

Zizi said that after the quake, she spoke back and forth with a vicar who also was trapped. But after a few days, he fell silent, and she spent the rest of the time praying and waiting.

"I talked only to my boss, God," she said. "And I didn't need any more humans."

Doctors who examined Zizi on Tuesday said she was dehydrated and had a dislocated hip and a broken leg.

Elsewhere in the capital, two women were pulled from a destroyed university building. And near midnight Tuesday, a smiling and singing 26-year-old Lozama Hotteline was carried to safety from a collapsed store in the Petionville neighbourhood by the French aid group Rescuers Without Borders.

Crews at the cathedral compound site Tuesday recovered the body of the archbishop, Monsignor Joseph Serge Miot.

Authorities said close to 100 people had been pulled from wrecked buildings by international search-and-rescue teams. Efforts continued, with dozens of teams sifting through Port-au-Prince's crumbled homes and buildings for signs of life.

But the good news was overshadowed by the frustrating fact that the world still can't get enough food and water to the hungry and thirsty.

"We need so much. Food, clothes, we need everything. I don't know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon," said Sophia Eltime, a 29-year-old mother of two who has been living under a bedsheet with seven members of her extended family.

The World Food Programme said more than 250,000 ready-to-eat food rations had been distributed in Haiti by Tuesday, reaching only a fraction of the three million people thought to be in desperate need.

Nigeria Police officers are among United Nations international troops and police officers helping out in the devastated Haiti search, rescue and relief efforts, the secretariat of the world body has said, disclosing however that the actual death toll from the earthquake may never be known.

Besides, at the UN Security Council where Nigeria is still few weeks old, the nation's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Prof. U. Joy Ogwu, was prominent among sponsors of a new UN Security Council resolution on Tuesday morning calling for more UN troops and police contributions to Haiti.

At a UN press conference in Haiti monitored at the New York headquarters via videoconferencing, UN officials in Port-au-Prince, Edmond Mulet, and David Wilmhurst, briefed reporters on Tuesday afternoon on the daily developments in Haiti.

Asked about the involvement of Nigerians in the UN Mission in Haiti, the UN Chief of Public Information in Haiti, David Wilmhurst, confirmed that "we have Nigeria Police who are actively engaging in Port-au-Prince."

According to him, Nigerian Police officers are part of the patrolling in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince alongside other UN police force in the town.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03/indexn2_html?pdate=210110&ptitle=Nigeria%20donates%20$1m%20to%20Haiti%20as%20fresh%20quake%20hits
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by jimmysho(m): 10:36am On Jan 21, 2010
lagos gave 1 million. FG gave 1million. that mean lagos and the nigeria is on the same pedestrian. grin just my thought kiss
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by kshow1(m): 10:57am On Jan 21, 2010
jimmysho:

lagos gave 1 million. FG gave 1million. that mean lagos and the nigeria is on the same pedestrian. grin just my thought kiss

Mathematically :
IF: Lagos donated $1M and Nigeria donated $1M
THEN: Lagos = Nigeria
THEREFORE : the Governor of Lagos can equally rule Nigeria. grin grin
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Kx: 11:04am On Jan 21, 2010
kshow1:

Mathematically :

In terms of leadership by example.

Fash acted be4 yaradul govt.
Fash have the tendency to promptly respond to citizens needs than any aboki
and Fash will make a better presido.Just my wish grin grin
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by jaybee3(m): 11:10am On Jan 21, 2010
kshow1:

Mathematically :
d And function renders your code useless Mr
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by jimmysho(m): 11:13am On Jan 21, 2010
kshow1:

Mathematically :

that is an excellent calculation.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by slap1(m): 11:21am On Jan 21, 2010
Stingy Reps. Wots N20,000? How much are they gonna pay for five minutes with a piece of Haitian female waist?
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by jaybee3(m): 11:21am On Jan 21, 2010
@jimmy
forget abt And gate for now.
The statement AND insinuates they both donated 2M
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by slap1(m): 11:23am On Jan 21, 2010
Stingy Reps. Wots N20,000? How much are they gonna pay for five minutes with a piece of Haitian female waist?
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by SamMilla1(m): 11:36am On Jan 21, 2010
I want to say something. This is called politics.
Lagos state gave 1 million dollars. Despite that it was a goodwill gesture, it was out of other.
No state jumps over its federal government on such issues.
Lagos should have consulted the federal government to know their plans before throwing money around.

Japan is thousands of times richer than us.
The donated 5 million dollars. before individual wings come in.

There are also countries that donated nothing.
Its not fair though but sometimes we have to check how the affected country respond to such issues as well before doing anything.

All in All, Lagos state shouldnt have donated that money before federal government.
They now make federal government look wicked and careless.
Nigeria is in leadership crisis. Everyone including Fashola should be aware of that.

I guess he jumped and donated that money to make himself look very good to ordinary people of Nigeria.
He succeeded but in some World Govt, he could have been suspended from duty.
Just that Nigeria is not working.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Kx: 11:44am On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

With no power-NEPA-,no water,no food, no fuel, no leadership, no presdent,
no road, religious killings,Jos killing (seaon 1 & 2),corruption,every other vices going on
unchecked,I wonder if ur bolded statement above holds water.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Meldrick(m): 11:49am On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

Lagos state gave 1 million dollars. Despite that it was a goodwill gesture, it was out of other.
Lagos should have consulted the federal government to know their plans before throwing money around.

That's practically your opinion but remember this is a federal system and there is no policy that a state must consult the federal government before making donations.

Sam Milla:

All in All, Lagos state shouldnt have donated that money before federal government.
Nigeria is in leadership crisis. Everyone including Fashola should be aware of that.

Of course the federal government does not give a danm so don't expect Fashola to start waiting for our slow and crawling FEC to act before he acts.

Sam Milla:

I guess he jumped and donated that money to make himself look very good to ordinary people of Nigeria.

This man do you know what you are saying? Give me an example of the World Government that would have suspended him from duty or site an example of where it has happened previously. I'm waiting pls.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by ariy(m): 11:56am On Jan 21, 2010
Who knows maybe thesame $1m which lagos donated refered to by FG. so mathmaticans make sure dat u dont repeat thesame figure twice
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by ariy(m): 12:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
Who knows maybe thesame $1m which lagos donated refered to by FG. so mathematicans make sure dat u dont repeat thesame figure twice
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Witi(m): 12:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
kshow1:

Mathematically :
Logical
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Amjustme: 12:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
Guys back 2 d post ok? smiley
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by diva90: 12:47pm On Jan 21, 2010
is it true? i doubt it oo tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Jairzinho(m): 12:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

There are also countries that donated nothing.Its not fair though but sometimes we have to check how the affected country respond to such issues as well before doing anything.

With all due respect,this is somewhat illogical,and is the main problem with nigeria.

The federal govt of Nigeria is currently filled with rent seekers and bootlickers ,who are so far removed from the problems in states,talkless of local govts & wards,that it would be irresponsible for any forward looking leader to look up to these indisciplined bunch.

The main reason we don't have light & security in the states is becos of the FG,they insist that any power generated by the states should first be given to the national grid & the it would be 'redistributed',policing should be controlled from Abuja,same thing with resource control and other things.

Japan & other responsible countries that operate federal system ,have people with clear foresight and genuine concern for people runniing their government. So rather than the states asking the FG for direction,the FG would have taken initiative immediately and everyone would tow the line.

The clintonbush initiative by Obama is a clear illustration of this. So please when doing a critical analysis of Federal system of govt,always take into coignisance the aberrant nature of Nigeria's example.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by ayo84(m): 1:29pm On Jan 21, 2010
the poster should change this title with immediate effect, its not nigeria, it's LAGOS.Fashola's LAGOS donates 1 million
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by temiiii(m): 1:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
20,000 naira from senators. what balderdash! that is eqivalent to thier lunch money. stingy people
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by Focusmind: 1:45pm On Jan 21, 2010
We are all falling over ourselves in sending relief material to Haiti while millions of our people are wallowing in a situation worse than that of Haiti. I sympathise with the Haiti People but not Fashola donating a whopping one millon dollars (about 150million naira). This is a country where school children still learns on the floor under open roof. Some widows and their children are all over the place begging for food but our leaders look elsewhere. Politician are always interested where the attention is to get publicity. UK is donating £6million and Nigeria govt and fashola are donating $2million. Do you know the development gaps between Nigeria and Uk? Other African countries have not even said anything, but Nigeria, the giant of Africa where the citizen cannot even boast of a meal a day. Some people in Nigeria are living under the worse situation than the Haitians, but our government care less because the attention was not there. Lets learn how to do the first thing first. I am not saying that giving aid to Haiti is bad, but we should excercise caution and probably cordinate whatever relieve we have into single one than each person pledging millions when his fellow country men are dying of hunger and severe malnutrition.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by slap1(m): 2:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
@focusmind. mechie onu.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by hatch: 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

Its not fair though but sometimes we have to check how the affected country respond to such issues as well before doing anything.

@Sam Milla
Is your thinking warped or outright shallow ! Why bringing political sentiments in to this. SO Lagos state has to wait for directives before they give humanitarian aid to the people of haiti. What nonsense ! !
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by otukpo(f): 2:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
EVRYTHING IN NIGERIA HAS A POLITICAL UNDERTONE.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by SamMilla1(m): 3:10pm On Jan 21, 2010
hatch#:

@Sam Milla
Is your thinking warped or outright shallow ! Why bringing political sentiments in to this. SO Lagos state has to wait for directives before they give humanitarian aid to the people of haiti. What nonsense ! !

You do not understand the meaning of politics. so i suggest you sharap.
there are things involved in giving aids to sovereign nations.
America offered to send money to burma when flood devastated them, burma rejected it, yet there are very poor.

Before you do such things, you have to also look in the history of the nation affected to see how they respond to matters like this.
I know how this sounds but , millions of people in lagos sleep in gutters.
they eat dirt.
Agreed earthqake is a natural disaster but there are political disaster in Nigeria which the world is doing nothing about.
there are crisis in jos, bauchi, everywhere. killings and burnings on daily basis.
where is UN. US. EU. HAITI ?
If anybody should lead the way in donating to Haiti, that should be Feds. Then State. [individuals can donate whatever and whenever they want.]

have you considered how that sounded to the world ?

USA DONATES 70 MILLION TO HAITI
JAPAN === 5 MILLION
GERMANY ------8 MILLION
UK --------------7 MILLION
LAGOS----------1 MILLION

Got my point ?
Government is govt. Fashola does not own lagos, he cant just do anything he wish.
do you think other states doesnt have money to donate, or doesnt want to donate ?
You need prudence when dealing with international community.

unless like i said, fashola has a hidden agenda,
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by jrtorrents: 3:30pm On Jan 21, 2010
And small Ghana donated $3million. Nigeria is fast loosing its status.

http://news.myjoyonline.com/news/201001/40857.asp
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by 77ken: 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2010
Those men are first class idiots. They spend more 200k on beer on any given weekend minus bakassi allowance they give to their campus girl friends. Miseducated morons thats what they are they can never do any thing right.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by koolchicco: 3:55pm On Jan 21, 2010
slap1:

Laughter Junction!! grin grin grin grin

jrtorrents:

And small Ghana donated $3million. Nigeria is fast loosing its status.

http://news.myjoyonline.com/news/201001/40857.asp
shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by agitator: 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

Lagos state gave 1 million dollars. Despite  that it was a goodwill gesture, it was out of other.

They now make federal  government look wicked and careless.

hatch#:

@Sam Milla

my bro this is how majority of Nigerians think!!!!!!!!

That was why when the northern states were enacting and passing sharia laws, everybody (even lawyers and political scientist) was expecting the president to give an order to stop or cancel it.   Whereas in a system where things are done normally, all it would have required is for the national assembly to pass a law over-riding these laws or cancelling the loophole in the constitution through which these actions were being taken.

even if a state governor is corrupt, the citizens are expecting the federal government to come and remove or arrest him.  It was because of this type of reasoning that OBJ capitalised on to withold Lagos LGA funds, which ordinarily was wrong.

It shows you the havoc the military rulership system has caused to the nigerian's way of reasoning, because military head of states had control over the military governors, who were accountable report back, they think same should apply in a democratic dispensation.

Majority of Nigerians can't even tell the difference between a military dictator and a democratic civilian government (majority even expected the military leaders to be accountable and consult them before decisions are taken).
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by richness(m): 4:33pm On Jan 21, 2010
Sam Milla:

You do not understand the meaning of politics.  so i suggest you sharap.
there are things involved in giving aids to sovereign nations.
America offered to send money to burma when flood devastated them, burma rejected it, yet there are very poor.

>>So, has Haiti rejected anybody aid
Sam Milla:

Before you do such things, you have to also look in the history of the nation affected to see how they respond to matters like this.
I  know how this sounds but , millions of people in lagos sleep in gutters.
they eat dirt.

>>USA is in a particularly difficult time, the unemployment rate is at the highest it has been in recent time, millions have lost their jobs. Believe me, every country has her own problem and if they all wait to solve their problem before they respond. Haiti would have been on their own today

Sam Milla:

Agreed earthqake is a natural disaster but there are political disaster in Nigeria which the world is doing nothing about.
there are crisis in jos, bauchi, everywhere. killings and burnings on daily basis.
where is UN. US. EU. HAITI ?
>> I feel ashamed you would compare our own crisis with Haiti where over 100,000 people have already lost their lives. A poor country that could hardly support itself before the quake.

Sam Milla:

If anybody should lead the way in donating to Haiti, that should be Feds. Then State. [individuals can donate whatever and whenever they want.]
have you considered how that sounded to the world ?
>> the Feds that waited for Lagos state to respond before they said anything about it. Of course, maybe when yaradua returns, he will announce our response. Lagos state has the right to donate without waiting for anybody. How will it sound? Lagos state donated money while the Federal government is busy looking for the next lie to tell about the president? State have been borrowing money without the FG, they have been travelling and signing deals outside the shore of this country, they did not wait for FG. Now people are dying in Haiti, Lagos need to seek approval from FG before donating. Haba!!

Sam Milla:

USA DONATES 70 MILLION TO HAITI
JAPAN === 5 MILLION
GERMANY ------8 MILLION
UK --------------7 MILLION
LAGOS----------1 MILLION
Correction US made an initial pledge of 100 million dollar and promise to commit to long term rebuilding of Haiti.

Sam Milla:

Got my point ?
Government is govt. Fashola does not own lagos, he cant just do anything he wish.
do you think other states doesnt have money to donate, or doesnt want to donate ?
You need prudence when dealing with international community.
Of course, Fashola cannot do anything he wish. The decisions was taken at the state executive council meeting and approved by the state assembly. Or what do you want him to do, to organise a referendum in the state for everybody to vote? What is my business with other state, so Fashola should have consulted other states too before making a decision?

Sam Milla:

unless like i said, fashola has a hidden agenda,

Of course, he has an hidden agenda. Who doesn't? France has already called on the United Nations to clarify US role in Haiti both now and in the future because they think US has an hidden agenda too. My point is, people can always see the good and bad in the action you take but do good anyway. I am you have an hidden agenda in rebuking Fashola's action.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by babapupa: 4:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
Lagos wait for the federal government?? You might as well write and sigh your own Obituary. The crazy ish I read on NL sometimes. lmao
Re: Nigeria Donates $1m To Haiti As Fresh Quake Hits by selencious(f): 5:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
@Poster!!! U sound so dumb;are you sure you finished elementary school-Primary school as it is called in Nigeria? Simple calculation, Lagos, not Nigeria. Just same way you made a fool of urself at the other thread. The topic looks more like your name sounds-SOUR

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Won’t Attend Jonathan’s Inauguration, By Buhari / Obama Signs Each Sheet Of Paper With A Different Pen During His Inauguration. / NIGERIAN ARMY EMERGE WITH DESERT WARFARE OPERATIONAL VEHICLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.