Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. (52264 Views)

Fasoranti, Clarke, Nwodo, 13 Others Sue Buhari Over Lopsided Appointments / South East Governors Caution Over Biafra / Ken Nnamani Leaves A Book Launch Visibly Angry During Argument Over Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Tkester: 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
PastorAji:
Buratai can't be tried in the US
highest is extradiction order

Bro, nobody is counting on brutai being tried in the US or not. In fact, the US court will have a non binding resolution on brutai (if found guilty), i.e. to say that brutai can either accept their judgement or repudiate it.

But the real damage is in denting the Nigerian image and presenting the Nigerian state as aggressors against the Biafran people. This in turn will win sympathy for Biafrans and give them the much needed international support that is pivotal to Thier struggle. Have you asked yourself why the US suspended the sale of fighter aircrafts which by the way has already been approved the the trump administration, it is because of cases like this.

IPOB laid a trap for the Nigerian government, and unfortunately the band of cheer leaders in the Nigerian govt cheer led them into stepping on the trap. So what you've now is that IPoB is unarguably the biggest freedom fighting movememnt in Africa.

8 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Odingo1: 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
Alariwo2:
See them.. mumu people spilling trash on the thread

Buratai can kill as many terrorists as he likes.. It's his constitutional duty. The day these Biafrans understand that their movement is unlawful is when their eyes will clear

BTW US will have to defend her military action in Syria and other war torn countries first before they can query our armed forces and their actions.
Nonsense!
Their movement is not unlawful,there is right to self determination in UN chater

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by chuksanambra: 4:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
yaki84:

by their facial drawing aka marks u know them.

If he speaks, reason, act like afonja then he must be an aF0njA.
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Okpabana: 4:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
Nigeria matter in American court? Nawao some people mumu sha. American courts now has power and jurisdiction to handle Naija internal issues. I tire for these biafrauds oo.

4 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Ijaya123: 4:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
xcolanto:
Thank God!
The zoo army is going down!
Once the case is ruled in favour of Biafra then the world would acknowledge the atrocities being carried out on the Igbo's and more international support and recognition would be given to the struggle.
Lots of videos and evidence abound on the zoo army harrising and killing innocent biafrains!
This is a lovely day for justice
Indeed the long arm of the law shall catch up with evil doers no matter how long it takes.

All hail Biafra
Igbo Amaka!

Did you go to school at all?

If you did, your sponsor just wasted his or her money.

What a loss.

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Odingo1: 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
ernieboy:

u people should shut up. Nigeria is a sovereign state not under the jurisdiction of another state. this is just the futile effort of a desperate and dying campaign.
So because that Nigeria is a sovereign country, some ethnic groups can conspire together to massacre another one as they like and nobody will talk and do anything because is a sovereign country.

9 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by jumobi1(m): 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
FiguratvelySpkn:

Dead on arrival. Will be thrown out for lack of Jurisdiction. Plaintiffs won't be able to prove harm or persecution at the hands of the Government. They won't be able to prove that their situation is not "normal" in a Nigerian society and so on and so on.

Just another well paid day for the law offices of Attorney Bruce Fein of Fein & DelValle PLLC, and W. Bruce DelValle.

Idiocy at its finest.

LOLOLOL. You don't know what you're talking about. The Torture Victims Protection Act and Alien Tort Claims Act enacted by the US Congress gives the US Court jurisdiction. The issue will be the enforceability of the judgment on a non-us citizen/resident defendant with no assets or property interests in the US. You don't know the plaintiff so you don't know the strength of their case. Even if the situation is normal is Nigeria, it is irrelevant if it is not internationally recognized to be normal. Ultimately the plaintiffs may lose but we don't know yet since the court took the case rather than throw it out for lack of merit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by UncleJudax(m): 4:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
babutime:

Nothing will happen to Buratai. Igbos are just frusturated individuals. OCT 1 is loading, why court again? Show your skills again like u did in 1967
Ok
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 12, 2017
A US Court has no jurisdiction over Nigerian Affairs - This is the true Anthem that will get the Anti-Igbos masturbating mentally. But let me tell you something I know. The Media Mass that this judgement will cause, will bring the cameras of the American Press to torch-light every aspect of the injustice of Nigeria against Biafra.

Let us not forget that Biafra was once a country, with its central bank and government and standing army. The new generation of Biafrans are smarter and are using Diplomatic Channels and are constitutionally following the laws of the land. Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech which is a Constitutional Provision is what they used, YET the Hausa-Fulani Pro-Nigeria Military killed these innocent protestors who want nothing but an Identity - A respect to their name, they want a country of their own. It is a natural Law.

The Media attention that this court case will get, and the criticism that the opposition will air, will give other Biafrans the conviction to proceed to The Hague. Then the next phase will be REFERENDUM.

7 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2017
amaechi2020:
Big trap for US -Nigeria Relationship....... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Aswear.

Lalasticlala shey you see say this type thread dey move pass MKO own.

Seun nor ban me oooooooo. grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by felicitywe(m): 4:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
Tkester:

Bro don't swear on it. The international recognition is mind boggling. What IPoB is doing is a modern way of freedom fighting. Imagine if the court finds brutai guilty of mass murder, do you actually know the damage it will have on Nigeria? In fact the US/Nigeria relationship will go into limbo and Biafra would gain a lot of sympathies just as they are having now all over the world.
Next is Prof Ango Abdullahi and other northerners that incite the killing of Igbos. We must watch their statement and keep record of them. I promise you they will face d law.The Jewish world,Europe and America must not allow a repetition of the genocide committed against the Jews to happen on d Igbos. Ango Abdullahi should not be allowed to go free.He should be d next in US.Biafra is asking for referendum not violence and they v demonstrated it severally.So for you who boast of killing over 5million biafrans during d civil war and still threatening to do more,I say continue we know how to get you.Biafra must work with d modern world to rid Africa esp Nigeria of human atrocities.

9 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 4:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
babutime:

Nothing will happen to Buratai. Igbos are just frusturated individuals. OCT 1 is loading, why court again? Show your skills again like u did in 1967
Ewedu. You thought that we we would fall into the same trap of provocation. Hahahaha.

The joke is on you.

7 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by pureorganic: 4:49pm On Jun 12, 2017
Tkester:

Maybe they forgot their juju when ICJ ruled in favour of Cameroon over Bakassi peninsula

lol enjeria ti wo gobe
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by michiyke2003(m): 4:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
Billyonaire:
A US Court has no jurisdiction over Nigerian Affairs - This is the true Anthem that will get the Anti-Igbos masturbating mentally. But let me tell you something I know. The Media Mass that this judgement will cause, will bring the cameras of the American Press to torch-light every aspect of the injustice of Nigeria against Biafra.

Let us not forget that Biafra was once a country, with its central bank and government and standing army. The new generation of Biafrans are smarter and are using Diplomatic Channels and are constitutionally following the laws of the land. Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech which is a Constitutional Provision is what they used, YET the Hausa-Fulani Pro-Nigeria Military killed these innocent protestors who want nothing but an Identity - A respect to their name, they want a country of their own. It is a natural Law.

The Media attention that this court case will get, and the criticism that the opposition will air, will give other Biafrans the conviction to proceed to The Hague. Then the next phase will be REFERENDUM.

Now I see a man who knows what international Justice is all about.

2 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Alariwo2: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2017
Odingo1:

Their movement is not unlawful,there is right to self determination in UN chater

Then pack your things and leave before October 1. The Northern youths too have a right to choice of association, same with other tribes according to UN.

Go back home if you're serious about biafra

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 4:56pm On Jun 12, 2017
pmc01:
These Biafrans are confused. Persecuted because of their Christian religion Una no be Jew again?
hehehe. You sound afraid.

The north alone has shown evidenced hostility towards the igbo's by asking them to leave. They are ever impatient and take laws into their hands.

So much evidence upandan to use grin

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by ngmgeek(m): 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
At least Buratai will get a fair hearing in the US district Court, something families of the murdered Biafran protesters couldn't get in Nigeria. Sad. lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by pmc01(m): 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
NothingDoMe:
hehehe. You sound afraid.

The north alone has shown evidenced hostility towards the igbo's by asking them to leave. They are ever impatient and take laws into their hands.

So much evidence upandan to use grin
And you sound like you're hanging on to straws.
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
Alariwo2:

Then pack your things and leave before October 1. The Northern youths too have a right to choice of association, same with other tribes according to UN.

Go back home if you're serious about biafra
You are smarter than this.

If going home would grant biafra my people would have left even before the ultimatum.

We both know that this path will lead to war and not Biafra. Let the rep member from the north supporting this action also ask for a referendum.

6 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by bigzic(m): 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
bauer36:
education is power
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2017
pmc01:

And you sound like you're hanging on to straws.
My leg dey ground gidigba.

Oh you meant my people? Nothingdous.

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by abbey621(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
FiguratvelySpkn:

Not entirely true. The Alien Tort claim act offers some sort of relief to individuals in incidents that happened outside U.S soil; think the case of Ken-Saro Wiwa's descendants v Shell. However, the circumstances have to be "exceptional". Besides, the requirements to be met before relief can be granted are exceptionally high.

On the face of it, this seems to me like a waste of the court's time.

The case you mentioned happened because Shell is a multinational company with huge stakes in the U.S, it is completely different from a case against the Federal government of another country, the U.S district court does not deal with such and the sovereign country is under no obligation to answer to it! In addition tort refers to civil cases not criminal.

3 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
amaechi2020:
A United States (U.S.) District Court for the District of Columbia has granted leave to 10 Biafran plaintiffs to sue Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, and 13 others for complicity in the 2016 torture and extra-judicial killings under colour of Nigeria law to retaliate for peaceful Biafran protests against ethnic or religious oppression.

Brought under the Torture Victims Protection Act and Alien Tort Claims Act Complaint, the plaintiffs are seeking millions of dollars as damages to compensate for their grievous losses and suffering.

The suit, John Doe, et al vs. Tukur Yusuf Buratai et al, with Civil Action No. 1:17-cv-01033, has been assigned to United States District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle, who was appointed by President William Jefferson Clinton.
The court further ruled that the “plaintiffs alleged that identifying plaintiffs or decedents would expose them, their families and relatives to an intolerable risk of death or serious bodily injury at the hands of defendants or the Government of Nigeria.”

Counsel to the plaintiffs, Attorney Bruce Fein of Fein & DelValle PLLC, and W. Bruce DelValle, said, among others: “This landmark lawsuit is about justice and the rule of law coming to rescue Igbo, Biafrans and their political supporters who are persecuted, because of their Christian religion, ethnicity and political viewpoints since Nigeria’s independence from its colonial master Great Britain in October 1960.”

http://guardian.ng/news/buratai-13-others-taken-to-u-s-district-court-over-biafra-protests/

Dead on arrival! There is no entity or state in law bearing Biafra. A motion to dismiss will lay to rest the dead suit.

2 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by pmc01(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
NothingDoMe:
My leg dey ground gidigba.

Oh you meant my people? Nothingdous.

Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by xcolanto(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
Ijaya123:

[s]Did you go to school at all?

If you did, your sponsor just wasted his or her money.

What a loss[/s].

Where you given birth to in a hospital?

If yes, then your mother wasted hospital bed space.

What a waste of sperm.

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by NothingDoMe: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
pmc01:

Best wishes.
Danke!

1 Like

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by kingsmerit: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
na wao to nairalanders ooo.every body is just interested on whether its within the jurispundence of the U.S court and you keep mocking them that nothing will come out of it.i think the question we should be asking ourselve should be....did the Nigerian army truely commit the crime of which they are being sued? I think the FG should either dialogue with these people or they should simply battle it out in court and not a section issuing quit notice.the last thing that Nigerian govt need now is distractions and they are having it already in full hands because they they are the architect. Its only a Deus ex Machina that can bring unity in this country again.

2 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by bigzic(m): 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2017
Billyonaire:

What is this one saying?
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Alariwo2: 5:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
NothingDoMe:
You are smarter than this.

If going home would grant biafra my people would have left even before the ultimatum.

We both know that this path will lead to war and not Biafra. Let the rep member from the north supporting this action also ask for a referendum.

Asking for biafra means you don't want to associate with others, means you want to dictate how others move or live in your lands..

Stop playing smart son, even the UN or any international body can see through igbo antics.

You can deceive your fellow igbos but not a Yoruba man like me. I senior you in everything including sense wise

3 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by acehood907(m): 5:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
Mstwww abeg cut off this country into two, we will defend our religions here in north (idols) and (Islam)
Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Alwaystruth: 5:08pm On Jun 12, 2017
some of you are very stupid, if Burutai has any landed properties in the U.S and often visits U.S,he can be arrested and tried by any law court any where in the world for crimes against humanity .. Would have been better if sued at ICC and Hague for crime against humanity.....Genocide is a serious matter internationally..

2 Likes

Re: Buratai, 13 Others Taken To U.S. District Court Over Biafra Protests. by Cyriloha(m): 5:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
NLandIsHypocrit:
This time it won't be business as usual, already there's enough evidence on ground so is not the question of I didn't do it, or I'm not aware. Buratai thought he would have been the super hero the moment he kills innocent, armless and law abiding IPOB members for hate and frivolous reasons. We hope that Justice will surely prevail because those killed are more humans than their killers. Even Justice fails to come through this Chanel, one thing is undisputable, all those who participated in the killings of innocent IPOB members either directly or indirectly must surely pay a heavy price, anyone of them who escaped the physical nets will never escape the spiritual nets.

very soon otu stupid afonji will come here to display illiteracy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Reuben Abati, Rufai Oseni Hail Tinubu For Representing Nigeria Well In France / IPOB/ESN Parades Child Soldier To Fight Nigeria Army - Photos / Jeremiah Useni's Rice Company In Plateau (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.