Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space (724 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: Taking Holy Communion In The Morning Is Wrong, At Night Is Good / Anglican Church Refuses Man Holy Communion Because Of His Beard. Photo / I Was Prevented From Receiving Holy Communion In Anglican Church Over Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by FMary(m): 5:04pm On Jun 18, 2017
* He was a Convert to Catholicism

Mike Hopkins was raised in a Protestant family, but married a Catholic woman. Though they were raising their two daughters as Catholics, he wasn’t sure it was for him right away, until he said he “felt that something was missing in my life.”

After a period of discernment, he eventually joined RCIA and was received into full communion in the Catholic Church. But that raised a question for him when he was sent to the International Space Station as an astronaut in 2013 for 24 weeks: how would he receive the Sacraments?
He couldn’t celebrate Mass or do Reconciliation without a priest. But he would be able to receive the Eucharist if he took consecrated host with him to space.

With the help of his pastor, Fr. James H. Kaczynski of the St. Mary Church in Texas, he got special permission from the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston to carry 6 consecrated hosts (which can be split into 4 pieces each) in a pyx into space to consume once a week while on the International Space Station.

This was great comfort to Hopkins. “Those events can be stressful,” Hopkins told Catholic News Service about his work in space. “Knowing Jesus was with me when I stepped out the door into the vacuum of space was important to me.”

The view of the Earth that he got from space also had a deep impact on his faith: “When you see the Earth from that vantage point and see all the natural beauty that exists, it’s hard not to sit there and realize there has to be a higher power that has made this.”

Source: http://www.francismary.org/story-of-the-astronaut-who-took-the-holy-eucharist-to-space/

Re: Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by FMary(m): 5:04pm On Jun 18, 2017
Read Also: 5 Myths About The Holy Eucharist That Too Many People Still Believe (Maybe Even You!)

http://www.francismary.org/5-myths-about-the-holy-eucharist-that-too-many-people-still-believe-maybe-even-you/
Re: Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by FMary(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2017
God is great
Re: Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2017
He should have snapped himself takin the Holy Communion in the space na
Re: Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by GodsMopol: 6:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
amazing
Re: Story Of The Astronaut Who Took The Holy Communion To Space by FMary(m): 6:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
GodsMopol:
amazing

Yes really an amazing experience

(1) (Reply)

Fornication And The Dangers Behind It / A Rev Father Survived A Ghastly Motor Accident / The Revelation Of The Conquest Of Otem Over Yahweh & All Worship Loving Gods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.