Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List (4567 Views)

Army: AI Report On Clash With Shi’ites Hasty, Partial, Subjective / Security Agencies Watch-list Supreme Court Justices-the Nations / GEJ - Nigerians Think I Am Slow Because I Avoid Taking Hasty Decisions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by aloyemeka2: 10:21am On Jan 25, 2010
US to review hasty inclusion of Nigeria to terror watch list

ShareThis
January 23rd, 2009

Guardian- WITH the intensity of criticisms within the US government circles and outside, the Americans may soon review the inclusion of Nigeria on its terror watch list of countries of interest, according to a senior White House official.

Speaking at the US Foreign Press Centre in Washington DC on Friday afternoon, White House National Security Council spokesman, Mike Hammer, told foreign journalists that the US Homeland Security Secretary, Ms. Janet Napolitano, would be reviewing each of the countries listed including Nigeria.

Hammer gave a special briefing to accredited foreign correspondents in the US to commemorate the one year anniversary of President Barack Obama’s presidency.

The Guardian had asked why Nigeria’s name was added to the list of countries of interest because of the “sins” of one man, whose father had taken the unusual step of forewarning the US authorities.

The question noted that when the shoe-bomber, Richard Reid, from Britain was caught in similar circumstances, the name of Britain was not added to the list.

The question also added that even a US Senator last week questioned the decision to add some countries to the list.

In response, Hammer said: “Thank you very much for your question; I am glad you asked it. I’ll make three points.

NewsRescue- Generation Doom! Should we be scared of our youth?

One, after the December 25th incident, it was clear that we needed to take measures that protect aviation. Protecting aviation serves the entire world as we have citizens, of course, from the entire world who are flying back and forth whether it is to the United States or elsewhere.
The listing, in no way, is meant to be discriminatory against any individual or nationality. What is important here to realize is that we need to take some measures, but already, Secretary Napolitano of the Department of Homeland Security had said that she would personally review each of the countries listed. And this is an evolving process.

So, I understand the issues that you raised, the issues that Senator Leahy had raised; we are very well keen about the concerns. But it’s a balance here in that we need to take the necessary steps to protect aviation and as well as taking into consideration what other measures, in co-operation, of course, with a number of countries around the world. And that is what, in fact, we are doing at the moment.”Indeed, the decision of the executive arm of the US government to add Nigeria’s name to the security and terror list of countries of interest has been coming under attacks generally from the US, and on Wednesday directly from the US Senate.This is coming as the full court of American democracy begins to open shop on the fallout of the Christmas day terror attempt.
Criticism of the addition of countries that included Nigeria on the terror list started with US opinion writers pointing out last week that the decision would only affect innocent Nigerians and it might not be an effective tool to counter-terrorism.

On Wednesday in Washington DC at one of several Congressional hearings on the failed terror attempt, Senator Patrick Leahy warned against the temptation of reflexive actions that were ineffective by the US government.

He stressed that adding names of some countries like Nigeria to the watch list might even alienate allies of the US in the global war on terror.

Leahy, a Democrat senator and the chairman of the US Senate Judiciary Committee, spoke as he presided over the committee’s hearing on the matter at the Capitol Hill.

Other committees of the Senate that held similar hearings on the terror attempt and its implications were the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee and the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

http://www.newsrescue.com/2010/01/us-to-review-hasty-inclusion-of-nigeria-to-terror-watch-list/
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 25, 2010
This is just lip service. Nothing will come out of this.

Besides, it will do Nigeria more good than harm if we remained on that list.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 25, 2010
OMO IBO:

HOW
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by ono(m): 11:21am On Jan 25, 2010
Some good news sha. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Spyker: 11:27am On Jan 25, 2010
The drama continue, we are just seeing some of the actors and actresses coming on stage.
Well, time they say will tell, time will heal all wounds, time will , ooh, what a pity
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 25, 2010
MrPrsdent:

HOW
How??
Simple answer.
There are other 'Muttalabs' in Nigeria.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by aloyemeka2: 4:36pm On Jan 25, 2010
It will not benefit us at all if we remain on that list because some other Mutallabs in our midst will still do what they want to do.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by sjeezy8: 4:39pm On Jan 25, 2010
keep them on the list its better for Nigeria.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Fhemmmy: 4:40pm On Jan 25, 2010
Let us wait and see and not start jumping for joy yet
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by bawomolo(m): 4:41pm On Jan 25, 2010
You mean after what happened in jos? we are stuck on that list.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Fhemmmy: 4:43pm On Jan 25, 2010
bawomolo:

You mean after what happened in jos? we are stuck on that list.

Yes, besides, i heard there has been problems in Sokoto or one of the Northern states . . .so how could the international bodies take Nija serious, when there seems to be tension all the times?
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by 9ja4eva: 6:38am On Jan 26, 2010
Hmm well lets hope they review it.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by EzeUche(m): 6:47am On Jan 26, 2010
Nigeria needs to stay on that list. After the violence in Jos and now I hear it is spreading to other northern states, we all should be fearful of these crazy almajaris!!! angry
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by trueword: 6:52am On Jan 26, 2010
I don't think naija is coming off that list, especially with the new Jos crisis and then Osama coming out and calling Mutallab a hero. The U.S. govt. prob believes Osama has connections for more recruits in naija like Mutallab.

I think what has helped to create the tension in the country was a result of the terror listing. As much as I don't think its correct, it has helped to bring more attention to what is happening in Nigeria especially with Yar'Adua being missing. The listing may have been a blessing in disguise, but only time will truly tell.  If the U.S. can leave ordinary nigerians alone and target these govt. officials who are terrorizing the nigerian people then that would be even better.  The type of tension in the country may be just be is needed to get rid of these terrible people in govt.

If it wasn't for the listing I dont think Maduekwe would have been getting all these questions thrown at him etc and many in the world would have no idea about this situation.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by mamagee3(f): 6:51pm On Jan 26, 2010
No, let them not review it, let them include us
Buncha dunce
. tongue
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by koolchicco: 6:51pm On Jan 26, 2010
Things are gathering momentarily. . .? shocked undecided
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 26, 2010
I fail to see how this is good news (given the current spate of killings in the country.) Jos and Kaduna indigenes and settlers are nothing short of terrorized at the moment and the Dipo Dina incident is the coup de grâce. The opinion of the United States is useless if the existence of citizens of Nigeria (residing in Nigeria) remains threatened!
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by aieromon(m): 7:28pm On Jan 26, 2010
Review is easy.
After review,i bet you we'll be pushed up the list.
Much ado about nothing.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by boyt1: 7:30pm On Jan 26, 2010
U.K. should be No 1 on that list if we are to judge fairly. but Onyibo interest.??

US  has to review that list, 9ja is corrupt yes, but not violet to foreigners or any such inhuman Terror attack on any oversea interest.  we only attack ourselves internally, .like other countries too e.g US & UK . crime: serial shooting and knife attack.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by justright1: 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2010
Nigeria should remain on that list. A country where life is taken without consideration. The loss of lives means nothing to the government either. NAIJA SHOULD REMAIN.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by 4peace(m): 7:42pm On Jan 26, 2010
Na activity jare
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by justright1: 7:45pm On Jan 26, 2010
Nigeria should remain on that list. A country where life is taken without consideration. Loss of lives means nothing to the Government either. NAIJA SHOULD REMAIN ON THAT LIST. I DEY VEX.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Meldrick(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2010
just right:

Nigeria should remain on that list. A country where life is taken without consideration. Loss of lives means nothing to the Government either. NAIJA SHOULD REMAIN ON THAT LIST. I DEY VEX.

Maybe it would have been better if you were a citizen of Zimbabwe, then you smell the terror from Mugabe or a citizen of other African countries who believe in war war war.
sjeezy8:

keep them on the list,

OMO IBO:

its better for Nigeria.

A guy on this forum gave a good Yoruba proverb, he said '' A child does not point to his father's house with the left hand.

Where a lot of people are devoting their time to pray for this nation, people like these are busy with their pessimistic nature bad mouthing, cursing and wishing the nation evil. Well, we are all together in this nation so whether good or bad we shall enjoy it. Keep wishing evil.

@ post

A hasty decision taken by America which was borne out of sentiment. Why didn't they put UK on the list? A disciplined father took his time to warn them on the activities of his son and they disregarded the information but they hastily put us on the list. How many Amerian parents will do that.
Bin laden warned from his latest speech that they are presently training some Americans who turned muslims. With this information, I hope America will put their own names on the watch list.

America!!! A self righteous nation who take actions based on their own selfish interest.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by duality(m): 8:09pm On Jan 26, 2010
THEY BETTER DE-LIST NIGERIA OR I WILL PERSONALLY   FORCE THEM TO DO SO. coz i can.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by kokoye(m): 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2010
If you guys know what Nigerians now go thru when visiting yankee, you wont be supporting naija being on the list. It is embarassing.

And before you say everyone should stay put in their country to avoid embarrassment, be selfless for once and think of other peoples' livelihoods.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Obalende: 8:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
Nigeria should remain on the list. the govt is a terrorist government; nigerians are financial terrorists (419). can u imagine a friend wanted to sign up to paypal and nigeria was not on the list! then nigerians are savages - burning up each other like retarded goons. muttalab was a british student. why hasnt there been religious clashes in london? savages.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2010
Meldrick, I do not need to bad mouth Nigeria.
Nigeria does it to itself already and guess what, looks like they are doing a pretty good job.

For some reason you think taking Nigeria off the list will make any difference.

Pssshhhh.
The deed is done already. . . . thanks to Muttalab. As long you and I  travel with our green passports we will always catch the attention, eyes, thoughts and imaginations of others. . . .

I'd rather all Nigerians were strip searched than have another 'Muttalab' in a plane.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by gigabytes: 8:25pm On Jan 26, 2010
Current Nigerian news
http://nigeriadailynews..com/
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Pataki: 8:27pm On Jan 26, 2010
This does not make any meaning whatsoever. It is just up to a month that the list came out, yet the US is thinking of a review. There must be more to this than it meets the eye.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by SamMilla1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 26, 2010
whatever
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by platinumnk(f): 8:43pm On Jan 26, 2010
It wont do anything. Our name is already tainted in the eyes of the world.

Even if they scribble our names off, it wont do anything.
Re: Good News: Us To Review Hasty Inclusion Of Nigeria To Terror Watch List by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
Why is the senate just reviewing when the executive arm of the US govt took such drastic decision without consulting it.i just hope something positive wil come out of this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If This Was Nigerian Police What Do You Think Will Happen (pics) / Court Of Appeal Sacks 20 PDP Lawmakers In The Rivers State Of Assembly / Breaking!!! Nnamdi Kanu: Fg Lawyers Abscond From Ecowas Court (happening Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.