Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,412 members, 7,830,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Arise O Compatriots - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arise O Compatriots (536 Views)

Peter Obi Replies El-rufai On Arise Tv Live Interview (video) / Arise O Compatriots, Nigeria's Call Obey- Youth Political Activism - Where ? / Arise O Compatriots, Nigeria's Call Obey. Democracy Is Made For You And Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 4:14am On Jun 20, 2017
Change does not occur during election. In his words, John F Kennedy highlights the importance of civic action and public service. He challenged every American to contribute in some way to the public good. He stated “ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”.

The application of knowledge gain, guided by wisdom is what brings about positive change.

Following the post titled, Stop! Read and Act. Let us rise as one nation bound in freedom and effect the necessary changes in Nigeria by demanding from the Acting President Prof Yemi Osinbanjo to repeal with immediate effect paragraph 14 of the Fifth Scedule - Code of Conduct for public servants as contained in our constitution. A genuine leader will listen.

We encourage you, not only to actively participate in this campaign by sharing this message with families, friends and colleagues at home and abroad but also join this great movement by subscribing to our channel on YouTube and signing up on our website at www.ovooprojectfreedom.com

The target is for this message to reach 50 million Nigerians on or before the end of this year. With God, all things are possible.

My name is Oyinkro Andrew Olobio - Founder of Ovoo Project Freedom

God bless you
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
God bless Ovoo Project Freedom
Onwards Forwards Freedom
Re: Arise O Compatriots by nwamehn: 4:22am On Jun 20, 2017
What does this paragraph 14 of the fifth schedule say? Or should people be demanding that the acting president repeals what they don't know about?
Quote the complete text of the supposed paragraph 14 of the fifth schedule for easier awareness creation.

Besides, I don't think that anything contained in the constitution can be repealed by the president, it can only be changed through a constitution amendment process.
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 4:35am On Jun 20, 2017
@Nwamehn: To answer you first question, I refer you to the article posted yesterday on this section titled Stop! Read and Act, there you will find the said paragraph 14 of the Fifth Schedule - Code of Conduct for Public Servants. With regards to your second question, it is very possible for the president to repeal the section of that constitution as it applies to only few applicable few and for their selfish reasons.

I trust the explanation clarifies our position
Re: Arise O Compatriots by nwamehn: 5:15am On Jun 20, 2017
ovoopf:
@Nwamehn: To answer you first question, I refer you to the article posted yesterday on this section titled Stop! Read and Act, there you will find the said paragraph 14 of the Fifth Schedule - Code of Conduct for Public Servants. With regards to your second question, it is very possible for the president to repeal the section of that constitution as it applies to only few applicable few and for their selfish reasons.

I trust the explanation clarifies our position

OK, maybe attaching the link to that other post u were making reference to would have really been nice. I actually had to start searching for Stop! Read and Act through the search tab.
Now, a particular law applying to only FEW doesn't mean it's possible for the president to repeal it. For instance, the law on appointment and screening of ministers according to the constitution applies only to the president and the national assembly, which ar just FEW people but that law cannot be repealed by the president or any single person. It can only be changed through a constitution amendment process. Same goes with this code of conduct laws as well as all other laws enshrined in the constitution.
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 8:23am On Jun 20, 2017
@Nwamehn. We must disagree to agree at a point as I believe we are on the same page with regards to the section of the law. Until proven otherwise, one will assume that the constitution amendment process you are refereeing to is calling for a referendum. You will agree that Nigeria cannot hold a successful referendum now as we are barely able to hold an up to date census and election.

The exemption of members of the legislative houses from key provisions of the Constitution does not pomote transparency, accountability and fairness across board. They are protected and they can choose individuals to protect as well. This has lead to the defrauding of the nation and evasion of justice. The constitution should be a safety net for all without prejudice or bias.

The awareness to such must be created and it is individuals like you and I that seems to understand it can do it. So, why don't you come on board and join this campaign. The campaign is not to divide the nation as religion and tribe has been used to but to bring us together as one nation bound in freedom.
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 8:26am On Jun 20, 2017
I recommend you visit our website for more information on the campaign. Further, you are encourage to sign up. Thank you
Re: Arise O Compatriots by nwamehn: 10:26am On Jun 20, 2017
ovoopf:
@Nwamehn. We must disagree to agree at a point as I believe we are on the same page with regards to the section of the law. Until proven otherwise, one will assume that the constitution amendment process you are refereeing to is calling for a referendum. You will agree that Nigeria cannot hold a successful referendum now as we are barely able to hold an up to date census and election.

The exemption of members of the legislative houses from key provisions of the Constitution does not pomote transparency, accountability and fairness across board. They are protected and they can choose individuals to protect as well. This has lead to the defrauding of the nation and evasion of justice. The constitution should be a safety net for all without prejudice or bias.

The awareness to such must be created and it is individuals like you and I that seems to understand it can do it. So, why don't you come on board and join this campaign. The campaign is not to divide the nation as religion and tribe has been used to but to bring us together as one nation bound in freedom.

Not referendum Sir. Section 9 of the constitution gave room for constitution amendment. It requires the approval of the national assembly and resolutions of the houses of assembly in two-thirds or four-fifths of the states depending on the particular law being amended.
Regarding ur campaign sir, u ar doing very well but don't u think that what is needed more is championing for the restructuring of the nation and not amendment of parts of a constitution that wasn't even drafted by the people of the nation in the first place. The constitution as it is was handed over to us by few and the people were never consulted through a national conference for the drafting of the constitution. If u ar pushing for the amendment of some laws in that book, u will continue to push because so many parts of that constitution deserve amendment.
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 11:36am On Jun 20, 2017
I must commend your prompt response and attention to details. I wish most Nigerians act in like matter rather than complaining and doing nothing about the situation. I understand that the people were not consulted prior to it been drafted but was handed over to us. However, according the saying, "if you don't like the oil but because you love to eat the yam, you will take the oil". The truth of the matter is, the most part of the constitution is good, if the parts we considered to be good were implemented Nigeria, will not be in its present state.

The section in question favours the legislator, then how do we expect them to amend it, "dog no dey chop dog". Not until you are (the people) rise up and put pressure on the Acting President, nothing will change, we will only be running in circles.

Let the record reflect that we are not against restructuring. If the foundation itself is bad, no amount of restructuring we try to put in place will last. The founding members of our organisation have travelled wide particularly to countries that make their system work and inspite of all their fault, they still make it work, they always refer back to constitution. Example is the recent event in the US with regards to the first executive order made by Donald Trump. I was in the UK when the people went to the polls to exit the EU, something I personally support as the EU was becoming something else. Today the sky has not fallen but that is not the case with Nigeria, we probably think if we stand up for a change the sky will fall.

In our post titled, Nigeria Constitution Simplified, it was stated and now reiterating that any solution proffer outside the constitution will never work because
in it lies the fundamental principles according to which a nation, state, corporation, or the like, is governed.

Let the record also reflect that Nigeria, to a large extent has a good Constitution.
Re: Arise O Compatriots by feelgoodInc: 11:48am On Jun 20, 2017
erudite professor oyinbo men, voice of reason
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
@feelgoodlnc; We are all professors, including yousmiley
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ZorGBUooeh: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
Which compatriots?Ovoo take ur time oo.. angry
Re: Arise O Compatriots by ovoopf(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2017
@zorGBUooeh. Are you not a Patriots?

(1) (Reply)

Kachikwu Rejects OPEC Oil Cap On Production, Begins Plans For An Oil War / "Buhari Is NOT Better, He Will NEVER Return, Osinbajo STOP The Lies” – Fani Says / Born To Rule? See a PCM's Response to NYSC's Facebook Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.