Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,021 members, 7,953,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:02 AM

The Benefits Of Sadness - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Benefits Of Sadness (480 Views)

Pls Help, My Happiness Is About To Be Turn To Sadness / The Sadness Within (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Benefits Of Sadness by Opinionated: 9:48am On Jun 21, 2017
By Amanda Ihemebiri (Psychotherapist)

Many of us have come to believe that the good life is one that is filled with constant happiness and excitement. We forget or choose not to acknowledge that sorrow and misery are fundamental parts of the human experience that we will encounter daily.

Sadness is not always a sign of a mental illness that needs to be cured or a situation that we need to escape quickly from or be drawn out of. It is an emotional state that we should seek out from time to time and be patient enough to let ourselves experience as we would happiness.

It creates a time for sober reflection during which we give ourselves the chance to be more honest about our limitations, our failures and our flaws. It reminds us of our humanity, that some things are completely out of our control, that it will not always work out the way we want it to, that bad things will happen to good people, and it is difficult for us to have everything we wish, pray or work hard for.

In the absence of anger and pain, sadness opens us up to the realization that suffering is not for us alone, that life has not singled us out to punish us, and therefore, creates an opportunity for us to sow a seed of kindness and love in each other’s lives. We come to understand that we are all in pain and it affects every single one of us irrespective of our racial, ethnic, socio-economic and religious differences.

Patiently taking its lessons to heart will make us kinder, more loving and compassionate towards those around us knowing that we are all fighting same battle.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/the-benefits-of-sadness/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: The Benefits Of Sadness by BrightEye(m): 10:11am On Jun 21, 2017
this reminds me of the word masochism.... is it in anyway related to your article?
Re: The Benefits Of Sadness by Benjom(m): 10:16am On Jun 21, 2017
Tell me something undecided

#Anything-Good-Is-Wonderful

Re: The Benefits Of Sadness by Ezionye(f): 10:32am On Jun 21, 2017
Lolz grin grin

Oops, my bad. Shdnt be shinning teeth on a sadness thread
Re: The Benefits Of Sadness by Opinionated: 12:27pm On Jun 21, 2017
BrightEye:
this reminds me of the word masochism.... is it in anyway related to your article?

Whether we like it or not, there will be times in life when we are sad. The article is simply saying there might be positives to be taken out of such situations not that anyone should go looking for sorrow.

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Sadness by BrightEye(m): 12:42pm On Jun 21, 2017
Yes I agree. Life's a teacher, anything we experience is meant to make us 'grow up' in life.

(1) (Reply)

Why Always During Marriage Preparation. / Www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/wife-loves-juju-much-man-tells-court/ / Cause Of Teenage Insecurities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.