Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill (70072 Views)

Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Loses In Court / Kidnapper, Evans Arraigned In Court (Photos) / Nigerian Excretes 1410.9 Grams Of Cocaine, Faces Death Penalty In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by rexesq(m): 9:23am On Jun 22, 2017
ikp120:
undecided So the law was not even in force as at the time of his arrest? undecided undecided

That alone makes me doubt if he will be sentenced to death.

This is also another clause any lawyer can exploit to beat death sentence because none of his victims died in their custody.

I don't support him. That's just my perspective.

besides, the time of crime and law must correspond.

the question to ask is, at the time of the the alleged commission of the offense, what was the prescribed punishment?

it is against our laws to make a law after an arrest, yo define a crime and prescribe punishment. that will be an injustice.

if there was no known punishment for kidnapping in Lagos... sorry, the hangman noose will never knot against Evans. quote me anytime any where. check my signature.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Jumbus31(m): 9:49am On Jun 22, 2017
Joyzeey:

I know u are one of De Arewa youth wat about shekau ur Broda una don kill am. Make thunder strike DAT ur useless mouth for calling me olosho, I bleep ur papa collect ur skul fees go shopping idiot
Apparently you're one baby factory products, fatherless child.

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Jumbus31(m): 9:50am On Jun 22, 2017
Joyzeey:

I know u are one of De Arewa youth wat about shekau ur Broda una don kill am. Make thunder strike DAT ur useless mouth for calling me olosho, I bleep ur papa collect ur skul fees go shopping idiot
Apparently you're one of those baby factory products, fatherless child.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by ndcide(m): 9:58am On Jun 22, 2017
Daboomb:

What story do you want to see when they are ye to be CAUGHT?
Or you just want some other story to be used to cover the KIDNAP KING Chukwudi Onwuamadike (popularly known as Evans, from Nnewi, Anambra State),story, abi?

Just watch, it will be another Nyamirin that did it and they will be caught.

These tribe that is always bringing disgrace to themselves, anywhere they go, ehn?
angry angry

I'm not interested in who did it. I'm not from the south east. My point is that. School girls were kidnapped and we accused the government of doing nothing and pressured them to action. Even when it was political.

Now school boys have been kidnapped and no campaign for their release, no pressure on government to act. Seun is not interested, he has non of it on his platform, he didn't open threads himself, as a civic duty. tunde bakare hasn't bothered to mention it in his sermons. Check all the radio and TV stations they are not interested.

All Seun and his ilk wants is an Evans, who will have his day in court.

Every valid point made on the chibok girls issue can be made on this issue and it will still be valid.

Where are those who told us that if you can't rescue an abducted person within 48 hours, it becomes difficult. Where are they.

The way the kidnapped boys issue is having media blackout, further gives credence to the fact that, the Chibok girls abduction was high level politics.

How will the parents of the boys feel that those who championed the Chibokgirls campaign are not interested in their abducted boys for so long.

Where are those who put the pictures of the girls at Falomo, ikoyi, where are those who put the countdown to the release of the chibok girls on newspaper?

That's my point.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by onyxo76(m): 10:11am On Jun 22, 2017
I won't be surprised if nothing happens to this Evans fellow, he will be freed very soon. Except we move his case to China
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Kendroid: 10:26am On Jun 22, 2017
One thing good about a bad thing is that "IT DOES NOT LAST!!!!".
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by aribisala0(m): 10:45am On Jun 22, 2017
Kendroid:
One thing good about a bad thing is that "IT DOES NOT LAST!!!!".
that is equally true about good things. NOTHING lasts

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Joyzeey(f): 11:02am On Jun 22, 2017
Jumbus31:
Apparently you're one of those baby factory products, fatherless child.
Quote me again and die
Na me kill ur mama?
Na me make u jobless?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by gentleedu(m): 11:16am On Jun 22, 2017
NubiLove:
no that was a rumour and the prison authorities came out to say that Kabiru Sokoto is still in their custody serving his life imprisonment sentence.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/christmas-day-bomber-kabiru-sokoto-still-custody-says-prisons-spokesman-2/

how sure are you that it's a rumour?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Jumbus31(m): 11:55am On Jun 22, 2017
Joyzeey:

Quote me again and die
Na me kill ur mama?
Na me make u jobless?

Some of you kids will insult the wrong person one day. I keep saying this. There is no street cred online. You're just too daft.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Daboomb: 12:12pm On Jun 22, 2017
ikp120:
Bro, a suspect's testimony, the victims' testimony and objective and verified evidences are the ONLY things that a criminal legal case CAN be based on. Sentiment or assumptions are not tenable bro. If there's gun in his house, it's simply a case of carrying fire arms without licence. The only issue here is the policeman who died in their kidnap attempt (he wasn't the target, neither did he die in their custody. It was a gun battle)

And what's the problem if a lawyer defends a kidnapper? undecided undecided Everyone has a right to a lawyer. Of course you have a right to freedom of speech as well. Hehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin

Let's watch and see. This case will end as life imprisonment. I have said that over and over again. This article was about the kidnapping law, and folks were using it as the basis for death sentence for him. But it obviously isn't the basis because none of his victims "died in their custody" as the law clearly stipulated. The law is VERY explicit. You no need torchlight to read am. LMAO grin grin grin.

I will say it again for the records, this case will end as life imprisonment, not death sentence.

I don't support him or what he did.

But as I'm looking at it, it's obvious that Evans will plead guilty because he said that he wants to die. If he does that, there's every likelihood that he will be sentenced to life imprisonment.

I wont argue with you because of FREE SPEECH.
I have copied a post by another Nairalander, for your prompt attention and digestion, especially the bolded parts.

AribisalaO: Chapter 36
Stealing with Violence: Extortion by Threats

401. Any person who steals anything, and, at or immediately before or immediately after the time of stealing it, uses or threatens to use actual violence to any person or property in order to obtain or retain the thing stolen or to prevent or overcome resistance to its being stolen or retained, is said to be guilty of robbery.

402. (1) Any person who commits the offence of robbery shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for not

(2) If-

(a) any offender mentioned in subsection (1) of this section is armed with any firearms or any offensive weapon or any obnoxious or chemical materials or is in company with any person so armed; or

(b) at or immediately before or immediately after the time of robbery, the said offender wounds any person, the offender shall upon conviction be sentenced to death.

403. (1) Any person who with intent to steal anything, assaults any other person and at or immediately after the time of assault, uses or threatens to use actual violence to any other person or any property in order to obtain the thing intended to be stolen shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than fourteen years but not more than twenty years.

(2) If-

(a) any offender mentioned in subsection (1) of this section, is armed with any firearms or any offensive weapon or is in company with any other person so armed; or

(b) at or immediately before or immediately after the time of the assault the said offender wounds [/b]or uses any other personal violence to any person, the offender shall upon conviction be [b]sentenced to imprisonment for life with or without whipping.

(3) Any person found in any public place in possession of any firearms whether real or imitation and in circumstances reasonably indicating that the possession of the firearms is with intent to the immediate or eventual commission by that person or any other person of any offence under section 402 of this Act shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than fourteen years nor more than twenty years.

403A. A[b]ny person who conspires with any person to commit an offence under section 402 of this Act whether or not he is present when the offence is committed or attempted to be committed, shall be deemed to be guilty of the offence as a principal offender[/b] and shall be punished accordingly.

Take time to pull everything together and just hope for the best for Evans grin grin grin

Rest in Pieces, Chukwudubem alias Evans.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Halo22: 12:13pm On Jun 22, 2017
So there is no such in Lagos....Come down here in the east and kidnap, then you are gone by execution if caught by the heartless men of AKS.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by DONFRANSKID(m): 1:27pm On Jun 22, 2017
farem:
Is this English or Portuguese?
Any one u call it
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2017
how sure are you that evans has been captured by the police.

gentleedu:
how sure are you that it's a rumour?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Rainmaker69(m): 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2017
azimibraun:
So now you expect us to see you as one brilliant guy right? The only brilliance you would have displayed is to have known that the bill was signed into law by Governor Ambode earlier this year before Evans even committed some of the crimes. Besides didnt you hear Evan confessed his attempt to kidnap the owner of the young shall grow led to the death of 3 Police officers and some of his own Men?

Did you even read or understand my post before rushing to comment? Why you no go yarn off point? The story is still developing, the acts were carried out across State lines, the guy was arrested by a Federal Task Force of the Nigerian Police. The prosecution may be Federal or State or a combination of both or even all.

In case you don't get my point, I'll break it down for you son:
The headline and story are misleading. The headline presumes that the Bill was just signed when in fact it had been signed earlier this year. The story also erroneously does not take all the angles into consideration especially considering the fact that other States have enacted the same law since 2016. This means that if Lagos wants a piece of the action under that law, they are only restricted to acts carried out after the law came into force.
That's not news, Vanguard is doing you a disservice by shoving that story in your face, you need to raise your standards a little.

PS: Keep your compliment, I know my mental capabilities, you should focus on developing yours.

2 Likes

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by gentleedu(m): 5:24pm On Jun 22, 2017
NubiLove:
how sure are you that evans has been captured by the police.

its all over the news
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 22, 2017
well, it was over the news that Kabiru Sokoto is still serving his prison sentence when the rumour/report came out that he has been released.

gentleedu:
its all over the news

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by tonquendo4u(m): 8:48pm On Jun 22, 2017
It won't affect Evans. He will b judged by d law at hand at d time he committed d crime
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by linearity: 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2017
ikp120:
He made it clear that none of his victims died in his custody. I've been following this case carefully, so I can tell without bating an eyelid that this is simply life imprisonment, not death sentence as most people are thinking. As for the police man who died in the kidnap attempt, any good lawyer can beat that off because he made it clear that he himself doesn't carry guns but the gang members. He's more like the CEO.

It's only in Nigeria that if one is looking at a criminal from a different perspective he will be seen as being part of the crime.

If I were to be a lawyer, I would have loved to flex my legal muscles small by taking up a case like this. The thing dey sweet wella.grin grin grin

I'm just exploring another perspective to this case, not supporting him.

Ok, I see your angle now...However, remember that lots of case laws and precedents exist to charge and convict a leader for the crimes of his gang, even if he/she was not actively involved in that crime as long as the crime was committed in process of actualizing the main objective of the group, which in this case is Kingnapping.

I have even read case laws, where the gang members are given a deal they can't afford to loss in other to serve as witness against their leader. What I see in this case is...Evan will plead guilty and get life sentence in exchange he will cooperate with authorities to get other criminal
element, the guy is already singing, implicating his wife, etc; he will take any deal to save his children of the humiliation from a public trial and a gamble at possible death penalty. This way, both sides can declare some measure of victory.

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by maasoap(m): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2017
ikp120:
Please provide the link to where it was published. Evans made it clear that no one died in their custody.
You're very funny. Honestly, were you expecting Evans to admit that they tortured their victims who were unable to pay 1 million dollars (400 million naira) to death? All these sympathise sef.

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by ikp120(m): 10:06pm On Jun 22, 2017
maasoap:

You're very funny. Honestly, were you expecting Evans to admit that they tortured their victims who were unable to pay 1 million dollars (400 million naira) to death? All these sympathise sef.
Cases are not based on assumptions or sentiments but proofs. People like you CANNOT be judges because you will sentence people based on assumptions and sentiments.

I am not a sympathiser, just looking at the case without sentiments or assumptions.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Daboomb: 1:14am On Jun 23, 2017
ikp120:
Cases are not based on assumptions or sentiments but proofs. People like you CANNOT be judges because you will sentence people based on assumptions and sentiments.

I am not a sympathiser, just looking at the case without sentiments or assumptions.

l guess it is "Ghosts" that killed those three Policemen, during one of Evans kidnap operations, in Festac Lagos?
......Since Evans said nobody died and we are supposed to believe him?
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by maasoap(m): 3:48pm On Jun 24, 2017
ikp120:

But you would rather believe what Evans d criminal had to claim about what he did and didn't do than believe what the police are saying.
Firstly, there was a man who paid 1.2 million dollars before his release. He claimed that a victim was tortured to death. I believe that you would believe Evans than believing the man.
Secondly: https://www.nairaland.com/3879835/chikelue-iloenyosi-evans-kidnapped-killed
“He immediately told us that his leader was Evans. But he said there was no way we could get Evans because he had fled to Lagos after the completion of the operation. At this point, Nonso kept our hope alive. He said my father was still alive. He refused to give precise information,” Chikelue told our correspondent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Joy Odama: Alhaji Usman Adamu, The Prime Suspect In Her Death Appears / "Lady Tried To Touch My Manhood In A Car & Her Boyfriend Slapped Me In Ibadan" / Godbless Uwadiegwu: Nurse Sentenced For Sexually Abusing Patients In US (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.