Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience (18146 Views)

Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment / Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by deebest8(m): 10:34pm On Jun 22, 2017
Due to traffic and distance to my office, I decided to move from my previous location at Ikorudu to Orile Iganmu so that I will be closer to my office which is located around constain, While searching I saw an agent number and decide to call (09097079102), What really attracted me since I was kind of desperate was the note I saw which was ‘pay and pack’.

I was taken to the house which I found okay for my standard, little building renovation is needed (fixing the door mainly) it’s a semi new house. I spoke to the supposed developer or caretaker of the house named Akinola he explained how the house was given to him to manage, I was curious (I had some doubts in me though). The next day, I went to the street nearby to ask from shop owners around the house to make inquiries about the house, they gave me a go ahead that the owner is genuine; all this was on the 11th of June.

On the 13th of June I went to the house and still saw the same people with all of this I was rest assured that am paying the right people, I made a transfer of 180,000.00 to diamond bank account number 0054904265 ATANDA TAJUDIN YUSUF and I was giving a receipt and agreement, (I was again assured because the guy is a Muslim and claimed to be fasting, which gave me assurance that it was genuine). I was told to come and collect the key by 25th of June as the room would have been fully renovated. I decide to check on the place to see how the work is going on Tuesday 20th of June, I met people inside the house fighting and smoking marijuana, they said the room belongs to them with the same receipt I have with me.

I later got to know that the man Mr Atanda collected close to 9 million from other people for same room(there was like 6 rooms in the upper apartment), I was stunned to say the least, we were up to 22 with same receipt, we concluded to report the matter to police station but some of us disagree that we should called the Ijo people (Landlord Association), We called them and they brought some police man which later sent everybody out of the house and lock the whole house including the church that was downstairs in the house, after that we were told to go the police station to make statements, when we got to the station(Orile Iganmu or so), the police started their usual rhetoric. They said they cannot arrest him. I just left the police station with anger and disappointment.

Another thing that baffled was that a church was below the apartment. I wonder whether a church who claimed to be serving God doesn’t know about the fraud on this apartment. They acted dumb all through. I know the building would be opened very soon. I know the police have been bribed by their actions and activities. I saw pregnant women and families that were already prepared to move but were defrauded of their money

I am sad and depressed to say the least, I used my last card to get this apartment, now am stuck. We were up to 30 people that were defrauded

Many families were defrauded. Some paid time 4 of what I paid. I don’t have faith in Nigerian police.

People should also learn from this when looking for apartment in Lagos. There are fraudsters all over using name of religion and ethnicity.

Please if anyone knows how I can reclaim my money. I will so much appreciate it.

Thank you.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by deebest8(m): 10:39pm On Jun 22, 2017
other pictures

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by deebest8(m): 10:41pm On Jun 22, 2017
others

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by deebest8(m): 10:42pm On Jun 22, 2017
please mod take to the front page for more views and people to learn

lalasticlala, mynd44, seun

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Abdullateef77(m): 10:47pm On Jun 22, 2017
frontpage Asap..
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 22, 2017
lalasticlacla, leave zee works and cum fast
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by auntysimbiat(f): 10:57pm On Jun 22, 2017
Too bad
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by twinskenny(m): 11:06pm On Jun 22, 2017
WOW
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by banjicom(m): 11:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
O ga oooo,
Where is dis country heading to?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by 7footre(m): 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2017
Naija I de hail o
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by chloride6: 1:19am On Jun 23, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Naija I hail ooh.

You goofed when you agreed to come back for key.

All this pay let us renovate the place is risky.

The standard is to pay and drop all 3 or 4 keys immediately.

As per your money, you can get it back sha.

Don't go in group, he obviously can't pay you all.

However he may be able to give you part of the payment, maybe like 150.

But be warned, guys like this do jazz like crazy. Hope say you dey strong grin

Look for barracks around you, forget the police is in his pocket. Agreed like 30k with the army guy.

Army no be police, the guy go shiver.

Best of luck.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by alukstea(m): 1:26am On Jun 23, 2017
chloride6:
grin grin grin grin

Naija I hail ooh.

Look for barracks around you, forget the police is in his pocket. Agreed like 30k with the army guy.

Best of luck.

I think the OP should go with this but then again pay the army 30k? Na real wa.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by chloride6: 1:27am On Jun 23, 2017
alukstea:

No be one guy job, like 4 guys go do the job.

That's like 7500 each. It's not too much sha

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by bmatty123: 2:10am On Jun 23, 2017
Make una try arraign army oo.. na d best b dat.. best of luck

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by raumdeuter: 3:31am On Jun 23, 2017
lalasticlala
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by doctore89: 5:57am On Jun 23, 2017
chloride6:
grin grin grin grin

Naija I hail ooh.

Best of luck.

I don't think the owner/developer of the house is around fron the write up. I think he has run away

Who do they arrest if you suggest army should be used

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Dexema(m): 8:29am On Jun 23, 2017
This case should be reported to the Lagos state government parastatal in charge of housing and the owner of the property should be served a notice to come answer pertinent questions or the property should be taken over by the state.

The atanda fraudster also needs to spend a few years in jail.

42 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by ephi321(f): 9:14am On Jun 23, 2017
Very unfair. I hope you get justice.

Too many dishonest Nigerians, and these ones will later be shouting government.

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 23, 2017
holy moly
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 23, 2017
How can police say they can't arrest him? See why jungle justice prevails??

20 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by ebby9z(m): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2017
Dexema:
This case should be reported to the Lagos state government parastatal in charge of housing and the owner of the property should be served a notice to come answer pertinent questions or the property should be taken over by the state.

The atanda fraudster also needs to spend a few years in jail.
I think this is the best thing to do. once the state government is involved, even the police will sit up to do their job. Write a petition and post on various social media platforms.

14 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by UncutSk(m): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2017
Kg
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by RELAN2446(m): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2017
U can jst decide to burn the house, no time. Doing it in the mid night will be cool. No time next.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by diablos: 9:18am On Jun 23, 2017
Wheres EFCC when u need them? Dude jst get to the nearest efcc office and drag any officer u see there to the location undecided

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by mhiztaNexy(m): 9:19am On Jun 23, 2017
and someone was singing and hailing fraudsters and the other was supporting like it is really a good thing. this is just the beginning, continue till we make the whole nation unbearable for ourselves. Some idiots even post fake betslips , data bundles and free recharge card promo here to scam people and the mods are doing nothing, it's alright,continue. it shouldn't be Nigerians again,Scammerians sounds better. Op,sorry for ur loss.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Omotayor123(f): 9:19am On Jun 23, 2017
Lagos And Wayo.... 5&6 undecided I wonder how the bubble burst after all of you have fully paid.

Op I think you can trace him through the bank if only the police are willing to help.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by chronique(m): 9:20am On Jun 23, 2017
Never pay rent to an agent. Pay to the landlord or lawyer (with a verifiable office).

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by iyobs7(f): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2017
A sensible government will take over the house issuing a warning of take over if no one comes forward to claim the apartment, fear of demolition and possible complete take over would make the owner come forward.

13 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by wellmax(m): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2017
This is sad. The guy MUST be arrested
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by tayo200(m): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2017
I hate Lagos...too many fraud activities

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by ayindejimmy(m): 9:23am On Jun 23, 2017
alukstea:

If he goes with this and army tortured and killed the guy, what happens next?

Army no get control button o

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by alcmene: 9:23am On Jun 23, 2017
I can bet anything..... that house has been sold to an Igbo man long ago...

The old indigenous caretaker is only vesting his anger and frustration on unsuspecting people while awaiting the arrival of the original owner

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VATICAN GARDEN ASABA, CALL US NOW FOR THIS AMAZING DISCOUNT / Aluminium Windows And Doors / Cost Of Rent In Plateau State Nigeria| Cotenant.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.