Stats: 3,159,074 members, 7,838,716 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience (18172 Views)

Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment / Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Fingerprinter(m): 10:02am On Jun 23, 2017
RELAN2446:
U can jst decide to burn the house, no time. Doing it in the mid night will be cool. No time next.

This was the first thought that came to my mind.
If i were the Op, i would just organize the other guys and we make sure that we burn the house.

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 23, 2017
This is terrible but what makes it worst is the statement by the Police that they can't Arrest the Criminal.
What the hell!!!.
Is this not the government that promised us Zero tolerance for corruption not to talk of stealing?.
Yet the police can no longer arrest criminals as though thieves and fraudsters now have immunity in this country.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by tabithababy(f): 10:10am On Jun 23, 2017
chloride6:

Naija I hail ooh.

You goofed when you agreed to come back for key.

All this pay let us renovate the place is risky.

The standard is to pay and drop all 3 or 4 keys immediately.

As per your money, you can get it back sha.

Don't go in group, he obviously can't pay you all.

However he may be able to give you part of the payment, maybe like 150.

But be warned, guys like this do jazz like crazy. Hope say you dey strong grin

Look for barracks around you, forget the police is in his pocket. Agreed like 30k with the army guy.

Army no be police, the guy go shiver.

Best of luck.

Please i dont understand the standard. you mean pay and collect the key immediately after payment or how biko
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Lexusgs430: 10:11am On Jun 23, 2017
Lagos State, a state you must sleep with your eyes wide open .......
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Bizgold: 10:14am On Jun 23, 2017
HAS HE WITHDRAW ALL THE MONEY FROM THE ACCOUNT??

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by DEBJOCH1(m): 10:23am On Jun 23, 2017
Welcome to Lagos.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 23, 2017
So,non of you could get a petrol and do the needful instantly!!!
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2017
Sacluxpaint:
How can police say they can't arrest him? See why jungle justice prevails??
you just said what i had in mind.
I shake head for naija

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 23, 2017
Guy simply write a petition to the EFCC. They'll handle it
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Freethought(m): 10:47am On Jun 23, 2017
deebest8:
Due to traffic and distance to my office, I decided to move from my previous location at Ikorudu to Orile Iganmu so that I will be closer to my office which is located around constain, While searching I saw an agent number and decide to call (09097079102), What really attracted me since I was kind of desperate was the note I saw which was ‘pay and pack’.

I was taken to the house which I found okay for my standard, little building renovation is needed (fixing the door mainly) it’s a semi new house. I spoke to the supposed developer or caretaker of the house named Akinola he explained how the house was given to him to manage, I was curious (I had some doubts in me though). The next day, I went to the street nearby to ask from shop owners around the house to make inquiries about the house, they gave me a go ahead that the owner is genuine; all this was on the 11th of June.

On the 13th of June I went to the house and still saw the same people with all of this I was rest assured that am paying the right people, I made a transfer of 180,000.00 to diamond bank account number 0054904265 ATANDA TAJUDIN YUSUF and I was giving a receipt and agreement, (I was again assured because the guy is a Muslim and claimed to be fasting, which gave me assurance that it was genuine). I was told to come and collect the key by 25th of June as the room would have been fully renovated. I decide to check on the place to see how the work is going on Tuesday 20th of June, I met people inside the house fighting and smoking marijuana, they said the room belongs to them with the same receipt I have with me.

I later got to know that the man Mr Atanda collected close to 9 million from other people for same room(there was like 6 rooms in the upper apartment), I was stunned to say the least, we were up to 22 with same receipt, we concluded to report the matter to police station but some of us disagree that we should called the Ijo people (Landlord Association), We called them and they brought some police man which later sent everybody out of the house and lock the whole house including the church that was downstairs in the house, after that we were told to go the police station to make statements, when we got to the station(Orile Iganmu or so), the police started their usual rhetoric. They said they cannot arrest him. I just left the police station with anger and disappointment.

Another thing that baffled was that a church was below the apartment. I wonder whether a church who claimed to be serving God doesn’t know about the fraud on this apartment. They acted dumb all through. I know the building would be opened very soon. I know the police have been bribed by their actions and activities. I saw pregnant women and families that were already prepared to move but were defrauded of their money

I am sad and depressed to say the least, I used my last card to get this apartment, now am stuck. We were up to 30 people that were defrauded

Many families were defrauded. Some paid time 4 of what I paid. I don’t have faith in Nigerian police.

People should also learn from this when looking for apartment in Lagos. There are fraudsters all over using name of religion and ethnicity.

Please if anyone knows how I can reclaim my money. I will so much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Well, I don't think I have a solution for you.

You had the feeling that it wasn't genuine but yu went ahead anyway. That's bad!

In lagos, I pay for rent in front of the proposed apartment with the agent holding the key. Hand over the key to me and I wire you your money instantly.. Meanwhile I also go with new padlocks and key so immediately you hand over the key, I change it to the new one..

Also, I always stay at least 1 month in the area I wish to rent house in before approaching any agent
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by obidevine(m): 10:47am On Jun 23, 2017
chronique:
Never pay rent to an agent. Pay to the landlord or lawyer (with a verifiable office).

Very correct
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by obidevine(m): 10:48am On Jun 23, 2017
I've been in this real estate business for a while, I advice my clients to pay directly to an account provided by the property owner, don't even pay into the lawyer's account, pay into the asset owner's account. That's my take.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by frazegidi(m): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2017
[quote author=deebest8 post=57765699] Due to traffic and distance to my office, I decided to move from my previous location at Ikorudu to Orile Iganmu so that I will be closer to my office which is located around constain, While searching I saw an agent number and decide to call (09097079102), What really attracted me since I was kind of desperate was the note I saw which was ‘pay and pack’.

I also got duped by this man. I pay for a room and parlour self contain 350k and he promised I will move in on Saturday after seeing the lawyer. only for me to hear the latest story.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by omobabaonibaba(m): 10:58am On Jun 23, 2017
what I know is that I can't pay a house who's under renovation

if you're not going through pay and pack method, I won't give a penny

op, you too fuvked up though I won't blame u much sha we are bound to do mistake. when someone had already breached pay and pack in method u saw online or wherever u saw it and u still went ahead to pay the money despite u know is under renovation, that alone should ve given u a warning sign

I hope u get the money back because is nt easy for an hustler loosing such money at dis point in time
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by kumulus(m): 11:03am On Jun 23, 2017
Anyone else noticed the yorubas on that least didn't pay above 200k......... My guess would be the southerners are new entries!
lipsrsealed

Welcome to Lagos, Ciry of hustlers.

OP, take heart ehn....
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Chukazu: 11:08am On Jun 23, 2017
diablos:
Wheres EFCC when u need them? Dude jst get to the nearest efcc office and drag any officer u see there to the location undecided

The EFCC cannot just come from nowhere, someone has to invite them ,so it's Left for the victims to do the needful
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by bay30: 11:14am On Jun 23, 2017
Dexema:
This case should be reported to the Lagos state government parastatal in charge of housing and the owner of the property should be served a notice to come answer pertinent questions or the property should be taken over by the state.

The atanda fraudster also needs to spend a few years in jail.

The bank account n name where the money was paid in should be used in collabration with the bank by security operatives to trap such individual. Banks should be able to assist security agencies by providing details to them or freezing the account to make the person surface for questioning n probably arrest.

Our law enforcement agents should be watching dstv channel 170 ( crime investigation) , and see how their mates abroad work with intelligence n dedication.

Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by ipobarecriminals: 11:19am On Jun 23, 2017
Chukazu:

The EFCC cannot just come from nowhere, someone has to invite them ,so it's Left for the victims to do the needful
which EFCC? One Alhaji with mecca golden teeth like Dat scammed some pipe closed to 100 Milla about 5 yrs ago.The flats is @ the back of Ajiwe police station, Ajah.They reported to EFCC/SSS,whosai,! Alhaji Don disappeared into thin air up till now.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Logisticalguy: 11:20am On Jun 23, 2017
deebest8:
Due to traffic and distance to my office, I decided to move from my previous location at Ikorudu to Orile Iganmu so that I will be closer to my office which is located around constain, While searching I saw an agent number and decide to call (09097079102), What really attracted me since I was kind of desperate was the note I saw which was ‘pay and pack’.

I was taken to the house which I found okay for my standard, little building renovation is needed (fixing the door mainly) it’s a semi new house. I spoke to the supposed developer or caretaker of the house named Akinola he explained how the house was given to him to manage, I was curious (I had some doubts in me though). The next day, I went to the street nearby to ask from shop owners around the house to make inquiries about the house, they gave me a go ahead that the owner is genuine; all this was on the 11th of June.

On the 13th of June I went to the house and still saw the same people with all of this I was rest assured that am paying the right people, I made a transfer of 180,000.00 to diamond bank account number 0054904265 ATANDA TAJUDIN YUSUF and I was giving a receipt and agreement, (I was again assured because the guy is a Muslim and claimed to be fasting, which gave me assurance that it was genuine). I was told to come and collect the key by 25th of June as the room would have been fully renovated. I decide to check on the place to see how the work is going on Tuesday 20th of June, I met people inside the house fighting and smoking marijuana, they said the room belongs to them with the same receipt I have with me.

I later got to know that the man Mr Atanda collected close to 9 million from other people for same room(there was like 6 rooms in the upper apartment), I was stunned to say the least, we were up to 22 with same receipt, we concluded to report the matter to police station but some of us disagree that we should called the Ijo people (Landlord Association), We called them and they brought some police man which later sent everybody out of the house and lock the whole house including the church that was downstairs in the house, after that we were told to go the police station to make statements, when we got to the station(Orile Iganmu or so), the police started their usual rhetoric. They said they cannot arrest him. I just left the police station with anger and disappointment.

Another thing that baffled was that a church was below the apartment. I wonder whether a church who claimed to be serving God doesn’t know about the fraud on this apartment. They acted dumb all through. I know the building would be opened very soon. I know the police have been bribed by their actions and activities. I saw pregnant women and families that were already prepared to move but were defrauded of their money

I am sad and depressed to say the least, I used my last card to get this apartment, now am stuck. We were up to 30 people that were defrauded

Many families were defrauded. Some paid time 4 of what I paid. I don’t have faith in Nigerian police.

People should also learn from this when looking for apartment in Lagos. There are fraudsters all over using name of religion and ethnicity.

Please if anyone knows how I can reclaim my money. I will so much appreciate it.

Thank you.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by terrynonny(m): 11:38am On Jun 23, 2017
Bros, the best thing for you to do is KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER.

Thank me later.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by layonke: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2017
papadee93:

Please don't go with this advice it may backfire

*modified *

Write a formal petition to the dpo of that station, if nothing is done, write a petition to the CP asking for a transfer of the case.

Be rest assured that your money may be gone but that the thief will not have the opportunity to that again.

I assure you when he sees you are serious with the case he will call for settlement.

DPO koor, DPO ni. Abegi, go get soldier. E go tremble
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by layonke: 11:45am On Jun 23, 2017
[quote author=frazegidi post=57777210][/quote]

Sorry, the easiest and fastest way to get an apartment is online. Visit www.tolet.com.ng they are sure of reliable agents. You can also get our magazine PROPERTY PRO for genuine listings in Lagos.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by SammyJac(m): 11:49am On Jun 23, 2017
The building in question is located in Coker very close to the newly commissioned Opere street. I know that building but never imagined that such monumental fraud and criminality could be perpetrated there. The number of defrauded people I saw there two days was alarming. From my discussions with some of the victims, it was a carefully planned scam by the parties involved. Some parted with 650,000, 400,000 and 300,000 respectively.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by DatLagboi(m): 11:49am On Jun 23, 2017
I Don laugh tire
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by davillian(m): 11:50am On Jun 23, 2017
Throw Molotov cocktails on the building @ night.
Target the windows and don't miss.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 23, 2017
Mchweew lagos my foot, i don't like that city
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by godquality: 12:08pm On Jun 23, 2017
Better send a petition to EFCC. It's under their purview because it's fraud. The police won't do anything. Normally the bank account should've be frozen by now but with police officers that didn't even finish primary school, the sum of their collective IQ is not up to 50. Especially since you said he collected close to 9million from you guys, he will settle those police like 2million then case will die.
Re: How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience by maradelkitchen(f): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2017
For those shouting Lagos, it happens everywhere.

I was a victim in Enugu,we paid for a newly constructed house,the night we packed in,the Carpenter working in the house told us that the madam that owns the house has instructed him to stop work.

To cut the story the man we paid to was the former landlord,and he has sold the house to the madam
For the year we spent in that house the madam was always serving us court invite.
Both the former and new landlord are barrister.

Mai Deribe Mansion In Maiduguri / Plots Of Land For Sale @ Platinum Park Estate (magboro) Nigeria (With Pictures) / Lagos Tenant Hospitalised As Landlady Breaks Into Apartment