Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,866 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers (14414 Views)

FG To Pay For Free Power Supply, Says Discos / Discos, FG Agree On 2 Months Free Electricity For Nigerians / NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by dee02(m): 3:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
persius555:
This is smart and progressive instead of complaining.
Absolutely.
Way to go...... The amount of work required to fix the power issues in this country is monumental
From generation to transmission to supply, there are massive issues across the chain....... The time is now for IP Coys to ramp up and make their mark big time!

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Blue3k(m): 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2017
obailala:
This is actually a very good development. Decentralise and deregulate power supply and watch how the owners of the dead DISCOs would sit up.

Some oil producing states like Delta, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom who all have easy access to gas, I wonder why these states aren't creating industrial clusters which can assure investors of steady and cheap power supply.

Haven't read about other states. I do know Akwa Ibom and G.E partnered to increase Ibom Power plant to a capacity of 685mw from 190mw.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by GavelSlam: 3:38pm On Jun 23, 2017
blackfase:
Idiotic Fashola. Suegbe lawyer forming engineer.......

#nonsensebullshit

God, please don't let even my enemies mu.mu like this.

Amen.

7 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Mcreloaded(m): 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2017
[Who knows NEPA might just be like NITEL so please NEPA engineers wake up or end up like NITEL engineers made redundant by alternative means

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by winterfell007(m): 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2017
That's exactly the way to go. Embedded power is the way to go. Before u know it, every residential estate will be running on it

4 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by obailala(m): 4:11pm On Jun 23, 2017
Blue3k:

Haven't read about other states. UT I so know Akwa Ibom and G.E partnered to increase Ibom Power plant to a capacity of 685mw from 190mw.
Yeah but that's a huge one which may take forever to complete. I was looking at smaller power plants; create a couple of small industial estates and drop 10-15mw power sources to take care of power needs. I feel that would be much more easily achievable in a short period.

4 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by 2felix(m): 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2017
their Hero Jonathan is all time great suegbe

deomelo:

What's Fashola got to do with your crooked and corrupt PDP uncles and Jona handing over power to cashless and incompetent DISCOS?

Do you even know the meaning of privatization?

You really should look in the mirror for suegbe.

4 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by enigma2007(m): 4:20pm On Jun 23, 2017
obailala:
Yeah but that's a huge one which may take forever to complete. I was looking at smaller power plants; create a couple of small industial estates and drop 10-15mw power sources to take care of power needs. I feel that would be much more easily achievable in a short period.

That could work... However, power needs to be fully deregulated and decentralized... There is a limit to the MW that an entity that is not the FG can generate..

Personally, i am looking forward to a day that residential houses can sell power to the govt or to the national grid.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by tobibodunde1992: 4:25pm On Jun 23, 2017
slimfit1:
Why can't everyone have solar on their roofs ?
go and pay for everybody na
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by sshalom(m): 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2017
The way to go is to take the cap off power generation and distribution. Small GENCOS can then supplier electricity to clusters of companies, schools, estates etc.

4 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by mapet: 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

blackfase: :
Idiotic Fashola. Suegbe lawyer-engineer... :/

What's Fashola got to do with your crooked and corrupt PDP uncles and Jona handing over power to cashless and incompetent DISCOS?

It is injustice to the word "suegbe", he is actually worse. You know some people just exist to be naturally daft

3 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by jaytime(m): 4:28pm On Jun 23, 2017
Some times I just wish electric power was wireless, all these DISCOs would have been dead and forgotten just like NITEL of old.
Imagine these guys not allowing excess and unused power generated by Lagos state government to be sold to consumers; claiming that the distribution facilities are their own. Where were DISCOs when "NEPA" installations were provided throuh government budgetary provisions and community efforts from time immemorial?

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by nextstep(m): 4:31pm On Jun 23, 2017
slimfit1:
Why can't everyone have solar on their roofs ?

1. Because solar is relatively expensive per kWH - almost $2/watt of capacity, vs. gas or coal which hovers around $0.50/watt installed capacity.
2. Solar isn't well suited to heavy machinery or processes that need heat
3. Solar won't work as well in the south of the country due to rains, heavy clouds, and high humidity

Natural gas and coal are much more plentiful in the South, and it would take almost 4x as much money to invest in a solar infrastructure that would meet demands. Not to mention huge retrofits of buildings to put them away from trees/shade. Possible, and may be the ultimate solution for new builds, but not worth the expenditure for current buildings.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 5:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
blackfase:

#nonsensebullshit

*modified*
See fellow idiots defending crass ineptitude and corrupt politicians, same cretins that continue to lay to waste your childrens future. Y'all need to visit a head shrinker to cure you lot of your madness. The punk said he'd fix the moribund thing in six months, or so i seem to understand by his submission before he got the ministry and people including myself have the right to hold him to account based on that so again you all can bugger off and go vent your frustrated skulls someplace far....

And im #yoruba by the way for d crazed bigots talking ipob. Useless lot!

Even with your edited rubbish, you still sound ignorant and unintelligent.

The keyword is privatization so all you need to do is wrap your ignorant and suegbe brain around that keyword to cure your ignorance.

If you are going to criticize or blame the man, common sense dictates that you highlight what the man should be doing or haven't do to improve or solve the power situation in Nigeria, but your type are void of anything reasonable, sane and rational to offer or contribute beyond the usual empty and shallow comments.

3 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by HITdemUP: 5:13pm On Jun 23, 2017
blackfase:

#nonsensebullshit

*modified*
See fellow idiots defending crass ineptitude and corrupt politicians, same cretins that continue to lay to waste your childrens future. Y'all need to visit a head shrinker to cure you lot of your madness. The punk said he'd fix the moribund thing in six months, or so i seem to understand by his submission before he got the ministry and people including myself have the right to hold him to account based on that so again you all can bugger off and go vent your frustrated skulls someplace far....

And im #yoruba by the way for d crazed bigots talking ipob. Useless lot!
Learn to raise points without being insultive. Pick up your dictionary and search for this word DIPLOMATIC.. It will help guide for future purpose. Good day

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by soflygerian(m): 5:26pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

As a reminder, Fashola is the minister of power and its two years into this administration and you still call PDP N JONAH.....!!! Petty excuse]]]]
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by k199192: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2017
nextstep:

1. Because solar is relatively expensive per kWH - almost $2/watt of capacity, vs. gas or coal which hovers around $0.50/watt installed capacity.
2. Solar isn't well suited to heavy machinery or processes that need heat
3. Solar won't work as well in the south of the country due to rains, heavy clouds, and high humidity

Natural gas and coal are much more plentiful in the South, and it would take almost 4x as much money to invest in a solar infrastructure that would meet demands. Not to mention huge retrofits of buildings to put them away from trees/shade. Possible, and may be the ultimate solution for new builds, but not worth the expenditure for current buildings.

You sound like you know what you are saying but your continuous repetition of coal is disturbing. You know coal is an outdated source of energy generation yeah? That's why they signed the Paris deal and our president signed that deal too. The most disturbing is that from the write up above I read that dangote is building a coal fired plant. This is really a zoo.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by obailala(m): 5:40pm On Jun 23, 2017
enigma2007:

That could work... However, power needs to be fully deregulated and decentralized... There is a limit to the MW that an entity that is not the FG can generate..

Personally, i am looking forward to a day that residential houses can sell power to the govt or to the national grid.
I think I read recently that the limit has now been scrapped... Hence why we are now seeing these suppliers like Tower Energy Solution and Negris group springing up in some locations.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by k199192: 5:43pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

Even with your edited rubbish, you still sound ignorant and unintelligent.

The keyword is privatization so all you need to do is wrap your ignorant and suegbe brain around that keyword to cure your ignorance.

If you are going to criticize or blame the man, common sense dictates that you highlight what the man should be doing or haven't do to improve or solve the power situation in Nigeria, but your type are void of anything reasonable, sane and rational to offer or contribute beyond the usual empty and shallow comments.

I know your type. You just want to start speaking big grammar and make everyone leave the argument for you because big grammar to many equals intelligence. I am not saying you are unintelligent though. If the guy you quoted is angry and lashes out at the minister of power based on incompetency who are you to stop him or would you rather he takes it out on you? You talk about keyword, didn't the Fashola know the sector had been privatised before he opend his mouth to say "a serious govt would fix the power in six months"? I ask again, Didn't he know the sector was privatised? You reminding him of the keyword is quite annoying knowing that the govt still has some stakes in the power sector, TCN, ERCN and some others I dont know about. The big question I will ask you is this, has the govt of the day fixed the problems in the stakes that they hold? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by SaulRazor: 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2017
The DISCOS are unreliable and their power too expensive, even almost as expensive as generating your own
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by obailala(m): 5:49pm On Jun 23, 2017
k199192:

You sound like you know what you are saying but your continuous repetition of coal is disturbing. You know coal is an outdated source of energy generation yeah? That's why they signed the Paris deal and our president signed that deal too. The most disturbing is that from the write up above I read that dangote is building a coal fired plant. This is really a zoo.
Coal isnt really outdated as you think. A properly designed modern coal plant is still 1000 cleaner than the present 20 million generators which currently power Nigeria. We need to learn to walk before we start thinking of running or flying. Most of the powerful already industrialised economies of this world still use this same coal for up to half of their power generation.

Just recently, Trump pulled the US out of the Paris agreement amidst much condemnation and that was probably because he knows coal power in the US isnt going anywhere soon (hence no need for the hypocrisy). In Nigeria, we really need to measure and grade ourself properly before talking about flying with the big boys.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by slimfit1(m): 5:56pm On Jun 23, 2017
If we can work on making it locally from there we can build things up.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 6:12pm On Jun 23, 2017
soflygerian:
As a reminder, Fashola is the minister of power and its two years into this administration and you still call PDP N JONAH.....!!! Petty excuse]]]]

Lack of basic understanding of the issues and what led to the current situation should be your first assignment and once that's done, come back with something better to discuss.

Fact is, it doesn't matter who the minister is today, nothing can be done by the minister of power to effect any drastic change when it comes to electricity in Nigeria.

1. Privatization means private, it means the government is not in control of the power sector beyond basic regulation so exactly what's Fashola, the power minister's business in what you have already privatized and given to to other people in the private sector to handle.?

2. Saying Fashola is the minister and GEJ left office 2 years ago means you have o clue how we got here and who's ultimately responsible for the present situation regardless when they left office.

Under the last PDP administration, they budgeted and spent over $20 billion for electricity, but we end up with darkness instead of ELECTRICITY. Was Fashola responsible for that?

3. After looting and stealing the $20 billion electricity fund with nothing to show, they decided to privatize power and hand over our power assets to their friends and cronies with absolutely zero knowledge regarding power generation or power business, zero cash to invest in their operations or any kind of management skills.

4. Now, the DISCOs can not function, they can not manage their power business and they have zero cash to invest and improve their operations and banks won't lend them money to invest because they are not credible business entities worth investing in.

5. This is the quagmire and predicament you are in and you can not change it because you are no longer in control because you have privatized power operations and you have signed contracts.

So, is Fashola responsible for what was done before him and what he can not even change or control after the fact?

Before commenting, you people should at list read and understand the situation instead of posing ignorant comments.

Lastly, the keyword here is privatization and the fact that you people don't know the meaning of that simple word and it's importance regarding this discussion is very sad and disheartening.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by marcondo13: 6:21pm On Jun 23, 2017
enigma2007:

They are waiting for the FG to do it for them.
Access to which gas? Is petroleum an equivalent of pipe borne water that is available in every house? Can you name a single oil block that was awarded to any Niger Deltan State since 1999? Mind you, Adenuga has six oil blocks! You expect the Delta State Govt to steal gas from Chevron Tankfarm, Wike to steal gas from the NLNG trains at Bonny, or the Akwa Ibom govt to steal gas from Mobil Tankfarm,Eket? Please,I will be glad if you can mention the river that flows with natural gas in the Niger Delta so that we will form our own power consortium and use it to power turbines! SMH
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by k199192: 6:25pm On Jun 23, 2017
obailala:
Coal isnt really outdated as you think. A properly designed modern coal plant is still 1000 cleaner than the present 20 million generators which currently power Nigeria. We need to learn to walk before we start thinking of running or flying. Most of the powerful already industrialised economies of this world still use this same coal for up to half of their power generation.

Just recently, Trump pulled the US out of the Paris agreement amidst much condemnation and that was probably because he knows coal power in the US isnt going anywhere soon (hence no need for the hypocrisy). In Nigeria, we really need to measure and grade ourself properly before talking about flying with the big boys.

If your comparison is between coal and Nigerian generators then I will rest my case. Coal power is not near clean. Trump opted to disengage from the paris deal doesn't make Obama, who signed the deal, mad. it's just two differnt people with two different views. Once again I will tell you that coal is an outdated source of energy generation, there is no such thing as modern coal plant. once coal is burnt it must generate hydrocarbons and those hydrocarbons are not ecofriendly. I understand the concept that we have to learn to run before we fly, but was the president not thinking like that before he signed the deal? And as for Trump, I am a Trump guy but I do not understand why he is against the deal, maybe he has stakes in the coal industry who knows. But believe me coal is bad. Even China agreed to the deal and they are the world's most users of caol.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 6:29pm On Jun 23, 2017
k199192:

If the guy you quoted is angry and lashes out at the minister of power based on incompetency who are you to stop him or would you rather he takes it out on you?

I don't remember stooping anybody from commenting and highlighting other people's ignorance and lack of understanding of the issues is quiet different from stopping them so exactly what's your point?

[s]You talk about keyword, didn't the Fashola know the sector had been privatized before he opend his mouth to say "a serious govt would fix the power in six months"? I ask again, Didn't he know the sector was privatised? You reminding him of the keyword is quite annoying knowing that the govt still has some stakes in the power sector, TCN, ERCN and some others I dont know about. The big question I will ask you is this, has the govt of the day fixed the problems in the stakes that they hold? Thank you.[/s]

And I'm not interested in the rest of your meaningless ramblings.

k199192:
tinubu, amaechi, fashola, magu, and the list continues... All these people also have stolen public funds One way or the other... Why are you vexing for mama peace. I am against embezzlement of government funds though... But what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

See, I know your type.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by k199192: 6:33pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

Lack of basic understanding of the issues and what led to the current situation should be your first assignment and once that's done, come back with something better to discuss.

Fact is, it doesn't matter who the minister is today, nothing can be done by the minister of power to effect any drastic change when it comes to electricity in Nigeria.

1. Privatization means private, it means the government is not in control of the power sector beyond basic regulation so exactly what's Fashola, the power minister's business in what you have already privatized and given to to other people in the private sector to handle.?

2. Saying Fashola is the minister and GEJ left office 2 years ago means you have o clue how we got here and who's ultimately responsible for the present situation regardless when they left office.

Under the last PDP administration, they budgeted and spent over $20 billion for electricity, but we end up with darkness instead of ELECTRICITY. Was Fashola responsible for that?

3. After looting and stealing the $20 billion electricity fund with nothing to show, they decided to privatize power and hand over our power assets to their friends and cronies with absolutely zero knowledge regarding power generation or power business, zero cash to invest in their operations or any kind of management skills.

4. Now, the DISCOs can not function, they can not manage their power business and they have zero cash to invest and improve their operations and banks won't lend them money to invest because they are not credible business entities worth investing in.

5. This is the quagmire and predicament you are in and you can not change it because you are no longer in control because you have privatized power operations and you have signed contracts.

So, is Fashola responsible for what was done before him and what he can not even change or control after the fact?

Before commenting, you people should at list read and understand the situation instead of posing ignorant comments.

Lastly, the keyword here is privatization and the fact that you people don't know the meaning of that simple word and it's importance regarding this discussion is very sad and disheartening.

I disagree with you on two things. The first being the keyword you guys like referring to. Only the Discos and Gencos were privatised others like TCN, ERCN are still fully government operated. Now the question is, has the govt lived up to their own bargain?

Secondly, Fashola was fully aware of everything you wrote about the past administration and he went ahead to say he can fix power in six months, eventually he was given the job and he is under performing. So who is to blame?
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by k199192: 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

I don't remember stooping anybody from commenting and highlighting other people's ignorance and lack of understanding of the issues is quiet different from stopping them so exactly what's your point?

And I'm not interested in the rest of your meaningless ramblings.

See, I know your type.

because you dont have a point.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Fallasy(m): 6:43pm On Jun 23, 2017
DieBuhari:
You think we are talking about charging of phones?
We are talking about heavy machineries here?

It's possible to run heavy-duty on solar if you can afford it.
They have 2megawatts inverters. I depend on solar for electricity for the past two years
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 6:51pm On Jun 23, 2017
k199192:

I disagree with you on two things. The first being the keyword you guys like referring to. Only the Discos and Gencos were privatised others like TCN, ERCN are still fully government operated. Now the question is, has the govt lived up to their own bargain?

Secondly, Fashola was fully aware of everything you wrote about the past administration and he went ahead to say he can fix power in six months, eventually he was given the job and he is under performing. So who is to blame?

I know the TCN has it's own shortcomings like all the major power sectors, but

What's TCN got to do with the DISCOs shedding already transmitted electricity to consumers?

What's the TCN got to do with militant and terrorists blowing up gas pipelines to sabotage and cripple power operations?

Did the terrorists also agreed to stop blowing up gas pipelines within 6 months?

What's TCN got to do with DISCOs not having funds to invest and improving their operations?

Please explain to us.

Fashola/FG and TCN have their own issues, but that's a different and last time I checked, they are working on their own issues and finding solutions like they just did with $1.5 billion TCN investments.

Please tell us what the DISCO's or GENCOSs are doing to improve their operations?

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 6:52pm On Jun 23, 2017
k199192:

because you dont have a point.

Please go away if you have nothing intelligent to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by obailala(m): 7:11pm On Jun 23, 2017
k199192:

If your comparison is between coal and Nigerian generators then I will rest my case. Coal power is not near clean. Trump opted to disengage from the paris deal doesn't make Obama, who signed the deal, mad. it's just two differnt people with two different views. Once again I will tell you that coal is an outdated source of energy generation, there is no such thing as modern coal plant. once coal is burnt it must generate hydrocarbons and those hydrocarbons are not ecofriendly. I understand the concept that we have to learn to run before we fly, but was the president not thinking like that before he signed the deal? And as for Trump, I am a Trump guy but I do not understand why he is against the deal, maybe he has stakes in the coal industry who knows. But believe me coal is bad. Even China agreed to the deal and they are the world's most users of caol.
The crux of the matter is that Nigeria is in dire need of power and at this point, we shouldn't be selective. Even the more advanced countries we tend to mimic in the clean energy campaign are still all deeply involved in this same coal energy we talk about, as a matter of fact, coal as a source of global energy will still be very relevant even in the next 50 years; dont be deceived by the global rhetorics.

Now back home, over 70% of Nigeria's power comes from gas fired plants. Militants blow up one major gas line and half of our power is shut out. It certainly isnt a wise thing for any country to just rely on one fuel source for its power. Diversification is the word, we need diverse power sources if we must be useful with ourselves and whilst renewables are still extremely expensive (we havent reached that level yet to rely on renewables), I definitely prefer coal to nuclear.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Umahi Disagrees With NASS On Sack Of Service Chiefs / Apapa Gridlock: E-Callup Ticket Forgery Uncovered By Lagos Traffic Team / Inauguration Of APGA Governorship Campaign For Soludo In Awka (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.