Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,535 members, 7,827,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers (14418 Views)

FG To Pay For Free Power Supply, Says Discos / Discos, FG Agree On 2 Months Free Electricity For Nigerians / NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Jedidiahworld(m): 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2017
obailala:
The crux of the matter is that Nigeria is in dire need of power and at this point, we shouldn't be selective. Even the more advanced countries we tend to mimic in the clean energy campaign are still all deeply involved in this same coal energy we talk about, as a matter of fact, coal as a source of global energy will still be very relevant even in the next 50 years; dont be deceived by the global rhetorics.

Now back home, over 70% of Nigeria's power comes from gas fired plants. Militants blow up one major gas line and half of our power is shut out. It certainly isnt a wise thing for any country to just rely on one fuel source for its power. Diversification is the word, we need diverse power sources if we must be useful with ourselves and whilst renewables are still extremely expensive (we havent reached that level yet to rely on renewables), I definitely prefer coal to nuclear.
Kudos ur just making sense
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Blue3k(m): 8:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
obailala:
The crux of the matter is that Nigeria is in dire need of power and at this point, we shouldn't be selective. Even the more advanced countries we tend to mimic in the clean energy campaign are still all deeply involved in this same coal energy we talk about, as a matter of fact, coal as a source of global energy will still be very relevant even in the next 50 years; dont be deceived by the global rhetorics.

Now back home, over 70% of Nigeria's power comes from gas fired plants. Militants blow up one major gas line and half of our power is shut out. It certainly isnt a wise thing for any country to just rely on one fuel source for its power. Diversification is the word, we need diverse power sources if we must be useful with ourselves and whilst renewables are still extremely expensive (we havent reached that level yet to rely on renewables), I definitely prefer coal to nuclear.

I said coal is great answer on one of my threads. It's actually Buhari’s plan. If you want to negotiate with militants get a strong hand. They can't blow up coal mines or power stations. If they tried that with nuclear they will kill themselves and everyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by blackfase(m): 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2017
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 8:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
blackfase:

Thanks a lot bro! At least I'm not alone. There's someone who sees thru the evil prism of ethnicity and mundane blind support for the bastards in government making life too miserable for common folks. Useless maggots won't back off my mention.

The joke flew over your head, that diss and blow was actually for you.

Like I said, look in the mirror for suegbe.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by galadima77(m): 9:45pm On Jun 23, 2017
There isn't anything tribal about power failure across several regimes
We are all suffering this blackout together. You guys should behave yourselves..
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by soflygerian(m): 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
deomelo:

Lack of basic understanding of the issues and what led to the current situation should be your first assignment and once that's done, come back with something better to discuss.

Fact is, it doesn't matter who the minister is today, nothing can be done by the minister of power to effect any drastic change when it comes to electricity in Nigeria.

1. Privatization means private, it means the government is not in control of the power sector beyond basic regulation so exactly what's Fashola, the power minister's business in what you have already privatized and given to to other people in the private sector to handle.?

2. Saying Fashola is the minister and GEJ left office 2 years ago means you have o clue how we got here and who's ultimately responsible for the present situation regardless when they left office.

Under the last PDP administration, they budgeted and spent over $20 billion for electricity, but we end up with darkness instead of ELECTRICITY. Was Fashola responsible for that?

3. After looting and stealing the $20 billion electricity fund with nothing to show, they decided to privatize power and hand over our power assets to their friends and cronies with absolutely zero knowledge regarding power generation or power business, zero cash to invest in their operations or any kind of management skills.

4. Now, the DISCOs can not function, they can not manage their power business and they have zero cash to invest and improve their operations and banks won't lend them money to invest because they are not credible business entities worth investing in.

5. This is the quagmire and predicament you are in and you can not change it because you are no longer in control because you have privatized power operations and you have signed contracts.

So, is Fashola responsible for what was done before him and what he can not even change or control after the fact?

Before commenting, you people should at list read and understand the situation instead of posing ignorant comments.

Lastly, the keyword here is privatization and the fact that you people don't know the meaning of that simple word and it's importance regarding this discussion is very sad and disheartening.

You do realise that when you can't generate power you can't distribute nattn!!! Are DISCOS responsible for that? Who are GENCOS?? Who controls that Still private?
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by enigma2007(m): 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2017
marcondo13:

Access to which gas? Is petroleum an equivalent of pipe borne water that is available in every house? Can you name a single oil block that was awarded to any Niger Deltan State since 1999? Mind you, Adenuga has six oil blocks! You expect the Delta State Govt to steal gas from Chevron Tankfarm, Wike to steal gas from the NLNG trains at Bonny, or the Akwa Ibom govt to steal gas from Mobil Tankfarm,Eket? Please,I will be glad if you can mention the river that flows with natural gas in the Niger Delta so that we will form our own power consortium and use it to power turbines! SMH

So are you saying a whole state government cannot build and source for gas for small power plants called IPPs or seek partnerships with companies that can help build n operate with all the Billon's they get monthly? For example, there are several IPPs in Lagos and if I remember right, Lagos does not even produce gas but the power plants are working....SMH
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 11:04pm On Jun 23, 2017
soflygerian:
You do realise that when you can't generate power you can't distribute nattn!!! Are DISCOS responsible for that? Who are GENCOS?? Who controls that Still private?

Do you realize that most of the time, DISCOs can not distribute generated and transmitted power because they lack the capacity to pay for received electricity and general operations?

Do you realize that the DISCOs are in red because electricity consumers are not willing to pay for what's not metered via meters that the DISCO's refused to provide hence the DISCOs not able to generate needed fund to improve operations even after the government sanctioned them for not providing the meters.

Do you also mind explaining to us why the new power operators the manufacturers are turning to are doing better at generation, transmitting and distributing, meeting their financial obligations, contractual obligations, paying their gas suppliers and so on?

Bottom line, the DISCOs don't and never had the capacity to function in the power sectors based on so many reasons from lack of needed power sector knowledge, funds to function with and invest in expansions, alternative power projects like wind, solar and so on.

Banks for obvious reasons won't extend to them any loan facilities so the DISCOs are eternally doomed and are sooner or later going to bankrupt and pack up or be bought up by the new power operators.

Stop crying for the DISCOs because they are not your saviors and they can not successfully participate in the power sectors. Their foundation was rotten from the beginning when their cronies in the government handed over to them the National power assets for cheap.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2017
slimfit1:
Why can't everyone have solar on their roofs ?

Is the roof yours ?

You think its just the solar panel involved ?

The average inverter is N50,000. Solar batteries about N100,000 each multiplied by 6 or 12 depending on your power requirement.

You cannot get a good solar package below N1m.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by solelymade: 4:12pm On Jun 24, 2017
deomelo:

Do you realize that most of the time, DISCOs can not distribute generated and transmitted power because they lack the capacity to pay for received electricity and general operations?

Do you realize that the DISCOs are in red because electricity consumers are not willing to pay for what's not metered via meters that the DISCO's refused to provide hence the DISCOs not able to generate needed fund to improve operations even after the government sanctioned them for not providing the meters.

Do you also mind explaining to us why the new power operators the manufacturers are turning to are doing better at generation, transmitting and distributing, meeting their financial obligations, contractual obligations, paying their gas suppliers and so on?

Bottom line, the DISCOs don't and never had the capacity to function in the power sectors based on so many reasons from lack of needed power sector knowledge, funds to function with and invest in expansions, alternative power projects like wind, solar and so on.

Banks for obvious reasons won't extend to them any loan facilities so the DISCOs are eternally doomed and are sooner or later going to bankrupt and pack up or be bought up by the new power operators.

Stop crying for the DISCOs because they are not your saviors and they can not successfully participate in the power sectors. Their foundation was rotten from the beginning when their cronies in the government handed over to them the National power assets for cheap.
Thanks for educating a lot of Nigerians, really much appreciated. I think with this move the discos who still hope to do real business within the sector will buckle up for fear of losing substantial market share. Some of them are now reacting by promising to distribute meters to consumers, though I would rather have them being proactive.

I just want everything to move simultaneously, healthy competition. It will be in public interest it is so. Disco lighting up homes is critical to sustained economic, job creation and every other good stuff. I pray for them.

Good people, young ones please rather than engage in idle banters, mud slinging, parochial narratives, single narrative open up your mind to learn. Only that profits you on this forum. Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by lastmaster(m): 8:48pm On Jun 24, 2017
blackfase:
Idiotic Fashola. Suegbe lawyer forming engineer.......

#nonsensebullshit

*modified*
See fellow idiots defending crass ineptitude and corrupt politicians, same cretins that continue to lay to waste your childrens future. Y'all need to visit a head shrinker to cure you lot of your madness. The punk said he'd fix the moribund thing in six months, or so i seem to understand by his submission before he got the ministry and people including myself have the right to hold him to account based on that so again you all can bugger off and go vent your frustrated skulls someplace far....

And im #yoruba by the way for d crazed bigots talking ipob. Useless lot!
Why so much anger.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 4:16pm On Jun 25, 2017
The Senate recently called for a revisit of power sector privatisation, saying it has failed.

We are already revisiting the privatisation. There were so many things that should have been done before the handing over that were not done. Enumeration of the consumer base, investment in distribution assets, capital adequacy to run the business, competent and technical support by those who have bought them to ensure they have technical partners on metering, distribution and utility management.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/fashola-power-sector-is-in-transition/203027.html

Jona and his PDP looting gang just didn't care as long as our power assets ends up in the hands of their crooked and incompetent cronies. Now we are reaping the sad and tragic results .

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by deomelo: 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2017
You recently declared eligibility in the electricity market but the DisCos fear it may lead to revenue losses for them.

I am told that the DisCos are preparing a position. When that position comes, we will address it. I don’t want to pre-empt them. The Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has been mandated to hold a consultative forum so we can hear everyone as a law abiding government. I understand the DisCos see it that they will lose revenue. What I see is service improvement to customers. There must be a point where we put this together. What they see as potential loss may become clearer to them how the mechanics will work. It will enable them to charge premium tariff to certain set of customers while protecting the tariff of poor people. That may not necessarily lead to loss of revenue. For example if an eligible customer applies to a generation company (GenCo) to build its distribution network, it will still pay some money to the DisCo to use the system, so where is the loss of revenue?

The reason that the customer is applying is because the DisCo can’t build that distribution service to connect that customer. If the DisCo then leaves that customer and the customer begs the minister to allow him use his money to build the network and get power, why should I stop that customer?If the DisCos don’t want to lose revenue, assuming there is a loss of revenue, they should provide the services and collect the money. But you can’t fail to provide the service and insist that it should not be done.

We received input from Ikeja and Kaduna DisCos asking us to share modalities and we have referred them to NERC. We also received input from a company licensed to generate 14MW power in Isolo, Lagos. They have 14MW and can only supply 8MW; the other 6mw has been wasting. They apply to build a two kilometre network to supply different companies who are ready to take the power and are within the same industrial estate. If all those industries have a dedicated power, is that not where our people will find work? If the DisCos in those areas do not want to lose customers, let them go and provide the services

More than super minister, I'll him MEGA minister.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by omohayek: 6:19pm On Jun 25, 2017
deomelo:

More than super minister, I'll him MEGA minister.
Indeed! While some ignorant people have been pouring insults on his head for not magically delivering something he never promised, fabricating quotes and putting them in his mouth, Fashola has been steadily addressing the various systemic issues plaguing the power sector, from contract disputes to outstanding parastatal debts to undercapitalized DISCOs and more. Those who say stupid things about how "a lawyer is not the right person for this job" only expose their total lack of understanding that Nigerian power generation and distribution problems are fundamentally economic and political in nature, not due to a lack of ministerial engineering expertise. Fashola understands that the right incentives need to be in place throughout the generation and distribution chain.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by marcondo13: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2017
enigma2007:

So are you saying a whole state government cannot build and source for gas for small power plants called IPPs or seek partnerships with companies that can help build n operate with all the Billon's they get monthly? For example, there are several IPPs in Lagos and if I remember right, Lagos does not even produce gas but the power plants are working....SMH
Are you living on the moon or on earth? Name a single IPP company in the entire South South! The NLNG trains at Bonny belongs to who,and was built for what purpose? Do you expect Chevron to sell their gas after building the biggest gas tankfarm in subsaharan Africa at Ugborodo or do you expect the biggest gas gathering in West Africa at SPDC station,Utorogun to divert their supplies to a govt plant? I will advice you to travel and read widely about the energy sector. Gas engineering goes beyond your textbooks. This is how people will sit at home and make uninformed comments on issues beyond their ken.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by enigma2007(m): 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2017
marcondo13:

Are you living on the moon or on earth? Name a single IPP company in the entire South South! The NLNG trains at Bonny belongs to who,and was built for what purpose? Do you expect Chevron to sell their gas after building the biggest gas tankfarm in subsaharan Africa at Ugborodo or do you expect the biggest gas gathering in West Africa at SPDC station,Utorogun to divert their supplies to a govt plant? I will advice you to travel and read widely about the energy sector. Gas engineering goes beyond your textbooks. This is how people will sit at home and make uninformed comments on issues beyond their ken.

And you flap your mouth too much mister. By the way, I work for a Gas company.. And probably have first hand information about how fundings works in the Nigerian oil n gas sector than what is publicly available..and i doubt you travel as much as i do. So before you come to an uninformed conclusion about me, ask questions and I will gladly obliged you.

Back to the topic, chevron n co will sell gases to anyone that will pay for it (common business logic). IPPs are usually built in partnership with private investors n purely not solely run by the govt.
So if there are no investors willing to partner with the govt to create the IPPs then the questions we should be asking are: "what incentives can be used in bringing them in?" Will the notorious youths around there allow the IPPs to build their plants without collecting bribes for every milestones?

I repeat again, Lagos does not produce gas in it's backyard and still buys gas to power its IPPs. SS region that produces should not have a problem negotiating with the gas companies to supply power plants at a cheaper price considering that most of the gas produced are flared.

Moreover, I get irked when people like you that should be holding the govt of your state responsible are the ones cuddling them and making excuses for them.

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by modik(m): 9:56pm On Jul 02, 2017
deomelo:

Funny when ignorant and unintelligent ipobitch zombie call other people zombie.

See painment!
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by marcondo13: 5:03am On Jul 08, 2017
enigma2007:

And you flap your mouth too much mister. By the way, I work for a Gas company.. And probably have first hand information about how fundings works in the Nigerian oil n gas sector than what is publicly available..and i doubt you travel as much as i do. So before you come to an uninformed conclusion about me, ask questions and I will gladly obliged you.

Back to the topic, chevron n co will sell gases to anyone that will pay for it (common business logic). IPPs are usually built in partnership with private investors n purely not solely run by the govt.
So if there are no investors willing to partner with the govt to create the IPPs then the questions we should be asking are: "what incentives can be used in bringing them in?" Will the notorious youths around there allow the IPPs to build their plants without collecting bribes for every milestones?

I repeat again, Lagos does not produce gas in it's backyard and still buys gas to power its IPPs. SS region that produces should not have a problem negotiating with the gas companies to supply power plants at a cheaper price considering that most of the gas produced are flared.

Moreover, I get irked when people like you that should be holding the govt of your state responsible are the ones cuddling them and making excuses for them.

I do not believe in online rants! Do you have more data at your finger tips than the Upstream Department of the Warri Field Office of the Department of Petroleum Resources? How many gas fields in Nigeria have you seen their data in your life? You work in a gas company!Is it NLNG, SNEPCO,Total, or ExxonMobil or those ragtag companies that are producing from marginal fields? I know more than enough gatemen that work at the Nigerian Gas Company HQ at Ekpan. Please name the oil block that belongs to your company and I will give you the breakdown of their daily production for the past five years within seconds! This is how people will hide behind their monikers and give misleading information. For your information,I don't claim to know about the oil industry because I use a Billy Pugh or a helicopter to go for Rig inspections for license renewal, but I am a qualified petroleum engineer with double degrees in Petroleum Engineering Technology and Natural Gas Technology,and going for a third degree at the OMV International Petroleum Academy,Austria. So,save your pipe dreams for those who have never stepped their foot outside Lagos! Have you ever worked at Bonny,Amatu, Forcados,Eket,Utorogun,Soku, or Ugborodo before and seen what is happening in the Niger Delta? I will advise you to go and sit at the feet of your betters at the so-called fart company that you work,and ask questions about the petroleum industry,before running naked in cyberspace. Go and read about the Nigerian Gas Masterplan! Opinion is free but facts are sacred!Auf wiedersehen.
Re: Manufacturers Abandon Discos For Private Power Suppliers by enigma2007(m): 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
marcondo13:

I do not believe in online rants! Do you have more data at your finger tips than the Upstream Department of the Warri Field Office of the Department of Petroleum Resources? How many gas fields in Nigeria have you seen their data in your life? You work in a gas company!Is it NLNG, SNEPCO,Total, or ExxonMobil or those ragtag companies that are producing from marginal fields? I know more than enough gatemen that work at the Nigerian Gas Company HQ at Ekpan. Please name the oil block that belongs to your company and I will give you the breakdown of their daily production for the past five years within seconds! This is how people will hide behind their monikers and give misleading information. For your information,I don't claim to know about the oil industry because I use a Billy Pugh or a helicopter to go for Rig inspections for license renewal, but I am a qualified petroleum engineer with double degrees in Petroleum Engineering Technology and Natural Gas Technology,and going for a third degree at the OMV International Petroleum Academy,Austria. So,save your pipe dreams for those who have never stepped their foot outside Lagos! Have you ever worked at Bonny,Amatu, Forcados,Eket,Utorogun,Soku, or Ugborodo before and seen what is happening in the Niger Delta? I will advise you to go and sit at the feet of your betters at the so-called fart company that you work,and ask questions about the petroleum industry,before running naked in cyberspace. Go and read about the Nigerian Gas Masterplan! Opinion is free but facts are sacred!Auf wiedersehen.

Not ranting bros! I don't have the energy for that. I am not a gateman wink and i work in one of the big 4s in the oil & gas sector and i am familiar with the assets that are in bold. I can even call up their financial projections for the next 5 years if i need the data. Worked in PH for about 2 years and worked in Warri for about a year before finally coming back to Lagos.

and i am sensitive and aware of what is happening in the ND region beyond what is reported in any of our media.

So that aside, it seems you are not getting my points and hopefully we can link up one day since we are in the same industry and you are probably based in PH. We can re-hash this offline later on before we release confidential info online.

Au revoir Monsieur!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Ugwuanyi, Ekweremadu Hail FG On 41km Enugu-Ebonyi Road / President Buhari Congratulates Cyril Ramaphosa As New South African President / Corruption‘ll Disappear If Buhari Wins, Says Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.