Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:37 AM

Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda (1082 Views)

Zainab Gimba Shares 200 Keke, 800 Sewing Machines To Empower Her People / Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) / Gimba Kakanda Accusing Wike Of Demolishing Mosque In False Tweets, Gets Blasted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2017
Why I'm Afraid of the Break-up of Nigeria

Last night, a friend asked me to explain my aversion to the idea of secession, thinking it was the fear, as amplified in certain propagandas, of the North's foreseen inability to sustain itself economically.

Since it was a private conversation, I elected to present my actual reason bit by bit, some of them I can't express in public, and offering him a mirror which, when we were done, reflected a possibility that scared him too.

I'm afraid of secession for the very reason a part of Nigeria seeks to leave. Cultural hegemony. A domination of diverse society by the elite using ethnicity, religion and all the binary identities and sentiments available to hold on to power, and to forestall criticism of them and revolt of the manipulated masses.

How has cultural hegemony held Nigeria together? The reason Nigeria hasn't degenerated into full-blown autocratic regime is because of conflicting cultural hegemonies that exist like a tripartite coalition government - an ethnic arrangement that restricts the tyranny of the three parts, the "Hausa-Fulani," the Igbo and Yoruba.

There's a mechanism of checks and balances of cultural hegemony as Nigeria stands today, along the ethnic lines of these three dominating ethnic groups, as there is along religious lines between Islam and Christianity of the political North and the South, respectively.

What happens after the breakup? I'll address the question of struggle for power in the North instead. The region's cultural hegemony, which the federating South has tackled, albeit not successfully, levers around Islam and the so-called "Hausa-Fulani" supergroup.

A secession means unrestricted evolution of this cultural hegemony through manipulation of the gullible masses in the name of Islam and by stoking ethnic sentiments as conduits to political power and relevance.

This arrangement favours characters like Senator Ahmed Yerima of Zamfara state, who as Governor introduced a gimmick he called Sharia simply to protect his political capitals. His friends, realizing the success of such arrangement and financial aid pouring in from oil-rich Arab nations, joined him in that smokescreen to enrich themselves corruptly. Some of them are parties to pending cases of corruption at the Court or still under the radar of our anti-corruption agencies.

The good news, however, was that we had a member of another cultural hegemony, a Christian from the political south, as head of the national government, and even opposing the northern political chessboard that seemed to alienate him.

The Yerimas of Northern Nigeria may be local champions now, but the moment their allies from other cultural hegemonies withdraw, a new order of tyrannical rule, in connivance with religious clerics and socio-cultural "ambassadors," will manifest.

The implication is an outright manipulation of Islamic jurisprudence, an Islamo-fascism, to institutionalize oppression and enable corruption. And I can only imagine the extent of its devastations with personality cults forming around some ascetic criminals.

I think this fear explains the convergence of another self-elected representatives of northern "minorities" who, calling themselves "Middle Belt Leaders' Forum," met yesterday in Abuja to debate their place and prospects in Nigeria, now and later. It's not a coincidence that the Jerry Gana-led gathering was dominated by Christians (and "other minorities"wink out of political offices, and ambitious.

As a Muslim, there's nothing that scares me like an attempt to police my private moralities in a secular political arrangement that does not evaluate and redeem the pseudo-religious Police. It's fascism manifesting, and I'll rather die fighting this than flee.

So, my friends from the South, it's not untrue that I do not want you to leave. But it's not for your resources. Assessing the welfare of my people, it's sad to say they are of no essence to us. We, and I include you too, have neither access to good hospitals nor schools, neither good network of roads nor security. I only want you to stay to sustain the checks and balances of this hegemonic order.

3 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by victord1st: 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2017
If igbos are this important to you , you better threat them with the respect they deserve.

6 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by elderhimself(m): 6:49pm On Jun 24, 2017
First of all.....That sh*t is too long for me to read.....

Stop being scared/worried about a thing that can never happen (only in the dream world ) and as a result, making a certain group of people feel important

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by ScotsReferendum: 7:19pm On Jun 24, 2017
papiforreal:
Why I'm Afraid of the Break-up of Nigeria

Last night, a friend asked me to explain my aversion to the idea of secession, thinking it was the fear, as amplified in certain propagandas, of the North's foreseen inability to sustain itself economically.

Since it was a private conversation, I elected to present my actual reason bit by bit, some of them I can't express in public, and offering him a mirror which, when we were done, reflected a possibility that scared him too.

I'm afraid of secession for the very reason a part of Nigeria seeks to leave. Cultural hegemony. A domination of diverse society by the elite using ethnicity, religion and all the binary identities and sentiments available to hold on to power, and to forestall criticism of them and revolt of the manipulated masses.

How has cultural hegemony held Nigeria together? The reason Nigeria hasn't degenerated into full-blown autocratic regime is because of conflicting cultural hegemonies that exist like a tripartite coalition government - an ethnic arrangement that restricts the tyranny of the three parts, the "Hausa-Fulani," the Igbo and Yoruba.

There's a mechanism of checks and balances of cultural hegemony as Nigeria stands today, along the ethnic lines of these three dominating ethnic groups, as there is along religious lines between Islam and Christianity of the political North and the South, respectively.

What happens after the breakup? I'll address the question of struggle for power in the North instead. The region's cultural hegemony, which the federating South has tackled, albeit not successfully, levers around Islam and the so-called "Hausa-Fulani" supergroup.

A secession means unrestricted evolution of this cultural hegemony through manipulation of the gullible masses in the name of Islam and by stoking ethnic sentiments as conduits to political power and relevance.

This arrangement favours characters like Senator Ahmed Yerima of Zamfara state, who as Governor introduced a gimmick he called Sharia simply to protect his political capitals. His friends, realizing the success of such arrangement and financial aid pouring in from oil-rich Arab nations, joined him in that smokescreen to enrich themselves corruptly. Some of them are parties to pending cases of corruption at the Court or still under the radar of our anti-corruption agencies.

The good news, however, was that we had a member of another cultural hegemony, a Christian from the political south, as head of the national government, and even opposing the northern political chessboard that seemed to alienate him.

The Yerimas of Northern Nigeria may be local champions now, but the moment their allies from other cultural hegemonies withdraw, a new order of tyrannical rule, in connivance with religious clerics and socio-cultural "ambassadors," will manifest.

The implication is an outright manipulation of Islamic jurisprudence, an Islamo-fascism, to institutionalize oppression and enable corruption. And I can only imagine the extent of its devastations with personality cults forming around some ascetic criminals.

I think this fear explains the convergence of another self-elected representatives of northern "minorities" who, calling themselves "Middle Belt Leaders' Forum," met yesterday in Abuja to debate their place and prospects in Nigeria, now and later. It's not a coincidence that the Jerry Gana-led gathering was dominated by Christians (and "other minorities"wink out of political offices, and ambitious.

As a Muslim, there's nothing that scares me like an attempt to police my private moralities in a secular political arrangement that does not evaluate and redeem the pseudo-religious Police. It's fascism manifesting, and I'll rather die fighting this than flee.

So, my friends from the South, it's not untrue that I do not want you to leave. But it's not for your resources. Assessing the welfare of my people, it's sad to say they are of no essence to us. We, and I include you too, have neither access to good hospitals nor schools, neither good network of roads nor security. I only want you to stay to sustain the checks and balances of this hegemonic order.

Is your cup of tea

Nigerian days are over

Whatever that happens in Arewa is you guys cup of tea

Biafra won't suffer such a fate

Get ready to live under a tyrannical Islamic leadership

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by zombieHUNTER: 7:20pm On Jun 24, 2017
elderhimself:
First of all.....That sh*t is too long for me to read.....

Stop being scared/worried about a thing that can never happen (only in the dream world ) and as a result, making a certain group of people feel important
how are you so sure that it can never happen ?
Don't you know that once Biafra goes.. Nigeria becomes an Islamic state with full blown sharia .. God help you if you are among the christain minority or moderate Muslim in the north .., God help you mr feeling important

7 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by ScotsReferendum: 7:22pm On Jun 24, 2017
zombieHUNTER:
Don't you know that once Biafra goes.. Nigeria becomes an Islamic state with full blown sharia .. God help you if you are among the christain minority or moderate Muslim in the north .., God help you mr feeling important

Illiterates like them don't understand what is about to hit them

4 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by elderhimself(m): 7:29pm On Jun 24, 2017
zombieHUNTER:

In Nigeria, I would boldly say that nothing, absolutely nothing is sure.
And with or without Biafra, Nigeria can never be Islamized.... It is not a country that sharia can just be implemented like that
Like it or not, Nigeria is much more a secular country than a religious one. what is practiced is more of hypocrisy than anything else..

BTW, thank you for the bolded...^^^ I'm sure you dont need help from God, but I do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by elderhimself(m): 7:32pm On Jun 24, 2017
Some people started fighting for Biafra as far back as 1967,...... Bleep years later, they are still searching for it....... XXXX years from now, I hope they learn their lesson.
Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by modik(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2017
papiforreal:

Stay amidst southern blood shed repeatedly with impunity by Fulani Herdsmen having full support of their grand Patron ba?
Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by hucienda: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2017
In summary, Gimba is stating the obvious being that the largely christian south are the religious buffer reigning in the muslim overlords from overreaching in Nigeria.

His fear - and rightly so - is should what he dreads happen and that delicate balance disrupt, with bulk of that christian bulwark buffer which is Biafra pulling out, then the islamic fascists (as he termed it) take-over over what is left of the country would be complete.

3 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by deedeedee1: 9:01pm On Jun 24, 2017
Luggard that created this useless country is the cause of all these. You don't have to be scared. Nigeria will not be the first country that will disintegrate, it also will not be the last. Believe me, if Nigeria disintegrate, you will do just fine. I support Nigeria disintegration without fear because i know that Nigeria is pulling my people backward. My people are suppose to be technological advanced than this. Imagine in this 21st century, a country with 180 million people still manages 4 thousand megawatts of electricity. For how long are we going to continue this? We don't have good roads, health care and education system are bad. Nigeria is a cursed country that will never improve. This is the simple truth.
Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by Ahmadgani(m): 12:19am On Jun 25, 2017
nigeria was not meant to be together in the first place. why are you scared? before the advent of colonial rule, nothern nigeria was run in accordance with islamic rules and principles.

biafrans are seeeking for divorce because they are tired of this unholy romance, they should be allowed to go. i dont blame them at all.

i was an advocate of one nigeria, however it is important to note that our differences is stronger than our unity. a man only dies but once. biafra should go. 1st october.......
Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by pazienza(m): 12:47am On Jun 25, 2017
hucienda:
In summary, Gimba is stating the obvious being that the largely christian south are the religious buffer reigning in the muslim overlords from overreaching in Nigeria.

His fear - and rightly so - is should what he dreads happen and that delicate balance disrupt, with bulk of that christian bulwark buffer which is Biafra pulling out, then the islamic fascists (as he termed it) take-over over what is left of the country would be complete.

That same fear is what would drive them to gang up with their Arewa Muslim brothers against us again, like they did in 1967. Nothing has changed.

They'd rather we stay and suffer with them, than let them suffer alone under Arewa Islamic rulership, while we enjoy our secular Biafra.

Also when you remember that about 60% of Yorubas are Muslims, you begin to understand why an alliance between us and these Northern Christian minorities is impossible, as it would leave them with the short end of the stick.

They are a burden we need not. They made their beds in 1967, they will have to lay on them now.

5 Likes

Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by romme2u: 2:21am On Jun 25, 2017
hucienda:

yea the christian minority in the north suffers the consequence of any decision the christian south takes.
Re: Why I'm Afraid Of The Break-up Of Nigeria By Gimba Kakanda by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2017
Keep the comments flowing

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye's Recall, "Waste Of Time" - Saraki / #osunwestdecides: Collation Of Results Ongoing, As APC Takes Leads / Photos | Flood Covers Lekki And Ajah Areas Of Victoria Island Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.