Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,495 members, 7,850,729 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:10 AM

The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar (2119 Views)

STORY — Wise Woman Advises A Scholar / Discussion With A Christian About The Christian Doctrine Of Redemption / Shocking Revelation About Jesus By A Scholar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ubenedictus:

with that I make bold to say that the church has the authority to gather whatever books she believes edifies and from the canon of scripture as she is led by the holy spirit .

she is guided by the holy spirit, she has authority.

The question for you is.. Which church is guided by this holy spirit? I can boldly say is the marcion canon that declared first declared a new testament and an old testament, condemning the Jewish canon as evil and allien to the god of the new testament.
There's Catholic canon
Eastern orthodox church canon
Ethiopian canon
Synod of Jerusalem canon
All these mentioned canons has less or more books added to to it? Is the holy spirit confused? I guess the canon you call inspired is the protestants canon, right?
What about the others?
Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Ubenedictus(m): 9:50pm On Sep 08, 2017
damariox:

The question for you is.. Which church is guided by this holy spirit? I can boldly say is the marcion canon that declared first declared a new testament and an old testament, condemning the Jewish canon as evil and allien to the god of the new testament.
There's Catholic canon
Ethiopian canon
Synod of Jerusalem canon
All these mentioned canons has less or more books added to to it? Is the holy spirit confused? I guess the canon you call inspired is the pentecostal canon, right?
What about the others?

this only arise when someone is ignorant of how the canon was formed.

the canon of an apostolic Church is simply the list of books a lawfully ordained bishop or even a legitimate synod of bishops agree to be read in Church. that simply means the church accepted books only generally. ..it was left for each individual Bishop to set what his Church accepts.

in general the Septuagint was accepted as the normative old testament writing because that is what the apostles used, the new testament has about 20 basic books and 7 disputed book, again it is the work of each legitimate Bishop to set his canon. any legitimate Bishop in an ancient Church is a successor of the apostles and has the authority to set a canon that is authoritative for his Church.

this means that from ancient times the bishops of Rome, Antioch or even Constantinople could worship together and celebrate the liturgy together and even agree with each other on every dogma even though they had different canons. and each of those canons is authoritative for each respective church.

the Catholic canon is the canon of the council of hippo and Carthage 4th century, a similar one is produced by the synod of Jerusalem and the same canon is confirmed in the council of Trent. that ancient canon is the one I use and it is authoritative for the western Church.

this is the canon I use

Canon XXIV. (Greek xxvii.)
That nothing be read in church besides the
Canonical Scripture.
ITEM, that besides the Canonical Scriptures
nothing be read in church under the name of
divine Scripture.
But the Canonical Scriptures are as follows:
Genesis.
Exodus.
Leviticus.
Numbers.
Deuteronomy.
Joshua the Son of Nun.
The Judges.
Ruth.
The Kings, iv. books.
The Chronicles, ij. books.
Job.
The Psalter.
The Five books of Solomon.
The Twelve Books of the Prophets.
Isaiah.
Jeremiah.
Ezechiel.
Daniel.
Tobit.
Judith.
Esther.
Ezra, ij. books.
Macchabees, ij. books.
THE NEW TESTAMENT.
The Gospels, iv. books.
The Acts of the Apostles, j. book.
The Epistles of Paul, xiv.
The Epistles of Peter, the Apostle, ij.
The Epistles of John the Apostle, iij.
The Epistles of James the Apostle, j.
The Epistle of Jude the Apostle, j.
The Revelation of John, j. book.
Let this be sent to our brother and fellow
bishop, Boniface, and to the other bishops of
those parts, that they may confirm this canon,
for these are the things which we have received
from our fathers to be read in church.

council of hippo

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by MiddleDimension: 9:46am On Sep 09, 2017
damariox:

There's Catholic canon
Ethiopian canon
Synod of Jerusalem canon
All these mentioned canons has less or more books added to to it? Is the holy spirit confused? I guess the canon you call inspired is the pentecostal canon, right?
What about the others?

to the best of my knowledge, the Pentecostals have no canon

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 09, 2017
MiddleDimension:

so on which of the above canon is the Pentecostal bible with 66 books based?
Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by MiddleDimension: 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

so on which of the above canon is the Pentecostal bible with 66 books based?

they adopted the King James bible which belongs to the church of England; and the translators of the King James bible for the church of England adopted martin Luther's translation only that unlike Luther who removed the deutrocannonicals from the OT and separated them under the heading "Apocrypha", they omitted the "apocrypha" altogether, leaving them with just 66 books.

Martin Luther never had a cannon of his own. He simply took the cannon the catholic church was using, since he was a monk in the church, and did his separation.

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by MiddleDimension: 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2017
i am going to find time to respond to some of the posts in page 0 especially Joagbaje's posts.
Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 10, 2017
MiddleDimension:

I meant protestants. Lol �
Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by MiddleDimension: 12:54pm On Sep 10, 2017
damariox:

I meant protestants. Lol �

the protestants on their own too never had a canon. They never organized a synod, ecumenical council or whatever to decide which book they are to read and not to read.

Remember the protestants are not a single church like the catholics are; same as the pentecostals. These people could not agree enough to have called together a council.

The Anglican church for instance was the catholic church in England before Henry VIII's issue with the pope. They were using the catholic canon at the time. When they were separating, King James subsequently issued a decree instructing some theologians in the church of England to translate the bible from the vulgate (or septugaint, i cannot remember anymore) to English language. So he followed Luther's style but this time, removed the deutrocanonicals completely from it. This is how the protestants and all those who came from them including the pentecostals and the JW, got to have 66books in their scriptures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Ubenedictus(m): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2017
MiddleDimension:

the protestants on their own too never had a canon. They never organized a synod, ecumenical council or whatever to decide which book they are to read and not to read.

Remember the protestants are not a single church like the catholics are; same as the pentecostals. These people could not agree enough to have called together a council.

The Anglican church for instance was the catholic church in England before Henry VIII's issue with the pope. They were using the catholic canon at the time. When they were separating, King James subsequently issued a decree instructing some theologians in the church of England to translate the bible from the vulgate (or septugaint, i cannot remember anymore) to English language. So he followed Luther's style but this time, removed the deutrocanonicals completely from it. This is how the protestants and all those who came from them including the pentecostals and the JW, got to have 66books in their scriptures.
Amen, it seem you do know about the modern day canon

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 10, 2017
MiddleDimension:

Well protestant churches encompass Lutheran and Anglican Church. Your research and study is correct

Neither king James nor Luther established a Canon. Luther just hated the epistle of James and wanted it removed. The council of Trent was a response to protestant uprising

2 Likes

Re: The History Of The Bible (canon)~my Discussion With A Scholar by MiddleDimension: 7:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3881704/history-bible-canon-discussion-scholar

here is Joagbaje agreeing that the catholic church decided which book is to make up the new testament.

Note that Joeagbaje is a christ embassy pastor who also doesn't like some catholic teachings like those about Mary; but i think he will accept it some day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You A Lawful Captive? / Astral Projection, Mind Control, And Idolatry. Save Yourself!!! / Deputy Governor Caught Sleeping With Another Man's Wife Disgraced(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.