Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,214 members, 7,953,778 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:03 AM

Classical Music Is Better Than Rap - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Classical Music Is Better Than Rap (13012 Views)

Poll: Classical Music vs Rap: which do you prefer?

Classical Music: 50% (29 votes)
Rap Music: 49% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers / Nigerian Music Is Better Than America's / Enya's Music Is Satanic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by choongtin(f): 11:01pm On Feb 03, 2007
bullshit!!!!!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by grafikdon: 2:50am On Feb 04, 2007
Eurphoria:

is it just Beethoven and shubert you knw of? anyone with A level music can tell you about hem, give us some more to go on please wink

lol @Euphoria, oh I am a big hard core fan of of them classical, baroque, rococo, romantic etc etc music. Oya make I give you the 'dead boys' I listen to. . . there's crazy violinist Niccolo Paganini, FJ Haydn, R. Schumann, Telemann, Antonio Vivaldi (My favourite composer of all time) Franz Listz (still find it hard pronouncing that name) Frederick Chopin, Jean Sibelius, Johann Pachelbel, there are thousands of these guys but I have to go with the known ones 'cause many probably haven'r heard of most of them, for instance Grzegorz Fitelberg. I love to pop in a little Vivaldi when I want to elevate my spirit and feel/retain/maintain the connection with the light. smiley

I still won't say such music is better than rap because they all have their functions.

1 Like

Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by grafikdon: 3:11am On Feb 04, 2007
sharetroll:

In what particular idea? People banging on garbage pails with sticks can be music, let alone rap.
sharetroll:

I think classical music is the greatest music out there. My personal fave. . . there's nobody on earth currently that can match up to Mozart or Beethoven or Chopin, etc. Music has indeed regressed since the romantic/baroque era, that is undeniable.

That classical music is the best is highly debatable. Don't get me wrong, few people can match my obsession with the music of Antonio Vivaldi, JS Bach and co but I believe they have their function and shouldn't be a yard stick for measuring music in general. There's one brand of music called minstrelsy (sp?) which basically employs indigenous folklore in the delivery of a story with accompaniment (usually African instruments). I love the music because I can identify with it and can spend hours listening to that, especially stuff by Mike Ejeagha. Some of the tracks are so informative and extremely hilarious if you understand the language. Somebody somewhere will classify that music as pure 'garbage' or music of the 'illiterates'.

This is the same case here. I know some of my friends who always got frustrated each time I played Vivaldi calling it a 'totally f***ed up music'. Honestly I don't make a fuss because I believe such music doesn't appeal to them and it is alright. Every genre of music has a function that is usually a sharp contrast to other genres, this really makes it almost impossible to draw a comparison chart between two genres. Such a thing can easily get glossed over by personal preference rather than objective reasoning.

I love all music , the only issue I have with rap now is the excessive use of expletive and the 'almost dressed' women flapping their 'bag pipes' like the world is about to end. . . but hey, if you are a big fan of heavy metal like yours truly, you will get your fair share of 'f'ked up' lyrics, and I mean really extremely offensive screwed up lyrics.

Bottom line: No music genre is the best, that can't be possible.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 3:26am On Feb 04, 2007
Anyway, for people to think rap is more popular and classical music doesn't have quite the support and fan base only say that because of what they see before them.  The younger generation puts rap in the spotlight, but I guarantee that if you roll in behind the scenes circles that are a lot more upscale, sophistcated, etc.  you will definately see the reversal of which is more popular.

Trust me when I say the classical, posh, sophisticated, snooty crowd is waaaaay bigger around the globe than the rap crowd is.

It's like art.  The average person looks at a painting worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and may think it's a piece of junk.  They may think a graffiti tag is waaay more popular and could definately get better reviews.  But there's people out there with an eye and ear for finer, sophistcated things that would use a graffiti tag to wipe their a*s and pay millions for a picasso.

And you have to remember we're talking about people from their pre-teen years to senior citizens.  A much larger range than the average rap crowd.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 9:12am On Feb 04, 2007
@ sharetroll:

every man to his belief, the saying goes. Like grafikdon has rightly pointed out, when comparisons are placed between genres of music, it is usually borne out of personal preference of a particular genre than objective reasoning.

Classicals, rap borne out of the Hiphop culture? It's all good.

@ everyone especially naijacutee:

for all those that drive the misconception that rap music is all about bling-bling, hoes, driving whips, i ask this question : isn't your perception of rap music fuelled by what you've seen on MTV or TV in general, by what the mainstream puts out that you listen to on radio? There are sub-genres within the same rap music you're quick to castigate. Sub-genres that are a good alternative to what the mainstream puts out. One very stupid misconception is that ALL rap is gangsta rap. When there's the underground, the conscious genre there. Truth is, those that say sh*t about rap music are those that listen only to mainstream.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbengaijot(m): 9:48am On Feb 04, 2007
@ gbade, na wa for you ooo. Naijacutee did not say all rap are ganstar like, she actually mention that there are five of them that she only agrees with. I very much agree with her. May i ask you, what is the face of rap?, is it not the ones you see on MTV and QBase?. Are they not the ones that you see as popular?. That is the face of rap, if you dont know. THe other underground ones might be there, but they definitely do not represent rap music in the big form.

I am a lover of rap music myself, but i stopped listening and watching it about 5 years ago, when they had nothing to offer except booty dancing, bling bling and big wheels. If you notice that Nigerian music is moving to that culture as well, and i fear a great deal.

As for me, while i dont listen to classical ( i have only heard some couple of times), i think its better than rap that you can hardly hear some of them stupid rantings.

Well, why the argument in the first instance?,
lets ask ourselve how long classical music has stood the test of time, and then compare it with how long rap will fare.
Its only a matter of time, since tommorow shall tell.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 11:54am On Feb 04, 2007
Sharetroll
simple question , you are the one starting thread about classical music making yourself sound like i don't know what. I asked do you know any more classical musicians apart from the ones people learn from GCSE music( Beethoven , Bach etc)? still you can't mention more classical acts, and you profess to be some sort of Connoiseur of classical works haha!
No maybe you thot that silly jibe about living at home will send me off, just answer the question. I don't know about classical, so please educate us mister Beethoven grin. you are talking here there and every where , my guess is you know jack , diddlysquat about this topic. Please Go google the subject and give us all copy and paste galore. wink

i still agree with my2cents and that is what got you mad, now get madder
Definition of music (from my JS3 class ) - the organization of sound that is pleasant to the ear.

Definition of music 2 (from my personal experience ) - one manz meat is another manz poison.

Asking which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you said, Beethoven is better than Bach, or Gangsta rap is better than plain old rap, I would engage in the discussion

dont ask me questions, you are the self professed expert on this , so we are waiting, go copy info and paste , do something anything grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 12:15pm On Feb 04, 2007
Eurphoria:

Sharetroll
simple question , you are the one starting thread about classical music making yourself sound like i don't know what. I asked do you know any more classical musicians apart from the ones people learn from GCSE music( Beethoven , Bach etc)? still you can't mention more classical acts, and you profess to be some sort of Connoiseur of classical works haha!
No maybe you thot that silly jibe about living at home will send me off, just answer the question. I don't know about classical, so please educate us mister Beethoven grin. you are talking here there and every where , my guess is you know jack , diddlysquat about this topic. Please Go google the subject and give us all copy and paste galore. wink

i still agree with my2cents and that is what got you mad, now get madder

don't ask me questions, you are the self professed expert on this , so we are waiting, go copy info and paste , do something anything grin

Where did I claim to be a Classical music connasieur? I've studied Classical arts in my last semester year in college, hence where I get my info's from. I started to fall in love more w/ the music, why I made this thread. I happen to listen to Classical music on my ipod every now and then. . . .I don't have to prove myself worthy to you by naming various composers. I figure it's a waste of time.

Now, would you like a side of bacon to go along with the egg on your face?
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 12:17pm On Feb 04, 2007
all this time wasted, why not just convince others then that you know the stuff you posted, i quite like egg on my face lol very good mask great for the skin. Now answer the question. oops i forgot you know diddly squat about it.

ps
if you now back track to say you are no expert in the subject, then why in heavens name did you start a thread such as this and not have anything to go on in way of debate with the guys who disagree with you except for what your music text books tell you? grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 12:24pm On Feb 04, 2007
Lol, ma baby E driving that nigga sharetroll nuts.

@gbenga:

. . .and thus you've proved my point that apart from what Mainstream puts out, most of you don't know any better.
Bottomline is, there is more to Hiphop than what trash the mainstream spews out.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2007
you right Gbade about the poppy rap out there. Those who really know about rap will like more underground acts rather than just commercial ones
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2007
*puts his hands up in the air, in supplication*

Finally!!

You hit the nail right on the head, E!

Just what i've been trying these wack cats in here, always quick to talk crapola about what they don't know. . . .
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2007

Finally!!

Just what i've been trying these wack cats in here, always quick to talk crapola about what they don't know. . . .
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by grafikdon: 12:40pm On Feb 04, 2007
gbade. x:

Lol, ma baby E driving that nigga sharetroll nuts.

@gbenga:

. . .and thus you've proved my point that apart from what Mainstream puts out, most of you don't know any better.
Bottomline is, there is more to Hiphop than what trash the mainstream spews out.

Even classical music has 'gangsta symphony' grin. . . A movement from Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' was termed 'extremely violent' and to be honest, I thought it was too fast paced/violent/disturbing even before I read the review. . . but hey, it never stopped me from listening. Seriously, I have come across some of those that are a bit disturbing, yeah it sounds weird but it is true. Them get 'gansta symphony'
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2007
gbade. x:

Finally!!

Just to let you know you double posted. . . .

Anyway, I'm being underestimated b/c of my age. But, I know a bunch, though studying isn't my thing. One of my role models, Ben Carson, inspired me. Hence, one of the few reasons I became more in torch w/ classical music. I know where all you guys are coming from, but you can get all butt-hurt. Unwad the undies for once.

gbade. x:

Like I said, I know exactly where you're coming from. That's why I tend to disagree w/ naijacutee on some parts. Just about anything played on mainsteam (MTV). Pop, pop punk, pop rap. Its all a bunch of no talent ass clowns. There are some very talented rap groups on the underground. Some break to mainstream and turn into pop unfortunately.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by camara(f): 1:29pm On Feb 04, 2007
just to let u know it's called touch not torch cheesy
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 04, 2007
@ camara:

lol. . .

@ sharetroll:

Ben Carson. . .hmmm, good Role Model he is. . .read his book when i was younger. But then sharetroll, you gotta study hard to gain knowledge about certain things, just as your role model Ben Carson did. If not, you'll always feel you're "being underestimated b/c of ur age".

And thanks about that double posting ish. Network's been flunctuating over here. . .
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by ogogoro: 2:17pm On Feb 04, 2007
RAP = Shit. End of story
People boasting of their armory
Stories that are gory
Comments about women which are derogatory

Every other music is savoury
From afrobeat to the heavy metal territory
Theres no need to give rap any glory
And thats the end of the story
It just had to be done - sorry!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by killacam(m): 4:56pm On Feb 04, 2007
NAIJACUTIEE ,WTF YOU MEAN BY THAY SAY THE SAME THING,DRESS THE SAME WAY,WELL I GUESS YOU IS IGNORANT MOFO.RAP RULES FUCC CLASSICAL SHIT.
KILLA DIPSET ALLDAY NO HOMO.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Orikinla(m): 6:49pm On Feb 04, 2007
If you understand music, you cannot say Classical music is better than Rap.
Because, composers can tell you that you need the same genius to compose Rap music to compose Classical music, except you are using the scale of preference based on the education of the musicians.

If the rapper did not study music, then you cannot even compare him to a classical music composer. But if he studied music, then he could even be as good as the classical music composer in the knowledge of music.

Rap is protest music.
And if you want to write the music for rap, you must have a good grasp of the rudiments of music.

Rap has become a genre in the study of music and producing the sheet music for rap demands the same genius as producing the sheet music for classical music.

Most rappers are actually musical illiterates. But students of music take time to study the compositions in details, separating the vocals from the music.

My father played the violin and hated rock music and in fact when I showed him my first recording contract for my composition Hardway To Broadway, he just waved it aside and never approved it. And I never recorded anything until after his death.
Good music is good music, regardless of the genre.

There is also bad classical compositions.
But if you are not literate in music, you cannot tell the difference.

You can actually produce a fusion of classical music and rap music.
A rapper can rap to classical music.
All the rapper needs is a good music director and not a DJ.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijacutee(f): 7:28pm On Feb 04, 2007
@ gbegaijot, thank you jare! When you tune in to a popular rap station, all you see is bling, bling, booty-shaking etc.  This just goes to show you what sort of plate rap is presented on. If there are any 'good' underground rappers, they obviously aren't working very hard to save the image that These Ones have given to rap.

Or maybe, we prefer the Booty-Shaking to Talking-Sense therefore we buy more Booty-Shaking, hence labels see that Boot-Shaking sells more and then don't sign Talking-Sense?

killacam:

NAIJACUTIEE ,WTF YOU MEAN BY THAY SAY THE SAME THING,DRESS THE SAME WAY,WELL I GUESS YOU IS IGNORANT MOFO.RAP RULES FUCC CLASSICAL SHIT.
Why are you hurling insults? This is the beginning of the sort of behaviour that gets you locked up. Cool it man, we're only talking about rap, not your main source of income.

Let me give you an example of what I mean concerning the dressing. A picture they say,is worth a thousand words. Note that it requires a conscious effort to dress in the ways depicted below. (Notice a trend there?)  

Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by chizzy687(f): 9:31pm On Feb 04, 2007
Rap music na baba
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 10:02pm On Feb 04, 2007
I don't want to start a thread where i'll be the last poster. lipsrsealed

@ all those who know nothing about rap music, better click unsubscribe angry

Laymanly speaking,
Music is a form of expressing oneself. It is the addition of tones to poetry, in whichever form, that implies Acapella and when you add musical instruments to it, you have all the other typo genres.

No doubt classical is one of the best forms of music, and for God's sake it's as OLD AS HELL! RAP itself is just too young, a lil above 20 years so the basis for comparison itself is as flawed as the originator! And I hope this time next week, he won't start by saying Classical OR Reggae and that Rastas are dirty people who only smoke Ganja and can't speak good english and bla bla bla. . .

When you think Music, You think Handel, Mozart, Beethoveens and what have you. They invented one or two things in their fields and basically they played the piano, i guess in their time there was nothing like electric guitars. Nowadays the king of such music is arguably Carlos Santana and unfortunately for you, he loves Rap.

If Mozart was alive today, he woulda done a track with NAS!

And whoever said rap was all about name calling should go suck his dog's d*ck!

Blacks devised a way to express their views, thoughts and grief and found a soulmate in RAP. RAP brought poetic freedom. Listen to tracks like:

Changes - Tupac
Change the world - BTNH  (Someone said rap was too fast to hear what they were saying. The world's fastest group meant good all through and you need to listen good to hear what they were rapping about)
Where is the love - Black Eyed Peas (Yes there was a good rap verse there so don't even say that was no rap)
I Can - Nas

I can go on and on if you need a list of sensible rap. Some RAP are educative, informative and revealing. Just like Afrobeat was used to openly criticize the government and speak for the Masses (Fela's lifestyle wasn't better than my fellow rappers okay?) so was RAP used in the US of A. And for God's sake RAP did not invent name calling, ice and tatoos and all whatnot that some peeps are attaching to it, they've been on ground for as long as man can remember and who are the rappers? (mostly people who grew up in the projects or ghettos, how else would they express their poetry than in their common, every day language, here in Naija, it's pidgin/pigeon English!)

I can give you equivalents of your classical gods. In the likes of RAKIM, KRS-1,Pac, Nas, BIG dudes can match the legacies of your classical peeps. DOn't get me wrong i have nothing against classical music, infact i love classical tracks (depending on my mood of course) but bringing up Classical Vs Rap leaves much to be desired. Classical has been here for years and RAP is here to stay, by the time RAP lives as long as Classical has today, you should see more than enough improvement. In our parents' time there was classical and later, country so it's understandable they don't care about hip hop, just like in the next 50 years, there'll be more RAP lovers than Classical! For God's sake is classical singalongable? I doubt!

At all those who think RAP is for mediocres, i pity your reasoning ability. I can imagine what parties woulda looked like today if all we had were boring shocked Classical/Opera tracks out there. Imagine 50 cent doing Hallelujah! Clowns'll never cease to show up on Nairaland sha grin

P.S: I saw this thread 2 days ago and was like what kind of topic is this ish, all these attention seekers at it again, I was surprised to see it on the home page. grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any hater out there heard P.Diddy's version of Handel's Messiah? holla!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 10:26pm On Feb 04, 2007
@ Naijacutee

BTW, that's not just the way rappers dress, its the trend and that's what'z fashionable nowadays, even footballers and basketballers dress that way and you left their garages out, what bout the rides, the ferraris and jags, it's typical of RAPpers too cos in the time of Handel I guess the closest they had were paddle boats and Bicycles! grin

In the original days of classical, you know what was in vogue then, or do you expect Yanni to dress like that?

It is normal to see RAP as a violent form of music yet see metallic rock as a kind of music for nerds, vampires and what have you. And don't you forget, there's even Gospel RAP which is making so much waves that the Heavens are getting scared! That's to tell you that the golden era of Operas are gone. Music doesn't die anyway but unlike fashion, recycling is the in-thing, we call it sampling.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by hotangel2(f): 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2007
Love them both. Love yanni, and love paul wall.

Cant choose, but i chose classical in voting though.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijacutee(f): 1:49am On Feb 05, 2007
hot-angel:

Love them both. Love yanni, and love paul wall.

Cant choose, but i chose classical in voting though.
Thank you hot-angel, you voted wisely, keep it up wink cheesy
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 7:40am On Feb 05, 2007
@ Christino, Orikinla, grafikdon:

please, thank you for your inputs. Shows a lot that most people that undermine rap talk a lotta crapola because they gulp hook, line and sinker what the mainstream gives them.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 7:55am On Feb 05, 2007
@ naijacutee:

. . .and thus you keep proving a fact. YOU DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT RAP MUSIC. Like i said, there's more to rap music than what the mainstream gives and YOU KNOW IT!! You just don't want to let go of your pre-conceived notions about rap music. And you know it. You are not being objective, just your personal preference and that's it!

NB: this is one of the reasons why we Hiphop heads have been agitating for a sub-forum where we can leave all these wack cats and ignoramuses to their selves. I'm tired of bullshit topics like this.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by killacam(m): 5:30pm On Feb 05, 2007
NIAJACUTEE,WAT WRONG WIT DAT,I SEE NOTTIN WRONG,WIT THOSE PIC'S,OR U WANT THEM TO BE SUITED AND BOOTED ALLDAY,COMMON.RAP IS OUR CULTURE,CALSSIC AIN'T OUR CULTURE.SO JOIN IN OR BURIED IN.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Radiant(f): 9:04pm On Feb 05, 2007
NC, why is my Baby's pic (T.I) not there
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 9:08pm On Feb 05, 2007
this thread should've been closed two minutes after it was started.
mozart doing a song with nas, very likely.
bach with eminem - god! that song will be off the hinges!

y'all stop hatin' unnecessarily and get something betr to talk about.

p.s. anyone noticed that those diehard fans of classical music in here talk trash about rap while those standing by rap talk good about classical music. if a music causes hate, then i'd rather not listen to it  grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2007
@ naijafan:

once again, you are right on point!!

Stupid ass, dumb ass topic/thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tupac Hologram Performs At Coachella 2012 / Lagbaja – Omo Jayejaye (Video) / What Song Are You Listening To Right Now As The Day They Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.