Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Classical Music Is Better Than Rap - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Classical Music Is Better Than Rap (12785 Views)

Poll: Classical Music vs Rap: which do you prefer?

Classical Music: 50% (29 votes)
Rap Music: 49% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers / Nigerian Music Is Better Than America's / Enya's Music Is Satanic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by jydagirl(f): 11:32am On Feb 14, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of contemporary classical music?Well thats what you hear in movies that make us say "what a nice movie that was" at the end of the reel.Mozart, Bethoveen, were the oldies.Next time you hear violins,trumpets and all the rest playing at the background of a great scene,thats contemporary classical.Rap is cool too.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by simmy(m): 11:56am On Feb 15, 2007
the guy who started this thread says it requires no talent to rap! WHAT!!!
heres a challenge dog, y dont you write AND perform a rapsong of acceptable standards in like 10years!!!
theres a lot of crappy rap songs out there but rap in its purest form is heaven. People tend to refer to the greats when talking about classical music and 4get about the really crappy ones.
apart 4rom beethoven, mozart and a handful of others classical music SUCKS!!! tongue tongue tongue
if u wanna listen to rap dont go listening to chingy!! (apologies), listen to NAS, common, eminem, krayzie bone, twista, busta, ludacris etc, and if u still think rap is crap, then u suck and u deserve classical music
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by richo(m): 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2007
its silly to try to compare 2 genres of music! thats just like sayin is a boy better than a girl! or comparing left and right! For God's sake what would be left if right was taken away? by the way i'll never pay attention to classical music till am old, toothless and cant rap nomore, naw thats a long time! all genres are equal in requirement, rap&hip hop require liveliness while u hav to be borin to sing classical, imagine me listenin to jim reeves or bethrovan or wateva they call dat old man! 4those of u who sayd rap requires no talent, try dissin eminem to his face; u'll regret ur whole life (aint that talent),
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by WesleyanA(f): 1:29am On Feb 16, 2007
simmy:

People tend to refer to the greats when talking about classical music and forget about the really crappy ones.
apart 4rom beethoven, mozart and a handful of others classical music SUCKS!!! tongue tongue tongue

if u want to listen to rap don't go listening to chingy!! (apologies), listen to NAS, common, eminem, krayzie bone, twista, busta, ludacris etc, and if u still think rap is crap, then u suck and u deserve classical music

Thank You!!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 1:30am On Feb 16, 2007
THAT WAS GOOD wink
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2007
Why are you guys bothering yourselves, the starter of this thread has run for cover already!  grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 10:15pm On Feb 16, 2007
hehehe lol grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 8:09am On Feb 17, 2007
SEUN!!! Please Close This Thread!!!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by banging(m): 8:12am On Feb 17, 2007
THnk yOU thank you aND tHANK yOU
Let me coming now as the Question MASTER of NAIRALAND
Lets go back to the oldies, i mean when music was music
I gat nuttin like rap, classical music is what people listen to.
It changes so many life's, for examply in Nigeria, rap of a thing started 90s
And b4 then we have great artist like Fela, Obey, Sunny. etc
Listen to me very well and get me right.
real music is the combination of sounds, when we talk of sound\
am talking of full instrument, when you feel what we call music himself.

We don,t need to be prolonging matters here, Classical music is music.
Forget rap
Am a Universal Artist, so i can give it to my fans the way they want it.

THANK You, Mr BANGING grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[/color]
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 9:27am On Feb 17, 2007
This guy musta escaped from Yaba Left, he needs to go back and complete his medication. We can no longer tolerate insanity on this thread.

Was he drunk when he posted this stuff?
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 2:36pm On Feb 17, 2007
i tire too oh. that guy is bleeping high. did you see his 'who can challenge me' thread?
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 10:56am On Feb 18, 2007
lol naijafan and christino i think the last i saw on another thread he has changed his username, don't quote me on that though but i seem to remember someone saying grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by lilyDiva(f): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2007
not!!!! :p
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2007
@ Nubia

Thank you so much, that was an educative post. My favorite is the Conscious Rap, the type that educates! grin and please hammer on that Jazz is even more complex. cheesy
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by LindaM1(f): 2:07pm On Feb 22, 2007
Sharetroll - you couldn't have said it any better, "pick up a guitar or sit down to a piano once in a while and try to sing along with the music." Possible, only if we assume rap "artists" can even read music, let alone play an instrument. I propose that we re-name "rap" and call it "tick" or "leech" instead, since "rap artists" are the biggest group of parasites to ever grace the planet. As a formally trained musician versed in just about every genre (jazz, opera, tribal, classical, Broadway, roots, blues, soul, you name it, ), I laugh when I hear a new rap "song", because I can identify each and every hook, riff, & line a rap "artist" has stolen from a real musician. It's even more amusing when they try to disguise or transpose a well-known melody or libretto, and then destroy any semblance of a song with Neanderthalian utterances.

Eurphoria - what about Erik Satie? Don't you just love his "Gymnopedies"?

Sharetroll - you alluded to rap being worse than Indian Tribal Music. I think it's even worse than Ancient Druids' Chants (, or is THAT rap)

To Gbade.x - if the rap "musicians" don't want themselves portrayed a certain way, then why do they keep giving interviews on MTV, VH1, etc.?, during which they VERY MUCH perpetrate the "bling-bling, hoe, whip-driving image"? Why aren't they on Tavis Smiley, Oprah, Dr. Phil, or Bill O'Reilly? Oh, maybe because these quality shows simply don't want them,

lm
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 3:31am On Feb 23, 2007
ki lo n so?!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Christino(m): 11:27pm On Feb 23, 2007
@ Linda,

I don't know why you cunningly avoided "Gospel Rap" or "Consciousness Rap".

No form of music requires extreme expertise. Music is the product of inspiration. I could spend a whole day in a studio and produce a 16-track RnB album, if i can play classical instruments, i can as well produce a 40 track Classical album in one single day. Classical has to do about remembering and implementing your sequence of keystrokes in a timely manner, same goes for all forms of soundtrack music, and hooks (choruses). How RAP became crap because Oprah failed to invite rappers is so surprising!!!

If oprah is best at showing bra sizes and extreme makeover and beyonce's new fashion outfit, i don't know if rappers'd even welcome an invitation to such, i remember the bust up with Luda Cris. cheesy

You don't like rap because some rappers indulge in name calling especially for women. As for the bling bling tingy, i don't support that beef, rock rappers as well as some americans have crazy tattoos and extreme piercing all over their bodies and no one seems to be concerned. Bling bling is extreme jewellery owned by rich people. Many RAPpers see their blings as a such of identity or inspiration. Some even customize it with their names just like rich people customize their number plates. So what'z d big deal about that?

Please show me a classical guy who spoke for his people with his music. I can speak of Tupac. Dead but still living!

Back @ topic: Classical Music is Better than Rap. Why? Cos Rap indulges in name calling for women and classical is for Old People who have no teeth and as such can't rap. Point Blank! grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 1:37am On Mar 02, 2007
Roflmao @ Christino! On point like sharp HB pencils.

@ shareho oops typo error, sharetroll and LindaM:

please keep up with the Classical music. When you two are as broke as Bleep, i'll probably grant sharetroll that part-time Aboki job while Linda would be competing with that ghanian at the back of my house selling puff-puff and akara.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by dvenom(m): 11:54am On Mar 02, 2007
This comparison is an impossible one,I live for two kinds of music,
JAZZ/CLASSICAL and RAP.
And the two of them are genres so far apart,so I cant say I prefer any!
When i'm not playin Jayz or Nas or Jadakiss,then I must be playin Tchaikovsky or Yanni or Kenny-G,Billy Vaughn etc.
I also cant live witout rap,cos thats my source of inspiration,being an emcee.Plus,goodrap requires a lot of creativity,intelligence.No one should dare call rap nonsense,Its easier to write 20 R&B verses,than a single good rap verse!
RESPECT RAPPERS!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by LindaM1(f): 7:44am On Mar 03, 2007
Thank you for the laugh!!!
For all of the audiophiles - hang in there - there is REAL music and there are REAL lyrics.
And it will never be in the guise of "RAP",
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 1:43pm On Mar 03, 2007
. . . .and it is in the guise of Classical Music? Please don't make me laugh!!!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by LindaM1(f): 6:20am On Mar 19, 2007
gbade.x - let's just put it this way: rap "music" is essentially the same as P. T. Barnum's "egress". Just another gimmick, packaged as one thing, but in all instances designed to fool the masses and extort the maximum amount of money possible in (what I hope) is a relatively limited amount of time. Thank you India Arie, Alicia Keyes, Norah Jones, Corrine Bailey Ray, John Legend, etc. for bringing real music back to the world. And thank you for delivering songs which are devoid of negative references to womanhood, and songs which don't depend on violence or inane (OR INSANE?) male braggadocio to sell themselves. As for any comparison between rap and classical music - it's like comparing Hitler to God. And I think you know which is which,

vehemently,
Linda M.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by WesleyanA(f): 3:48am On Mar 20, 2007
@ Linda,

As we all know classical music (western art music) caters to the high culture (wealthy people) in the west and their entertainment while rap music caters for the inner city people, poor folks, youth, minority, and their entertainment & concerns.rap has a wide audience because the genre has spread all over the world.

I personally am not a huge fan of either form but i'll pick rap music over classical music anyday. lol
I get nothing from classical music. boring, and dead sad doesn't apply to me.
rap on the other hand, If you listen to the good artists, they have good messages. I remember my church pastor singing Nas' "I know I can" to us little kids when it used to be the song.
Yeah a lot of the rappers that are popular are wack ad preach violence, sex and drugs (duh, . sex and violence always runs the show) esp. in USA
but that doesn't disqualify the other rap musicians whether they're based in France, England, underground or in Nigeria (amplifyed crew, maintain, trybesmen, ruggedman etc).

and oh yeah, rap music is more vocal. while classical music is instrumental. play your expensive high culture piano and whatever.
so i don't know why you expect rap musicians to be tapping away at pianos If you can't qualify that by expecting Mozart to be vocalizing free rhymes that talks to the society.

there's a difference between the two. no real comparison, IMO

As for any comparison between rap and classical music - it's like comparing Hitler to God.

can "your hero" India arie be considered Hitler's messenger then for collaborating with Akon (famous mainstream rapper) in her song "I am not my hair"?

and you sound like you're only familiar with MTV african american rappers. Listen to rappers from all over the world to widen your perspective.
Neither Beethoven (german) nor Mozart (austrian) was american wink
and i never heard of an american classical musician. so widen your perspective and listen to rappers from germany too. or maybe Nigeria cool cool
we're not obsessed with violence and sex in media like americans. at least not yet.

I most definitely prefer pop music to rap music though. lol cheesy cheesy
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by LindaM1(f): 4:12am On Mar 21, 2007
you know what, wesleyanA?  you're absolutely right.  i should give other rappers a listen and not just base my opinion of rap on what i've heard from american rappers.  could you give me maybe 5 rappers to listen to?  i will not listen to anything that denigrates women or advocates violence. and i have no wish to see anybody's thong.  it's just that i can't stand the atonal monotony of american rap.  no offense to anyone, but it reminds me of old tarzan movies where the "savages" danced and chanted around a white person who was tied to a stake and rotating around a fire. but i will confess that i am too myopic in my views of music and would like to know what rap encompasses.  i really did like arrested development - is that considered rap? and i'll concede that at least one of their songs did advocate violence, or at least some sort of uprising against the status quo. and i do like mechell n'degeocello's (sorry for the bad spelling) plantation lullabies album.  is she considered rap?  i have no clue who contemporary rap artists are and what they're talking about.  and i can't stomach the overly sexual themes.  been there, done that. if it's no major undertaking, i really would appreciate a list or something that would guide me to explore today's rap.  as for classical music - it isn't just for the old and feeble as some have alluded to.  it's been the basis for many musical forms - from rag to jazz.  try listening to erik satie's gymopedies.  listen to "ode to joy".  and PLEASE listen to harry connick's "over the rainbow" from his "songs i heard" album - the opening orchestration is classical and sublime. listen to marcus roberts' "gershwin for lovers" which is replete with classical undertones.  if you're willing - share what you know about rap, and i'll totally change your perspective about classical music.  game?

linda m
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Prophetic: 8:16am On Nov 23, 2008
music made me hip hop raised me
growing up imperfect rose in the concrete
so dont hate, cause its my culture what i think is great
this rap game was all i got i could shit on your debate
its music, so listen to what im about to say
listen to whatt i recite
what i write, the things i spit
you bitches bout to get it right
so listen, try to understand hiphop
the beat my soul watch this poetry drop
watch me pop,
money, cars, women That shit aint hiphop
its just the shit stuck on the bottom
really fucken listen to pac
and the worlds problems
cause i dont give a fuk about mozart ot chopin
they were great but did they
give a Bleep about the worlds problems?!
bitch i dont think so,
so listen to my rhmes, poetry my lingo
because these artists see society on a different angle
born rebels had to fight a soldier needed to get through the night
while what did mozart do? got sick coward in fright
so don talk shit about hiphop
yall aint right let me bring yall into the light
music is music yall can all hunt me tonite
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by rhymz(m): 9:47pm On Jun 04, 2009
I think d owner of this thread is rap-phobic,Ur intro sayz it all,it's either U re white or a white wanna be cos Ur intro is so biase against dat genre dat i wonder wat realy dis thread is abt,is it to discourage ppl 4rm listenin to rap and giv it a bad name or what.If U think rap is bad then wat abt rock music,i mean what can U possibly claim is appealing abt it,is the very weird and devilish lyricz or d noisy rubbish they sing wit their very bad voice but stil ppl listen to it.Me i am a die hard classic music fan esp when it comez to soul music not Ur mozart or dat jaw twisting name,when i say classic i mean gud music esp 4rm old sch,including rap jazz,hiphop and rnb,no be dat kind thin wey I watch for dis moviez Phantom of D Opera,if person do dat sick stuf for show wey i pay 4 na blow i go giv am collect my cash.So pls stop d comparism gud music does't luk at genre.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 04, 2009
You can find good music underneath both genres though personally I prefer Classical
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gflex(m): 9:55pm On Jun 04, 2009
RAP IS ABOUT YOUR SOCIETY CLASSICAL MUSIC IS ABOUT PLEASURE. men, i did better go for rap, it shows me more of what goes on in my world and other peoples'. smiley
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by rhymz(m): 9:26am On Jun 05, 2009
If the so-called classical music is so damn good how come very few ppl listen to it and rap that U claim is very bad has more audience.The fact is dat rap is not just a genre of music,it's poetic in nature,it can be balladic(narrative poem),an elegy(song or poem full of sadness for d dead),and it could also be in d form of an ode(a long elaborate usually rhymed lyrical poem often in praise or celebration of sth or sb).These attributes re wat endearz it to ppl,it's not jst abt great soundz and beats,but it also ministerz,addresses d ills in d society,it talks abt issues in a way no genre,no matter how sophisticated can do.And who sayz U dont need skillz to be a rapper,am yet to see any genre of music dat does't require skillz,may be U should ask a committed rapper how rap is written,it's in barz,u ve to know stuf like dat,u dont jst pick d mic and start rapping,like any other skill it's honed thru practice and commitment.So tryin to sound sophisticated with those jaw-twisting namez only appeals to U.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Raze: 11:51am On Jun 06, 2009
I think simmy summed it up well. Classical music also has sub-standard composers so what's the fuss about. There is also something I've noticed about non Hip-Hop fans; they are always attacking the genre. Why? I have never criticized other genres. I like some of them. Hip-Hop artists don't keep childish grudges, they work with any good music they find; be it Techno, Rock, Classical, Reggae etc. So why beef them? The root of all this is racism. White men are not happy with Hip-Hop's success so they are trashing it anyhow. Btw gbade, Euphoria, naijafan and co, thank you for sonning that scarecrow. Oh sorry sharetroll. Lol. Just say you don't like Rap and don't come here and disguise subjectivity as objectivity.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Abbott(m): 9:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
I know this thread has been way back but I gotta say mine too. Sharetroll didnt go about this thread well. Rap is cool. Used to love rap. Still do. But it must be old school.
CNN Changes gonna come
Outkast Fresh and clean.
Killah Priest View from Masada
Ashanti
Mary J Blige Rainy Days etc

For all the die hard rap fans, you guys will love these recommendation. It comes highly recommended.
Ask Linda M.
Michael Nyman:Chasing Sheep is best left for Shepherd
Charlotte Church:Carrick Fergus
Charlotte Church:illa tormento
Henry Mancini:Moonriver, soundtrack to the classic "Breakfast at Tiffanys"
Will come back and bring more. These classics with the first three contemporary classics come highly recommended. Enjoy!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by RSAMAN(m): 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
sharetroll: Comparing classical to rap is like comparing filet mignon to a cheeseburger. One is cheap, easy, and convenient. The other requires a more sophisticated taste. The only reason why rap sells so much is because it is constantly played for the teeny bops who make up the majority of the album purchasing population.

If MTV and VH1 were to tell the album buying youth that classical music was cool, the stores wouldn't be able to stock the shelves fast enough.

100 years from now, what is going to be in more peoples music players: Tchaikovsky or Tupac?

Classical music withstands the test of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGmIlMS60c0

Discuss.

Who's written a symphony in the last 12 months?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

VIDEO: 'Sholala' - Juliet Ibrahim Ft. Amon / Download Timi Dakolo - Iyawo Mi Instrumental / Chidinma Ft. Tha Suspect & Illbliss - Emi Ni Baller Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.