Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,009 members, 7,821,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like (6940 Views)

Top Ten Things That Will Happen When Nigeria Is Restructured / Where Would The Regional Headquarters Be Cited In A Restructured Nigeria / What A Truly Restructured Nigeria Will Look Like Economically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 9:12am On Jun 29, 2017
leofab:
why don't we make it community by community ? Or maybe by family
community? how will that work..is that not the same thing as the local govt? how will this community be form to be a component part of the govt if not through their local govt? or are you saying the local govt should be redefined? family by family is way too complex..
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by BabaRamota1980: 9:12am On Jun 29, 2017
Any region that struggles to generate at least 40% of its budget from current productivity output is unsustainable. It must source budgetary spending from other revenue source.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 9:15am On Jun 29, 2017
Smoothie01:
Finally, we see an educative thread on NL politics section
my sister i thought i was dreaming when i saw this topic entered second page without seeing nonsense and immature comments..kodus to Nairalanders...so we still have some intelligent and matured people here after all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by theSpark(m): 9:17am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

Hmn, I can feel you but each region will still have its internal structures that can continue to evolve. Under the current system, I feel we will be creating more problems than solving them.
Lets understand a few of the reasons for agitations:
Economic, ethnic, cultural and even spiritual dominance are a few reasons. Creating more states to solving these problems is like picking up every beautiful dress out there, if you wear more than one at a time your admirers will begin to sense something is beginning to go wrong upstairs.
Regions can divide themselves into counties or even on township basis and have Mayors from their kinsmen and everyone can be a part of governance

Nice perspective. About creating more States I believe if the conditions are tight (which would be difficult in Nigeria due to sentiments) many states will merge due to non viability few will split.

I like your perspective Sha, the idea is to build a society where every Nigerian will not be oppressed/dominated but will have a fair opportunity to achieve his/aspirations and practice his customs and faith. Same goes for each ethnic group. What we fear most is domination by the big 3.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Smoothie01(f): 9:17am On Jun 29, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Educate me about smoothie.... cheesy cheesy
Lol....it's quite nutritious if you find the perfect blend of fruits and veggies, not forgetting ice cubes tongue
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Smoothie01(f): 9:20am On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
my sister i thought i was dreaming when i saw this topic entered second page without seeing nonsense and immature comments..kodus to Nairalanders...so we still have some intelligent and matured people here after all.
It's indeed an interesting read...I hope it's maintained sha by ignoring anyone that constitutes nuisance..
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 9:24am On Jun 29, 2017
shobenward:
I support those that argue that Nigeria should have 6 regions and even more importantly the constitution must acknowledge all the ethnic tribes in Nigeria, no matter their size..Each region would have resource control and would each have their own sub constitution designed along their ethnic practices i.e the north east could base their constitution on sharia if they so please. This regions would then create states along their sub ethnic leanings i.e The Yoruba region could create states such as ijebu, Egba .The South South could create ijaw and itshekiri states etc.with each of this states having representatives at the respective parliament of each region.
The federal level should be a parliamentary system headed by a prime minister who will function as head of government and a president as head of state and will also double as president of the Senate. The Federal government would only be largely concerned with foreign affairs coordination and defence,border security.
Education would be a joint affair between the regions and the federal government .
All items on the concurrent and the residual list would be handled by the regions with the power to devolve them to their respective states. This is my idea of an ideal Nigeria where the South will not feel threatened by the northern conservative attitude and each region would develop at its own determined pace free from external pressures and would even begin to adopt their own indigenous language as official languages in their respective domains and would adopt their own educational syllabi without fear of one religion over the other with minimal input from the federal level. Each contributing to the centeredness their own fair share.
If the whole north decide to introduce sharia to their region then what will happen to the indigenous minority Christians there..I believe the sharia law in the north should only apply to northern Muslims or state that decide to be controlled by it and this law should also apply to the rich and poor. All core Northern state should decide if they wish to be under the sharia law or not..no state should be force to do anythings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 9:31am On Jun 29, 2017
theSpark:

Nice perspective. About creating more States I believe if the conditions are tight (which would be difficult in Nigeria due to sentiments) many states will merge due to non viability few will split.

I like your perspective Sha, the idea is to build a society where every Nigerian will not be oppressed/dominated but will have a fair opportunity to achieve his/aspirations and practice his customs and faith. Same goes for each ethnic group. What we fear most is domination by the big 3.

Its not just about the big three even across several states there are agitations of domination by bigger groups. Ok lets look at Benue, Bauchi,Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Kogi etc. Now look at a situation whereby Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo are just one state/region each having the same members in Parliament like other 3-7 regions/ states legislating on things that bring everyone together, you can be sure your confidence will rise

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Candyrain(m): 9:32am On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

5. Alaigbo : The current five southeastern stars and the igbo kinsmen in Delta and Rivers

And Benue, Cross River, Edo etc

None should be minority in the new structure
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 9:36am On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
If the whole north decide to introduce sharia to their region then what will happen to the indigenous minority Christians there..I believe the sharia law in the north should only apply to northern Muslims or state that decide to be controlled by it and this law should also apply to the rich and poor. All core Northern state should decide if they wish to be under the sharia law or not..no state should be force to do anythings.

If the region /state that introduced sharia is largely Muslim the federal/ central law protects the right of all Nigerians that live there, however, such religious practices cannot be legislated out, it will die a natural death under economic burdens
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 9:37am On Jun 29, 2017
Candyrain:

And Benue, Cross River, Edo etc

None should be minority in the new structure

Yes, as the people themselves will have it determined
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by deedeedee1: 9:39am On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
Deedee..sometimes if you have nothing positive to say it better to just observe as a spectator..you did not even bring any suggestion on how to live together as Nigerians but to discredit people commendation and contribution toward a restructured Nigeria...yes our fathers did not do well when Nigeria practiced regionalism but that does not mean we will fail. That is why we have history.which we have certainly learnt from..now this time around the state will retain their positive ( which was not there in the 60s) and who ever cannot survive on their own can merge with another viable state in that same region..it a thing of choice and not by force...so every state will have to wear their thinking cap on how to generate income to their states and regions as a whole..what is your suggestion if restructuring is not the solution? that we split up? why split up if there is an option of restructuring to ascertain if a region can leave in peace with one another...
We should learn from our fathers by not practising regionalism. This will not stop tribalism or the hate. We cannot live as one. There will always be differences. I am a realist here. When you have people who dont like themselves, how can such country work? This is why i said we should learn from our fathers.
I have said my own ooo. I do not support regionalism but total disintegration.
Oodua republic can practise regionalism, but not nigeria.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by shobenward: 10:06am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:

We should learn from our fathers by not practising regionalism. This will not stop tribalism or the hate. We cannot live as one. There will always be differences. I am a realist here. When you have people who dont like themselves, how can such country work? This is why i said we should learn from our fathers.
I have said my own ooo. I do not support regionalism but total disintegration.
Oodua republic can practise regionalism, but not nigeria.
when people say the era of regionalism brought ethnic sentiments I get confused because for me all I saw was the intense competition unlike this current contraption in which the states wait for the federal government to dish out money hence no need to compete and outdo each other thus leading to development.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by deedeedee1: 10:07am On Jun 29, 2017
shobenward:
when people say the era of regionalism brought ethnic sentiments I get confused because for me all I saw was the intense competition unlike this current contraption in which the states wait for the federal government to dish out money hence no need to compete and outdo each other thus leading to development.
This is what i am saying. Why da hell should we be competiting?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by shobenward: 10:29am On Jun 29, 2017
deedeedee1:

This is what i am saying. Why da hell should we be competiting?
the lack of healthy competition is the current situation we are all experiencing in Nigeria right now . If all the states were all to experience a what u earn is what u get situation u would see how each state would strive to outdo each other in providing suitable investment ground for investors and provide suitable policies that would cause investors to favour them and provide jobs for its residents not for everyone to rush to Lagos cause there are other alternatives then I don't see how the lives of Nigerians would not improve. I think competition can be a good thing as long that it is controlled via the constitution

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by IJOBA2: 10:36am On Jun 29, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
is 14 not too much?

Western Region should have the 6 states of SW, Yoruba speaking parts of KWara and Kogi.

Itshekiris and Yoruba part of Edo (Akoko Edo) can also be added.
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR POSITION IN MUSLIM DOMINATED AFONJA REPUBLIC BRUHsad
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by mandarin: 11:09am On Jun 29, 2017
IJOBA2:

There's nothing wrong in a multireligious country whether dominated by whichever religion. What brings prosperity is a system that create values for all citizens irrespective of religious affiliation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
IJOBA2:
please take your bigotry out of this healthy forum..we don't need children here..is that clear!..get the hell of this thread.For goodness sake does this place look like your typical tribal bashing thread to you?.when we thought we have thread with sensible and matured people coming on board to discuss pressing national issues and here you are crawling from your hole to pollute this thread again..GET OUT , WE DONT NEED YOUR KIND HERE.

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 12:53pm On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
please take your bigotry out of this healthy forum..we don't need children here..is that clear!..get the hell of this thread.For goodness sake does this place look like your typical tribal bashing thread to you?.when we thought we have thread with sensible and matured people coming on board to discuss pressing national issues and here you are crawling from your hole to pollute this thread again..GET OUT , WE DONT NEED YOUR KIND HERE.

Thank you. When I wanted to reply you I saw please don't make racist or tribalistic comment in this section yet the mods don't enforce their rules. That moniker should have been banned and his destructive comments hidden.
Now on the subject matter I kind of have a different take. I am of the opinion that it's the failure of bad leadership and corruption that is the real problem and not the systems. This regional system they talk about was practiced by our forefathers it didn't stop the corruption. I remember vividly Kaduna Nzeogwu the organiser of the first coup say what led him to it was because the civilians were very corrupt. Okay, look at it this way, they said we shouldn't have federal roads, ask yourself what about the state roads? Are they better...what have the state governors done with whatever they get. Look at Bayelsa and Delta. The money that has gone through that place in the past 15 years is enough to turn those places to dubai if they had visionary leaders. So its not the system, it's the people. I agree the system might need some tweaking namely realigning states and more devolution of power to the states, Letting the Local Governments function well as they have been designed. The are virtually dead now because of State Government violating there autonomy. In short, the people need to change. We need a new consciousness and mentality that holds our leaders accountable and has a commitment to Good governance. My suggestion is this, Let them start from the 2014 Confab report and Implement it. This govt is a massive disappointment playing politics with it. At the very least, implement it or call your own and the nation can move forward. On the secessionists, those ones will be worse than even what they are complaining off if they ever get Power. The Corruption and Minority subjugation would be worse. We need a leadership that can implement the 2014 Confab.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by IJOBA2: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2017
omoharry:
YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by OXYZ: 1:01pm On Jun 29, 2017
I'm really impressed with the quality of discussion , kudos,we need more of such on Nairaland
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by SuperS1Panther: 1:01pm On Jun 29, 2017
IJOBA2:

Brah, I will be ok with whatever position you Igbo xtians take in the Osu Jews dominated Biafrau.d Republic.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 1:05pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

There's nothing wrong in a multireligious country whether dominated by whichever religion. What brings prosperity is a system that create values for all citizens irrespective of religious affiliation

Religion won't matter if a secular approach to governance is strictly followed like France. Religion should be a personal thing. No government interference in religion. Govt has no business funding pilgrimage groups either Christian or Muslim. Strict separation of Religion and State.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Brah, I will be ok with whatever position you Igbo xtians take in the Osu Jews dominated Biafrau.d Republic.

Pls dont feed trolls. Once trolls are ignored they die natural death

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by omoharry(f): 1:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Thank you. When I wanted to reply you I saw please don't make racist or tribalistic comment in this section yet the mods don't enforce their rules. That moniker should have been banned and his destructive comments hidden.
Now on the subject matter I kind of have a different take. I am of the opinion that it's the failure of bad leadership and corruption that is the real problem and not the systems. This regional system they talk about was practiced by our forefathers it didn't stop the corruption. I remember vividly Kaduna Nzeogwu the organiser of the first coup say what led him to it was because the civilians were very corrupt. Okay, look at it this way, they said we shouldn't have federal roads, ask yourself what about the state roads? Are they better...what have the state governors done with whatever they get. Look at Bayelsa and Delta. The money that has gone through that place in the past 15 years is enough to turn those places to dubai if they had visionary leaders. So its not the system, it's the people. I agree the system might need some tweaking namely realigning states and more devolution of power to the states, Letting the Local Governments function well as they have been designed. The are virtually dead now because of State Government violating there autonomy. In short, the people need to change. We need a new consciousness and mentality that holds our leaders accountable and has a commitment to Good governance. My suggestion is this, Let them start from the 2014 Confab report and Implement it. This govt is a massive disappointment playing politics with it. At the very least, implement it or call your own and the nation can move forward. On the secessionists, those ones will be worse than even what they are complaining off if they ever get Power. The Corruption and Minority subjugation would be worse. We need a leadership that can implement the 2014 Confab.
You are right..the 2014 and national confab should be implemented but the some APC political elite took the confab as a PDP thing.. with true federalism, the state will not have who to blame for their lack of efficiency..now they seem to be under the cover of the federal govt as everything is expected to be done fine them as perceived by ordinary Nigerians..but now they will be held accountable independently for their deed..at this time,..any govt/state that choose no to development his province does it at his own risk as it will no way affect other state who chooses to develop.the effect will be brain drain and investment from their state to other region/state.
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
mandarin:

Nigeria is your country and you don't have to lose hope. I've read countless argument on how its been the fault of colonialist in merging unlike terms and called it Nigeria but if we really look at it, it was the fault of our leaders not coming up with what works for us. As developed as Europe is, its still evolving and no heaven is falling! Our leaders had in their best intents worked to protect their parochial interests without paying attention to how to make our differences into a strength that work but see their organizations they do such things to amass so much wealth.
May be the current below 50years population will see to a better Nigeria

I have lost hope in this Union, and let's not just blame the leaders, while they all played part in our misery, the system has always been designed to fail. And a wise man once told me that a bad system would beat a good individual any day. All these call for restructuring, whatever that means to anyone is looking like an exercise in futility even before it's started. What you're thinking is not even what the ruling elites are thinking, the restructuring these people are talking is probably trying to carve out more States and give some more change to the agitating regions in attempt to shut them up, while continuing to loot, could you imagine that?

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 29, 2017
mrnigerdelta:
there are no indigenous Yoruba people in Edo. stop spreading lies
Go and read about akoko edo
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by dyydxx: 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

I have lost hope in this Union, and let's not just blame the leaders, while they all played part in our misery, the system has always been designed to fail. And a wise man once told me that a bad system would beat a good individual any day. All these call for restructuring, whatever that means to anyone is looking like an exercise in futility even before it's started. What you're thinking is not even what the ruling elites are thinking, the restructuring these people are talking is probably trying to carve out more States and give some more change to the agitating regions in attempt to shut them up, while continuing to loot, could you imagine that?
Ok simple question. Do you think if everyone goes there separate ways the looting will stop? In so called Biafra, wont the OSU and any other ethnic minorities marginalised? Will Biafra be free from all forms of corruption?
Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Eazybay(m): 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2017
For me, it should be LGA by LGA.. That way representation and power is given to the grassroot. The LGA contribute to the State and the state remit to federal. With strict laws enforceable by both state and federal govt.

That way, d state would check d LG and plug leakages and d federal govt would check d states.. Tax evasion should also be seen as a CRIME!

If the trickle down effect is stopped and MONEY looked into from both entry and exit points, all dis electoral imposition would reduce..

Now how do we tackle d federal agencies dat presently look overstaffed?

2 Likes

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by seunmsg(m): 3:39pm On Jun 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

I have lost hope in this Union, and let's not just blame the leaders, while they all played part in our misery, the system has always been designed to fail. [b]And a wise man once told me that a bad system would beat a good individual any day. All these call for restructuring, whatever that means to anyone is looking like an exercise in futility even before it's started. What you're thinking is not even what the ruling elites are thinking, the restructuring these people are talking is probably trying to carve out more States and give some more change to the agitating regions in attempt to shut them up, while continuing to loot, [/b]could you imagine that?

The concerns you raised is why a thread like this is very important to set the agenda for the inevitable restructuring of Nigeria. It is not enough to call for restructuring of the system, we have to clearly define the type of structure we intend to migrate to. If we leave everything to politicians without setting agenda for them, they will hijack the restructuring campaign and create a system that will benefit them only.

Nigerians need to come together and start debating the new structure that we want to see in our country and Nairaland is a good platform to start that debate. I really want as many people as possible to contribute to this discussion but that won't be possible until the moderators move this thread to front-page. I have called seun and lalasticlala but they are not responding.

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 29, 2017
dyydxx:

Ok simple question. Do you think if everyone goes there separate ways the looting will stop? In so called Biafra, wont the OSU and any other ethnic minorities marginalised? Will Biafra be free from all forms of corruption?

Corruption and nepotism would be better controlled in a nation with common interests, the law would also be more decisive in dealing with corrupt elements. There would be less cases of "they are witch hunting me because I'm from so so ethnicity." People would have their destiny in their hands, once they don't have anything to blame failures on, everybody would sit up, an average southerner is not willing to pay tax because he knows that money would be pooled together in Abuja and shared to his disadvantage. Alcohol is one of the highest selling commodities in the world and as such one of the highest VAT earner, you say alcohol is haram but you get the lion share from alcohol taxes. Who is fooling who? The average southerner pays a higher tax, but his child that scored 150 in common entrance to unity school would be rejected for someone who scored 4, like single digit "4"....that my friend is the real haram!

1 Like

Re: A Restructured Nigeria: How It Should Look Like by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2017
seunmsg:

The concerns you raised is why a thread like this is very important to set the agenda for the inevitable restructuring of Nigeria. It is not enough to call for restructuring of the system, we have to clearly define the type of structure we intend to migrate to. If we leave everything to politicians without setting agenda for them, they will hijack the restructuring campaign and create a system that will benefit them only.

Nigerians need to come together and start debating the new structure that we want to see in our country and Nairaland is a good platform to start that debate. I really want as many people as possible to contribute to this discussion but that won't be possible until the moderators move this thread to front-page. I have called seun and lalasticlala but they are not responding.

What makes you think these people care about any agenda to you set?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Weak Saraki Seen at Atikus' conference- Sahara Reporters / Release Nnamdi Kanu Now! Nothing Must Happen To Him - UK Tells Nigeria / 2023: Don’t Take Side With Any Presidential Aspirant, PDP’s Bot Cautions Ayu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.