Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. (1165 Views)

Life Is Hard. Where is God? Theists And Atheist Help, Anything. I Am Desperate! / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Which Bible Story Would You Love To Recreate.for Theist And Atheist Alike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 5:36pm On Jun 30, 2017
This especially goes to catfishbilly but other atheist can join in. I recently started having this feeling that nothing is of importance, all this so called making it in life is not important. If someone does something that is supposed to make me sad, I don't feel sad. I am just like it's not important. Things that I find disgraceful don't seem disgraceful. I just feel like nothing is important or worth it and what's the point. I know that this is not right and is out of reality and I want to ask if it has happened to anyone before and you guys could help me out. All of a sudden, in my mind, nothing seems important or of value or worth it. I am numb to offense, disgrace and shame as some would have it. Why is this? cry
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Wilgrea7(m): 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2017
I'm not an atheist but i think it has a lot to do with the mind.. it depends on what you give importance to.. you are more likely to get affected by things you give importance to

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by CatfishBilly: 7:30pm On Jun 30, 2017
How about your appetite? Libido? Do you find your self sleeping a lot? Do you have diminished interest in things you used to see as fun?
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by timiawe123: 7:36pm On Jun 30, 2017
I experience it too. when you become an atheist, you realize that our existence is basically useless.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2017
CatfishBilly:
How about your appetite? Libido? Do you find your self sleeping a lot? Do you have diminished interest in things you used to see as fun?
my appetite and libido is great. I'm not depressed. It's just that things have no importance and it's like why the whole hustle to make it.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 7:44pm On Jun 30, 2017
timiawe123:
I experience it too. when you become an atheist, you realize that our existence is basically useless.
lol. When you become an atheist, you become the determiner of what's wrong and what's right. I even found myself defining my ethics grin cheesy. But this feeling of nothing is of value is freaking in nature. It's just like being a dustbin parker on the streets and your mates are making it and mocking you yet you feel there is nothing there and what's the point. You get
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by CatfishBilly: 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2017
Martinez19:
my appetite and libido is great. I'm not depressed. It's just that things have no importance and it's like why the whole hustle to make it.
Since your appetite and libido is great, then I wouldn't worry too much.
Did you have any major change in your life recently?
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Deicide: 9:47pm On Jun 30, 2017
The way Atheist see the world is different from the way a typical Muslim or Christian would see it
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 9:57pm On Jun 30, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Since your appetite and libido is great, then I wouldn't worry too much.
Did you have any major change in your life recently?
No but how can a change contribute to this feeling?
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by GoodMuyis(m): 11:58pm On Jun 30, 2017
Martinez19:

Do you ever think you need to eat more than before?
Does relating to others seems not useful?
Do you like just being alone?
Happy or Sad all just seems normal or no strong change in mood?
etc etc etc

If you are a Christian, I will say its a call... but....

If you are not, Sell you fone go and buy Nokia torchlight, you are **technology overload**. This happen as a result of spending much time with computing devices than human.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 12:11am On Jul 01, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Do you ever think you need to eat more than before?
Does relating to others seems not useful?
Do you like just being alone?
Happy or Sad all just seems normal or no strong change in mood?
etc etc etc

If you are a Christian, I will say its a call... but....

If you are not, Sell you fone go and buy Nokia torchlight, you are **technology overload**. This happen as a result of spending much time with computing devices than human.
technology overload hmmmmmm. But how can it be a call as christian?
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 2:02am On Jul 01, 2017
I get it now, it is called anhedonia. That guy who told me it is a call, I smh grin.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by CatfishBilly: 8:19am On Jul 01, 2017
Martinez19:
I get it now, it is called anhedonia. That guy who told me it is a call, I smh grin.
Anhedonia is one of the components of depression.
A major change in your life could be seen as a stress event and could manifest psychologically.
Since there's nothing to pin point reall. I suggest you watch it, stay around friends, but if it persists, seek help.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Anhedonia is one of the components of depression.
A major change in your life could be seen as a stress event and could manifest psychologically.
Since there's nothing to pin point reall. I suggest you watch it, stay around friends, but if it persists, seek help.
thanks bro, it is a component of depression. When you have it, you might not know.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by MuttleyLaff: 8:47am On Jul 01, 2017
Martinez19:
This especially goes to catfishbilly but other atheist can join in
Appetite? No
Libido? No
Do you find your self sleeping a lot? No
Do you have diminished interest in things you used to see as fun? No

I see our amiable and capable in-house Doc friend of mine checks
and him giving you a clean bill of health
Doc has ruled you out for clinical depression
as he couldnt find loss in appetite fun and libido nor indulging in excessive sleeping
and so safely and correctly attributed your new felt feeling down to change
Read more below about how change contributed to this your sudden felt feeling

Martinez19:
I recently started having this feeling that nothing is of importance, all this so called making it in life is not important.
Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
Our lives last 70 years or, if we are strong, 80 years.
It passes quickly and we gone.
We brought nothing material into the world
and neither can we carry anything material out of it.

Getting the right priorities is good and does matter

Life is not about the quantities amassed
but is about the qualities of masses' lives impacted

Martinez19:
If someone does something that is supposed to make me sad, I don't feel sad. I am just like it's not important
The learning of a man is known by patience
as the wisdom (i.e. making & taking +ve decisions) of such man makes him slow to anger
His virtue is to ignore an offence
and it is to his credit that he overlooks offenses

There is a huge amount of freedom when you don't take things personally.
Life just gets so much better when you stop taking things personally.

Change your priorities and you change your life
It's after we change and grow, that we see a world(s) we never knew
Life is 10% what happens to you
and 90% how you respond to it
It's that simple. Enjoy the freedom, enjoy life.

Martinez19:
Things that I find disgraceful don't seem disgraceful. I just feel like nothing is important or worth it and what's the point. I know that this is not right and is out of reality
The most important thing in life is always to do the right thing(s)

Martinez19:
and I want to ask if it has happened to anyone before and you guys could help me out. All of a sudden, in my mind, nothing seems important or of value or worth it. I am numb to offense, disgrace and shame as some would have it.
Yes, you've cultivated a paradigm shift and yielded to growth

Martinez19:
Why is this? cry
This is nothing to cry over or about
This isnt a new question, as so many people before you have posed this question too

Change of perpective and growth, is why it is

When you start looking at things differently,
and begin to realise that not everything's so important.
then the inevitable change is stirred up and growth is jump-started

Change is constant
There is nothing permanent except change
Everyone gets the shot to change,
It is a chance for us, to become better people.
Or become, dare I say, worse people

1 Like

Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by omoowhe: 9:47am On Jul 01, 2017
i can relate to this
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 10:12am On Jul 01, 2017
omoowhe:
i can relate to this
can you tell me how yours stated?
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
Martinez19:
This especially goes to catfishbilly but other atheist can join in. I recently started having this feeling that nothing is of importance, all this so called making it in life is not important. If someone does something that is supposed to make me sad, I don't feel sad. I am just like it's not important. Things that I find disgraceful don't seem disgraceful. I just feel like nothing is important or worth it and what's the point. I know that this is not right and is out of reality and I want to ask if it has happened to anyone before and you guys could help me out. All of a sudden, in my mind, nothing seems important or of value or worth it. I am numb to offense, disgrace and shame as some would have it. Why is this? cry

Please which religious belief do u adhere to??
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by jonbellion(m): 1:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
Why are atheists becoming nihilists man undecided
As an agnostic I enjoy my experience of life
That's why agnosticism is cool
You don't have to make everyone to agree too your worldview of a purposeless life like the militant atheists undecided
I would advise you to stop spending hours upon hours on debating religious people online and trying to show them why atheism is the new cool or in thing.
There are more things in life to bother about man
If I tell anyone about my views on religion and they feel any type of way and start getting all preachy and judgemental then that's their own business man. I couldn't give two bleeps about what they think undecided. You would find people that don't care and people that change their opinion towards you when they see your behaviour. Learn that variety is the spice of life and that meeting people with a different outlook on life is great and would serve as a way of understanding and accepting different world views. Everyone can't and will not be the same. Even if anyone should change their worldview on life from interacting with you ss an unbeliever it will be done at their own pace and decided by them not you. Then you'll see that spending hours on end to debate religious people is pointless. Completely pointless.
Why would you when care about what religious people believe if everything is purposeless
Just take things easy man
take your time and enjoy the ride of life while it lasts

1 Like

Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 2:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Please which religious belief do u adhere to??
I am irreligious. All the holy books are bunks.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 01, 2017
Martinez19:
I am irreligious. All the holy books are bunks.

Good.
That explains what's happening to u.

I am experiencing the same thing now, I became irreligious around November 2015.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by CoolUsername: 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2017
jonbellion:
Why are atheists becoming nihilists man undecided
As an agnostic I enjoy my experience of life
That's why agnosticism is cool
You don't have to make everyone to agree too your worldview of a purposeless life like the militant atheists undecided
I would advise you to stop spending hours upon hours on debating religious people online and trying to show them why atheism is the new cool or in thing.
There are more things in life to bother about man
If I tell anyone about my views on religion and they feel any type of way and start getting all preachy and judgemental then that's their own business man. I couldn't give two bleeps about what they think undecided. You would find people that don't care and people that change their opinion towards you when they see your behaviour. Learn that variety is the spice of life and that meeting people with a different outlook on life is great and would serve as a way of understanding and accepting different world views. Everyone can't and will not be the same. Even if anyone should change their worldview on life from interacting with you ss an unbeliever it will be done at their own pace and decided by them not you. Then you'll see that spending hours on end to debate religious people is pointless. Completely pointless.
Why would you when care about what religious people believe if everything is purposeless
Just take things easy man
take your time and enjoy the ride of life while it lasts

Always a good idea to step away from the debating scene once in a while to regain your sanity.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by jonbellion(m): 8:24pm On Jul 01, 2017
CoolUsername:

Wow... This is condescending. What exactly makes an agnostic less likely than an atheist to be nihilistic? Recognizing your place in the grand scheme of things doesn't necessarily make our part in the little bubble that we live in meaningless.

OP, who isn't even an atheist, is feeling a bit down and is doing the right thing by seeking help and specifically calling out a doctor and now you're preaching agnosticism?

Not cool, bro.
ooh
His thread sounded like he was having nihilistic thoughts so i simply said
Take a chill pill man
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by CoolUsername: 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2017
jonbellion:
ooh His thread sounded like he was having nihilistic thoughts so i simply said Take a chill pill man

Damn, I realized my mistake after posting and tried to modify, but then you'd already replied.

Sorry about that. My bad.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by NairalandSARS: 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
Op, I think it is DE-REALIZATION or DEPRESSION. i am passing thru the same thing as you, and suffer from both.
Re: Doctors And Atheist, Your Opinions Are Needed. by Martinez19(m): 9:31pm On Jul 01, 2017
NairalandSARS:
Op, I think it is DE-REALIZATION or DEPRESSION.
i am passing thru the same thing as you, and suffer from both.
I did a research and it's called anhedonia. In anhedonia, you can be an object of ridicule in the society and not feel a thing. Your life can be spiralling downwards and you don't just feel troubled. Anhedonia is what it is.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Facts About The Bamiloyes / Pls Stop Worshipping Me. Robert Powell / Grow Your Church 5-10 Times It's Current Membership Strength

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.