Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? (1485 Views)

Will Biafra Be In West Africa Or Central Africa / Wait A Minute, How Did We Descend This Low - By Dele Momodu / Buhari Not Coming Back, Stand In The Way Of Biafra & Be Destroyed - Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 5:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
Never before ( excluding the periods preceding the civil war, perhaps) have the calls for a Biafran State been so vociferous. Agitators in the so called South- East and a few more in the South- South zones are convinced that they have been politically and economically marginalized for too long despite constituting one of the three major ethnic groups( in this case, the Igbo's and the only major ethnic group not to have produced a president since 1999) as well as the source of the Country's highest contributing revenue source(oil) .
Perhaps, that the agitation is loudest now should not be surprising given the prominent role that Mr. Nnamdi Kanu has come to play both as an unrelenting symbol for the struggle and (as a consequence), the chief scape goat. While the complex nature of the demand for a new State and the Nigerian government's unyielding approach makes an independent Biafran State a very distant dream at best, It does not stop one from wondering what exactly a new State will offer people in this territory that will beat what Nigeria has to offer, especially in the event that restructuring is given a chance.
Amidst all the protests, chaos, accusations and exercise of authority through sit at home orders and so on that has come to characterize the Federal government versus Biafran confrontations, neutral observers do not have to look too far to find that the Biafran struggle focuses solely on severing ties with Nigeria, paying little attention to harsh realities that confront them if independence is ever attained.
It is very important to stress here that an hypothetical Biafran state will very likely face similar realities to what Nigeria currently grapples with. Firstly, the leaders will have to fashion out how the central government will be constituted to accommodate all interests and counter-interests. This will not be helped by the fact that the new State will be very much a multi ethnic State. There will be the need to address issues synonymous with heterogeneous States such as agreed revenue allocation formula, issues of ethnic minorities, Regional or Federal police and even where the capital should be cited will constitute issues for national discuss , does a certain Nigeria come to mind?.
To think ethnic sentiments will suddenly vanish as soon as a new State is formed is like saying the Igbo, Ijaw, Efik, ibibio, Itshekiri etcetera will suddenly renounce their distinct identities because they have a new State, this cannot be further away from reality. The recent statement credited to the Ijaw Youth council about having a distinct struggle to that of Biafra only serves to strengthen the argument that in the event that both Biafrans and so called Niger Deltans agree to form a State ( as Biafrans would obviously desire) ,the Ijaws will seek to pursue and guide their distinct interests within the new State.
It is an open secret that the interests of the Ijaw includes among other things controlling the rights of access to the proceeds from the oil gotten from their own land. It will be interesting to see how this will play out especially since the South- South states produce the most oil. In the event that the principle of derivation is mooted, the Igbo will very likely negate because it will put them at an obvious disadvantage making way for what could unexpected debacle. In the event that the principle of equality is favoured, the Ijaws are likely to disagree given that they would seek to avoid the Nigerian experience.
In similar vein, the political landscape is likely to be just as complicated. South Sudan (also oil rich) voted overwhelmingly to form its own separate State with similar hopes and grievances to that of Biafra but today is on the brink of collapse as ethnic tensions stirred by the president and his sacked vice have brought the State to its young knees, bringing only more suffering than they faced when in a united Sudan, just imagine the millions of displaced people . Just like in Sudan, the position of the president (as a key position) will most likely be rotated or zoned along ethnic lines and political parties are likely to develop along set ethnic boundaries rather than ideological lines.
This article is not in any way against the agitation for a better life for the people of the South-South and South-East. It is simply a honest wakeup call to my beloved ( I have too many friends across the divide) to carefully consider their choices, either ( devote their energy to the realization of) restructuring of Nigeria's federal system or a new State with its more cumbersome challenges and to open their eyes to possibilities they might have ignored in their emotionally laden struggle. Gracias
Please note; Because the ethnic groups in the South-South are numerous, the Ijaws were chosen for the purpose of this article as the largest ethnic group in the South-South.Attempting to highlight each ethnic group's position would take too much time and space.
Article written by AdmaF
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 01, 2017
No one will read this

Besides no one cares
[img]https://media./images/ac87aabf6f0f2e5a93a5e9dba434df12/tenor.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by wahles(m): 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
My argument exactly
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Elijahhopelarry(m): 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by vanbonattel: 10:15pm On Jul 01, 2017
Any country which is devoid of people from the south west and north must succeed.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Naijiant: 10:22pm On Jul 01, 2017
This is part of the Biafran Question: https://www.naijiant.com/articles/the-biafran-question/
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by nijabazaar: 11:18pm On Jul 01, 2017
u guys jeep using South Sudan as reference. What of Singapore and Malaysia?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 02, 2017
nijabazaar:

South Sudan is west africa. Singapore and Malaysia are not.

South Sudan happened recently.
Singapore and Malaysia happened decades are ago.

You cant compare apples to bananas
You cant get a carpenter to do an electricians job.

TheCabal:
Please note: South Sudan is not a W.A country.

3 Likes

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Dannidom(m): 1:19am On Jul 02, 2017
TheCabal:

As you said, you should stop comparing them, Biafrans and South Sudanese are not mates.

Leaving your comfort zone and trying something new has always been some of the secrets of success and sadly most Nigerians are too cowardly to try and I'm most disgruntled at those who ridicule those that try

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Nwodosis(m): 2:18am On Jul 02, 2017
We are not expecting Biafra to be heaven on Earth but it is better to hawk oranges for your MOTHER than hawking it for your AUNT!
That's summary of difference between Nigeria and Biafra. Our Mother is BIAFRA!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:01am On Jul 02, 2017
[quote author=Uchihaitaci post=58023174]No one will read this

Besides no one cares

Bro... u obviously angry n frustrated wich Is exactly my point- u are likely to make more mistakes when ur emotions control ur actions. Worse still, it might be too late to change when the consequences kick in!
Advice: Calm down and think in depth!
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:02am On Jul 02, 2017
vanbonattel:
Any country which is devoid of people from the south west and north must succeed.
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:03am On Jul 02, 2017
vanbonattel:
I am sure u didn't get this through any intense reearch
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:14am On Jul 02, 2017
nijabazaar:
Nice question bro...really sensible....u see, it's simply because when you compare factors and indices, South Sudan and a potential Biafra possess more in common than any of those two Countries plus d fact it's situated in Africa makes it even more relevant. Pls compare the issues I discussed in the article and do some research about where ethnic clinging and politics resulting in tension is more likely to take place, South Sudan or Singapore? Have a great Sunday!
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:22am On Jul 02, 2017
Dannidom:
As you said, you should stop comparing them, Biafrans and South Sudanese are not mates.

Leaving your comfort zone and trying something new has always been some of the secrets of success and sadly most Nigerians are too cowardly to try and I'm most disgruntled at those who ridicule those that try

Hey, no one is ridiculing anyone or group ( certainly not me), If u followed the article well, u'd hav discovered the OP is not against ur quest and agitation for a better life! Instead, my point exactly is to highlight the potential issues that are likely to hamper the better socioeconomic and political life u so crave, most of which people are either too naive to see or too excited to put into perspective!
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Dannidom(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2017
[quote author=ADMAF post=58037068][/quote]Bros what do you mean by being too emotional? Moreover you guys should stop pestering Biafrans with that cos NK have gotten the best of you guys through that means thats why you cant just stop feeling intimidated by Biafra's actions or inactions.

If you are really that sound mentally you can shut up and listen or support us, and stop taking panadol for people who doesnt care

1 Like 1 Share

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Dannidom(m): 7:37am On Jul 02, 2017
ADMAF:

Hey, no one is ridiculing anyone or group ( certainly not me), If u followed the article well, u'd hav discovered the OP is not against ur quest and agitation for a better life! Instead, my point exactly is to highlight the potential issues that are likely to hamper the better socioeconomic and political life u so crave, most of which people are either too naive to see or too excited to put into perspective!
Thank you for your concern and please bear it in mind that we are not altogether dunces. By the grace of God we have come this far and yet to put a foot wrong and hopefully we will continue to shine in the light of God according to his will.

1 Like

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Vladdo: 7:45am On Jul 02, 2017
TheCabal:

SOUTH SUDAN IS ON THE AXIS OF NORTHEASTERN AFRICA, AND NOT WEST AFRICA.

1 Like

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:52am On Jul 02, 2017
Dannidom:
Bros what do you mean by being too emotional? Moreover you guys should stop pestering Biafrans with that cos NK have gotten the best of you guys through that means thats why you cant just stop feeling intimidated by Biafra's actions or inactions.

If you are really that sound mentally you can shut up and listen or support us, and stop taking panadol for people who doesnt care
grin
Dannidom:
Bros what do you mean by being too emotional? Moreover you guys should stop pestering Biafrans with that cos NK have gotten the best of you guys through that means thats why you cant just stop feeling intimidated by Biafra's actions or inactions.

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:53am On Jul 02, 2017
Dannidom:

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 7:53am On Jul 02, 2017
I am willing to take my chances with Biafra.

Over 50 years of the same issues in Nigeria is enough time for us to have made a decision

3 Likes

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 7:56am On Jul 02, 2017
Dannidom:

.anger be clouds ur judgement sir grin
Dannidom:

lols..Anger be clouds ur judgement sir! While I can't place ur exact point, I'll try to answer the 2 I can relate to:
1. The struggle for Biafra has in no way or manner whatsoever cowed me. Instead, it's opened my eyes to its potentials......and struggles. Unfortunately the latter outweighs the former, hence my argument!
2. If you disagree with the points raised in the article, simply counter the arguments with ur points, don't resort to throwing anger tantrums and insults?
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Dannidom(m): 8:12am On Jul 02, 2017
ADMAF:

.anger be clouds ur judgement sir grin

lols..Anger be clouds ur judgement sir! While I can't place ur exact point, I'll try to answer the 2 I can relate to:
1. The struggle for Biafra has in no way or manner whatsoever cowed me. Instead, it's opened my eyes to its potentials......and struggles. Unfortunately the latter outweighs the former, hence my argument!
2. If you disagree with the points raised in the article, simply counter the arguments with ur points, don't resort to throwing anger tantrums and insults?

Unfortunate you've already convinced yourself that the stipends you make while enslaved is more satisfactory to a potential affluence you could acquire while free

2 Likes

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by RisingSun1: 8:23am On Jul 02, 2017
TheCabal:

SOUTH SUDAN IS NOT WEST AFRICA

You don't even know what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by pazienza(m): 8:37am On Jul 02, 2017
ADMAF:

Nice question bro...really sensible....u see, it's simply because when you compare factors and indices, South Sudan and a potential Biafra possess more in common than any of those two Countries plus d fact it's situated in Africa makes it even more relevant. Pls compare the issues I discussed in the article and do some research about where ethnic clinging and politics resulting in tension is more likely to take place, South Sudan or Singapore? Have a great Sunday!

What exactly does South Sudan posses in common with Biafra?
Is Botswana and Somalia both not situated in Africa?

OP, go worry about your Odua group. All over the facebook, it's same thing. Yoruba people writing useless articles about Biafra and Ndiigbo while promoting Nigeria unity, are you people well at all?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Agumbaa: 9:23am On Jul 02, 2017
pazienza:

What exactly does South Sudan posses in common with Biafra?
Is Botswana and Somalia both not situated in Africa?

OP, go worry about your Odua group. All over the facebook, it's same thing. Yoruba people writing useless articles about Biafra and Ndiigbo while promoting Nigeria unity, are you people well at all?

Nwanne ike ndia gwuru m

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by dlondonbadboy: 10:13am On Jul 02, 2017
Life is a risk...let's try Biafra

1 Like

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
RisingSun1:
SOUTH SUDAN IS NOT WEST AFRICA

You don't even know what you are talking about.

Indeed. South Sudan is not W.A country.
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2017
Vladdo:
SOUTH SUDAN IS ON THE AXIS OF NORTHEASTERN AFRICA, AND NOT WEST AFRICA.

Yes, South Sudan is not a W.A country.

My corresponding post highlights this fact.
Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by ADMAF(m): 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2017
Agumbaa:

Nwanne ike ndia gwuru m

M na-aghọta na ị na n'ụzọ zuru ezu cool
Agumbaa:

Nwanne ike ndia gwuru m

M na-aghọta na ị na n'ụzọ zuru ezu

1 Like

Re: But Wait A Minute, How Different Will Biafra Be From Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 2:16pm On Jan 01, 2020
Don't mind them!

(1) (Reply)

Amend constitution: Police Decentralization One Way Forward / Explosive: 17,000 Bombs Set To Explode In Imo State – Expert Warns / See What Alison-madueke’s Loot Can Fund In Nigeria’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.