Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) (1840 Views)

Uncharged Cellphones Banned On US Flights From Africa And Asia / Which African Passport Is Best To Travel Out From Thailand? / Thailand Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by Constantin: 8:36pm On Feb 04, 2007
Bangkok is the capital of Thailand which has around 80 million inhabitants. Thailand was one of the Asian tigers who began to modernize relatively late. Its economic aggressive expansion began to accelerate in the mid to the late 80´s of the last century (growth rates were in double-digit numbers at that time), the country experienced a slump in the Asian crisis of 1997 but recovered pretty fast. Economic growth of Thailand has become more sustainable since then (around 5-7% a year), But the consequences of the crazy boom years and of Thailand´s sound economy are highly visible, as you can see.

Bangkok the capital of Thailand and an Asian metropolis

Bangkok sky train

I will continue to add,
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2007
Have been to all the places above too, nice pictures.
OK, Bangkok is a bit smaller then Lagos, but those people there really manage to keep their city so neat and clean.
Why is this impossible in Lagos
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 10:10pm On Feb 04, 2007
Just compare the pix!

Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by naijacutee(f): 1:08am On Feb 05, 2007
I'm sure there are places in Thailand equivalent to those places in Lagos. Just like we have nice places too. We will get there. . . just give us time. Anyone with me?
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by Constantin: 3:15pm On Feb 05, 2007
Thailand has poor places, of course, but its social indicators are well ahead of our country. The governement recently a universal health care system that reaches into the most remote parts of Thailand. I am so surprised that Thialand stated its aggressive modernisation process pretty late. (80´s) as compared to oher Asian countries who began to catch up in the 60´s and 70´s. Thailand has a good urban middle-class and do not forget that Thialand has no oil worthy of mentioning like our country.

Bangko bigger than Lagos? Bangkok´s population exceed 10 million, it is a big city

More pictures of Bangkok

It might take some time to upload but it is worth waiting for it

green and clean parks for leisure

[img]http://www.cn-thai.co.th/Project%20Site/Genneral%20Project/All%20Season/ALL-SEASON-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/img/user/29/24/892924/215.jpg[/img]

look at the fantatsic architecture of the buildings

[img]http://www.cn-thai.co.th/Project%20Site/Genneral%20Project/SCB/SCB-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.cn-thai.co.th/Project%20Site/Genneral%20Project/SCB/SCB-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1puxmQQJQbe8JBW_lF399zXpVkBPqlYFc7FfnEX8bzDIaeW_V6gmPKeTPCx0s5qO20I5d-GbE3sx0J0EG2pJSB_8An8hdYWPTz0dvo3u2NLqI[/img]

Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by Constantin: 3:28pm On Feb 05, 2007
Bangkok´s international airport, just compare it to ours in Lagos

Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 9:06pm On Feb 05, 2007
OK, lets be honest, this airport is brandnew and also had some start-up problems, I still remember the old one with the golf-course between the runways.
Also they are buildung new airport in Lagos aren´t they. The we can judge.
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by VOR(m): 6:16pm On Feb 07, 2007
Sure Lagos airport may not be as spectacular but at least it operates.
Have a read of this about the new Bangkok airport:

[b]Bangkok airport problems expose corruption
PM - Friday, 2 February , 2007 18:25:00
Reporter: Karen Percy
LISA MILLAR: Just four months after it opened, Thailand's brand new Suvarnabhumi Airport is once again a construction zone, after cracks were discovered on sections of the runways and taxiways.

Repairs are already running into the tens of millions of dollars for the tarmac alone, never mind the problems of leaking pipes, cracked tiles, and broken toilets.

While the head of the company that runs the airport has stepped down, the investigation into what went wrong is far from over.

The problems have exposed not just cracks in the runways, but a corrupt corporate culture, where bribes and dodgy contracts and construction shortcuts are the norm.

South East Asia Correspondent Karen Percy reports.

KAREN PERCY: Even before it opened in September last year, Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport was shrouded in controversy. Now cracks have appeared on the runways and taxiways.

While the operating company, the Airports of Thailand, say passengers are not at risk, it is conducting a number of major investigations.

Outspoken AOT board member Tortrakul Yomnak.

TORTRAKUL YOMNAK: Even we spend a lot of money into the building, supposedly to be the first class, five star airport and now we get three star airport.

KAREN PERCY: Such straight talking hasn't always been forthcoming from the company. Today it has been revealed that the AOT's President, Chotisak Asapaviriya, has stepped down citing ill health.

The pressure has been mounting on him in recent weeks as the company failed to respond to the cracks and the deepening crisis.

Mr Chotisak is keeping a low profile today, but when the ABC spoke to him in September, just before the opening, he deflected the criticisms that the airport wasn't ready.

REPORTER: The question of course, that everybody wants to know, is the airport going to be ready on September 28th?

CHOTISAK ASAPAVIRIYA: Certainly, we are ready for the 28th, for the commission of acuities.

REPORTER: But going around today, there still seems to be a lot of work that needs to be done. You are absolutely confident there will be no delay?
CHOTISAK ASAPAVIRIYA: Yeah, there will be no delay.

KAREN PERCY: As it turns out, as many feared, the opening was rushed and now the operators aren't just contending with tarmac troubles, they are dealing with broken toilets, cracked tiles and increasingly hostile travelling public.

Allegations and speculation about wrongdoing went all the way to the top of the former government, with claims that the family and friends of the former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, were favoured for the numerous contracts to build the airport.

Suvarnabhumi was to have been the jewel in the crown for Mr Thaksin, who boasted that it would be the biggest and best airport in the world. That was before he was ousted by a military coup, just one week before the airport's opening.

As far back as 2005, there were reports of cracks in the runway even as the airport was still being built. Back then Mr Thaksin responded harshly to the allegations, which were reported by Bangkok Post journalist Sermsuk Kasitipradit, who lost his job over the story.

SERMSUK KASITIPRADIT: I reported on that day saying that western runway had a slight crack around 800 square metres, but during that time I have no idea. But what is happening now has confirmed that. You ask me whether I expect this, I say yes.

KAREN PERCY: Mr Sermsuk's source disappeared for a year and only resurfaced after Mr Thaksin was deposed.

REPORTER: Everyone else is blaming the former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra. Do you?

SERMSUK KASITIPRADIT: Well, Thaksin Shinawatra I think he was the most repressive government we ever have.

KAREN PERCY: The investigation into what's causing the runway cracks has taken on a new urgency with the management change at the Airports of Thailand.

But getting to the bottom of who's responsible for the bigger problems of bribery, dodgy contracts and building shortcuts is going to take much longer and will go to the very heart of the business culture in Thailand.

This is Karen Percy in Bangkok reporting for PM. [/b]

The latest I hear is that due to the problems it has had to close down and the old one re-opened.
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by iice(f): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2007
Beautiful, i love Bangkok. . .shopping and beaches! grin
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 8:23pm On Feb 08, 2007
iice:

Beautiful, i love Bangkok. . .shopping and beaches! grin

Sorry no beaches at Bangkok, but Pattaya is close :-)
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by iice(f): 12:36pm On Feb 09, 2007
LOL thanks, i meant to say Thailand but nwayz thanks for the update in my geography grin grin
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ikamefa(f): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2007
shopping !shopping! shopping till you drop! them stores are making me salivate grin
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 7:58pm On Feb 09, 2007
ikamefa:

shopping !shopping! shopping till you drop! them stores are making me salivate grin

The good thing about shopping in Thailand is: you can have all the big names and brands in fashion there quite cheap.
Just buy it in the shops and not on the streets, cos on the streets they only offer u copies and fakes.
But in the big stores they do have the real original stuff!
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by TerraCotta(m): 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2007
Looks amazing--even if they have corruption in their construction industry, at least they can boast of a working city transit system with elevated trains etc. My cousin was there last year and also loved it--she said the tailors are excellent and make great suits for less than 100 pounds.

Great photos, Constantin.
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ikamefa(f): 9:26pm On Feb 09, 2007
ruescho:

The good thing about shopping in Thailand is: you can have all the big names and brands in fashion there quite cheap.
Just buy it in the shops and not on the streets, because on the streets they only offer u copies and fakes.
But in the big stores they do have the real original stuff!

its the same thing here in the U.S bur them named brands aint cheap! cheesy
hum! i no pixs of thier cuisine @ topic? undecided
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 11:09am On Feb 10, 2007
ikamefa:

its the same thing here in the U.S bur them named brands aint cheap! cheesy
hum! i no pixs of their cuisine @ topic? undecided

@ ika
Think u don´t really want me to post some cuisine pics like I posted in the chinese food thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-37439.0.html

Believe me, also in Thailand they eat virtually EVERYTHING, the more u travel north the more u will find chinese cuisine, including worms and beetles, cats and doks, snakes and snails, just everything,

If u go to any restaurant there: just eat and don't ask!!!
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ruescho(m): 11:15am On Feb 10, 2007
TerraCotta:

Looks amazing--even if they have corruption in their construction industry, at least they can boast of a working city transit system with elevated trains etc. My cousin was there last year and also loved it--she said the tailors are excellent and make great suits for less than 100 pounds.

Great photos, Constantin.

@ terra cotta

True, best thing is: I gave them the latest Armani and Hugo Boss catalogues and they made a perfect copy for just a quarter of the price.
Copy means best quality sewing, high quality cashmere cloth, perfect shape in three fitting sessions. They just don't put the fake label, but u will not need it
cos everybody will see the quality. I succeeded with my Thailand smoking at the christmas ball of the british embassy!
This is the complete opposite to the fakes u can buy that only copy the label, but the rest is no quality.
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by iice(f): 12:47am On Feb 11, 2007
Hah Chinese eat anything and everything lol. . .I love some Thai foods thou. Chicken Pandan!!! I go to a thai restaurant atleast once a month.
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by ikamefa(f): 12:54am On Feb 11, 2007
iice:

Hah Chinese eat anything and everything lol. . .I love some Thai foods thou. Chicken Pandan!!! I go to a thai restaurant atleast once a month.

twinny why u no tell me sey u be lipsrsealed grin chicken pandan? shocked grin
Re: Tropical Thailand: One Of Asia´s Relatively Young "tiger Economies" (photos) by iice(f): 1:02am On Feb 11, 2007
Twinny U don come eh lol, i no be Chicken Pandan, but i love Chicken Pandan and Thai Curry. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Applied For A uk Student Visa Within Thr Last 3 Weeks / What Is The Requirements For Travelling To Guernsey / How To Get To Ibefo, In Ijagun Area Of Ogun State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.