Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics (3318 Views)

Gender Inequality In Nigerian Politics (1999 Vs 2015 Vs 2019) / Nnamdi Kanu Heals A Sick Man / Igbo Would Have Been President If They Understood Nigerian Politics – Igbokwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Markfemi2: 6:05am On Jul 04, 2017
borrowed the title of my article from the expression “sick man of Europe commonly referred to the Turkish Empire.” In the 19th century, it was believed that Turkey had fallen under the financial control of other nations. In the 1920s, Turkey was a typical Muslim hellhole with a long record of atrocities, ethnic cleansing, genocide, massacres, overwhelming and pernicious influence of Mullahs, inefficient government, bribery everywhere, and oppression of women.

The expression equally applies to Nigeria and of course Yoruba political space: corrupt and inefficient government, recklessness, lawlessness everywhere, failed system, corrupt judiciary and broken criminal justice system, brazen robbery and endless looting of the treasury, violence here and there, fear, panic, strife, grieve, by citizens from day and night marauders on our streets, our roads, and in our communities who kill at will. Unyielding overt and covert hostilities and tensions between the federating parts that will ultimately bring Nigeria into her knees.

It's easy to hide from the fight for survival if the fight is mythic in scale. And at this particular time in our history, things feel apocalyptic. The Yoruba deal makers who made possible the merger and alliance of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and Congress for Political Change (CPC) which became All Progressives Congress (APC) that produced Muhammadu Buhari as the president, have become cartoonishly immobilized by playing second fiddle in national affairs particularly the future of Yoruba race vis-a-vis on-going debate on the possible breakup of Nigeria. The Hausas have made their position known on the breakup of Nigeria when the northern youths gave three-month ultimatum to Igbo to vacate their region. Similarly, Igbo people continues to agitate for Biafra. Only Yorubas among the three could not agree with one voice on where they stand on the future of Nigeria and most importantly, on the future of Oduduwa people.

The present makeup of Yoruba political leadership is populated by cowards. This is evident by its prevarication on the all important issue of whether or not Yoruba will stay or leave Nigeria. Their cowardice to stand up and articulate the fears and concerns of Yorubas as vocally expressed by the other two groups make Yoruba the sick man of Nigeria. Amazingly, Yoruba political leadership has not yet figured out how to respond to the issue. I believe they have two choices: they may either unify and rally Yorubas around a common cause, or express their support to one ungovernable, stunted, barbaric, primitive one Nigeria and see Yoruba dissolve into the political abyss.

This is not the time for Yoruba political leaders to play a wait-and-see game. As cowards, they are content to play the better of two evils without resistance when faced with a political dilemma. They have refused to move in the best interest of majority of Yorubas, too afraid to take a stand because it is politically expedient for them to drag their feet. There's no person among them with the spine, the backbone, the moral constitution to convince other groups and their lackeys that Yorubas are more than forging political mergers, alliances, or alignment. They too can be resolute in determining their own fate and destiny.

It seems to me they need a deeper understanding of what the word progressive means. Let me be clear: any leader or leaders who fail to take a stand on behalf of their people are not only sell-outs, but blindly ignorant at best and flatly dangerous at worst. They are content to hope that time will present an advantageous opportunity to resist the coming breakup of Nigeria. They are content to hope that they can continue to operate as though business as usual will be enough. Yoruba people demands this is the time for the political leaders to abandon politics as usual, and act boldly and swiftly. The most basic resistance from them is to say no to one Nigeria where our people are impoverished, bed ridden by disease, joblessness, hopelessness, and paralyzed by fear and insecurity, and pinned to a cul-de-sac where the pursuit of happiness is impossible. They should refuse to play nicely, but protest with radical fervor any advances that do not favor our cause and course.

To me, the present Yoruba political leaders are not leaders built for leading, not built to protect the rights of our people, but only to protect their political spoils. By the time they wake up from their stupor, however, there may not even be a Nigeria left to save. They'll only be able to thank their strategy of waiting for an opportune time to start resisting of being part a country that's fast vanishing before their eyes. They will regret that they have not started their own movement and preparation for the inevitability a long time ago. May be now they can join the rest of us who want to live without wondering if we'll ever survive this new hellhole they help put us in. The Yoruba leadership need to wake the hell up!

The cowardice of such leaders to declare their stand in unambiguous language will be an indelible and damning part of their legacy. But one thing I'm sure of : history doesn't forget the noisy voices once the dust settles, the winners and losers. When our history is written, we'll celebrate those who exhibited bravery, and we'll decide the aggressively malignant. We'll cheer the heroic. History tells us that leaders who let their people down at times like these are the ones who run and hide in the woods until the dust settles. Political self-preservation in dire circumstances is just about the same as cowardice.

We have a word for people who are dominated by fear. We call them cowards. J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote: “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a shortcut to meet it.”

http://saharareporters.com/2017/07/03/yoruba-sick-man-nigeria-bayo-oluwasanmi
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by ettybaba(m): 6:14am On Jul 04, 2017
This is a very senseless article. It reeks of bigotry,ignorance and jealousy.
I pray this remains the most stupid thing I will read all day.
For those that has not read it please don't waste your precious time doing so like I did.
Shame.

11 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:

This is not the time for Yoruba political leaders to play a wait-and-see game. As cowards, they are content to play the better of two evils without resistance when faced with a political dilemma. They have refused to move in the best interest of majority of Yorubas, too afraid to take a stand because it is politically expedient for them to drag their feet. There's no person among them with the spine, the backbone, the moral constitution to convince other groups and their lackeys that Yorubas are more than forging political mergers, alliances, or alignment. They too can be resolute in determining their own fate and destiny.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by basty: 6:22am On Jul 04, 2017
I will not take you serious because, what is consistent about you is your inconsistency.
Your write up has shown that, you are speaking from two sides of your month. I don't see you as a Yoruba man.
You are looking for relevance and will not get the relevance. I have read through your posts and can see that you are in no way relevant to discus Yoruba as coward.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by basty: 6:26am On Jul 04, 2017
ettybaba:
I pray this remains the mist stupid thing I will read all day.
For those that has not read it please don't waste your precious time doing so like I did.
Shame.

He wants relevance and nobody will give him. He is an Igbo, changed his username, started as fair attaching Igbo coming back for his agenda of attacking Yoruba.

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Benekruku(m): 6:30am On Jul 04, 2017

OP should be tied to a Turbo-Charged 5.7Liter Toyota Tundra and dragged at an average speed of 140miles/hr over an untarred rocky road till your body shreds into pieces.

A long baseless, pointless and void write-up!
What has bravery gotten his land locked erosion ridden region? 3million souls who died on a platter of wood or the current reverse mode in development of the brave men. Your bravery has not made you relevant in the last 5 decaded of Nigeria and you here chest-beating about how reversed and unimportant your lots count.

Keep swallowing bravery and don't learn from history and your present predicaments!

Your lots re exporting themselves in droves and swarms to the land of your so called cowards on daily basis and you here bleating about how durable your chest can be beaten.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Markfemi2: 6:35am On Jul 04, 2017
ettybaba:
I pray this remains the mist stupid thing I will read all day.
Shame.

Hey calm down it was written by a Yoruba man and posted by me who is Yoruba

The issue now is what is our stand ?
We will be delusional to say the partnership with north is working cause it's not
They are caging Yemi from working simple cause he's not a northerner

So what is our stand ?
Enough of the diplomacy
Let's make a strong statement
Also why is tinubu so quiet about everything
Why is it only Fayose that's saying what Yorubas don't want to say out?
Enough of insults from others on Yoruba

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Eastfield1: 6:38am On Jul 04, 2017
was about posting this
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 6:39am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:
borrowed the title of my article from the expression “sick man of Europe commonly referred to the Turkish Empire.” In the 19th century, it was believed that Turkey had fallen under the financial control of other nations. In the 1920s, Turkey was a typical Muslim hellhole with a long record of atrocities, ethnic cleansing, genocide, massacres, overwhelming and pernicious influence of Mullahs, inefficient government, bribery everywhere, and oppression of women.

The expression equally applies to Nigeria and of course Yoruba political space: corrupt and inefficient government, recklessness, lawlessness everywhere, failed system, corrupt judiciary and broken criminal justice system, brazen robbery and endless looting of the treasury, violence here and there, fear, panic, strife, grieve, by citizens from day and night marauders on our streets, our roads, and in our communities who kill at will. Unyielding overt and covert hostilities and tensions between the federating parts that will ultimately bring Nigeria into her knees.

It's easy to hide from the fight for survival if the fight is mythic in scale. And at this particular time in our history, things feel apocalyptic. The Yoruba deal makers who made possible the merger and alliance of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and Congress for Political Change (CPC) which became All Progressives Congress (APC) that produced Muhammadu Buhari as the president, have become cartoonishly immobilized by playing second fiddle in national affairs particularly the future of Yoruba race vis-a-vis on-going debate on the possible breakup of Nigeria. The Hausas have made their position known on the breakup of Nigeria when the northern youths gave three-month ultimatum to Igbo to vacate their region. Similarly, Igbo people continues to agitate for Biafra. Only Yorubas among the three could not agree with one voice on where they stand on the future of Nigeria and most importantly, on the future of Oduduwa people.

The present makeup of Yoruba political leadership is populated by cowards. This is evident by its prevarication on the all important issue of whether or not Yoruba will stay or leave Nigeria. Their cowardice to stand up and articulate the fears and concerns of Yorubas as vocally expressed by the other two groups make Yoruba the sick man of Nigeria. Amazingly, Yoruba political leadership has not yet figured out how to respond to the issue. I believe they have two choices: they may either unify and rally Yorubas around a common cause, or express their support to one ungovernable, stunted, barbaric, primitive one Nigeria and see Yoruba dissolve into the political abyss.

It seems to me they need a deeper understanding of what the word progressive means. Let me be clear: any leader or leaders who fail to take a stand on behalf of their people are not only sell-outs, but blindly ignorant at best and flatly dangerous at worst. They are content to hope that time will present an advantageous opportunity to resist the coming breakup of Nigeria. They are content to hope that they can continue to operate as though business as usual will be enough. Yoruba people demands this is the time for the political leaders to abandon politics as usual, and act boldly and swiftly. The most basic resistance from them is to say no to one Nigeria where our people are impoverished, bed ridden by disease, joblessness, hopelessness, and paralyzed by fear and insecurity, and pinned to a cul-de-sac where the pursuit of happiness is impossible. They should refuse to play nicely, but protest with radical fervor any advances that do not favor our cause and course.

To me, the present Yoruba political leaders are not leaders built for leading, not built to protect the rights of our people, but only to protect their political spoils. By the time they wake up from their stupor, however, there may not even be a Nigeria left to save. They'll only be able to thank their strategy of waiting for an opportune time to start resisting of being part a country that's fast vanishing before their eyes. They will regret that they have not started their own movement and preparation for the inevitability a long time ago. May be now they can join the rest of us who want to live without wondering if we'll ever survive this new hellhole they help put us in. The Yoruba leadership need to wake the hell up!

The cowardice of such leaders to declare their stand in unambiguous language will be an indelible and damning part of their legacy. But one thing I'm sure of : history doesn't forget the noisy voices once the dust settles, the winners and losers. When our history is written, we'll celebrate those who exhibited bravery, and we'll decide the aggressively malignant. We'll cheer the heroic. History tells us that leaders who let their people down at times like these are the ones who run and hide in the woods until the dust settles. Political self-preservation in dire circumstances is just about the same as cowardice.

We have a word for people who are dominated by fear. We call them cowards. J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote: “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a shortcut to meet it.”
Well,when Igbo become mesmerized with yorubas dexterity,cleverness,wisdom,intelligence and sophistication and couldn't catch up with them,they result to name calling by calling Yorubas cowards and hypocrites to save themselves from hypertensive crisis.

Because,they,they will jump to the Atlantic ocean just to assess the depth.The same way there formal God before it was displaced by kanu nnamdi wasted 3000 000 Igbo people to prove to gowon that he is stronger than him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by PointZerom: 6:39am On Jul 04, 2017
basty:

He wants relevance and nobody will give him. He is an Igbo, changed his username, started as fair attaching Igbo coming back for his agenda of attacking Yoruba.

Spoon fed children everywhere, just face them with facts and watch them entertain you.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by hucienda: 6:40am On Jul 04, 2017
OP, source?

Update: Ok, Bayo. Thanks.

On the topic, it is factual of what everyone knows is going on in the country.
Majority of the folks from the defunct eastern region desire a new republic at second attempt, the core north are against anything disrupting the dysfunctional status quo (which largely benefits them) while the defunct western region are apparently split in the middle - and he makes the argument that his people take a stand.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 6:42am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:

We will be delusional to say the partnership with north is working cause it's not

So what is our stand ?
Enough of the diplomacy

YORUBA MAN INDEED.

The OP is a cowardly Igbo boy who didnt have the courage to attack his nemesis,the AFONJAS but had to masquerade as yoruba man for a while before he started attacking them.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Oblitz(m): 6:46am On Jul 04, 2017
chai
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 6:49am On Jul 04, 2017
The same cowardice that:

-,couldn't make the cowardly ekweremadu move the motion for referendum of their beloved biafra at the floor of the house.

-that couldnt make southeast governors speak the mind of an average Igbo man.

-the same cowardice that couldn't make ken nnamani,Anyim pius Anyim and Aldophus wabara replied prof Ango Abdulahi and junaid Muhammad.

-the same cowardice that made ken nnamani and kalu joined APC after PDP loss relevance

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Markfemi2: 6:51am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:

YORUBA MAN INDEED.

The OP is a cowardly Igbo boy who didnt have the courage to attack his nemesis,the AFONJAS but had to masquerade as yoruba man for a while before he started attacking them.

Calm down and stop acting like a BIAFRAN who thinks everything is about Afonja

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Markfemi2: 6:52am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:
The same cowardice that:

-,couldn't make the cowardly ekweremadu move the motion for referendum of their beloved biafra at the floor of the house.

-that couldnt make southeast governors speak the mind of an average Igbo man.

-the same cowardice that couldn't make ken nnamani,Anyim pius Anyim and Aldophus wabara replied prof Ango Abdulahi and junaid Muhammad.

-the same cowardice that made ken nnamani and kalu joined APC after PDP loss relevance

Please read
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by feelgoodInc: 6:53am On Jul 04, 2017
basty:
I will not take you serious because, what is consistent about you is your inconsistency.
Your write up has shown that, you are speaking from two sides of your month. I don't see you as a Yoruba man.
You are looking for relevance and will not get the relevance. I have read through your posts and can see that you are in no way relevant to discus Yoruba as coward.
lol he's a real Yoruba man, he's not biased, he's written things against the east and also the north too and has received curses from them too.

15 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 6:56am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:

Calm down and stop acting like a BIAFRAN who thinks everything is about Afonja

The OP is a cowardly Igbo boy who didnt have the
courage to attack his nemesis,the AFONJAS but
had to masquerade as yoruba man for a while
before he started attacking them.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:

So what is our stand ?
Enough of the diplomacy
The other yoruba leaders are simply too selfish and neck-deep in corruption to care.

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Eastfield1: 7:02am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:

lolz
take it easy.
ur blood dey boil
what says you about this one below
Oodua Nation: The Power Of A Dream By Remi Oyeyemi
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin at the American Conference on February 17, 1775. "There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable in action." - John F. Kennedy
BY REMI OYEYEMI
JUN 17, 2017
A s things continue to geometrically degenerate in this contraption of a tragedy euphemized as a country, called Nigeria, many members of several ethnic nationalities have been looking for a way out. Those who peopled Nigeria have been fed with a hope that things would improve since October 1, 1960. But rather than see the realization of the hope, misery and various forms of tragedies have been the lot of Nigerians.
Now if a country remains in this kind of cul-de-sac, it is imperative to begin to think of a way out. The need to think out of the box becomes a necessity. Clinical intellectual exploration becomes mandatory. If you are at the receiving end as a second class citizen and you hate eating crumbs when you should be at the table, you are not only worried and disturbed, you become challenged.
As a proud Yoruba son, raised to appreciate self-respect, dignity, and independence, finding yourself and your people in this kind of quagmire of enslavement and subjugation, where others decide the limit of your potentials when they are not your creator; you begin to wonder, to think, to express and to DREAM.
You begin to identify the hurdles, the challenges and imagine how to scale those hurdles and meet those challenges. You begin to examine the options available. You then engage in the basic comparative analysis to isolate the best of the options in lieu of your trajectory and your experience.
And you begin to DREAM.
It was the exceptionally distinguished Professor Banji Akintoye, the seminally brilliant Historian who inebriated me with the concept of "KNOW THYSELF." A simple but powerful concept that suggests that when you search for and identify who and what you're, your trajectory over the indelible sands of time would be less tortuous, less stressful and more meaningful as well as result oriented.
And you begin to DREAM.
This concept became a propeller that buoys the velocity of my intellectual expedition as I hunt for other options to Nigeria. I went into my History once again, in the course of which I met my forefathers and was regaled with their pride as well as their heroism.
I came in contact with their brilliance in social engineering, drank from the deep well of their philosophy, eat from their potpourri of ingenuity of their political sagacity, caroused in their comforting fundamental comprehension of faith as it relates to religion whence they dexterously interwoven their idea of monotheism with that of polytheism - an ingenious idea that naturally fosters religious freedom and tolerance, ever before the Caucasoid "Civilisation" makes it a vogue.
And you begin to DREAM.
I came in contact with their war skills and their bravery, their organizational skills, their adroitness in arts of all variations, their trading aptitude, their utmost respect for and or of the living as well as the dead because of the hereafter. I came in contact with myself. It was and still is a great discovery. I came to know myself. Better.
And I begin to DREAM.
Knowing myself better was and is still very refreshing. It renewed me. It reinforced me. It empowered me. It reinvigorated me. It re-energized me. It re-equipped me. And it further elicits and enhances the DREAM.
Yes, it enhances the dream, the DREAM of an Independent Nation for the Yoruba people, the dream of OÒDUÀ NATION. An Oòduà Nation where no one would be able to put a lid on your potentials as long as you are able. An Oòduà Nation where there would be human foibles but could and would be corrected, made better for the benefit of all. An Oòduà Nation where the best brains of the land would stay home and build their motherland and not take flight into another form of voluntary slavery across the planet.
I dream of an Oòduà Nation where MAN as espoused in Awoism, would be the center and focus of all existential developments embracing education/academia, health, economy, politics, religion, technology, arts, history, and communications. I dream of an Oòduà Nation where laws would be made for man and not man for the law.
I dream of an Oòduà Nation where justice, equality, equity would be watch words. I dream of an Oòduà Nation where patriotism would not be forced but just given as a matter of course. I dream of an Oòduà Nation where much would be given and much more would be expected of the citizen recipients."To choose the right moment to act is the great art of man....." - Napoleon Bonaparte
I dream of an Oòduà Nation where the Yoruba Culture would be rejuvenated and our Language rehabilitated. I dream of an Oòduà Nation imbued with a sense of decorum, decency and integrity. I dream of an Oòduà Nation that would be an envy of the rest of the world and the pride of the Negroid race.
As I dream, I am inspired by the exploits of Oodua as a man; I am encouraged by the courage of Moremi Ajasoro; I am enthralled by the wisdom of Olugbon, Aresa and Onikoyi. I am captivated by the endurance and perseverance of Owa Ajibogun; I am thrilled by the clairvoyance of Ajero and the Orangun. I am impressed by the gallantry and determination of Oranyan. I am enthused by the statesmanship of Bashorun Ogunmola; I am beguiled by the broad-mindedness of Sodeke.
I am dazzled by the bravery of Ogedengbe Agbogungboro, Aare Kunrunmi, and Aare Latoosa as well as the defiance and patriotism of Ishola Fabunmi of Oke-Mesi and Ogunsigun of Ijebu-Igbo among many others.
As I dream, I am enraptured by seminal ingenuity, commitment, dedication, sacrifice, loyalty and patriotism of Obafemi Awolowo, the arresting brilliance of Sapara Williams, Herbert Macaulay and Bode Thomas; I am fascinated by the commitment and dedication of the Oluwole Awokoyas, Samuel Akinsanyas, Adekunle Ajasins, Emmanuel Alayandes, D.T. Akinbiyis, Ayo Fasanmis, Hezekiah Oluwasanmis, Banji Akintoyes and many others.
As I dream, I ruminated over the seminally brilliant mind of Samuel Ladoke Akintola and his foibles and reckon he avails great lessons.I examined the travails of the Soroyes, Adegbenros, the Odeleye Fadahunsis and their ilk, and I wondered at their vibrancy. I looked at Olusegun Obasanjo, his craziness, boldness and limitations and I marvel.
I observed the gifted mind of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, his talents, vivacity and his crucial omissions and I felt galvanized. Then comes the reassuring valiance of the Alani Akinrinades, the Alabi Isama's, the Bajowas, Benjamin Adekunles, Adekunle Fajuyis and the Adeyinka Adebayos among several others and I am encouraged.
And I continued to dream.
Inured by the depth and commitment of the Amos Akingbas of this world, the Ayo Adebanjos of this world, the Femi Okunronmus of this world; the sacrifices of Abraham Adesanyas, the Bola Iges, the Lateef Jakandes, Bisi Onabanjos, the perseverance of the Olusegun Osobas, the Bisi Akandes and their ilk, I couldn't help but dream more.
From the accomplishments of Efunsetan Aniwura to those of Lawrence Omoles, Isaac Ojo Ajanakus, Adeola Odutolas, S. L. Edus, Henry Fajemirokuns, Jimoh Odutolas, Subomi Baloguns, T. A. Onis, E.O. Ashamus, Wahab Folawiyos, Bode Akindeles, Femi Johnsons, Lekan Salamis, Nathaniel Idowus, Alao Arisekolas, Yinka Folawiyos, Amos Adegokes, Razaq Okoyas, Kunle Ojoras, Molade Okoya-Thomas' among many others, I became more confident, that the imminent Oòduà Nation has what it takes.
Add into the mix the hypnagogic flair, beauty and richness of the Wole Soyinkas, Ola Rotimis, Laolu Ogunniyis, Dapo Aderogbas, Niyi Osundares and delirious innate endowments of the Duro Ladipos, Hubert Ogundes, Oyin Adejobis, Moses Olaiyas, Kola Ogunmolas, Akin Ogungbes, Ola Omonitans and their ilk.
This is complemented by the pulsating ingenuity and talents of the Haruna Isholas, I.K. Dairos, Fela Anikulapo - Kutis, Yusuf Olatunjis, Tatalo Alamus, Ebenezer Obey Fabiyis, Sunday Adeyeges (Sunny Ade), Prince Adekunles, Ayinla Omowuras, Adedara Arunra Loja -Obas, Elemure Ogunyemis, Kolawole Ayinlas, Sikiru Ayinde Baloguns and many more others.
A proud people. A proud History. A proud culture. A sound philosophy. Rich endowments. Rich resources in human and natural materials. A people, that has demonstrated over and over, the depth of their understanding of human nature in crisis management and confronting challenges. A people with limitless possibilities for now and the future but is facing arrested development because it is chained to a tragedy called Nigeria.
"...the strength of an endangered race lies in maintaining a homogenous cultural and political machinery." - Vanguard February 7, 2002.
I dream of a great future for the Yoruba people in a GREAT OÒDUÀ NATION. I dream of Oòduà Nation where we would be masters of our own political destiny. I dream of an Oòduà Nation where all our potentials would be unleashed economically; our agriculture rejuvenated purposefully; our industries manned and piloted by endowed individuals; our academia showcasing the best in our midst for the world to marvel at; our army to be modern, agile, nifty, efficient and patriotic; our police to be ably equipped, local, imbued with integrity and be a pride to all.
I dream of an Oòduà Nation that would not be without its own challenges or crisis; an Oòduà Nation where human nature would always emanate while it's negatives are constructively constricted for the good and progress of all. I am confident in the innate vibrancy of our culture the depth of which we can always reach to manage our crisis and turn to such to a source of a new strength.
Yes, there would be nay sayers. Some will be set against it for different reasons. Some would be afraid. Some would be detained by the fear of unknown; the fear of tomorrow, when it eventually comes. Some would be mentally arrested by greed, laziness and intellectual aridity. Some would be encumbered by the comfort of convenient slavery.
Others would make jest of this in various ways. They would label me as a protagonist of this imminent Oòduà Nation in many ways and call me names, insult me, ridicule me and stigmatise me as an ordinary dreamer. They would dismiss me as an unserious mind and a rabble rouser.
They forgot that if Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, Thomas Paine did not dream, there would not have been the America of today.
If Abraham Lincoln did not dream and pursue that dream, the gauntlet of which was later picked up by John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Medgar Evers among several others, Barrack Obama would not have been the President of the United States of America.
If Obafemi Awolowo, Herbert Macaulay, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Kwameh Nkrumah, Jomo Kenyatta, Robert Mugabe, Sendar Senghor, Kenneth Kaunda, Julius Nyerere, Robert Mugabe, Nelso Mandela and others did not dream, Africa would still remain in colonialism.
Without the dreams of a Mahatma Gandhi from the shores of South Africa, India wallowed in bondage. Without the dreams of Baron Stephen Langston, Magna Carta Libertatum ("the Great Charter of the Liberties" , commonly called Magna Carta of 1215 would have been mute. Without the dreams of he most influential Enlightenment thinkers like Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, Voltaire, Baron de Montesquieu, and Jean Jacques Rousseau the changes across Western Europe, especially France and Germany, in the 18th and 19th Centuries would have been stillborn.
"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable in action. " - John F. Kennedy
Yet, others would take recourse to fear mongering; shouting on the rooftops of a War that may never happened. They would prop up peace as the only desirable. They would argue that the first Nigeria's Civil War was this and that. They agree that Nigeria has not worked. They know it is not working and would not work.But they are paralysed by fear and inaction, wishing away the doomsday that is at the door, thereby increasing the cost of our freedom through "comfortable inaction."
They also forget that in an atmosphere of injustice, peace can never reign. And where there is no peace, there can never be progress. They forget that in an atmosphere of indignity, man would revolt. They forget that the spirit of man abhors subjugation, denigration and straight or proxy enslavement. They forget that power never concedes anything unless and until it is forcefully taken away from it.
They forget that we need to save our women and children by opting out of Nigeria, without having to go to war.
They forget that there are so many gates into a market and that we don't have to shoot bullets to free ourselves, even though, it may be necessary.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin at the American Conference on February 17, 1775.
But this would not stop the March to freedom. It would not stop the March of freedom. It would not impede the March of the Yoruba people to their manifest destiny. Many speak against it publicly for political correctness but secretly praying, craving and desiring it. Everyone wants to be free but are scared of breaking off the chains of the Nigerian tragedy. Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die, apology to Peter Tosh.
Freedom, dignity, and self respect of a people is priceless. We have to live and if necessary, die on our feet. It is better, more dignifying than to scavenge on our knees for crumbs from those holding our people in political and economic bondage.
Very soon, it would be evident to those who are using fear of war or fear of any kind as a weapon to interrupt this freedom song, asking us to give up essential liberty, freedom, dignity, and Oòduà Nation to obtain a little temporary safety that neither their liberty nor safety could or would be guaranteed by the vampire Nigerian State, when the chips are down. The Yoruba people shall be free.
It is time to go home to Oòduà Nation.
"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility – I welcome it.”
- John F. Kennedy, in his Inaugural Address January 20, 1961
Please follow me on Twitter: @OyeyemiRemi
https://www.nairaland.com/3869751/oduduwa-nationthe-power-dream-remi

1 Like

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 7:05am On Jul 04, 2017
"The Hausas have
made their position known on the breakup of Nigeria
when the northern youths gave three-month ultimatum
to Igbo to vacate their region. Similarly, Igbo people
continues to agitate for Biafra. Only Yorubas among
the three could not agree with one voice on where they
stand on the future of Nigeria and most importantly, on
the future of Oduduwa people.""

-not all hausa/fulani agree with Arewa youth and they are not speaking the mind of all northerners.

-not all Igbos agree with nnamdi kanu especially the Igbo elites

-,Yorubas has not being silent,its just that yorubas are not speaking with common voice just like some northerners are disagreeing with arewa youth and Igbo elites and northern nigeria Igbo are disagreeing with nnamdi kanu

Afenifere reveals what could lead to Nigeria's break-
up ▷ NAIJ ...
https://www​.naij.com/1106114- afenifere- ...
- Afenifere has told the northern elders to prepare for a
break-up of Nigeria if they continue to oppose the
restructuring of ...

If Nigeria wants to break up , let it break up - Afenifere
urges ...
https://www​.naij.com/1109254-if- nigeria...
11 Jun 2017 ... Senator Femi Okurounmu, the leader
of the pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere has urged all
southerners living in northern Nigeria to return home
before October 1. NAIJ.com gathered that Okurounmu
made this statement while reacting to the 3 months
eviction notice issued by Arewa Youth ...

Why we will break Nigeria into two – Afenifere leader
dailypost.ng/.../will-break- nigeria-two- ...
1 Jun 2017 ... Why we will break Nigeria into two –
Afenifere leader, Okurounmu. By Seun Opejobi on June
1, ... Biafra: Stop praying for Nigeria not to breakup –
MASSOB warns Pastors · Biafra: SKC ...
Afenifere leader, Okurounmu reveals why Nigeria
should break ...

www​.abacityblog.com/.../ afenifere-leader...
1 Jun 2017 ... Afenifere leader, Okurounmu reveals
why Nigeria should break-up . A leader of the pan
Yoruba socio ...
Tribune: Prepare for break-up , Afenifere tells North -
Nigeria ...
https://nnn.com.ng/ nigerian ews/.../prepar...
21 May 2017 ... PAN-Yoruba socio-political
organisation, Afenifere , has told the Northern elders to
prepare for a ...

Nigeria's Breakup : Afenifere and Ohaneze knock Ango
www​.weeklypostng.org/.../ nigerias - ...
2 Sep 2016 ... The Afenifere spokesman added, “Prof
Abdullahi cannot scare anybody with breakup (of
Nigeria); not ...

Prepare For Break-up , Afenifere Tells North - Politics
(7) - Nigeria
www​.nairaland.com/... break-up - afenifere...
23 May 2017 ... Re: Prepare For Break-up , Afenifere
Tells North by ... One Nigeria is the only way forward.
Bliv it or not.
Prepare For Break-up , Afenifere Tells North - Politics
(5) - Nigeria
www​.nairaland.com/... break-up - afenifere...
23 May 2017 ... A restructured Nigeria is more
desirable than a break up . This issue is bigger than
any politics.
Prepare For Break-up , Afenifere Tells North - Politics -
Nigeria
www​.nairaland.com/.../prepare- break-up - ...
22 May 2017 ... PAN-Yoruba socio-political
organisation, Afenifere , has told the Northern elders to
prepare for a ...
We need restructuring, not breakup , Afenifere ,
Ohanaeze tell ...
leaders.ng/we-need-restructuring-not- ...
The Afenifere spokesman added, “Prof Abdullahi
cannot scare anybody with breakup (of Nigeria ); not
those of us who ...
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by funlord(m): 7:06am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:

I don't think if he was actually an Igbo man he would have had the guts to have posted this and not shot himself afterwards!

Markfemi2:

Proudly afonja anyday anytime

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by AmuDimpka: 7:06am On Jul 04, 2017
The Yoruba will say an Igbo man wrote this....Trust them and their reasoning
Markfemi2:

http://saharareporters.com/2017/07/03/yoruba-sick-man-nigeria-bayo-oluwasanmi

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 7:09am On Jul 04, 2017
Eastfield1:
lolz take it easy. ur blood dey boil
lolz,may be after you've take care of your frozen brain.
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Eastfield1: 7:17am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:

lolz,may be after you've take care of your frozen brain.
no body wants to challenge the writer. just ranting all over the place & calling him names

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Warship: 7:19am On Jul 04, 2017
The Yoruba Nation is like a divided house with no clear majority.

They are neither here or there
Majority of Middle Belt have taken a stand that they are not going with Arewa.
Likewise Igbos, NigerDeltans and Arewa people.
Unfortunately today, Yorubas have not articulated were they stand

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 7:21am On Jul 04, 2017
Eastfield1:

no body wants to challenge the writer.
just ranting all over the place & calling him names

You see,the brain is actually frozen.That personal opinion of the writer has been busted already.Go and study the thread again.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Eastfield1: 7:27am On Jul 04, 2017
victorDanladi:

You see,the brain is actually frozen.That personal opinion of the writer has been busted already.Go and study the thread again.
Bursted?
you mean by calling him Igbo??
lolz

Yoruba's why do you people hate the truth

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Markfemi2: 7:28am On Jul 04, 2017
Warship:
The Yoruba Nation is like a divided house with no clear majority.

They are neither here or there

Majority of Middle Belt have taken a stand that they are not going with Arewa.

Likewise Igbos, NigerDeltans and Arewa people.

Unfortunately today, Yorubas have not articulated were they stand

Yorubas support restructuring and want Kwara and Kogi back in their folds along side control of all resources in Yoruba land

1 Like

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by Warship: 7:30am On Jul 04, 2017
Markfemi2:

Yorubas support restructuring and want Kwara and Kogi back in their folds along side control of all resources in Yoruba land

But Yorubas like Lia Mohammed, Dele Momudu etc are against Restructuring with lots of Yorubas online supporting them.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 7:32am On Jul 04, 2017
Eastfield1:

Bursted?
you mean by calling him Igbo??
lolz

Yoruba's why do you people hate the truth

lolz,May those yorubas you are talking of copied it from Igbo(s).

you asked question and you also answered it yourself may be out of delusion of guilt.You are so preoccupied that someone called him Igbo that you couldn't read other posts where he was not called Igbo.Mr man,you need to relax.
Re: Yoruba : Sick Man Of Nigerian Politics by victorDanladi: 7:35am On Jul 04, 2017
Warship:

But Yorubas like Lia Mohammed, Dele Momudu etc are against Restructuring with lots of Yorubas online supporting them.

Markfemi2 just told you the kind of restructuring yoruba wants.

Dele Momudu and lai Muhammad are not speaking for the yorubas just like some Igbo believes nnamdi kanu is not speaking for them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VP Osinbajo Commend Youths For Their Desire To Contribute To Nation Building / Expose: How Gov Amosun Plot The Fall Of Kemi Adeosun / Why Are Yoruba Apc Members Keen On A Sw Vp For Pdp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.